Options

SUCCESS!!! Finding 2021 era mass-market teddy bear

SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front doorRegistered User regular
edited November 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
Would anyone happen to have any suggestions or experience trying to find a copy of a stuffed animal?

[img][/img]JmtCapEl.jpg

In May 2021 I bought this little stuffed black bear for about $12 with a brown plaid bow tie from a gas station / convenience store in the middle of nowhere about an hour between Knoxville, TN and Murphy, NC. GPS was very spotty and it like 4am and raining sideways, I've no clue where we were. No EXIF / gps data but I actually have a picture of a few people I was on the trip with sitting on a bench out front of the place.

I brought it back and my kid was very smitten with it, and at some point in the past two-ish months bear went missing. We've looked and I imagine he's gone.

I didn't have the foresight to take a picture of the tag, but I've looked at GUND and Aurora and a few other brands and he's not showing up on their websites. Any ideas for trying to hunt a copy down? I'm still trying to find the gas station and can't, so far; I know it was p decent sized and had some hot food (i.e. biscuits) and wasn't a chain brand.

Are there other popular brands for like mass-market teddy bears?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
SummaryJudgment on

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    If you bought it with a card and you can infer the day from your pics, you can get the receipt from your bank and track down the location.

spool32 on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    spool32 wrote: »
    If you bought it with a card and you can infer the day from your pics, you can get the receipt from your bank and track down the location.

Thanks, Spool. I found the store (Kickstart Convenience of Turtletown, TN) and they've switched suppliers at some point in the meantime. They gave me the name of the current supplier and they've never made a bear like that. So now I'm googling wholesale stuffed animal companies...

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Reverse google image search comes up with a number of bears that are very similar to that one, but it's hard to find one that's an exact match -- most often the eyes are solid black rather than black-with-brown-iris like yours, or the ears aren't solid black. (and the bowtie doesn't match anywhere but it feels like it'd be easier to get matching ribbon and just attach that)

This is pretty close, but the nose doesn't quite match. (and it's hard to tell what the paws are like on yours)

This has the right coloured nose but different ears.

This one is the closest, though the ribbon's wrong, and the shape of the pale patch on the snout is slightly different.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Reverse google image search comes up with a number of bears that are very similar to that one, but it's hard to find one that's an exact match -- most often the eyes are solid black rather than black-with-brown-iris like yours, or the ears aren't solid black. (and the bowtie doesn't match anywhere but it feels like it'd be easier to get matching ribbon and just attach that)

This is pretty close, but the nose doesn't quite match. (and it's hard to tell what the paws are like on yours)

This has the right coloured nose but different ears.

This one is the closest, though the ribbon's wrong, and the shape of the pale patch on the snout is slightly different.

Yeah, I tried running one too and didn't see a perfect fit

But sometimes you can find those individual bears on ebay if you have the name and supplier (at least, this is how we've replaced my dog's favourite toy before despite it being well out of the Christmas season)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    spool32 wrote: »

Thanks, Spool. I found the store (Kickstart Convenience of Turtletown, TN) and they've switched suppliers at some point in the meantime. They gave me the name of the current supplier and they've never made a bear like that. So now I'm googling wholesale stuffed animal companies...

Could they tell you what supplier they had at the time of your purchase?

I love tracking stuff down like this and if you can get Kickstart Convenience to tell you their supplier I would very much enjoy the search.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Looking on the facebook page for Kickstart Convenience, they have various photos of themselves. This photo looks very much like it contains your bear:

cn681td3r0cp.png

Zooming in a bit:

xd76x22mafg9.png

so at least one of the toys was 'creature comforts' brand, though there's other labels there that look different -- possibly another path to look down, at any rate.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    There's the same bear pointing the other way with a label - the purple "souveir" one

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, good spotting -- I suspect it's "souvenir", which is not helping Google narrow things down a lot, unfortunately, but it's definitely another data point.

• Options
    Zoom and enhance

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    66ybf09zzry5.png

This is the closest thing I saw on the company wholesaler website. its the exact same scarf, but not the same bear shape.

https://www.parkdalenovelty.com/collections/bears/products/big-eye-black-bear-8-30609

I looked through the whole listing of bears and didn't see that exact one. it might not be in manufacture anymore.

They have a phone number, you could always call them. Or email. Maybe they have one laying around and someone would be nice enough to ship it to you.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Okay, going through the Creature Comforts catalogue I am convinced you have a "Moonstone Bear" based on the the line in the center of the muzzle, the plaid bow, and the size of the nose.

There are similar bears, the "Jackson Bear" and "Johnathan Bear", but the Jackson doesn't have a bow and the Johnathan has too small of a nose.

https://www.parkdalenovelty.com/products/moonstone-bear-9

ps241iur91yj.jpg

Obviously the color is wrong, but the construction looks the closest l?

• Options
    Looking again at the photo from the shop, the style of label on the bear facing away from us is the same as the grey wolf/owl in a hat a little bit further back. That label has your bear as an astronaut or something.
    There's another one of those hatted owl/wolf things much closer to the camera with the back of the label visible.

