As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] New Slim version announced.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Games and Technology
OIP.LKLLVPmP8Btx3qIe9UjVZQHaFv?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

OIP.AGz-4NHYCKPvdYot3Wh9yQHaEK?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Playstation 5: disc and discless available. Now you can buy yours.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Started up Callisto with the SO last night.

So far I love the setting. Feels like Expanse.

Oddly it's not really as scary as I hoped. Especially since early is when scary games are usually the scariest. A few jump scares made the SO scream but thats about it.

The melee combat feels really good so far. It's got an awesome flow to it. It was actually cool seeing the SO actually playing most of the combat herself and dodging the shit out of things. For reference she does not play games. The only game she ever played through herself(mostly i did a platforming section or 2 for her) was Astro's Playground where she couldn't move the camera and character at the same time.

And yet here she is dodging more attacks on 1 night than our entire playthrough of Kirby and the Forgotten Land haha. She said since it isnt a reactionary thing it just felt easier. She actually got it quicker than I did since I had to break out of trying to tap it in reaction.

Overall fun time so far! Although the "return to cockpit" goal early on was some terrible design haha. It says return to cockpit so we did just that... only to find out they meant continue forward and follow a completely different path to the cockpit or it doesn't count..

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I really need to finish it. I haven't been feeling very good lately so I haven't had the energy to boot it up but I'm really digging this new area.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I have been playing Tactics Ogre Reborn, because Midnight Suns did not scratch the itch sufficiently for my liking and it's pretty good so far.

Fun fact, I last played this game 20 years ago, in Japanese. I cannot read Japanese.

This is a lot easier.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have been playing Tactics Ogre Reborn, because Midnight Suns did not scratch the itch sufficiently for my liking and it's pretty good so far.

Fun fact, I last played this game 20 years ago, in Japanese. I cannot read Japanese.

This is a lot easier.

Another one I need to go back to! I was enjoying it until Callisto Protocol came out haha.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Oh shit the latest patch for Callisto Protocol added the ability to save and load anywhere. That takes away one of my major complaints about it.

Saves the checkpoints so it's less good. And maybe it's always been there? I don't remember seeing it but I'm getting old.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Callisto Protocol complete! Really enjoyed it. A solid 7/10 experience marred by a few baffling design decisions. Once the season pass content starts rolling out I may dabble in it again. By then it'll have enough time in the cooker to feel like a brand new experience.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Finally got a PS5 on the way. Wal-Mart had a God Of War bundle. I would have preferred the disc-less unit with no bonus game, but I'll take what I can get after casually looking for like a damn year.

My body is ready for FF16 now.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    So Sifu got a Replay Editor feature yesterday. So I loaded it up for the first time in months and gave it a whirl. It's a really neat tool.
    https://youtu.be/7jv3oKRnAU8

One of my few unshakable beliefs when it comes to games is "single player action games should have in-engine replays that you can edit", and this only strengthens my belief.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Demo for FORSPOKEN up on the store. If you play it turn off HDR and the chattiness of the MC. Once you do that, there is a surprisingly kinetic action RPG in the vein of FFXV. . .except with more combat depth.

. . .the UI is going to turn a lot of people off though.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Why do some games do HDR really bad? I like the main character chatter personally

Also as someone who’s never owned a PlayStation console before it took me forever to find the demo, given that it’s hidden under the three dot menu of the game, with no other way to know it exists unless you’ve heard online

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Why do some games do HDR really bad? I like the main character chatter personally

Also as someone who’s never owned a PlayStation console before it took me forever to find the demo, given that it’s hidden under the three dot menu of the game, with no other way to know it exists unless you’ve heard online

Use the PS App. I don't do ANYTHING on the main system anymore. Like, I dunno why they did it, but the change from the UI of the PS4 to this one is just blargh. It's not good. The app you can navigate far quicker than the PS5's integrated store (I mean that's what it feels like; the PS4 you could customize to your tastes, this is just them needing to be able to deliver product to you).

. . .and yeah, the HDR on FORSPOKEN is shockingly bad. There's gotta be a bug. And Frey's voice work is good, it is just constant.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Forspoken went from a game I had zero interest in to an absolute must play. This combat system has incredible depth.

Also the fire magic just gets me.

• Options
    Ohh I need to give it a shot.

