As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Nu [Gundam] thread isn't just for shows!

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
edited July 2022 in Social Entropy++
Gunpla are plastic model kits based on the Gundam TV shows and movies! They come in all sorts of grades (complexity) and scales (size)

Sometimes they build 1:1 versions of these things, like this new one in Fukuoka:

yrogzwinmfur.jpg

...and then they made model kits out of that particular new Nu variant:

szxtxhluztwm.jpeg

It's a vicious cycle of big and small statues, much like war itself. Maybe there's a metaphor in there.

It it's not based on a Gundam, then it's just a plamo, plastic model kit!

The newest upcoming Gundam show is The Witch From Mercury and it looks pretty dang good!

https://youtu.be/mYd_l3E7yOc

Similarly the associated Witch From Mercury kits are looking very nice:

https://youtu.be/rDnoY_r5mqc

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay, i was thinking of making a backlog thread... But delaying kept me from having to!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    b32r0qybj6oj.jpeg

gundam died for our plastic sins

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Plagun, you say

• Options
    Oh fuck I didn't realize the G-Witch kits were up for pre-order now

Ugh god I shouldn't buuuuuut

• Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    The most important reveal from the Witch From Mercury kits:
    There's a Haro!
    zyp4d2vy5pel.jpg

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... not.. sure I'm a fan of how that hip joint is assembled...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The hand probably has a peg that Haro plugs into, meaning that to hold Haro you're shoving her hand up his ass.

• Options
    Store just put up pre-orders for the Lfrith and Beguir-Beu.

I tend to stick to RG, MG, and PG in general. But... These sets look badass, they probably won't get more advanced sets for a bit, and helping preorder numbers would help the store with allocation...

*grumbles, looks at backlog*

• Options
    I've been burned out on building Gunpla, and as I tell my wife I only paint when I'm happy (so very little painting since Feb 2021). I recently looked at the 10 or so kits in my backlog and decided that I'm not going to paint the MG Gundam Astray Red Dragon any time soon, so I would go ahead and build it and detail as normal.

And, this kit has single handedly reinvigorated my love for Gunpla.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I used to build Zoid kits and loved doing that, but the issue i always have is i love the building of them... and then i'm stuck with huh, neat model i guess, uh crap what do i actually do with this?

What i'm saying is that the Build series needs to become reality already so i have a proper excuse to get into Gunpala.

Also i'm really hoping Witch from Mercury lives up to the hype it's generating, because everything we've seen so far looks cool as fuck. (And you know, i dont want them to fuck up the first time they've actually given us a female protag)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Always hold your Haro.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I used to build Zoid kits and loved doing that, but the issue i always have is i love the building of them... and then i'm stuck with huh, neat model i guess, uh crap what do i actually do with this?

What i'm saying is that the Build series needs to become reality already so i have a proper excuse to get into Gunpala.

Also i'm really hoping Witch from Mercury lives up to the hype it's generating, because everything we've seen so far looks cool as fuck. (And you know, i dont want them to fuck up the first time they've actually given us a female protag)

I think Bandai is still chugging away at that “scan your gunpla” game deal thing. Some months back they had an event where you could try it, but it seemed limited to RX-78-2 builds (I presume because they only designed with that set up of animations and weapons in mind)

Honestly that’s going to be where such a thing lives or dies: scanning your kit is going to be easy enough, especially if they set it up so you have to go to a store to scan your model (since it would be easier than having to deal with anything involving a home photogrammetry set up), but then you have to get into “how does this model move? What are its abilities? It’s gear?

There’s a reason that Gundam Build Real’s version of things involved having an actual coder on your team, because any sufficently unique Gunpla would have to have all those elements hand crafted in the simulation

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ok but when do we get the magic 3d printer machine from ReRise that spits out runners of custom parts

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktZAuhdCus

Stumbled across this via Twitter, where it was just the part of the modeler pouring all the panel liner on the tank

It worked! It actually cleaned up into a really nice look!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Lanz wrote: »

I think Bandai is still chugging away at that “scan your gunpla” game deal thing. Some months back they had an event where you could try it, but it seemed limited to RX-78-2 builds (I presume because they only designed with that set up of animations and weapons in mind)

Honestly that’s going to be where such a thing lives or dies: scanning your kit is going to be easy enough, especially if they set it up so you have to go to a store to scan your model (since it would be easier than having to deal with anything involving a home photogrammetry set up), but then you have to get into “how does this model move? What are its abilities? It’s gear?

There’s a reason that Gundam Build Real’s version of things involved having an actual coder on your team, because any sufficently unique Gunpla would have to have all those elements hand crafted in the simulation

I still just want the fantasty version of Build Divers so i can build some awesome cross between the Vidar and Lupus Rex, and then go to town on people.

