Options

[Tokusatsu] Trademark Season! ZO+J+Shin Preorders! Ultraman Arc 7/26!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The adaptation is much less horny brained than the manga

So I've heard & gathered. Which is good. There's nothing wrong with tackling sexual content (and for good or ill, it's a long standing part of detective stories), but from what I've seen the manga mostly does it by... Random nudity & titillation

Which uh, that ain't it.

Cutting it out has let the actual fun stuff shine through.
    I wonder if they're going to spell out that both Shotaro & Terui are possible high dopes - Shotaro has the fighting skills from the Joker memory, and Terui has the accelerated physiology that lets him heal up so fast

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A picture has popped up, showing off new upper-armor for one of Kamen Rider Geats' Riders.

A bit too close for comfort but at least we can now see Tycoon's complete helmet (when you take a look at the full picture that is).

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It's kinda nice that instead of starting with their base form which quickly gets overtaken by different form changes, they're slowly working to what seems to be standard complete forms, and Tycoon is looking good imo

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So I have no real experience with Kamen Rider, but it does strike me as odd that the various Riders in this new show have powers that range from "has a bow" to "vague zombie powers."

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    You'll note that the zombie thing is a different kind of toy you insert in to the belt, a bigger one and thus giving you a wider power set

• Options
    So I have no real experience with Kamen Rider, but it does strike me as odd that the various Riders in this new show have powers that range from "has a bow" to "vague zombie powers."

The transformation trinkets for Kamen Rider Geats are Raise Buckles. Keeping in mind that the setting for the show is a real-life battle royale of sorts, the ones that roughly all share the same shoulder-strap armor are the minor versions or Armed going by their shared description upon use and are meant to be kinda crap. Think of it like the basic weapons you can scrounge up in Fortnite or the infamous Mozambique from Apex Legends. Sure you can take out enemies with these but it'll be tough due to their minuscule power. Ones like Magnum and Zombie are the rarer stuff, offering better armor, weapons and stats.

Boost is on a whole other level then the major Buckles which is why it's (for now anyway) a one-round-use-only Buckle. Kinda like the very special weapons you find in droppods in Apex Legends.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Yeah this season has been a bit different with them having essentially "powerless" or blank forms with just the top of their helmet, and then they grab generic upgrades ranging from weak to powerful due to the Battle Royale game setting

It seems like they're working towards them having "signature" powers/forms though. Like Boost/Magnum seems like Geats signature/default form since it matches his colors, Zombie looks like half of Buffa's signature look, and that Ninja form for Tycoon appears to be half his signature form just based on it matching his colors

I'm just speculating though

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Partly it's also just the video game theme this one has going on - this season is heavily riffing on Fortnite and PUBG (per word of the writers).

But also in recent years there's been a greater and greater trend towards riders being able to swap and pass around transformation doodads, mainly because this lets them make more toys and sell more plastic, but it also helps cut costs down i suspect. (You can see a bit of this in like Saber - i'd love to see the behind the scenes on how those suits went together, it'd be really cool i suspect)

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Musical belts, musical belts, musical belts

Sorry my first Heisei was Faiz, about the time it was entering the final stretch or so, so that dynamic is burnt into my brain for eternity

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »

Sorry my first Heisei was Faiz, about the time it was entering the final stretch or so, so that dynamic is burnt into my brain for eternity

It's really fun to actually track this sort of thing through the years. My first series was Decade, though I pivoted into Blade pretty quick.

Just seeing how W changed up the formula, then how Zero-one etc, it's all fascinating. Especially the way they've gotten less and less reliant on Monster of the Week stories, and pushed multi rider drama more and more

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's crazy to go back and compare Kuuga to the Reiwa era shows, too. It's just as huge a difference as when the Showa characters show up in Decade and such.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I need to watch Kuuga proper still (I’ve seen a good chunk but intermittently on Tokushoutsu’s marathons) now that I have the BluRay set, but yeah it’s just such a different tonal piece to neo-Heisei and Reiwa

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It's crazy to go back and compare Kuuga to the Reiwa era shows, too. It's just as huge a difference as when the Showa characters show up in Decade and such.

One thing I'm still grumpy with both Zi-o and Decade for (other than some hilariously atrocious suit design) is how often they went for let's do a weird alternate universe version of the show, instead of playing into here's why X show was awesome

• Options
    according to a yahoo japan interview with an anonymous staff member, asakura yui reported multiple instances of sexual harassment from coworkers on kamen rider revice

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

It's really fun to actually track this sort of thing through the years. My first series was Decade, though I pivoted into Blade pretty quick.

Just seeing how W changed up the formula, then how Zero-one etc, it's all fascinating. Especially the way they've gotten less and less reliant on Monster of the Week stories, and pushed multi rider drama more and more

The change away from MOTW stories came drastically from Gaim onwards. Big issue is that even with good shows like Double, Fouze and OOO, you had "oh, the monster escaped again in order to make the episode a two parter!". That was kind of an issue.

