As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movies] Thread, not the Moovies thread

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is the movies thread, not the equally viewed cow thread here.

This is where we talk about quality Richard Heffer movies and other films, not the bovine heffer and the long running whole vs. 2% milk debate which makes Marvel vs DC look quaint in comparison, with far, far fewer lives lost in the conflict.

It is hard to distinguish between the two because they overlap many, many times throughout the years, often the same weeks.

asRrQuw.jpg

7Hp2Ojw.jpg

crPPBuD.jpg

RQzUK0J.png

YZmtSYd.png

b3gNQ4i.gif

szbKxtk.jpg

ElJeffe on

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    You're really milking this bit

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I watched Barnyard on a plane, and the flight ended just after Sam Elliot got attacked by coyotes

So to me, it's a short film with a cautionary message about leaving patriarchs on guard duty

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ooh I love moovies

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    You need to broaden your cow flick horizons. Have some Irish bovine fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EZtStZZKEs

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Udderly ridiculous!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    This whole thread is cheesy.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Saw Hellraiser 2022 last night and and its just ok. Not great but also not bad. The Cenobite designs/costumes were really cool.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Smile (2022) is bad.

It made me feel like shit, it left me upset in a bad way and it doesn't explore its themes very much or very well.

unrecommend.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Smile (2022) is bad.

It made me feel like shit, it left me upset in a bad way and it doesn't explore its themes very much or very well.

unrecommend.

I am at the theater 2/3 of the way through.

This movie is a thematic catastrophe. It is delightfully irresponsibly earnest. It is so bad.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Smile (2022) is bad.

unrecommend.

This movie is a thematic catastrophe. It is delightfully irresponsibly earnest. It is so bad.

i'm still deeply upset by it. I'm not one to say movies are shit or whatever, they might have their audience.... but this movie is just upsetting and bad to think about.
    It's treatment of mental illness is just the worst. Can't fucking say that more.

Of note; before Smile they showed a trailer for another obnoxiously awful and probably overall harmful exorcist movie.

edit:

gonna go in more detail.
    The way they do the cat murder, the way she treats her patient Carl not as a person but as a fucking object, the way the movie makes a monster out of trauma and then just goes "idk i guess it'll always just kill people lol not like we care".... It's just extremely callous.

I liked exactly ONE THING and that's when the masivve smiling entity opens its face and crawls inside the protagonist's mouth.

Normally i'd raise an issue about using your phone while in the theater but this is a movie i should've walked out of within the first 10 minutes, as my gut told me to.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Smile (2022) is bad.

unrecommend.

i'm still deeply upset by it. I'm not one to say movies are shit or whatever, they might have their audience.... but this movie is just upsetting and bad to think about.
    It's treatment of mental illness is just the worst. Can't fucking say that more.

Of note; before Smile they showed a trailer for another obnoxiously awful and probably overall harmful exorcist movie.

edit:

gonna go in more detail.
    The way they do the cat murder, the way she treats her patient Carl not as a person but as a fucking object, the way the movie makes a monster out of trauma and then just goes "idk i guess it'll always just kill people lol not like we care".... It's just extremely callous.

I liked exactly ONE THING and that's when the masivve smiling entity opens its face and crawls inside the protagonist's mouth.

Normally i'd raise an issue about using your phone while in the theater but this is a movie i should've walked out of within the first 10 minutes, as my gut told me to.

Oh no, I was getting another drinj when I posted that. There had recently been a Smile, so I knew nothing would happen for another half hour.

There are parts of this that technically worked, including that visual you describe, but the basic messaging of the movie is fucking insanely dated, and absolutely meant to be an insightful look at mental illness.

It’s a genuine train wreck.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I AM HAVING A HARD TIME WITH X BUT IT'S REALLY GOOD.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Guess who has a Shudder sub! Anyone want to offer some recommendations?

I like stuff like:
    Gremlins 1 and 2
    From Beyond
    Society
    Coronenberg’s The Fly
    Cronenberg in general
    Cabin in the Woods
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    Void
    Poltergeist
    Nope
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    Slither
    The Blob ‘88

Body horror, slime, squick, gore, aliens, ghost, bizarre monsters in general, those are my bag. I like comedy horror, as you can see. Don’t like slasher movies, at least those with mortals as the killer. A dude with a knife, yawn. A monster with a knife, yay!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    top-secret-big-phone.gif

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Smile (2022) is bad.

unrecommend.

edit:

gonna go in more detail.

