As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] New Slim version announced.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Alright wrapped up Forspoken.

I'll give it the old 3/5.

But honestly the combat is easily a 4/5 and is good enough that with just one or two improvements I'd up it the 4/5. The combos and the different ways you can mix and match spells and the mobility are all just fantastic and unique.

Like of just the presentation issues weren't there id say the gameplay is enough to warrant a 4/5.

Now back to Fire Emblem!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm sure they'll bring the PS5 Collection back in some shape or form, but there's no way they were going to keep paying fees on games that they don't own. Two and a half years is a pretty darn good deal to get a bunch of "free" games that play and look good on the new system.

They definitely are gonna remix something though now that pretty much all their major IPS (SM, TLOU, GOW, R&C, UC) and others have all been "modernized" for the new console and can be used as selling points.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think on certain sections of the Internet there are people who complain that it's a "woke, cash grab" and those people are very wrong.

...do I want to know why it's "woke?" Is there, like, a non-male, non-white character, or someone briefly mentions they're in a same-sex relationship?

They changed one character (who dies in the first part of the game anyway) to be a black woman. And at one point one of the officers (via an audio log) mentions his boyfriend. And apparently they made Nicole (Isaac's wife) less sexy and that's bad? She looks more like an actual nurse now.

I don't know. Those people have brain rot.

So there is a reason for Nicole and Isaac looking the way they do, they've motion captured the original actress Tankya Clarke and for Isaac, Gunner Wright. This is why both Nicole and Isaac look much older in Dead Space Remake, because their respective voice actors have aged a little bit since the original game (and in Wright's case, since Dead Space 2). I don't expect knobs on the internet to understand something that simple of course.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I liked them looking older, you don’t normally see that with like main characters and love interests, and given that they’re supposedly experienced experts in their fields it just felt more realistic and grounded

• Options
    Yeah and that's basically what Nicoles voice actress looks like now.

Who would have thought that women are allowed to age?!?!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The original Dead Space was also one continuous camera angle.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The original Dead Space was also one continuous camera angle.

Nah, I changed it all the time with the right stick. Maybe your controller was broken.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The original Dead Space was also one continuous camera shot.
    Edited for pedantic accuracy. Viskod's right though. I thought the devs going out of their way to mention that and the fact that the Ishimura was one continuous area felt a bit weird. Aside from the chapter breaks that were obviously a cover for loading, that's what DS1 was. And DS2 got rid of the chapter breaks. This wasn't a bold new achievement!
    The remake still rocks, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I could have sworn there was a cutscene or two but I also have a form of brain rot that makes me forget shit.

• Options
    You lose control a few times (like being blown off your feet, same as in the remake), but I'm pretty sure the only cutscene besides end-of-chapter-fade-to-black in the original is the ending jumpscare.
    Chapter 6 spoiler:
    I think the remake has more lose control moments so far, but so far that's down to Mercer freezing me with Stasis and being terrifying. I don't like other people having control over time, that's supposed to be my thing.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Well holy shit, it may have finally happened.

In case anyone else here is in the same boat, Canadian Amazon has Digital and Disc GoW Ragnarok bundles in stock right now. Basically the cost of the console and game and full price (I may just sell off the digital code, as I haven't even played the previous title for more than an hour or two), but it's for the price I'd expect to pay, from a reputable retailer.

The cynical side of me will believe it when it actually delivers (allegedly mid next week) and isn't a refurbished unit or some other Amazon shenanigans, but... damn, my multi-year tour of duty whining about availability might finally be over (to the great relief of the thread, I'm sure).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Is there a Canadian version of the psdirect site? Because they are available in the US and EU there like constantly.

There is not, and I have no idea why that's the case.

I actually have Canadian coworkers now who explained that this is because Sony explicitly chose to use big-box retail as a distribution channel in Canada. It came up in a conversation about why I was waiting for a lottery for a chance to get in a queue for the opportunity to attempt to preorder a PSVR2 bundle when they just had to click “pre-order” on the Canadian Best Buy website (and then hope against hope that their preorder actually materialized on the appointed day despite having been placed with …Best Buy).