• Options
    yeah in gaim you just had protagonists refusing to ask the obvious questions they should be asking because it would make the plot happen too fast

• Options
    according to a yahoo japan interview with an anonymous staff member, asakura yui reported multiple instances of sexual harassment from coworkers on kamen rider revice

I heard of that. Egh, I shudder to think who she might be talking about. Plus I think her agency dumped her in part because of it which is worse.

• Options
    the detective work done based on who she stopped appearing in scenes with/ changes in character writing overall seem to point to hikaru's actor but that's all circumstantial

• Options
    edited September 2022
    We have more shots of Tycoon Ninja form, plus the next upgrades for Don Momotaro and Don Onitaijin (and what seems to be a Don Murasame double or upgrade?)

Geats:
    wi8wbeez20vt.jpeg

DonBrothers:
    ynx08b3cfb1j.jpeg
    vymn3ql5iysj.jpeg
    o1jyz984zwgt.jpeg
    ibaqddax4tit.jpeg
    cumowkx7zqht.jpeg
    qe4xg1zti6te.jpeg
    qb82cu2fqcd0.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Can y'all explain how when they switch a plug-in from one side of the belt to the other that it transforms their arms into the legs and vice versa?

Like does it hurt?

• Options
    Can y'all explain how when they switch a plug-in from one side of the belt to the other that it transforms their arms into the legs and vice versa?

Like does it hurt?

E7pE9nf.jpg

Seriously, it's unclear. The Drivers this series look tech-based but there's no actual clue yet if they're just highly advanced or if there's some otherworldly factor in play here. Whatever power the DGP has, it's certainly reality-warping seeing the results of the first two episodes alone.

• Options
    Here's a better look at the upcoming gear-additions for Kamen Rider Geats.
    AuwxGrV.jpg

• Options
    My favorite color is green, and I love a good fluorescent or neon, so I'm a big fan of this.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kinda interesting that Tycoon has been using the armed bow, and now his upgrade is also kinda sorta a bow?

I'm wondering if it evolves or something, it'd fit the video game theme

• Options
    Those are all some good boys

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    So with the Don Onitaijin upgrade did anyone else notice there seems to be another helmet in the shield?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Ultraman Decker is starting to pick up speed at halfway through!
    Decker shows up early in the episode and loses a fight
    They say it's been an in-show-time year since the first episode
    Hanejiro is back in the Terraphaser to team-up with Decker in the second half to defeat Sphere-Neomegas
    Asakage, the TPU tech guy, finds out Asami is Decker
    Neomagus returns as the kaiju of the week and is powered up by the Sphere. I think this has been a pretty clever way to maintain a "monster of the week" system, but also get reuse out of costumes. They get to use the same costume again, just with some embellishments (and in this case, parts of different kaiju suits from previous episodes)

• Options
    So if I’m watching Kuuga for the first time on this new bluray, should I have the Grongi translated? Or will that ruin the first time experience?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So if I’m watching Kuuga for the first time on this new bluray, should I have the Grongi translated? Or will that ruin the first time experience?

The original broadcast did not translate, and the DVDs had the option.

I think some hardcore fans have big opinions on this, but I think it's much clearer and more enjoyable if you have Grongi subtitles.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Renzo wrote: »

The original broadcast did not translate, and the DVDs had the option.

I think some hardcore fans have big opinions on this, but I think it's much clearer and more enjoyable if you have Grongi subtitles.

Yeah, I was aware of the original broadcast, which is why I was curious. Do I go in the way originally intended?

I've thought about it, and honestly I may never watch Kuuga a second time (I mean there's just so much stuff to watch, play, do), so I'm going to keep the Grongi on because I want to know what they say. It's Kamen Rider, the stories aren't intricate mindbenders, so even if it spoils some stuff, I think I'll live

On that note, I've watched the first two eps and it's rad, I love the physical damage and brutality of the fights

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Cutie Honey: The Live just had an episode about Violent Honey, who turns blonde and has a heat aura that disintegrates anything near her until the heroes and villains all team up to overpower and then depower her. Amazing fight scenes, great effects, just a good time all around.

Then the next episode was about Honey falling in love with the evil bat man that is twenty years older than her, after bonding through chicken fighting a married couple made up of a fish monger wife with stomach missiles and heroically caped husband she frequently used as a projectile. Then the one American on the show was gruesomely decapitated by a schoolgirl.

This show is very good.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Xm6GR4a.png

More of the cast members for the Fuuto PI stage-show. You might recognize a couple of them if you know your Kamen Rider side-stories.

• Options
    More promo shots of the Shin Ichigou Figurise Standard for release in March, looks like two kinds of muffler:
    oy0rq68jqag8.jpeg
    tvya147y51md.jpeg
    y36v1midi42u.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I like the suit designs for GEATS almost as much as Kabuto but the name is goofy