As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NAS: Need opinions on networked storage devices.

Agent of T.E.T.R.A.Agent of T.E.T.R.A. __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello. I'm a bit embarrassed to have a HELP thread as both my first post and first thread, but it seems like you guys could be a BIG help. I have a few IDE drives both in separate external enclosures. It's a fine solution most of the time, but having these drives on a network and contained in something with at least a modicum of portability would be fantastic. My setup is a bit sparse and simple, so I realize that the cheapest NAS from [insert BIG BOX store here] would be servicible:

2x500GB 7200RPM IDE Drives
WRT54G Linksys Wireless-G Router
PowerBook 12" G4 1.5GHz

So, long story short, I'd really appreciate any and all recommendations and experiences with NAS devices. Does built-in torrenting work well? Is it noisy? Is using it with Mac and PCs transparent and simple? What kind of transfer speeds are you getting?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry if this is a redundant thread - NAS is below the character threshold for search and expanding the acronymn didn't bring up a relevant thread.

Agent of T.E.T.R.A. on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just so this doesn't fall off the first page without a reply...

Check engadget. They put up reviews of NAS devices quite often, and you should be able to search for something suitable there. Buffalo I believe appeared a lot when I was subscribed to their RSS feed.

devoir on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Your selection is somewhat limited by your hardware. IDE/PATA and NAS don't really go together these days, most of the consumer line NAS boxes are SATA. You could try to find an empty original Buffalo TeraStation or something like it, but good luck.

I have a Synology DS-106e, but I couldn't tell you much about built-in torrenting because I've never tried it. I also don't mess with Macs so I couldn't tell you about cross platform transparency (which I'm sure varies from brand to brand and model to model). Transfer speeds are best enumerated by this chart.

Keep in mind your performance with your wireless will be pretty bad in any case. It's one thing to have a gigabit NAS on a gigabit switch with a gigabit desktop, but when you throw it all down the wireless hole everything gets throttled down to less than half speed of 10/100. And because most people have their wireless rate set to some form of automatic, it'll be adjusting the speed up and down constantly introducing even more latency. You can pretty much consider wireless to be equivalent of a 10Base-T network in speed and capacity.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png