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's even weirder, because I've been visiting the bestbuy site to check availability for years now and I don't recall ever seeing a pre-order option. Other than recent bundle availability, it's always Out of Stock, and inquiring in stores usually just got me "sorry, none in stock, try again on X day".

Sometimes (for extra frustration) after walking past a pair of dudes standing by a small stack of a half dozen outside the store.

It would've been much more tolerable if they had used some kind of pre-order queue where I could've just put in my name and watched it tick down over time (presumably with a deposit and some reasonable measures to combat bots and scalpers from flooding the system) as opposed to what we've had.

Based on what people have said with the PSDirect option, it seems to have gone smoother for some, and I can't see how it'd be much worse than what we got instead.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mileage may vary depending on town, but I've frequently seen wild PS5's in Walmart and Best Buy in Canada.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    They did just make a big announcement about availability and apparently Amazon was stocked and staying stocked with normal PS5 sales for like.. the first time since launch so hey, maybe we are finally actually turning that corner?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    klemming wrote: »
    Edited for pedantic accuracy. Viskod's right though. I thought the devs going out of their way to mention that and the fact that the Ishimura was one continuous area felt a bit weird. Aside from the chapter breaks that were obviously a cover for loading, that's what DS1 was. And DS2 got rid of the chapter breaks. This wasn't a bold new achievement!

You can't go back to a previous section of the ship at any time on a whim in OG Dead Space, which is what they're referring to with 'one continuous space'

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    klemming wrote: »

You can't go back to a previous section of the ship at any time on a whim in OG Dead Space, which is what they're referring to with 'one continuous space'

It also feels a lot better and more interconnected in the remake as well. Like you access engineering through
    going into the flight deck, going outside the ship and down a personnel/cargo lift down into engineering. Really nice touch this.

Also reminding myself, it's very clear that the tram station stuff in Dead Space is very clearly a loading screen and that the game is very close to, but not quite what I was thinking of in being "one continuous shot".

Aegeri on
  • Options
    All it was lacking was 568,433 different instances of slowing squeezing through a space to hide loading times.

• Options
    All it was lacking was 568,433 different instances of slowing squeezing through a space to hide loading times.

I fucking hate this so much. I honestly do. It's my primary reason for hating FF7R.

• Options

I can't wait until more games are just straight up PS5 only, so we don't have that effect in GoW Ragnarok. I loved going through many areas the first time, but trying to do any collectible hunting with the constant squeezing through small places....

It's enough to drive a man mad.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    As someone playing through Ragnarok right now it doesn't really bother me. It's better then an actual load screen since almost every time I can remember there is actual dialogue either right before, during, or after. Of course it would be nice to just have no loading screens like the PS5 can probably handle.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My lump under my nuts has shrunk down. I’m going to give it the weekend to go away.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    My lump under my nuts has shrunk down. I’m going to give it the weekend to go away.

I think this is the wrong thread, but I have no idea where GoW Ragnarok goes story-wise so maybe this is actually a big spoiler

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wew, pretty much done with Division 2. Just gotta find a homie online to cheese a couple multiplayer trophies with (gotta kill a rogue agent in all 3 dark zones, gotta cut the rope during a helicopter extraction in an invaded dark zone, gotta get a group photo with a party with 4 people in it) and then find a D50 somehow. After that I'll probably move on to Stray.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    As someone playing through Ragnarok right now it doesn't really bother me. It's better then an actual load screen since almost every time I can remember there is actual dialogue either right before, during, or after. Of course it would be nice to just have no loading screens like the PS5 can probably handle.

Its okay the first time.

Let me know how you feel about it your fourth or fifth time through during the end of game collectible hunt for trophies/end game content.

• Options
    Wew, pretty much done with Division 2. Just gotta find a homie online to cheese a couple multiplayer trophies with (gotta kill a rogue agent in all 3 dark zones, gotta cut the rope during a helicopter extraction in an invaded dark zone, gotta get a group photo with a party with 4 people in it) and then find a D50 somehow. After that I'll probably move on to Stray.