Oh no, I was getting another drinj when I posted that. There had recently been a Smile, so I knew nothing would happen for another half hour.

There are parts of this that technically worked, including that visual you describe, but the basic messaging of the movie is fucking insanely dated, and absolutely meant to be an insightful look at mental illness.

It’s a genuine train wreck.

and now i realize that the one thing that worked in Smile was shamelessly stolen from IT.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Doodmann wrote: »

I was made to understand that X would indeed give it to ya.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I do genuinely feel like Smile's biggest problem is the idea that "smiling person = danger/creepy" was a 90's/2000's aesthetic that just feels juvenile to me now (and, arguably, even then, but it the idea of "frowning = crazy person" was more the norm before). It's been done/redone by Hot Topic culture for decades and it would've taken a cinematic miracle to turn into a watchable film.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

X was definitely a thing, but it was a thing I like overall.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    In other news, I watched Antlers tonight.

It was a good monster placed in an otherwise meh film. Some good gnarly body horror scenes, but it was just over an hour and a half and it felt like two. Shame, because the cast was stacked.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

I like stuff like:
    Gremlins 1 and 2
    From Beyond
    Society
    Coronenberg’s The Fly
    Cronenberg in general
    Cabin in the Woods
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    Void
    Poltergeist
    Nope
    Slither
    The Blob ‘88

Body horror, slime, squick, gore, aliens, ghost, bizarre monsters in general, those are my bag. I like comedy horror, as you can see. Don’t like slasher movies, at least those with mortals as the killer. A dude with a knife, yawn. A monster with a knife, yay!

I haven't watched it yet myself, but based on everything I've seen/heard out of festivals you should give Deadstream a try. It just debuted a couple of days ago and a lot of folks I trust have loved it. It's sitting at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. The only reason I haven't watched it yet myself is that I do Shudder through Prime Video so that I can watch it on my tv and not just my computer, and it didn't show up on Shudder through Amazon until tonight and it's too late for me to start a movie now. Really looking forward to checking it out in the next day or two.

As far as stuff I have enjoyed on Shudder that fits the bill and is only in order of me scrolling through listings on Shudder: House and House II are pretty good. Night of the Demons. Slaxx. The Stuff. Phenomena. The Gate. Host. Mosquito. The Deadly Spawn. Maniac Cop 2 and 3. Haunt. Psycho Goreman. Spookies. VHS 94. Uncle Sam. Tammy and the T-Rex.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I like stuff like:
    Gremlins 1 and 2
    From Beyond
    Society
    Coronenberg’s The Fly
    Cronenberg in general
    Cabin in the Woods
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    Void
    Poltergeist
    Nope
    Slither
    The Blob ‘88

Blood Machines and The Colour From Out Of Space.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I like stuff like:
    Gremlins 1 and 2
    From Beyond
    Society
    Coronenberg’s The Fly
    Cronenberg in general
    Cabin in the Woods
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    Void
    Poltergeist
    Nope
    Slither
    The Blob ‘88

They have the entire Subspecies series if you're into jacked up vampires with lots of practical effects.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I do genuinely feel like Smile's biggest problem is the idea that "smiling person = danger/creepy" was a 90's/2000's aesthetic that just feels juvenile to me now (and, arguably, even then, but it the idea of "frowning = crazy person" was more the norm before). It's been done/redone by Hot Topic culture for decades and it would've taken a cinematic miracle to turn into a watchable film.

Honestly the smiling thing comes up remarkably rarely in the movie.

I'd say it's worst sin is using a mental health professional as a protagonist in a movie demonizing mental illness by giving her fake mental illness caused by a spooky ghost.

I'm done talking about Smile, i want to move on. Deeply unpleasant movie i should have walked the fuck out when my gut told me to.

EDIT: I never walked out of a movie but i might have to start now.

This morning i realized it should swap titles with Malignant.

