As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Actual Questions on the Taiwanese Driver's License Exam, and Respective Answer Choices

sarukunsarukun RIESLINGOCEANRegistered User regular
Drivers have to abide by the law, because:
(1) they don't want to be penalized
(2) it's their responsibility and duty, as well as being safer for themselves and others
(3) they are under surveillance. (!!!!)

Which of the following should be the priority for drivers:
(1) respecting human life
(2) speeding if they are in a hurry
(3) enjoying the scenery all the way to their destination.

If passengers leave their valuables in your vehicle, you are required to:
(1) keep them as your own property
(2) donate them to charity organizations
(3) take them to the nearest police station so the owner can be notified.

Drivers often lose their tempers and become aggressive when they see reckless pedestrians or vehicles being driven recklessly. In this situation, you should:
(1) be patient and courteous
(2) not give an inch
(3) respond the same way.

Passengers:
(1) may stretch their arms and neck out the window
(2) may not stretch their arms and neck out the window
(3) may stretch their arms and neck out the window on summer days, but not when the
weather turns cold.

I love this country.

A duck!LucedesBahamutZEROMunkus BeavercB557MechMantisOlivawEddyPeewiDouglasDangerTynnanDarkPrimusPolaritie

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That last one is 3, right?

sarukunMunkus BeaverTynnan
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    A duck! wrote: »
    That last one is 3, right?

You're going to jail.

More questions!

To ensure safety for themselves and the others, drivers should improve their conduct in daily life by always:
    (1) controlling themselves and helping others >>>>>> I'm going to jail.
    (2) discouraging others from driving aggressively
    (3) trying to find some way to give others a hard time.

I am a good driver and always abide by the traffic rules. To help ensure traffic safety, when drivers break traffic laws, I hope police officers will:
    (1) use all lawful means to examine drivers and strictly penalize drivers who break the law
    (2) not examine or penalize anyone
    (3) examine drivers, but not penalize them.

If drivers want to maintain an orderly traffic environment for the safety of society and the happiness of their families, they should:
    (1) drive responsibly and courteously
    (2) improve their driving skills
    (3) not smoke or drink.

sarukun on
    BahamutZERO
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    clearly all of these answers are (3)

Lucedes wrote: »
    clearly all of these answers are (3)

I'm pretty sure the "Finders Keepers" statues of Taiwan clearly state that if you leave it in my car it's mine now, whether I want your crap or not.

Questions!

If you are driving in a rural area and encounter people herding animals across the road, you are required to:
    (1) honk your horn to make them hurry up
    (2) speed up to cross the road before the animals do
    (3) slow down and wait until the animals have crossed the road.

If you are driving through a muddy area or flooded area and encounter pedestrians, you are required to:
    (1) slow down in order not to splash any water on the pedestrians
    (2) speed up and pass through the water
    (3) honk your horn constantly to warn the pedestrians to keep away from your vehicle.

If an elderly person, child, or disabled passenger gets on the bus, the driver is required to: (Why is this a question on the regular driving exam?!)
    (1) politely refuse to serve them
    (2) wait until all passengers are steadily seated before moving the bus
    (3) charge them double fare.

There are a lot of answers that use the phrasing "honk your horn constantly" and now I'm thinking about writing a T-Pop song called "Honk your Horn Constantly" and just have it be an ode to jerkin' it.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    If passengers leave their valuables in your vehicle, you are required to:
    (1) keep them as your own property
    (2) donate them to charity organizations
    (3) take them to the nearest police station so the owner can be notified.

Definitely not what the test was intending but I read this as them = passengers at first

sarukunLucedes
    edited September 2022
    Are vehicles carrying dangerous cargo permitted to drive through Bagua Mountain Tunnel or Snow Mountain Tunnel?
    (1) Yes, they are.
    (2) No, they are not.
    (3) There is no rule regulating this.

I cannot help but imagine these locations as Legendary sites of famous battles in a wuxia film. To the best of my knowledge, these are rather long tunnels and should be relatively well known by regular people? But thinking of it as like a place where a famous school of kung fu was founded changes the whole tenor of the question. Also, I can't imagine there would be any questions on the California Driver's License test talking about the Golden Gate Bridge or whatever, so it's kind of weird to me that they would do this. Like, is it just these tunnels that don't allow dangerous cargo transported by truck? On the whole island? This question confounds me.

sarukun on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    These all feel like ideals which we should be striving towards as car inhabitants, rather than laws. Or is that the same thing? Is this some Kantian shit?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    sarukunLucedesBahamutZEROcB557
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    As a passenger I am going to stretch my arms and neck out of the car when and wherever I good and goddamn well please, and if you or anyone tries to stop me then we are going to tussle

A duck!
    Eddy wrote: »
    These all feel like ideals which we should be striving towards as car inhabitants, rather than laws. Or is that the same thing? Is this some Kantian shit?

I definitely feel like some of these are philosophical quandaries or passages out of an authoritarian government's little book about how Citizens Should Behave.

If you lose your driver's license, you are required to:
    (1) take the driver's license test again
    (2) apply to the Motor Vehicle Registration Department for a new license
    (3) place an ad in the newspaper to declare that the license has been cancelled.

"Hey asshole who stole my driver's license, joke's on you buddy, hope you get the Times delivered!"

When driving on the road, to throw trash, cigarettes, or flammable items out of the vehicle:
    (1) is extremely immoral and dangerous.
    (2) is not a problem as long as it makes the drivers happy
    (3) is the best way to keep vehicles clean.

Okay, but like... is there a law prohibiting this? Is there a fine associated with it? Bueller?

Driving lanes may be used by:
    (1) pedestrians,
    (2) vehicles,
    (3) pedestrians and vehicles.

Ah yes, those driving pedestrians.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    can you really be said to respect human life if you don't enjoy the scenery all the way to your destination?

Captain Inertiasarukuntynic
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Lucedes wrote: »
    can you really be said to respect human life if you don't enjoy the scenery all the way to your destination?

Also if it’s warm out, extend your appendages out of the vehicle window to touch it

Captain Inertia on
    Lucedes
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dang, the test results say I'm Chris.

Anyway, which Partridge Family member did everyone else get?

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Dang, the test results say I'm Chris.

Anyway, which Partridge Family member did everyone else get?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_partridge

According to this, you are the only Partridge in Taiwan.