As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Watching Elon try and run a company in a semi unregulated space really makes you appreciate labor laws and auto regulations more.

Could you imagine the horrors he would insist on selling if shit like seatbelts weren't mandatory?

TheySlashThemBahamutZEROJragghenmrpakuvalhalla130Kristmas KthulhuMatevMr FuzzbuttCantideBlackDragon480OrcaGnizmoRingoshoeboxjeddyMulysaSemproniusDyvim TvarOlivawBucketmanElaroElldrenTofystedeth
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    This isn't a novel take or anything, but I like seeing so many users rooting for the demise of their own platform.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    AlexandierMillasofyeunShadowfiretynicJragghenmatthias00Crippl3minor incidentSleepmrpakuZonugalproxy_hueFlying CouchGilgaronKristmas Kthulhudurandal4532CelloMatevBlackDragon480OrcaGnizmoNeveronsarukunshoeboxjeddyNarbusDyvim TvarOlivawTankHammerBucketmanLabelElldren
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    I wonder what will come first.

Will this get turned into an Office style satire TV show?

A movie on Hulu like The Dropout?

Maybe a musical written by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce

i truly don't believe this site is about to die. it'll start to break in many ways, like the 2fa shit the other day, but it won't disappear for good. i think it's much more likely that perhaps the site where "ww3" trends every time a missile gets launched rewards catastrophizing

like no i do not believe the man's gonna look at 75% of the remaining workforce wanting to quit on the website he just put himself in $44 billion of debt to buy and go "well gee i guess that's it then, no more website"

i expect twitter to lose a chunk of its casual userbase and plummet in value and get sold off to some third-tier tech company, like how tumblr went from a $1.1 Billion yahoo buyout to a sub-$3 Million wordpress parent company buyout (while still remaining a functional website)

SorceGvzbgulToxStyrofoam SammichCaptain InertiaArdolJragghenCrippl3SleepZonugalMagellMaddocKristmas KthulhuBloodsheednever dieAzraithBlackDragon480NeveronVegemyteLucedesFencingsaxshoeboxjeddyThegreatcowOlivawTankHammerKanaBucketmanElldren
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I wonder what will come first.

Will this get turned into an Office style satire TV show?

A movie on Hulu like The Dropout?

Maybe a musical written by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

SassoriMunkus Beavernever dieBlackDragon480NeveronFencingsaxDyvim TvarOlivawTankHammerBucketmanLabelElldrenTofystedeth
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    So what's next for the butthole of Sauron to focus on?

sig.gif
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    When people say Twitter is "done" or will be "gone" I don't think anybody's referring to it completely disappeared. It's weird to me that people are pointing you yahoo or myspace "look these are still around!" Because are they? Like yes on a purely technical level a website with that name still exists. At this moment Twitter is regularly at the center of news and communication. If in a year it's reach is comparable to MySpace now that is decimating.

Quire.jpg
    SleepFlying CouchKristmas Kthulhudurandal4532NeveronadytumFencingsaxshoeboxjeddyTankHammer
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Tony Stark was able to build a self-sustaining portable power source IN A CAVE. WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

Fake Tony Stark was able to turn a multi-billion dollar tech company and worldwide communications network INTO A BOX OF SCRAPS!

TicaldfjamBlackDragon480OrcaMulysaSemproniusDyvim TvarBucketmanElaroElldren
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Sorce wrote: »
    So what's next for the butthole of Sauron to focus on?

My guess?

Politics!

womp womp

Kane Red Robe
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    While we're on the subject of internet death, when do you think the Penny Arcade forums will kark it? When Gabe and Tycho retire and their Trevor Noahesque successor doesn't bring in the views? Does Vanilla crash and it's decided that the forum isn't worth getting up running again?
    I can see larger social media sites living forever or at least beyond my lifetime, but PA is tied to a specific thing that isn't going to last forever.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Elon made the "let that sink in" joke two weeks ago, in case you may have felt time was going by only slightly fast

edit: Sidenote that this year has felt more quickly chaotic and surreal than any year from 2015-21 felt, for me, personally. No time to focus on one thing before the next thing came up

MulysaSempronius
    When people say Twitter is "done" or will be "gone" I don't think anybody's referring to it completely disappeared. It's weird to me that people are pointing you yahoo or myspace "look these are still around!" Because are they? Like yes on a purely technical level a website with that name still exists. At this moment Twitter is regularly at the center of news and communication. If in a year it's reach is comparable to MySpace now that is decimating.

ah but the question is, does that matter to the people who use it

the penny-arcade forums that you and i post on are a fraction of their grandest size. but do you care? or do you think that in many ways losing some of its size has improved your experience with it

MagellOrcaLucedesFencingsax
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    "doctor I've been depressed recently. there's trouble at work and things are crumbling around me."

"oh you should get on Twitter. that shit is going Chernobyl and you can make fun of elon musk."

"but doctor...."

can't take credit for this, but it was described to me by my brother.

Captain InertiaSassoriDarkPrimusvalhalla130Flying CouchDoctor DetroitMatevThe Zombie PenguinNeveronVegemyteRingoShadowfireRhesus PositiveFencingsaxNarbusWhelkOlivawBucketmanLabelElaroElldrenTofystedeth
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Posted this last thread but it's even more relevant today

881cxadxu4a1.jpg

Centipede DamascusDoctor Detroitsilence1186FencingsaxMulysaSemproniusBucketmanTofystedeth
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of internet death, when do you think the Penny Arcade forums will kark it? When Gabe and Tycho retire and their Trevor Noahesque successor doesn't bring in the views? Does Vanilla crash and it's decided that the forum isn't worth getting up running again?
    I can see larger social media sites living forever or at least beyond my lifetime, but PA is tied to a specific thing that isn't going to last forever.

Usually Xmas Eve innit

matthias00valhalla130
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Twitter

Jaboukie was too good for Twitter

(CW: N-word used in the video)

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    KalTorakGarlic BreadLadaiPeenDyvim Tvar
    A head of lettuce

Whoever buys Twitter from Elon at a very reduced price is gonna launch the mother of all "back and better than ever!" marketing campaigns.

It's gonna be like the Coke Classic commercials that aired after the New Coke bombed.

https://youtu.be/Fc2ulq9Dy14

BlackDragon480Bucketman
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The FBI MLK tweet was too good for this world

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    SorceArdolph blakeBurtletoyHacksawCaptain InertiaZonugalUndead ScottsmanMagellJragghenKristmas KthulhuNiryaMatevnever dieGarlic BreadBlackDragon480VegemyteShadowfireshoeboxjeddyNarbusLadaiPeenElkiMulysaSemproniusDyvim TvarOlivawTankHammer
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Elon made the "let that sink in" joke two weeks ago, in case you may have felt time was going by only slightly fast

edit: Sidenote that this year has felt more quickly chaotic and surreal than any year from 2015-21 felt, for me, personally. No time to focus on one thing before the next thing came up

I mean, you're not wrong. Just under a year before the sink tweet:

Just from a Musk-centric perspective it's been a wild, stupid ride.

GDdCWMm.jpg

the penny-arcade forums that you and i post on are a fraction of their grandest size. but do you care? or do you think that in many ways losing some of its size has improved your experience with it

I don't think anybody is thinking about it from that perspective though. If you're on Twitter right now and Twitter becomes the next MySpace then statistically you won't be on Twitter in the future. The question is, I think, will Twitter continue to be a cultural center capable of continuing to serve it's current use.

Quire.jpg
    adytum
    i will be on twitter for as long as my friends are on twitter

TheySlashThemDJ EebsCrippl3Kevin CristMagellKetarMaddocArdolKristmas KthulhuKetBraAzraithGarlic BreadBreakfastPMMulysaSemproniusSpeed Racer
    A head of lettuce

I don't think anybody is thinking about it from that perspective though. If you're on Twitter right now and Twitter becomes the next MySpace then statistically you won't be on Twitter in the future. The question is, I think, will Twitter continue to be a cultural center capable of continuing to serve it's current use.

inertia is a powerful thing

the only thing that's gonna truly kill twitter is if one its would-be replacements gains enough of a foothold, and who knows about them at this point

Kana
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Title the death of Twitter TV series as something like "The Fail Whale". Spin it as a modern retelling of Moby Dick, with more shitposting.

Boom, print money.

GimSassorimatthias00TicaldfjamMatevElldren
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The lettuce wins!

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    There’s a small outside chance that the PA forums will actually outlive Twitter.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    SleepCommander ZoomCentipede DamascusBurtletoyUndead ScottsmanKristmas KthulhuHacksawTNTrooperOrcaGnizmoLucedesFencingsaxMunkus BeaverMulysaSemproniusOlivawTofystedethKane Red Robe
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I can't believe Elon's "Either get a payout and leave or opt in to working hardcore and getting kicked in the genitals ad infinitum for no reward" gambit doesn't seem to be working

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    minor incidentasofyeunCaptain InertiaCouscousSassoriToxInquisitormrpakuReynoldsSleepTynnanCommander Zoommatthias00Burtletoyvalhalla130GimZonugalPaperLuigi44PeewiGilgaronFlying CouchSorceJragghenArdolKristmas Kthulhudurandal4532HacksawCelloCormacDoctor DetroitNiryaMatevnever dieMr FuzzbuttTNTrooperCantideOrcaBlackDragon480Brovid HasselsmofLucedesRingoShadowfiresarukunFencingsaxshoeboxjeddyNarbusMunkus BeaverpookaPeenMulysaSemproniusDyvim TvarOlivawAntoshkaTankHammerLabelElldren
    edited November 2022
    Is anybody in a position to comment about this whole lockdown situation? Is it normal to completely shut it a large portion of your workforce out of the company anytime there's a chance they might be fired? From the outside looking in it seems extremely paranoid.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Temporarily disabling someone’s access is very normal.

Maybe even a group of people that were flagged for some sort of misconduct but there hasn’t been a formal review yet.

But I have never heard an entire building just locking everyone out unless they’re trying to sell all the computers and equipment off before the doors open again.

Toxminor incidentMortal SkyGilgaronKristmas KthulhuCellonever dieOrcaRingoFencingsaxThegreatcow
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Is anybody in a position to comment about this whole lockdown situation? Is it normal to completely shut it a large portion of your workforce out of the company anytime there's a chance they might be fired? From the outside looking in it seems extremely paranoid.

It is not uncommon for companies to have policies where you put in your notice and basically coast for a week or two, if anything. When my wife worked at Michaels it was standard for managers to be asked to turn in their keys upon notice

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I'm sure the logistics of this are very challenging, they have to terminate hundreds of employees effective immediately and they don't have any employees left to actually do it. They probably don't even know who all actually quit yet.

Zek on
    Kristmas KthulhuKane Red Robe
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Hard to say, there’s not much precedent for what’s happening

I don’t think there’s any reason for the lockdown but maybe Musk is really worried about the servers being unplugged??

This discussion has been closed.