Malignant made me smile the whole runtime, Smile is a malignant cancer of a movie.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I like stuff like:
    Gremlins 1 and 2
    From Beyond
    Society
    Coronenberg’s The Fly
    Cronenberg in general
    Cabin in the Woods
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    Void
    Poltergeist
    Nope
    Slither
    The Blob ‘88

While it isn't really like the kind of movies you listed, if you have a Shudder subscription you really ought to watch 'One Cut Of The Dead', a Japanese one-shot zombie movie. And I'm just going to say this much about it: stick with it. Trust me. And don't forget to let us know what you thought afterwards.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I liked Nicholas Ray's In a Lonely Place a lot. Some might call it noir, but it really goes beyond a single descriptor. There are also elements of the Hollywood satire, and there is a touch of Billy Wilder's cynicism in some of the exchanges, but it's really the blend of these different genres and tones that makes the film, together with Bogart's protagonist, who comes close to being the villain of the piece. One thing that kept me from enjoying it more than it did, though, is that it's starting point as a whodunnit makes it easy to go down the garden path and suspect a couple of characters,* where in the end that's not what the film is about - but the film itself doesn't really disabuse you of that notion either, so the crime plot can get in the film's way to an extent. Still: I definitely feel I should seek out more films by Ray.

*I was quite certain that it was the
    sinister masseuse Martha, and I'd even come up with an explanation of why it was her and what her motive was.

IALP_Bogart_Grahame_.jpg?1498489454

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    if you have a Shudder subscription you really ought to watch 'One Cut Of The Dead', a Japanese one-shot zombie movie. And I'm just going to say this much about it: stick with it. Trust me.

Seconded.

First tie I watched that film, I turned it off after about 20 mins; I then saw a similar "stick with it, trust me" opinions and went back to watch a second time. I'm glad I did!

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will watch one Cut of the Dead. I enjoy a good zombie flick. Already watched Color from out of Space, liked it. Will check out the other suggestions

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    if we're recommending fun horror movies, I can't recommend Night of the Creeps enough.
    https://youtu.be/kvEiUBS-_rc

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

I like stuff like:
    Gremlins 1 and 2
    From Beyond
    Society
    Coronenberg’s The Fly
    Cronenberg in general
    Cabin in the Woods
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    Void
    Poltergeist
    Nope
    Slither
    The Blob ‘88

You'd probably enjoy Frank Henenlotter's movies: Basket Case, Brain Damage, and Frankenhooker. Completely tasteless, gonzo 80s body horror/comedy. They're all on Shudder.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Anyone watched Athena on Netflix? Rather excellent even if it chickened out on a few moments.

Some incredible long takes during chaotic riot scenes.

Surprised it's not getting more chatter.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will watch one Cut of the Dead. I enjoy a good zombie flick. Already watched Color from out of Space, liked it. Will check out the other suggestions

It's really a movie about the horrors
    of live production.

I got good and bad flashbacks, film was great!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So it turns out this week I'm watching a spectrum of movies, some might call it a perfect uncanny valley graph of genre transition.

Starting with X, which is a distillation of the "aren't these slasher movies barely not porn" and then cranks that whole idea to 11 and is pretty amazing

From there I dive into the valley, Jason X is a terrible looking terribly acted movie, but it's also at least slightly self aware and pretty funny.

We end with Aliens which has the same themes as Jason X just done correctly since James Cameron is a competent filmmaker.

I like to ART
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    From there I dive into the valley, Jason X is a terrible looking terribly acted movie, but it's also at least slightly self aware and pretty funny.

Jason X gets a minor recommendation/thumbs up from me due to the liquid nitrogen and holodeck kills.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Jason X gets a minor recommendation/thumbs up from me due to the liquid nitrogen and holodeck kills.

Nah, the best is the guy who gets impaled on the enormous drill bit and somebody follows it up with "he's screwed".

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Jason X is the lowest kind of early 2000s trash, but it has one scene that's so genuinely hilarious, and the whole concept is so joyously stupid, that I can't help but appreciate it a little.

• Options
    Jason X is the lowest kind of early 2000s trash, but it has one scene that's so genuinely hilarious, and the whole concept is so joyously stupid, that I can't help but appreciate it a little.

Is it the sleeping bags thing?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Watched the Morbius movie last night.

Not awful but several bad decisions created scenes that didnt work. The opening scenes were trite and unimaginative. The middle was serviceable. The ending fight was a mess as were the ending hooks and stingers.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

Is it the sleeping bags thing?

Yeah, the holodeck scene with the sleeping bags is basically perfect, and nearly lifts the entire movie. Shame it's like 10 seconds of a 90 minute runtime.

This discussion has been closed.