• Options
    I can't wait for the full game now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KHVNAkJl7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXWNJZ17og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YtRJ-hJiI

At first it was a bit of chaos just working out what was happening, but by the third video where I utterly demolished the demo "boss" (I hesitate to call it that as it seems just a thing you can encounter just wandering around, like the giant deer) I had complete control over the chaos. There is a lot of options for upgrading the character, some fashion souls involving the cloak and so forth too. I am really into this game and am definitely buying it day 1.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I can't wait for the full game now.

At first it was a bit of chaos just working out what was happening, but by the third video where I utterly demolished the demo "boss" (I hesitate to call it that as it seems just a thing you can encounter just wandering around, like the giant deer) I had complete control over the chaos. There is a lot of options for upgrading the character, some fashion souls involving the cloak and so forth too. I am really into this game and am definitely buying it day 1.

Glad to see someone else was enjoying it as much as I was. The combat felt SO good to me once I got the hang of it. This was already super high on my list for things I was looking forward to but it's nice that the demo didn't leave me disappointed.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm so happy to see the demo getting positive buzz.

I've been excited for the game for awhile and have seen many instances now of people who *weren't* interested actually really enjoying the demo.

Does the demo say if it unlocks anything in the main game? Not planning on playing it but ill download it if it gets me something!

• Options
    It does not.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Forspoken looks fun, I will check out the demo throw it on my backlog behind “finish Returnal” and “actually play any other games” why is adulthood such a pile of busyness whyyyyyy

In other news, I don’t think I brought this up in the previous thread: to my genuine shock, PlayStation Direct emailed me last week to let me know my spot in the PSVR2 pre-order queue was ready! I have now converted a nontrivial sum of US Dollars into the promise that a Call of the Mountain bundle and controller charge dock will arrive at my home on release week. Best Gaming Dad 2022/2023 title: maintained.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Forspoken demo was a good time and very generous, there's a main path that is relatively short but TONS of side stuff. Mage shotgun is quite fun but goodness the amount of options is really something. I do like that it encourages you to use different stuff but doesn't FORCE you to; if it's just a random enemy that;s resistant to scatter then I can power through it if I don't feel like switching. What I really like is it's an icons-on-the-map game where you don't need to constantly check the map; the big view and draw distance means if there's something that looks like it might be interesting, it almost always is something to do, so I just go. Feels good.

I def hope they implement an option to turn down the banter, or ideally an on/off toggle; that became increasingly annoying the longer I played. Repeats too much, isn't interesting, occasionally mildly funny but more often it's not. Oh wow, the main character likes to say fuck, how edgy and hip you are. I think respawn is a *little* too high for my personal taste but at the same time it looks like optional grinding may be useful, plus there are skill specific challenges so I guess it's fine.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of pressing triangle to open a chest and pressing triangle again to collect what's inside

I liked the exploding spear move, and the kick, and the one that just summoned flame dudes to fight for you

My favourite thing about the demo was the fact that it was available - is this going to be a new thing moving forward?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I def hope they implement an option to turn down the banter, or ideally an on/off toggle; that became increasingly annoying the longer I played. Repeats too much, isn't interesting, occasionally mildly funny but more often it's not. Oh wow, the main character likes to say fuck, how edgy and hip you are.

There is an option for that. Cuff Chat Frequency is what you’re looking for, under Cuff settings.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So Sifu got a Replay Editor feature yesterday. So I loaded it up for the first time in months and gave it a whirl. It's a really neat tool.
    https://youtu.be/7jv3oKRnAU8

One of my few unshakable beliefs when it comes to games is "single player action games should have in-engine replays that you can edit", and this only strengthens my belief.

I've been super tempted to get it on PS5, but the PC version lets you mod in different characters and that's too tempting to ignore. I wanna play as Sakura or whomever else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ymsrHngDng

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    PlayStation Direct just sent me an email stating that they have PS5s in stock (“just” as in ~35 minutes before this post). I already have one but I know many folks in here don’t, to which I say:
    Go go go go go go! Beat those reprehensible scalpers! Get you one!

Godspeed, forum friends.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Demo for FORSPOKEN up on the store. If you play it turn off HDR and the chattiness of the MC. Once you do that, there is a surprisingly kinetic action RPG in the vein of FFXV. . .except with more combat depth.

. . .the UI is going to turn a lot of people off though.
    Yup.
    I was actually looking forward to this, but a combination of tiny text size I can't find any way to increase (only subtitles, which doesn't seem to affect anything else), and excitingly skewed text (which is also too small) on the menus meant that I just couldn't bring myself to play beyond the first proper fight on the bridge. There may be a good combat system in there, but I was getting a headache before I got to it.
    And this is one day after I had an eye test and was told my vision was excellent.

