Options

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    The few times I've had oxycodone or morpheme I've felt absolutely none of their usual effects. If my life has Fallout traits, I guess I'm just chem resistant?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the media straight up lying about the lethality of fentanyl is an actual literal cop psyop

it's goddamn miserable

They literally give pregnant mothers fentanyl as like, the second line of pain management behind an epidural! It's used during surgery all the time! It's utterly insane that the media just ran with it being goddamned Joker Venom so cops can get a month off and say that somebody threatened their life for having literally any drugs on them!

Like by all the time we mean like 90% of all fucking surgeries

But the pills are brightly colored! They’re clearly marketing them to children!! Think of the children!!!

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

Fentanyl is generally administered intravenously

It was a reference to this sort of ridiculous fentanyl panic that the media has shamelessly parroted for the last couple of years: https://www.wdsu.com/article/st-bernard-parish-fentanyl-pill-candy-warning/41547319

I have actually known people in extended social circles who died of fentanyl-laced party drugs, and especially in the days before test kits went around and import restrictions on it got tightened, so I think it's worth saying there is a "there" there even if the conservative hyper-spin on it ends up in fundamentally misled places

like the LD50 on fentanyl and carfentanyl is still a shockingly small amount — even if it is simple for a professional to medically dose in dilute form, imprecise or reckless dosing (let alone surprise dosing) can cross that line scarily quick

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Because metoo was only ever Hollywood political infighting, not a progressive movement.

What does that even mean?
    Those that the powers that be wanted gone were touchable, those in with the cool kids were untouchable. It goes a long way to explaining why some never saw consequences despite serious accusations and others were out after comparatively minor accusations. It was a convenient tool to get rid of people who they wanted to get rid of. It was nice that some nasty people lost their jobs, but I don't believe they lost it because they were nasty. There's too many nasty folks still around for me to believe that.

The question was rhetorical. It's no secret that ultimately a lot of powerful creeps escaped without any negative effects. It is also true that those creeps escaped any sort of justice partly because they were in with the right people or made the right people a lot of money. However I find describing the attempt by real victims who bravely came forward to share their stories as "hollywood political infighting" to be gross.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A head of lettuce
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    the media straight up lying about the lethality of fentanyl is an actual literal cop psyop

it's goddamn miserable

They literally give pregnant mothers fentanyl as like, the second line of pain management behind an epidural! It's used during surgery all the time! It's utterly insane that the media just ran with it being goddamned Joker Venom so cops can get a month off and say that somebody threatened their life for having literally any drugs on them!

But the pills are brightly colored! They’re clearly marketing them to children!! Think of the children!!!

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

It was a reference to this sort of ridiculous fentanyl panic that the media has shamelessly parroted for the last couple of years: https://www.wdsu.com/article/st-bernard-parish-fentanyl-pill-candy-warning/41547319

I have actually known people in extended social circles who died of fentanyl-laced party drugs, and especially in the days before test kits went around and import restrictions on it got tightened, so I think it's worth saying there is a "there" there even if the conservative hyper-spin on it ends up in fundamentally misled places

like the LD50 on fentanyl and carfentanyl is still a shockingly small amount — even if it is simple for a professional to medically dose in dilute form, imprecise or reckless dosing (let alone surprise dosing) can cross that line scarily quick

Oh, 100%. The trouble is there's just a level of nuance to the problem that gets totally obliterated when it's primarily being reported on by local news outlets who want nothing more than to repeat cop press releases without any fact checking or investigation. Instead of any real discussion on the actual legitimate dangers of it and how to be safe, it only ever comes out as fear mongering about drug dealers trying to give your 10 year olds free drugs or whatever.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Ah yes, notable source of disposable income, the 10 year old.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Ah yes, notable source of disposable income, the 10 year old.

If Neil Young says it, it's true.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Also notable repeat customer, someone who died from your product. Kill all the clientele, that's the secret to good business.

Media doesn't stop to think for two seconds that if fentanyl was truly so dangerous to kill anyone who so much as touches it then who's even going to buy the stuff in the first place?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Let's all go back to being weird ocean critters

I'm going to evolve into a crab

Very popular choice!

This is supposed to be heard in the voice of the manager of the Happiness Hotel from The Great Muppet Caper, right?

