As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

London 2012: Attack of the ‘80s

stiliststilist Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
or, brand design gone weird.

In preparation for the 2012 Olympics, the event’s logo was recently unveiled, and a promotional video released.

Reaction to the branding has been... mixed. Around the Internet, there have been a lot of negative comments. Most involve either the appearance (described by some as ‘Lisa Simpson giving head’), or the cost: £400,000. It also seems that the BBC was allowing user submissions of alternatives (one of which, a goatse variant, was removed). There has been at least one positive comment about it, which seems to largely praise the campaign’s uniqueness.

In the spirit of our wonderful online democracy: what are your opinions? Is it over-priced? Is it unique, or ugly? Should they have maybe looked at alternatives?

For my part, I’ll agree that this is unique—at least for the Olympic environment. The graphic work seems garish, and the logo is just an abstract symbol with no worth (although it could be argued this is good, because the only possible value is the one assigned by the branding team). Still, the other aspects seem to focus largely on technology and youth, which are certainly commendable. I can’t say I’m fond of it, but I guess I’ve got five years to get used to it.

I poop things on my site and twitter
stilist on

• The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously though the logo looks like it was made in MS Paint by a bored high school student in her Intro to Drafting class.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    ‘Lisa Simpson giving head’

Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That logo definitely looks retarded.

Al_wat on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That’s the best or worst part, depending.

stilist on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I can't see it :|

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's a shitty 'abstract' writing of 2012 with london and the rings crammed in it. Given that this is London we're talking about and not, you know, like Atlanta, I'm fairly disappointed in what they wound up with.

moniker on
    edited June 2007
    Richy wrote: »

The "five rings" is her head. She's facing left, and the rhombus in the middle is her hand. The piece that says "London" is the torso at the top, and the part sticking out is the dude's arm, holding her head. Or else it could be a giant wang-a-lang.

I described all that from memory.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Goddammit

Plutonium on
    edited June 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    Somebody made an rather NSFW animated version that makes it quite obvious, but I’m definitely not going to link it.

t Moniker: I’ll be honest, I hadn’t realised that’s what it was. Shame on me.

stilist on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Of course it's over priced for a relatively simple design.

However, I think it was a bold and daring move. By all fashion sense right now, it's a pretty hip design. Will it be blasé by 2012 is the question. If it is, London will look ridiculous. However, I love the risk, because if it's still in style in five years (a good possibility) then the design and layout of the games will be spectacular, and London wlll look like the most fashionable and modern place on earth.

I also think that it does a good job portraying the time period of the games. I'm always reminded when I look through the games of the 20's and 30's how much their design captures their era.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    I can imagine something uglier, but then I have a pretty good imagination.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007
    I don't see why anyone would care about the cost. Of course it's expensive; it's for the freakin' Olympics.

The problem is that it looks like crap.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The instant I saw the logo, I thought of a girl giving head.

Lisa Simpson is a nice touch. It's now my favorite Olympics logo ever.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also, the previous games had been so cloyingly sweet and optimistic on the whole "YAY YAY UNITE THE WORLD" front that it was disgusting.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited June 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    Also, the previous games had been so cloyingly sweet and optimistic on the whole "YAY YAY UNITE THE WORLD" front that it was disgusting.
    Hey man, it clearly worked.

stilist on
    edited June 2007

However, I think it was a bold and daring move. By all fashion sense right now, it's a pretty hip design.

No, it isn't.
    Will it be blasé by 2012 is the question. If it is, London will look ridiculous.

It looks blasé and horrible right now and London is getting ridiculed because of that.

moniker on
    edited June 2007
    I also think that it does a good job portraying the time period of the games. I'm always reminded when I look through the games of the 20's and 30's how much their design captures their era.

Are you saying our time period is ugly, garish, and reminiscent of cartoon fellatio?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007
    Also, I just noticed this bit in the Wiki article:
    According to Epilepsy Action, a UK epilepsy charity, it has been discovered that the animated version of the jagged logo has triggered epileptic fits. Consequently, it will never be able to be shown on British television.

stilist on
    edited June 2007
    Wiki wrote:
    According to Epilepsy Action, a UK epilepsy charity, it has been discovered that the animated version of the jagged logo has triggered epileptic fits. Consequently, it will never be able to be shown on British television.

Awesome.

EDIT: Damn!