Between the two I think the brand you're after starts with 'D'. You might even be able to scan that barcode to get the company/product line.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    :-D You guys!

@JebusUD You were right - 30609 "Big Eye Black Bear" from a 2019-2020 catalog. It's Creature Comforts in the USA and Parkdale Novelty Co. Ltd. in Canada.

He's different looking in the catalog, he doesn't have that greyish fur, but has the identical scarf. http://nebula.wsimg.com/4e5b312beb5e1796490c632cbebd8919?AccessKeyId=39E0FA7D50800D599505&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

It looks like he's not in production right now and they changed the body a bit. (Maybe? https://www.parkdalenovelty.com/products/big-eye-black-bear-8-30609?_pos=1&_sid=788568ad3&_ss=r) I'll call tomorrow and see if I can run him down.

He's in this 2019/2020 catalog with a slightly different scarf (which would be fine): https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0950/8602/files/Parkdale_souvenir_NP.pdf?v=1666728796

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    @MegaMan001 too :-)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    This saga is exactly why I read the H&A forum.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Ah the Duffy collection, it all makes sense now.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    This thread is gold and that bear is super cute.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    did you call them?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    did you call them?

I did! I spoke to a nice rep who said she'd check if I emailed her.

Thank you so much for talking to me on the phone a few minutes ago. My name is [ed]. I bought a #30609 Big Eye Black Bear from a convenience store in Tennessee (Kickstart Convenience, Turtletown, TN) last summer while on a trip. My daughter Maddie is four years old and has been inseparable with the bear since she was 2 and 1/2. She lost it recently and I'm trying to find a replacement. I'd be grateful for any help you can offer, and I'd happily pay for the bear and with any issues around shipping a single item.

This was Maddie's bear:

image001.jpg

I searched online and found a few Parkdale Novelty / Creature Comforts catalogs that show her version of the Big Eye Black Bear (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0950/8602/files/Creature_Comforts_Toys_Souvenir_2018-2019NP.pdf?v=1666728521):

image002.png

Parkdale Novelty's website lists 30609 in production currently but he looks a little different, but has a matching ribbon. If that's just the lighting and he's the same as her bear I'd be thrilled!

- https://www.parkdalenovelty.com/collections/bears/products/big-eye-black-bear-8-30609
    image003.jpg

She replied with a picture of the old-style 30609 from the catalog (i.e. the one we're looking for) and said they had 30609 in stock, but "the other not available" - not sure if she's referring to the new style or the old one referenced in her picture. Their website says they don't do wholesale orders, so I'm going to call tomorrow to ask about making arrangements. I'm worried it's the newer grey version though.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    When my younger daughter was big enough to be ambulatory but small enough to need a security object, she loved Paw Patrol and had a set of stuffies she got for Christmas that she adored and took everywhere she could. On her next birthday, he older sister got her a undescript dog stuffy at the $1 area at Target that was the same size as those, and so he got to join the Paw Patrol and was the favorite. As soon as this happened I felt deep terror that we needed to ensure that nothing happened to this guy because while finding a new Marshall might be difficult, it would be possible, but a new value bin stuffy of that exact type? He has survived in her possession to this day but the whole thread is testament to the trials we would've had otherwise.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Ed: Not chat!

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    drNxRh3h.jpg

@JebusUD @Jazz @Hahnsoo1 @spool32 @djmitchella @Cello @MegaMan001 @Tastyfish

He's home. ❤️

Thank you all so much. I'm on a shuttle to the airport right now for a work trip for a couple nights and I just got the email from UPS, which led to a text to my wife while I held my breath

I could play it as Santa bringing him back in a present, but I'm leaning towards having him ring the doorbell once I'm home, maybe with a little suitcase with his things because he's been off having adventures, but he wanted to be home for Christmas :wink:

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    That would be amazing. Put us up a pic of how you set him up if so.

Absolutely made up for you, it's made my day to see this! Thanks so much for the tag :heart:

(Might wanna stick a GPS tag on him!)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Hey awesome! Thanks for the update!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Summs did you come up with some elaborate story as to how the bear not only got back, but put on some healthy weight in the process through the good natured generosity of strangers?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Summs did you come up with some elaborate story as to how the bear not only got back, but put on some healthy weight in the process through the good natured generosity of strangers?

I've got a couple days to workshop it

Winter coming up, hibernating bears packing it on to stay snuggled up, etc. etc. etc.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Are you 100% sure it's gone?

Maybe the new one should be the old one's brother/sister/friend.

If it is gone, the suitcase idea is great!

• Options
    edited November 2022
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure it's gone?

Maybe the new one should be the old one's brother/sister/friend.

If it is gone, the suitcase idea is great!

We had the daycare putting up "Missing Friend!" posters. Hopefully he's out there making some other kiddo happy -- or riding in another biker's saddlebags as a good luck token -- because he's gone.

SummaryJudgment on