Because that's how I heard it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

Yeah it’s pretty scary how many people were giving it away during beggars’ night this year

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Cop misinformation obliterates actual information and makes it look like more lies. More blood on their hands

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

Do you have any more details on how they were contaminated with Fentanyl?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

One was an ecstasy pill cut with it, another was coke, neither person had a history with opioids

Again this was like five-six years ago in the days where bulk synthesis of it was going unregulated, and it was ending up as filler in stuff because of how weirdly cheap it was, as well as before fentanyl test kits were widely available and recommended

Like in the kinds of rave and underground party scenes where harder drugs were going around, this absolutely was a thing that people were and still are kinda spooked by

However the whole notion of it ending up in Halloween candy or poisoning cops by merely handling baggies of drugs is bunk

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Fentanyl has been all over the place here in Austin. Kinda famous (and heartbreaking) story was a football player who OD'd on xanax laced with the stuff.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Anecdotally, one of my firefighter friends says that about 90% of their calls are fentanyl overdoses

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Anecdotally, one of my firefighter friends says that about 90% of their calls are fentanyl overdoses

Copaganda aside it is a real problem

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Becoming a cop gives you a -4 debuff to fentanyl. Just being in the same room as imaginary fentanyl can be fatal to them (or rather give them a panic attack that they’re too dumb to differentiate from the drug)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    If we had sensible drug policy in America there'd be no reason to be cutting recreational drugs with strong opioids.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Yeah fentanyl is weird because on one side you have copaganda with police brainwashing themselves so hard that they have literal, medical panic attacks about it. Which if it wasn't such a problem for everyone else, lol lmao, pathetic.

On the other hand it kills a lot of people.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The copaganda version of it makes it less likely that people will assist an overdose victim, because they'll be afraid of contact highs.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Honestly the one I've seen fuck up the most people first-hand was Spice (JWH-018 nad similar synthetic cannabinoids), natural weed/THC has limits to how much the body can uptake at once but the Spice chems can fry out the entire nervous system incredibly quickly and efficiently - doesn't kill but definitely makes people weird, seen long term users have effects ranging from seizures to being bordering on zombified

Another one where sensible drug policy would probably eliminate the need for it entirely since the way Spice was marketed back when it was unregulated was "it doesn't show up on drug screens!"

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    We really need to get SFs building inspectors on this specific problem

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The copaganda version of it makes it less likely that people will assist an overdose victim, because they'll be afraid of contact highs.

Also makes its medical usage much less likely to continue if media ever gets it in their depraved heads to do an "expose" on how fentanyl is being given to pregnant women. Of course they'll neglect to mention why in that soundbite.

• Options
    A head of lettuce

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

One was an ecstasy pill cut with it, another was coke, neither person had a history with opioids

Again this was like five-six years ago in the days where bulk synthesis of it was going unregulated, and it was ending up as filler in stuff because of how weirdly cheap it was, as well as before fentanyl test kits were widely available and recommended

Like in the kinds of rave and underground party scenes where harder drugs were going around, this absolutely was a thing that people were and still are kinda spooked by

However the whole notion of it ending up in Halloween candy or poisoning cops by merely handling baggies of drugs is bunk

I ask because I'm a nurse anesthetist and I handle Fentanyl on a daily basis. Other than a few specific types, there's just nothing to be absorbed orally or via your GI tract.

And Fentanyl hasn't ever been cheap (at least not compared to other recreational substances) so the whole idea of using it to mix with other stuff doesn't make any sense to me.

Who told you it was Fentanyl? Were there any drug assays done of the pills themselves? Serum toxicology? Did you just hear that it was opioid related?

I ask because these stories almost never have any real basis to them, outside of people who've actually stolen Fentanyl itself and then injected.

• Options

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

I ask because I'm a nurse anesthetist and I handle Fentanyl on a daily basis. Other than a few specific types, there's just nothing to be absorbed orally or via your GI tract.

And Fentanyl hasn't ever been cheap (at least not compared to other recreational substances) so the whole idea of using it to mix with other stuff doesn't make any sense to me.

Who told you it was Fentanyl? Were there any drug assays done of the pills themselves? Serum toxicology? Did you just hear that it was opioid related?

I ask because these stories almost never have any real basis to them, outside of people who've actually stolen Fentanyl itself and then injected.

I have not personally seen a toxicology report but, oral and intranasal uptake are both reasonably well-studied and have published papers verifying they're possible

Also the fentanyl used in the drug trade is not medical grade, and was (especially at the time before the government really started actively monitoring for its import) synthesized out of country and imported in bulk, this was like an entire thing that went on for a couple years until the feds really cracked down

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

You might be surprised at home many drugs are actually cut with fentanyl. I would hear a lot of reports of it back when I worked in addiction more so than now. The drug screens virtually always verified that it was there. I can't hope to explain all of it. The best explanation I have been given is that it is relatively cheap for how hard it hits you so it is used to stretch stuff out. All I can say for certain is how very often it showed up in tox screens.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

Copaganda aside it is a real problem

the lies about fenatyl are almost completely about how it will magically cause cops to od by touching it, which is ridiculous. It's always about the cops' exposure over anything else.

The kid story seems like it's probably true, it at least definitely happened where a child went into cardiac arrest at a park and it was his kid. But yeah, that looks like a freak accident where a child got something into its mouth off the ground that was hard to notice. Hey, maybe if SF had a better homeless situation with places for them to go or god forbid actually provided housing, this also could have been avoided but yeah, definitely should just panic about drug use instead.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Gnizmo wrote: »

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

You might be surprised at home many drugs are actually cut with fentanyl. I would hear a lot of reports of it back when I worked in addiction more so than now. The drug screens virtually always verified that it was there. I can't hope to explain all of it. The best explanation I have been given is that it is relatively cheap for how hard it hits you so it is used to stretch stuff out. All I can say for certain is how very often it showed up in tox screens.

My layman understanding is a lot of it was coming from labs overseas and a lot of unsavory types were using it to "Spice" up their product. Had an old roommate of mine who I had to Narcan because they were taking Xanax that had been laced with it. That was a bad day.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

And I'm not Mortal Sky but practically all the youth (<23) fentanyl cases that go to the medical examiner are Xanax cut with fentanyl

• Options
    To be clear wrt my own credentials, I do work in a health statistics field so this is not something I'm purely stumbling into by having friends who go hard at festivals and clubs, I do have actual literacy on this one

• Options
    A head of lettuce
    I didn't mean to suggest you weren't credible, I'll have to do more research on this for my own practice

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Neat!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So nepotism is now really hardcore.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-twitter-bari-weiss-cousins-confidants-2022-12
    Two of Musk's cousins, James and Andrew Musk, appear to now be acting as full-time Twitter employees, both of the people familiar said. They are sons of Musk's uncle on his father's side. Both men work daily at Twitter offices, with Andrew Musk working on software-engineering projects and James Musk seen more as "a fixer type," one of the people said, helping Musk out with various needs and tasks. Another family member frequently seen around the office is Musk's two-year-old son with Grimes, X Æ A-12, the people familiar said. The toddler is often on the 10th floor, where Musk works and sometimes plays with X amid the many employees now working on that floor as well.
    Musk last month hired George Hotz, an engineer and former hacker, as another engineering "intern." And on a trial basis, he hired Daniel Francis, as Insider reported, part of the duo who hoaxed members of the media on Musk's first day in charge. Francis continues to work as a developer, one of the people said.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I had forgotten he named his child that.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So that's basically just his "royal" court, now.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

it's goddamn miserable

Wtf do you mean “pills”?

eh...

like right now wholesale it's like $30/mg

which considering the actual dosages involved is dirt cheap compared to eg epi or literally anything animal-derived

edit: I do materials for an ASC as part of my job, so I see those prices literally all the time

edit edit: that said I have literally no idea what the recreational market looks like at all

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The weird thing about musk acting like he lives in an empty home out of like anything but desire is crazy. Doesn't he have like 10 fucking kids? I'm sure one of the mothers would be elated if that shit bag actually was a father every once in a while.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A head of lettuce
    Preacher wrote: »
    The weird thing about musk acting like he lives in an empty home out of like anything but desire is crazy. Doesn't he have like 10 fucking kids? I'm sure one of the mothers would be elated if that shit bag actually was a father every once in a while.

would you really want Musk to try to be a father to your children, or would you rather just have the money?

edit: no type good

asofyeun on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    ... I can't tell if you're being facetious

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Real strong Trump energy he's got going on.

Juggernut on
This discussion has been closed.