As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trump Criminal Exposure] INDICTED! AGAIN! This time, it's D.C.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Arguably, releasing those records now is essentially meaningless? I don't know that there's really anything to be done with them at this point anyhow.

If there's criminality, they can be forwarded to the DOJ, I believe. And possibly to the New York AG as well.

And also a lot of "Trump isn't paying his fair share" attacks to be made.

Makes a Romney-style "out of touch plutocrat" campaign against him easier.

Not to the guy who said tax evasion "makes me smart" in a presidential debate.

Possibly the one thing he hates more than anything is the thought that he isn't actually rich. The Comedy Central 'Roast' had one rule: no jokes about how much money he doesn't have.

If Trump wasn't legit rich before, he probably is now due to all the grifting he's done. Just wholesale taking the RNC's money.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Arguably, releasing those records now is essentially meaningless? I don't know that there's really anything to be done with them at this point anyhow.

If there's criminality, they can be forwarded to the DOJ, I believe. And possibly to the New York AG as well.

Possibly the one thing he hates more than anything is the thought that he isn't actually rich. The Comedy Central 'Roast' had one rule: no jokes about how much money he doesn't have.

If Trump wasn't legit rich before, he probably is now due to all the grifting he's done. Just wholesale taking the RNC's money.

Trump owes a lot of that money to his debtors. I think right now he's getting real lucky Russia has been driven into the sea, though I bet he actually thinks this is somehow hurting him.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    SCOTUS has unanimously ruled Trump’s tax records will be released to Congress

Weird how impossible things keep happening

I will consider it justice served when his sentence is read and he's led out of the courtroom in handcuffs, with no capability to appeal.

I've also been quiet regarding the progress of the justice system lately, just as an exercise in trying to keep myself from being constantly negative. But Bannon got convicted and is still out and free to do as he pleases and spread hate freely while the appeals go through and hasn't seen the inside of a jail cell... and it only cost him about 5 grand, so far, unless his appeals reverse that as well. People usually spend their appeals time in jail, but special privileges for special rich white men as per the usual.

So, consider me unmoved until the entire process is complete and Trump rots in prison. I do not believe the justice system has earned my faith in any possible way.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think that line doesn't work near as well when people get to look at the actual numbers. It's one of the many reasons he's fighting so hard to keep this shit a secret.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I think that line doesn't work near as well when people get to look at the actual numbers. It's one of the many reasons he's fighting so hard to keep this shit a secret.

His ex leaked some tax returns that didn't damage him and so did Rachel Maddow. When a candidate is playing the "outsider" and "businessman" cards it's not that damaging to be a tax dodger especially when your representing the party of perpetual tax cuts for the rich.

The tax returns thing is more of a legal liability than a political one.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

His ex leaked some tax returns that didn't damage him and so did Rachel Maddow. When a candidate is playing the "outsider" and "businessman" cards it's not that damaging to be a tax dodger especially when your representing the party of perpetual tax cuts for the rich.

The tax returns thing is more of a legal liability than a political one.

Neither of those really count. The Maddow thing is practically famous among people who even remember it happened for being a complete dud. That's a whole different context from "Here's literally his real tax returns, in full"

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, wasn't the Maddow one the equivalent of a cover sheet? Like, I recall it being more than that, but not by a lot.

Which was unfortunately massively over hyped in the lead up, which meant that expectations weren't managed.

People were expecting a ketchup stained sheet with bold font lines for All The Criming I'm Doing, rather than what we got, which I recall was part of the leaks showing dodging and hinting at some obvious fuckery with property value assessments.

But the last half decade has been roughly three decades long, so I may be conflating some things here.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I think the Trump info from Maddow was essentially a cover sheet, but I think it also had some of the first evidence of how Trump would inflate the value of his property to get loans, but deflate the value when it game time to pay taxes and stuff like that.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    I think the Trump info from Maddow was essentially a cover sheet, but I think it also had some of the first evidence of how Trump would inflate the value of his property to get loans, but deflate the value when it game time to pay taxes and stuff like that.

It still had a line of him paying like $28M in taxes one year which is the real reason it was a dud story.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    U.S. appeals court rules against Trump in documents fight, ends arbiter

WASHINGTON, Dec 1 (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Thursday dealt a blow to Donald Trump, reversing a judge's appointment of an independent arbiter to vet documents seized by the FBI from his Florida home and allowing all of the records to be used in a criminal investigation of the former president.

A three-judge panel of the Atlanta-based 11th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the Justice Department in its challenge to a September ruling by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon to appoint a "special master" to review the records to decide if some should be kept from investigators. The 11th Circuit also overturned Cannon's decision to bar investigators from accessing most of the records pending the review.

Trump faces a federal criminal investigation into his retention of sensitive government records after leaving office in January 2021, including whether he violated a 1917 law called the Espionage Act that makes it a crime to release information harmful to national security. Investigators also are looking into potential unlawful obstruction of the probe.

"The law is clear. We cannot write a rule that allows any subject of a search warrant to block government investigations after the execution of the warrant," the panel wrote. "Nor can we write a rule that allows only former presidents to do so."

The 11th Circuit ordered the dismissal of Trump's lawsuit filed after the Aug. 8 raid of his Florida estate.

Trump is likely to appeal the 11th Circuit's action to the conservative-majority U.S. Supreme Court.

The Justice Department and representatives for Trump did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Three days after Trump announced a run for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland on Nov. 18 appointed a special counsel, Jack Smith, to oversee the documents criminal investigation and another one also relating to Trump.

FBI agents seized about 11,000 records, including about 100 marked as classified, during the Aug. 8 court-approved search at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach. Cannon appointed Raymond Dearie, another federal judge, at Trump's request to review the records to consider whether any should be walled off from the criminal investigation.

Cannon also halted prosecutors from using the documents taken in the search as part of their criminal investigation until the conclusion of Dearie's review, although an appeals court later gave the government access to the materials marked as classified.

Trump's lawyers have asked Dearie to find that some documents are protected by executive privilege, a legal doctrine that permits presidents to keep certain communications secret, or meet the definition of "personal" papers that should be kept private. Trump's lawyers argued that he designated certain records as his personal papers, a claim that the Justice Department disputes.

Trump sued two weeks after the Mar-a-Lago raid, arguing that his status as a former president required a third-party review of the documents. While Trump has claimed that he declassified the records and that the FBI may have planted evidence, his lawyers have not repeated those statements in court.

The Justice Department argued that Cannon, who was appointed to her judgeship by Trump, lacked the authority to grant his request for a special master at this stage of the investigation. Prosecutors said they have their own team that combed through the seized pages and kept any potentially privileged information out of the probe.

Justice Department lawyers also said Trump, as a former president, cannot invoke executive privilege for documents that belong to the current executive branch of the U.S. government.

Trump will certainly appeal the decision to the Supreme Court where all bets are off, but it's at least another blow against Trump and the sham initial ruling by Judge Cannon.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I expect SCOTUS to tell Trump to go fuck himself here too. There is no legal basis for any of this and the only reason it got this far is because Cannon is the biggest hack in the country. In a more perfect world this would get her impeached and removed from the bench.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Site is paywalled, any additional details?

Specifically, where? The little I could see said there were four sites that were searched, but not where any were found?

Also, how many? One or two is still bad, but full boxes would be farcical and perfectly fitting with this clownshow.

MorganV on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Specifically, where? The little I could see said there were four sites that were searched, but not where any were found?

Also, how many? One or two is still bad, but full boxes would be farcical and perfectly fitting with this clownshow.

If it wasn't for all the other documents he bragged about stealing, I might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for the most recent discovery

NYTimes wrote:
    Former President Donald J. Trump hired people to search four properties after being directed by a federal judge to look harder for any classified material still in his possession, and they found at least two documents with classified markings inside a sealed box in one of the locations, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Mr. Trump’s search team discovered the documents at a federally run storage site in West Palm Beach, Fla., the person said, prompting his lawyers to notify the Justice Department about them.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

NYT wrote:
    Former President Donald J. Trump hired people to search four properties after being directed by a federal judge to look harder for any classified material still in his possession, and they found at least two documents with classified markings inside a sealed box in one of the locations, according to a person familiar with the matter.
    Mr. Trump’s search team discovered the documents at a federally run storage site in West Palm Beach, Fla., the person said, prompting his lawyers to notify the Justice Department about them.
    and
    The discovery of the documents at the storage unit, maintained by the federal General Services Administration, came during a series of wider searches that were completed around Thanksgiving and conducted at Mr. Trump’s golf club in Bedminster, N.J.; at Trump Tower in New York; and in a storage closet at Mar-a-Lago, according to two people familiar with the events.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    The Guardian is carrying the story as well.
    Attorneys for Donald Trump discovered two classified items among materials retrieved from a Florida storage unit rented for the former president, the Washington Post reports.

Just 2 requires more context, but also... it should be 0, and as we already discussed, finding any was a sign that there were likely even more to find.

So, about that burial site...

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    This notice and compliance to the order basically means that this will amount to absolutely nothing. So goes the White Collar Crime life.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    This notice and compliance to the order basically means that this will amount to absolutely nothing. So goes the White Collar Crime life.

The FBI absolutely needs to double check those sites after the whoopsie of taking Trump and his lawyers at their word the first time around.

I'll believe they complied when it's independently verified by someone other than people 'hired by Trump'.

• Options
    raging_stormraging_storm Registered User regular

Dude is a few billion in debt via a German bank to the Russian mob. If he's rich than I am rich because I own actual assets and I am not in debt to the mob.

He's been floating on credit for decades and running scams to make the payments. I also don't have man children showing up on TV and bragging that money comes via Russia after US banks won't give me loans.

He's deep in over his head.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Forar wrote: »
    Attorneys for Donald Trump discovered two classified items among materials retrieved from a Florida storage unit rented for the former president, the Washington Post reports.

Just 2 requires more context, but also... it should be 0, and as we already discussed, finding any was a sign that there were likely even more to find.

Definitely the first thing that came to mind when I read "inside a sealed box."

This 2 sounds like sloppiness, though, because I doubt he would have intentionally tried to hide them at a GSA facility, and because it sounds like these were people he hired?

Probably as suprised they found something as he is furious that they turned it in, if that's the case.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    zagdrob wrote: »

The FBI absolutely needs to double check those sites after the whoopsie of taking Trump and his lawyers at their word the first time around.

I'll believe they complied when it's independently verified by someone other than people 'hired by Trump'.

I believe that they “found” these two documents at the storage facility as a way of making it look like Bedminster had been searched and there was nothing there.

I have zero faith in anyone that would willingly associated with the Trumps to tell the truth.

This just means there are absolutely documents hidden elsewhere he wants to keep hidden.

Viskod on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

NYT wrote:
    and
    The discovery of the documents at the storage unit, maintained by the federal General Services Administration, came during a series of wider searches that were completed around Thanksgiving and conducted at Mr. Trump’s golf club in Bedminster, N.J.; at Trump Tower in New York; and in a storage closet at Mar-a-Lago, according to two people familiar with the events.

You've really stolen a lot of classified material when you misplace some and don't even notice it.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Really, all this started because classified documents are tracked, and a bunch were unaccounted for. So the real question is if there's still documents missing.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I'm not going to lie: no matter how shitty I thought trump was, no matter how much vile contemptible crap he pulled, I did not ever think we'd get to a point where we'd have to exhume a body to be sure he didn't hide federal documents.

And to be clear, I don't think he did, since the whole point of stealing documents like this is so you can disseminate them and being 6 feet under would make that harder.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Burying secret documents in his ex’s grave is the stupidest left-wing conspiracy in some time. It’s up there with the “Melania replaced by a body double”

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Burying secret documents in his ex’s grave is the stupidest left-wing conspiracy in some time. It’s up there with the “Melania replaced by a body double”

It's dumb, but so is burying your ex wife on your golf course.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

If I die and my children let my crazy, abusive ex bury me in their yard, anyone spreading conspiracy theories insane enough to get me out of there would be doing so with my blessing.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

If I die and my children let my crazy, abusive ex bury me in their yard, anyone spreading conspiracy theories insane enough to get me out of there would be doing so with my blessing.
    You heard it here. Firing @ArbitraryDescriptor’s body into a wood chipper is the cure for boredom.

• Options

I’m sure Marla Maples is buying a family plot right now for fear of ending up under the clubhouse.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I’m sure Marla Maples is buying a family plot right now for fear of ending up under the clubhouse.

Melania has a spot reserved next to the dogleg on a par 4. An honorable resting place.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

I'm not going to lie: no matter how shitty I thought trump was, no matter how much vile contemptible crap he pulled, I did not ever think we'd get to a point where we'd have to exhume a body to be sure he didn't hide federal documents.

And to be clear, I don't think he did, since the whole point of stealing documents like this is so you can disseminate them and being 6 feet under would make that harder.

I can imagine panicking and wanting them to disappear but not wanting to destroy them so you can get them later, but it’s a little too “I saw it in a movie” to be something a real live person would do.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

I can imagine panicking and wanting them to disappear but not wanting to destroy them so you can get them later, but it’s a little too “I saw it in a movie” to be something a real live person would do.

I agree, and I would hope to have a body of work on these forums that would make it clear to be a mostly tongue in cheek jab.

However, given that he seems to run his businesses and administration like a gangster movie/show, “it’s the sort of thing that happens in bad movies doesn’t exactly reduce the odds either…

• Options
    It's well known the real and incredibly gross reason he buried his ex on one his properties: eligibility for a relatively small tax break.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It's well known the real and incredibly gross reason he buried his ex on one his properties: eligibility for a relatively small tax break.

Ehh. Trump is motivated by a few things. I figure it was at least as much about ego/control, and him being a petty shit, as it was the tax break.

The woman divorced him several decades ago. This is him getting the final word on that.

Sure, the tax cut is something, but I'm not sure it's not just him monetising his pettiness.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Buried docs have no value for him

Either he wants them to sell or for ego, or he wants them hidden and the toilet is right there

• Options

Either he wants them to sell or for ego, or he wants them hidden and the toilet is right there

The idea that he buried classified docs with his ex-wife is ridiculous conspiracy theory. The whole point of buried treasure is that people don't know where to look. If Trump buried anything with her, it's entirely unrecoverable because unearthing her grave would be pretty obvious and the grave is in a visible and well known location.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like the only way that this would work would be if trump could concoct some excuse for having to move the gravesite which is extremely difficult and would require a work crew to turn a blind eye to him opening a sealed casket.

And besides that, if trump wanted to hide documents at maralago there are way easier places and ways to do this; burying them in a sand trap or putting them in a waterproof case and dropping them in a water hazard would be far simpler.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

The idea that he buried classified docs with his ex-wife is ridiculous conspiracy theory. The whole point of buried treasure is that people don't know where to look. If Trump buried anything with her, it's entirely unrecoverable because unearthing her grave would be pretty obvious and the grave is in a visible and well known location.

Like stupid Republican conspiracy theories it’s all about sharing your attitude and getting social feedback from people who feel the same way.

So if I say “Trump buried secret documents in his ex-wife’s grave” I am expressing dislike of Trump, saying that he’s a person who would stop at nothing to be as corrupt and unfeeling as possible. I don’t believe it literally, but I will swear I do to show how committed I am to the belief that Trump is scum. If you engage in the shared pretence with me, I know that you are part of my social tribe, someone I can rely on to have my back, because you will back me up on something you know not to be true.

It irritates the heck out of me because I have a pathological aversion to lies. They really bother me, whether they suit my worldview or not.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Like stupid Republican conspiracy theories it’s all about sharing your attitude and getting social feedback from people who feel the same way.

So if I say “Trump buried secret documents in his ex-wife’s grave” I am expressing dislike of Trump, saying that he’s a person who would stop at nothing to be as corrupt and unfeeling as possible. I don’t believe it literally, but I will swear I do to show how committed I am to the belief that Trump is scum. If you engage in the shared pretence with me, I know that you are part of my social tribe, someone I can rely on to have my back, because you will back me up on something you know not to be true.

It irritates the heck out of me because I have a pathological aversion to lies. They really bother me, whether they suit my worldview or not.

The problem being that as we've seen, if the lies are said often enough and loud enough, people believe them.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Obviously Trump didn't bury classified documents in his ex wife's grave on his golf course. He buried a horcrux.

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.