Also, from the brief time I spent trying to play it, it feels like it wants me to use the shoulder buttons, both sticks and the circle button in a fight? I can't evade with circle and aim with the right stick and attack with the right shoulder buttons at the same time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    At first that seems difficult but after a while you start to realize that a tremendous amount of it is automated and will work just logically if you just start to trust in it. Additionally your defensive options can be used offensively while doing so, your ranged attacks become melee attacks up close and so forth. There is a lot of depth but one fundamental thing is that if you want to, you can just plow the circle button down and just parkour the hell over nearly anything. Also while parkouring you can use your defensive/offensive spells uniquely in some cases too.

Just tremendous depth once you start properly fiddling with it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The combat might be easier to get into by playing normally (it feels like they dump you in with quite a few toys already unlocked, I got the impression Frey has already killed one boss and stolen their soul or whatever), but the text is a deal-breaker for me I'm afraid. If they add a larger text size I may go back to it, but this is genuinely the least readable UI text I've seen in any game I've ever played.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited December 2022

nmqtezvp2efl.png

Switch actually had my game with the most playtime this year with XBC3. Which was like 200 hours or something haha.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    130 goddamn hours on Assassin's Creed Goddamn Valhalla. My fault for being an Anglophile and thinking the story would ever go anywhere.

127 hours on Mass Effect Legendary Edition - wow, was it that much? Felt much less but then again I was having a great time.

Good on Sony for doing these wrapups, but a lot of it felt like an ad. It noted I tend to play a lot of action-adventure games, then served me a bunch of stats on the new God of War, which I don't even own yet. And then an entire section on PlayStation Plus, which I don't even subscribe to.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    fyiupsg5vwwm.png

• Options
    t17ap9alt9mz.jpg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    5dud6pv3szn7.jpg

Yup, that checks out. My PS4 was basically a Horizon Forbidden West machine when it wasn't a dedicated Apex Legends machine.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My Ps4 was ignored this year to the point where it refused to even give me my highlights (could just be a bug, though). The funny part is I decided to give my Xbox a break and dig into some Ps4 backlog for a while just this week. Got back into Uncharted Lost Legacy and will definitely finish it this time. Might do Neo TWEWY or 13 Sentinels after.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    r8f6mhdfo5xp.jpg

If I hadn't reloaded my saves to play through the various endings in Cyberpunk, my top game would have been Horizon: Forbidden West. Ragnarök managed to make the top 5 even though I haven't finished yet.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    r8f6mhdfo5xp.jpg

If I hadn't reloaded my saves to play through the various endings in Cyberpunk, my top game would have been Horizon: Forbidden West. Ragnarök managed to make the top 5 even though I haven't finished yet.

I cleared those endings last weekend. Which one did you end up liking the best (in spoilers)?
    I kind of love V takes on Arasaka solo with Johnny as hypeman as #1 followed up by Johnny and Rogue vs Arasaka Part 2.

• Options
    I also don't believe the 25 games played part on mine.

I dont usually get 20 new games per year total. So 25 on a single platform seems pretty suspect to me.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Cyperpunk 2077 spoilers:
    I mainly like the Panam ending. It's kinda of the closest you can get to a happy ending, with V spending what time she has left with Judy and Panam.

Dirty on
  • Options
    I also don't believe the 25 games played part on mine.

I dont usually get 20 new games per year total. So 25 on a single platform seems pretty suspect to me.

I think it just counts all the games you played, even if they were old games that you played before on previous years.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Cyperpunk 2077 spoilers:
    I mainly like the Panam ending. It's kinda of the closest you can get to a happy ending, with V spending what time she has left with Judy and Panam.

Cyberpunk ending stuff
    I agree, but kind of felt a lot of the "bad" endings were more fitting and had some satisfying dramatics going on. I also wasn't aware Judy would tag along in the Panam branch, I assume that happens with a female V romancing her? In my games, she always moved out of the city, except for the "side with Arasaka" branch, which I had to accomplish from a different save in which I made Judy hate me and stop talking to me. If you want a DOWNER ending, both signing yourself over to Mikoshi and deciding to end it all are ROUGH (but strong dramatically).

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    41qd3ckx4df8.png

Seems about right

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]