As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Is anybody in a position to comment about this whole lockdown situation? Is it normal to completely shut it a large portion of your workforce out of the company anytime there's a chance they might be fired? From the outside looking in it seems extremely paranoid.

Generally speaking it’s best practices to have your SOP to be locking someone out of sensitive systems prior to you telling them you are firing them.

Normally you just uh…. Are never firing this many people all at once. And usually it’s not some weird “maybe we are going to fire you?” situation.

Normally it’s more like: Decide to fire > Lock Access > Inform they are fired.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

God it would be so amazing if the employees of Twitter did a Defector

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Exactly. Locking the actual entire workforce out says that you’re scared that the vast majority of your employees are no longer loyal.

Whether that’s paranoia or simply being able to see which way the wind is blowing doesn’t really matter, the result is still a huuuuge and unprecedented clusterfuck.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    geez how am I going to find out about LA-region earthquakes now

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Also…are people still getting a paycheck even if they aren’t allowed to show up to work?

I think most contractors (at least government contractors) wouldn’t receive a paycheck like in the case of a government shutdown when they literally can’t enter a building.

But if you haven’t fired me and just locked everyone out I would still expect to be paid for that day.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I love how incompetently this was done.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Elon made the "let that sink in" joke two weeks ago, in case you may have felt time was going by only slightly fast

edit: Sidenote that this year has felt more quickly chaotic and surreal than any year from 2015-21 felt, for me, personally. No time to focus on one thing before the next thing came up

I mean, you're not wrong. Just under a year before the sink tweet:

Just from a Musk-centric perspective it's been a wild, stupid ride.

"$20 can buy many peanuts"
    Explain how!
    "money can be traded for goods and services"

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Welp, just tried to export my twitter data archive and the text verification said I had "exceeded my verification limit" - the first time I've tried it in several days.

Probably nothing to worry about!!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Is anybody in a position to comment about this whole lockdown situation? Is it normal to completely shut it a large portion of your workforce out of the company anytime there's a chance they might be fired? From the outside looking in it seems extremely paranoid.

Hard to say, there’s not much precedent for what’s happening

I don’t think there’s any reason for the lockdown but maybe Musk is really worried about the servers being unplugged??

Huh. How many important computers do you suppose are actually in the HQ? I always had a vague idea that the Twitter servers lived in several big buildings somewhere in Wyoming and all the computers in Twitter HQ were just regular old workstations. Electricity and square footage both seem like they'd be expensive in San Francisco.

Edit: also, the last time I felt like I had a grasp on what the physical Internet was like was when I read a book about it a decade ago, so probably not.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    A head of lettuce

I don’t think there’s any reason for the lockdown but maybe Musk is really worried about the servers being unplugged??

Huh. How many important computers do you suppose are actually in the HQ? I always had a vague idea that the Twitter servers lived in several big buildings somewhere in Wyoming and all the computers in Twitter HQ were just regular old workstations. Electricity and square footage both seem like they'd be expensive in San Francisco.

Edit: also, the last time I felt like I had a grasp on what the physical Internet was like was when I read a book about it a decade ago, so probably not.

I think Twitter is built on AWS but don’t quote me on that.

Edit: https://press.aboutamazon.com/2020/12/twitter-selects-aws-as-strategic-provider-to-serve-timelines

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    can musk even sell twitter at this point? won't it have the $44 billion in debt obligations still and no way to get that in revenue? will the banks be able to get their pound of flesh from him?

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I mean obviously, but it's fun to dream

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is

So I don’t think it’s this, it’s because that there was no “no” response, it’s extra work to determine who is now no longer active and he felt it was better to prevent any access until they sort it out

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of internet death, when do you think the Penny Arcade forums will kark it? When Gabe and Tycho retire and their Trevor Noahesque successor doesn't bring in the views? Does Vanilla crash and it's decided that the forum isn't worth getting up running again?
    I can see larger social media sites living forever or at least beyond my lifetime, but PA is tied to a specific thing that isn't going to last forever.

Hopefully we can swing a patreon to keep the forum operational. (You can already donate to the ClubPA patreon specifically for forum stuff. I put in some money every month, because I spend a shitload of time here.)

• Options
    A head of lettuce
    I also don’t know how twitter’s corporate network is setup and access permissions are setup but…

A lot of times certain resources are only accessible via the corporate network, so, from home you have to VPN in, but on campus you are on the corp network and therefore have access.

So, if they are closing physical access to the building it may be a way to keep people off of the corporate network (assuming they also revoked remote VPN access).

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    I don’t want a Netflix movie about this fiasco.

I want an episode of Leverage about it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

"Space Karen" is pretty good.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    <twitter HQ video>

genuinely thought I was about to watch someone break windows and/or throw something into Twitter HQ for a second

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Here we go let-tuce, here we go *clap*clap*

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    1oau5b1z6cza.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    What was that clip that was leaked that news stations put together for if the world ended? Someone needs to get that rolling on Twitter

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Elon acting like the influx of DAUs is proof that Twitter is doing great is amazing.

Buddy we heard they were gonna tear down our old abandoned high school building next week, and we broke in to throw one last party.
    We'll probably accidentally set it on fire and end the night running from the cops.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Kissinger is going to outlive Twitter?!?!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    What was that clip that was leaked that news stations put together for if the world ended? Someone needs to get that rolling on Twitter

https://youtu.be/qzhPzHhnFl0

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    asofyeun wrote: »
    can musk even sell twitter at this point? won't it have the $44 billion in debt obligations still and no way to get that in revenue? will the banks be able to get their pound of flesh from him?

Twitter only has ~3.5bn in debt after the buyout, and that is the only amount that the banks are currently "owed" by both Elon and twitter.

Edit: I divided by 2 twice for some reason. Of the ~13bn in debt held by banks, 6.7bn is on the books at twitter, the rest if in bonds held by the banks.

https://www.ft.com/content/d1879d0c-c52e-4f48-82f0-09458add4aee
    The $12.7bn in debt has been split between a $6.7bn term loan, along with $3bn each of secured bonds and unsecured debt, obligations that are ultimately expected to be financed as fixed-rate bonds.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I love how incompetently this was done.

Apparently he thought they were more hardcore

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    So at this point are there... accountants and so on to pay those severances and pay the tab to AWS? Because this sounds like it'll be a worse version of when a company forgets to pay their domain name fee, except this will be no one pays the license fee for their password vault, and everyone that even knew what password vault they were using resigned and so everything is just going to stop working with no number of offshore contractors able to bring it back up.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    matthias00 wrote: »
    Welp, just tried to export my twitter data archive and the text verification said I had "exceeded my verification limit" - the first time I've tried it in several days.

Probably nothing to worry about!!

The text verification system has been down for a few days now. The email one still works, although I tried to export my archive the other day and I'm still waiting so... :#

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    I have figured out enough about Mastodon to be able to follow folks on there, so that's neat

This discussion has been closed.