Options

Fell for 2FA scam, now what?

Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
So someone I know sent their 2FA code to a scammer. I didn’t even know it was possible for someone else to request a google code be sent to your phone, but that’s on me I guess.

Anyways we rest their password, signed out any devices connected to google, And cleared all email filters. My concern is I don’t know how to reset the 2FA. If I turn it off and then on again will it use a new key/token/whatever? Should I just turn it off completely for now? Everything I search for just leads me to generic hacked account suggestions, which says turn on 2FA.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Turning it off and on again (lol IT support etc) should result in a completely new key under the hood, yes.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I didn’t even know it was possible for someone else to request a google code be sent to your phone, but that’s on me I guess.
    If you know the email/account name, generally with 2fa stuff when you poke "forgot password" that'll shoot a code out to the phone number tied to the account to verify you are you before letting you do a password reset.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt