As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lots of controller issues suddenly

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
Since tghe last windows update most of my games have either been crashing or locking up when I play with a controller. I get about 15 mins and then bam. Is this happening to anyone else? The only clue I have is this error message in a text log file from the game Infernax:
Joystick connected ("Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)").
Joystick reconnected ("Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)").
<RI.Hid> Failed to create device file:
e7 All pipe instances are busy.
<RI.Hid> Failed to open asynchronous device handle:
All pipe instances are busy.
Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 35 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 5824.
Total: 170.362900 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.324000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.145900 ms MarkObjects: 169.846400 ms DeleteObjects: 0.046300 ms)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 5824.
Total: 120.455100 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.457000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.348200 ms MarkObjects: 119.638900 ms DeleteObjects: 0.010600 ms)

<RI> Failed to get input data:
The handle is invalid.
gOWCVlfWvqbsXbeEFNEMySoSqORv:vAugZLiFANbJPxUlBvQOuLnJuzE(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
GYdjtWnMwkJwzMTkuuGMpRKwoPo:AfjSpApmQOjKevJGhuNxoUpedtE(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
GIKOwCbEWjyeAfRtXtwvdOPgUwz:Invoke(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
EcaivbCzhShlQWheKNUxmEKCgtP:AfjSpApmQOjKevJGhuNxoUpedtE(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
fTQAnpAOjUkMFFaZMCtjLHqMPpX:eSodrgnfcnQlsUCTAwGJWHZYPlu(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

[ line -269556600]

I've tried different controllers, ports and cords but nothing seems to help.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Since tghe last windows update most of my games have either been crashing or locking up when I play with a controller. I get about 15 mins and then bam. Is this happening to anyone else? The only clue I have is this error message in a text log file from the game Infernax:
    Joystick connected ("Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)").
    <RI.Hid> Failed to open asynchronous device handle:
    All pipe instances are busy.
    Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 35 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 5824.
    Total: 170.362900 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.324000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.145900 ms MarkObjects: 169.846400 ms DeleteObjects: 0.046300 ms)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 5824.
    Total: 120.455100 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.457000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.348200 ms MarkObjects: 119.638900 ms DeleteObjects: 0.010600 ms)

<RI> Failed to get input data:
    The handle is invalid.
    gOWCVlfWvqbsXbeEFNEMySoSqORv:vAugZLiFANbJPxUlBvQOuLnJuzE(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
    GYdjtWnMwkJwzMTkuuGMpRKwoPo:AfjSpApmQOjKevJGhuNxoUpedtE(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
    EcaivbCzhShlQWheKNUxmEKCgtP:AfjSpApmQOjKevJGhuNxoUpedtE(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
    fTQAnpAOjUkMFFaZMCtjLHqMPpX:eSodrgnfcnQlsUCTAwGJWHZYPlu(IntPtr, UInt32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

[ line -269556600]

I've tried different controllers, ports and cords but nothing seems to help.

There's not much to go on here other than the error appears to be coming from the Windows API (from searching). I'm also guessing "hid" is human-interface device, which includes USB devices. Perhaps you are hitting some device limit or something else you have connected is causing issues. If you have multiple devices connected via USB, try disconnecting all of them that you can and then use the process of elimination. Also, try checking the Event Viewer (Control Panel -> Admin Tools) and see when the error occurs if an equivalent error shows up in Event Viewer to hopefully give a more verbose error or perhaps errors that occurred before which are the cause. Maybe there's also some information in Device Manager under "Human Interface Devices", expand it and see if any errors show up. Good luck.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I posted this in the Win thread, but I also hit Xb1 controller issues around nov 1st.

I didn't chase them down in the Event Viewer, but they manifested by games losing screen focus (as if someone pressed win+D), and then if you alt-tabbed back the controller would be unresponsive.
    Disconnect/Reconnect reset it.

I had it happen in Vampire Survivor and in Gotham Knights.
    My solution for now was hooking up my PS4 controller instead, which made the bugs go away.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK