As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Doing Jerk Stuff

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Doing Jerk Stuff!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Doing Jerk Stuff

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It is a rad sweater tho

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    It's kind of Ultrabasic with those uggs though. Bet that starbucks drink he has is pumpkin spice.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    It's an Ultramarine sweater, he deserves to be cyberbullied IRL.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    There has been a trend lately of giving words to things that used to be considered the default (like calling normal medicine “allopathy” to distinguish it from alternative medicine), so it might be in the future that real life bullying gets called “orgabullying” or something

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    I've been "cyberbullied in real life" ever since I was 10. Kids can be nothing short of heartlessly xenophobic.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I've been "cyberbullied in real life" ever since I was 10. Kids can be nothing short of heartlessly xenophobic.

Stop being a filthy xeno!

(That's a WH40k thing, right? I don't know Warhammer stuff)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Xenophobia is the fear of things that are different. It's kind of crazy how movies and cartoons depict people who dress in punk clothing as thuggish bullies when in actuality, those kids are more likely to get bullied in real life by people who dress normally. Because most bullying doesn't stem from rebelling against the system, but rather the direct opposite; justifying paranoid bigotry against everyone who isn't exactly just like them.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The irony and wordplay in this comic is fantastic. A++.

Well done, lads.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Gabe should just have told those teenagers that he owns something they never will: a house.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    Gabe should just have told those teenagers that he owns something they never will: a house.

EMOTIONAL DAMAGE

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    I thought it was a RAD sweater because its a FALLOUT sweater... :S

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    It's kind of Ultrabasic with those uggs though. Bet that starbucks drink he has is pumpkin spice.

He should add a nice autumn scarf to complete the outfit.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    There has been a trend lately of giving words to things that used to be considered the default (like calling normal medicine “allopathy” to distinguish it from alternative medicine), so it might be in the future that real life bullying gets called “orgabullying” or something
    I believe you are talking about retronyms.
    From Wikipedia:
    A retronym is a newer name for an existing thing that helps differentiate the original form/version from a more recent one. It is thus a word or phrase created to avoid confusion between older and newer types, whereas previously (before there were more than one type) no clarification was required.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I believe you are talking about retronyms.
    From Wikipedia:
    A retronym is a newer name for an existing thing that helps differentiate the original form/version from a more recent one. It is thus a word or phrase created to avoid confusion between older and newer types, whereas previously (before there were more than one type) no clarification was required.

This is awesome and I have learned something new today, so thank you for that. Retronym. Tucking that one away for future use.

That being said, I don't think a Retronym is required in the case of today's topic. Just removing the word "cyber" from the front of it should be indication enough that it is normal OG-bullying. No further clarification is needed. Which is the point of Tycho's unhappy/murderous look in the third panel.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    My favorite -nym is the auto-antonym.

And by favorite, I mean I hate it.

• Options
    I think the one I use the most is backronym. Which is an acronym is created by picking the word first and then selecting words for each letter. The US government looooves itself a backronym. Bet you didn't know the USA PATRIOT act officially stands for: Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Loving the Coffee Fucker cup

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    Mercade wrote: »
    Loving the Coffee Fucker cup

Not the first time we've seen one of those either (the dread continuity):
    ztr5vw9y62xx.png

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Other examples I was thinking of were cisgender (not transgender) or carnist (not vegetarian) but didn’t see them in the retronyms page

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    palidine40 wrote: »
    I thought it was a RAD sweater because its a FALLOUT sweater... :S

Pretty sure that's a space marine from WH40K but I could be mistaken!

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I'm still grumpy about Robin in Young Justice, who argued that if there's "overwhelmed" and "underwhelmed", there should be"whelmed". Which he then proceeded to use in the place of overwhelmed despite the fact that "whelmed" should mean having no strong feelings one way or the other.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm still grumpy about Robin in Young Justice, who argued that if there's "overwhelmed" and "underwhelmed", there should be"whelmed". Which he then proceeded to use in the place of overwhelmed despite the fact that "whelmed" should mean having no strong feelings one way or the other.

I love Young Justice.

Except for that shit.

I hate that shit.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I think the one I use the most is backronym. Which is an acronym is created by picking the word first and then selecting words for each letter. The US government looooves itself a backronym. Bet you didn't know the USA PATRIOT act officially stands for: Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism.

That example goes a long way in explaining this:
    gyvaiadmjgzc.png

ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options

gyvaiadmjgzc.png

Does it? Feels like a stretch. Stupid backronyms are pretty far down the list for me on any of those categories.

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

gyvaiadmjgzc.png

Does it? Feels like a stretch. Stupid backronyms are pretty far down the list for me on any of those categories.

Obsession with packaging monolithic bills, containing who knows what kind of awfulness, under oversimplified, feel-good names?

I think the backronym is less tangential to that point, when it doubles-down on it the way "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" does.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    dennis wrote: »

gyvaiadmjgzc.png

Obsession with packaging monolithic bills, containing who knows what kind of awfulness, under oversimplified, feel-good names?

I think the backronym is less tangential to that point, when it doubles-down on it the way "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" does.

I can totally see how that would make people trust banks less.

Between 2020 and 2021.

dennis on