Are you on vacation or something? Hahaha. You've been pumping out platinums lately.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Almost caught up on Destiny 2 seasonal stuff, I should have a couple of weeks to play other games before the expansion hits! Now I need to decide if I'm going to start Ragnarok or Forbidden West.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I think this is the wrong thread, but I have no idea where GoW Ragnarok goes story-wise so maybe this is actually a big spoiler

It's the literal translation of Atraeus

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Are you on vacation or something? Hahaha. You've been pumping out platinums lately.

Nah, just been on a PS5 gaming stint. Also getting some platinums encouraged me to get some more platinums. And some of those games were pretty short, tbh. Like 100%ing Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was like, 15 hours or something?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Aegeri wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Its okay the first time.

Let me know how you feel about it your fourth or fifth time through during the end of game collectible hunt for trophies/end game content.

You’ve been banished from Vanaheim?

Oh no! Anyway…

Viskod on
  • Options
    The more I play Dead Space the more I love it. My one annoyance is that we need the ability to fly up and down easier than moving the camera and tilting in that direction. Would be nice to be able to go up and down while looking forward.

• Options
    Finished off Division 2, managed to find a European dude also looking to bang out those multiplayer trophies, so we help each other out. Started up PowerWash Simulator next, very nice podcast game. Gotta say this is definitely a game where the trophies kept me with it so far. Like, I enjoy it and will continue to enjoy it, but I can definitely see myself checking it out, enjoying it, and then falling off if I didn't have some sort of end goal with the game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Finished off Division 2, managed to find a European dude also looking to bang out those multiplayer trophies, so we help each other out. Started up PowerWash Simulator next, very nice podcast game. Gotta say this is definitely a game where the trophies kept me with it so far. Like, I enjoy it and will continue to enjoy it, but I can definitely see myself checking it out, enjoying it, and then falling off if I didn't have some sort of end goal with the game.

It triggers my OCD so it made me feel real good. That's what kept me going.

• Options
    The more I play Dead Space the more I love it. My one annoyance is that we need the ability to fly up and down easier than moving the camera and tilting in that direction. Would be nice to be able to go up and down while looking forward.

It's been really good. It's exactly what I didn't know I really wanted. I'm doing the NG+ run through right now and getting the collectibles for the secret ending (marker fragments). Can't wait to see what it might be.

I will say that the flamethrower got a massive glow up in this game. From the Wall of Fire just disabling enemies and making them do nothing except wiggle, to the fact the base damage seems to have been greatly improved. Meanwhile the Pulse Rifle is easily the worst weapon in the game. For some odd reason, despite it being more ammunition hungry than literally every other gun I never get ammo for it outside of the places that have tons of set ammo for it (Valor for example). So even while fully upgraded, I never had bullets for the thing and then I got fed up and swapped it for the Force Gun. The Force Gun remains incredible and seems to have had a similar glow up on the gravity wells. It's also another ammunition positive gun, generally killing things within 3 shots so that any ammo dropped gives you a net gain from killing things.

Going to try a Plasma Cutter only Impossible Run next. Shouldn't actually be terribly difficult as long as I don't derp at the damn centrifuge again.

• Options
    Yeah the Pulse Rifle went into my bank as soon as I got 4 weapons.

• Options
    It would be good of ammunition was 50 and not 25. As it is 25 is not enough and it's hard to maintain ammo positivity with it compared with other guns.

I guess it makes sense the one actual military style weapon is the worst for fighting necromorphs.

• Options
    Okay, now I want to do a Pulse Rifle only run.
    (I did a Flamethrower Only run on the original game (with exceptions for vacuum), because I hate myself. It was actually way easier than I expected)
    Self-imposed challenge accepted (unless things delay me until RE4 comes out, then self-imposed challenge delayed).

• Options
    The flamer in Remake might be one of the best weapons. I was amazed.

• Options
    I'm mostly doing Ripper, Flamer, and then some Cutter and the laser one (forget the name) for the bigger things.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Yeah it was the wrong thread…but you know what it’s hilarious so I’ll leave it.

This discussion has been closed.