Screw reality getting in the way! (Also we totally need to have a Build Divers/Build Fighters where the team's gundams are riffing on Kamen Rider/Super Sentai)

Edit: Like this!
    __gundam_exia_kamen_rider_build_00_gundam_and_kamen_rider_cross_z_gundam_and_3_more_drawn_by_yanagi_joe__sample-ca118730971371d772e28328fe1b9a56.jpg

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
  • Options
    In building the MG Astray Red Dragon I glued some of the small detail parts in, and one of the places that uses those parts is the hip joint. Thankfully I was able to get the glue to break on one of the hips, but the other broke the peg in trying to separate the parts. Thankfully, due to Amazon having the MG Astray Red Frame on sale for $30 at one point, I had a spare in my closet. So, I pinned the broken peg and repaired the mostly immobile hip, then took good parts to make a new one. So if I decide to build this kit in the future, I will have a complete kit, just one leg will never be posable to the side.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Still haven't finished putting together the Hi-Nu funnels, but also I went to re pose it, and noticed the booster is still really loose v.v luckily it's not super noticable, and I've been considering just removing them entirely, we'll see. I need to finish it up so I can start my RG Tallgeese. Or maybe the small pile of 30mm I got for Christmas.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Finally got the MG virtue gundam display stand and then realized I have no where to actually set it up at.

I really need to organize and move stuff around.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    After some shipping weirdness, another big "get" for my collection just showed up!

... Have you heard I like wings?

ecUlmF4l.jpg

iOHgaeQh.jpg

du4qTcFh.jpg

Ooooh, it comes with a stand!

• Options
    Have any of you guys moved to a new house/apartment with your kit collection and can give me tips on safely packing and transferring them?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Have any of you guys moved to a new house/apartment with your kit collection and can give me tips on safely packing and transferring them?

Lots and LOTS of bubble wrap.

Though as my collection grew, I started trying my best to just make sure things don't move. This usually involves removing limbs on my Zoids, so they'll sit flat. Be careful of anything soft or fragile, especially in terms of weight on top of the figure.

• Options
    Do you leave the kits assembled or pop the limbs and other large bits off?

• Options
    Depends on the kit, but generally disassemble things, especially if I'm worried about stress. My biggest concern is hard plastic rubbing against things.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I used lots of bubble wrap, packed everything into boxes, and then I moved those boxes personally in my vehicle rather than having the movers put it on their truck.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sandwich baggies! Individually bag each kit, after removing any delicate pieces and letting them float free in the bag (especially v-fins, do not leave them attached) then pack many kits into a box tight enough to prevent movement.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Last time I moved, I took 1 gallon ziploc bags and put each kit in a bag in a more or less standing position. Any guns or pointy bits that were easily removable were removed and placed into a smaller ziplock, that I then placed with the bot in the 1 gallon bag. I lay out the bags into a cardboard box, then put a layer of bubble wrap before adding the next layer of bots.

I also bought a pack of tackle box inserts and used those to hold some of the more delicate accessories like v-fins and effect parts. I used the bins and a post-it so I'd know which bot to put the parts on later.

My next move in 6-8 years is going to be a nightmare, because last time I only had a dozen or so Gunpla. Now I'm over 150 kits (in ~9 years of collecting).

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Having moved last November, I found cardboard wine crates pretty useful in moving my Gunpla. Combine with the baggies mentioned above for maximum moveage.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Heads up that subs for The Witch From Mercury's prologue are out in the wild - which in turn means spoilers are also out in the wild, if you're trying to stay unspoiled on it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So the Dark Horn zoid got reissued. I kind of wished they would reissue the red gun sniper kit

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Supernova (known for skirting licensing with Gundams and Zoids) is moving to OC mecha.

Specifically, this spiky unit: https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/xh-01-hunting-falcon-1-100-scale-model-kit

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So the Dark Horn zoid got reissued. I kind of wished they would reissue the red gun sniper kit

Which one?

Edit: now the above there? That's lance heaven.

Athenor on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Supernova (known for skirting licensing with Gundams and Zoids) is moving to OC mecha.

Specifically, this spiky unit: https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/xh-01-hunting-falcon-1-100-scale-model-kit

that is a cool ass Original The Not-Gundam

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I saw some photos the other day of a little scene with a Z'Gok in some shallow water. I don't know if it had been painted or top coated at all - could a Tamiya flat clear coat stand up to a little water if I wanted to take some similar photos, or would it come off?

• Options
    Nah it's water resistant. Note that most dioramas that have water actually use a clear two-part epoxy resin.

• Options
    This one was actually outside, looked like a pond or river bank

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/r_UkOgDTrik

Posted this over in the general anime thread some days ago since I didn't see a Gundam thread up. I tried the demo and it felt nice. Probably the only odd thing I found is that (at least in the demo), the game has cutscenes that you need to go to an in-game library to view and there's no option to tick on or off to let you watch them as they become available automatically like the rest of the game's cutscenes. You just get a notice that there's a cutscene you can now watch in the library. I get the idea why since some of them are summaries of different Gundam timelines and people playing likely know about them but there's at least a couple that explain somewhat important stuff in relation to the game itself and it baffles me you gotta play them manually to see them.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Got some more Mecha musume kits out for delivery today: ATK Girls Heracross and Titans. Given they're themed on rhino and stag beetles respectively, I've been considering painting and/or further customizing them on another pair of pint-sized beetle-based robots...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Got some more Mecha musume kits out for delivery today: ATK Girls Heracross and Titans. Given they're themed on rhino and stag beetles respectively, I've been considering painting and/or further customizing them on another pair of pint-sized beetle-based robots...

Beetleborgs?!

>_>