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007
    moniker wrote: »

However, I think it was a bold and daring move. By all fashion sense right now, it's a pretty hip design.

No, it isn't.

It looks kind of like an album cover or design from a photographer in SoHo's place that I just went to. It seems to me to be on the more cutting edge of fashion. I could direct you to Besty Johnsons's new line or some Screaming Mimi fashion sales, if you want.

And, sports and rock are coming closer and closer.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

No, it isn't.

It looks kind of like an album cover or design from a photographer in SoHo's place that I just went to. It seems to me to be on the more cutting edge of fashion. I could direct you to Besty Johnsons's new line or some Screaming Mimi fashion sales, if you want.

Poldy it's hideous. The colors are horrible and the design looks juvenile. It's not cutting any edges, any time soon.

edited June 2007
    Wiki wrote:
    Awesome.

EDIT: Damn!
    When I first found out about this whole thing yesterday, my first comment after watching the video was ‘God help any epileptics’. It’s kinda painful to watch even as a non-epileptic.

stilist on
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

No, it isn't.

Poldy it's hideous. The colors are horrible and the design looks juvenile. It's not cutting any edges, any time soon.

I dunno. I'd be careful with it.

It's pretty jagged.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's been a depressingly predictable reaction so far. "It looks like a five-year-old did it!"; "They paid £400,000 for that?!"; "I could make a better logo in half an hour".

The last of these claims is clearly wrong, as shown by these pages of logos designed by MOTPs at the BBC's website, those of which aren't jokes are almost all incredibly bad.

Anyway, I'm no particular fan of the logo (though I think it's beginning to grow on me) but I'm thoroughly sick of the whining about it.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
    edited June 2007

No, it isn't.

It is a jagged, block letter writing of the year the olympics will be held. If a group had their band name or album title printed out to fill the whole damn cover I would hope it would be a better composition than that. It's not hip, it's not 'cutting edge' even though it's pointed, it's a sophomoric and glaringly obtuse way to just grab eyeballs with a loud shout rather than simple elegance and grace. London has enough history and symbolism tied to the city and the country that coming up with something non-hideous would not have been difficult. I don't know what I would have done, but that wouldn't have even entered my mind let alone survived any actual thought about using it.

moniker on
    edited June 2007
    the design looks juvenile

de Kooning says hi.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Logo designer: "Well, this isn't just any Olympics. It's the Olympics... TO THE MAX! EXTREME! MONDULATIOUS! BALLS! YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

Seriously, what the hell.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited June 2007
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »
    The last of these claims is clearly wrong, as shown by these pages of logos designed by MOTPs at the BBC's website, those of which aren't jokes are almost all incredibly bad.

I think several of the logos in those galleries are leaps and bounds ahead of the official one, even if you limit it to just the serious ones.

This one is my favorite, though:

_43010117_andrew_robinson416.jpg
    The artist wrote:
    The five colours represent Olympic tradition. Also a bundle of taxpayers money going down the drain.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007
    It would have seemed on the cutting edge of fashion if it was made in the 80's. You're a self-defined hipster, Podly. You're supposed to have a good grasp on what's cool and what's retarded.

ElJeffe on
    edited June 2007

I think several of the logos in those galleries are leaps and bounds ahead of the official one, even if you limit it to just the serious ones.

Which ones exactly? The one that has '2012' written as the first four letters of 'London' could me made passable with a bit of tweaking, the rest don't seem even remotely suitable to me.

Paul_IQ164 on
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It would have seemed on the cutting edge of fashion if it was made in the 80's. You're a self-defined hipster, Podly. You're supposed to have a good grasp on what's cool and what's retarded.

Listen.

All I'm saying is that No-Wave was all the rage about a year ago, and it's still in - esp if you combine it with pre-Afrikaa Bambatu hip-hop.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited June 2007
    the design looks juvenile

de Kooning says hi.
    The 5th grade says de Kooning still needs to retake that test.

edited June 2007
    Well, the vector-style artwork has been coming back for several years now. The main difference is the scale of this and the unashamed rip-off of the ‘80s colour scheme.

stilist on
    edited June 2007
    Seriously -- '80s hipness is quickly coming back around to early '90s parachute pants and high-top fades, mark my damn words.

Dust off that Color Me Badd record, ElJeffe, because I say in about 5 years you will be the envy of all the cool kids for that one.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think it works.
    It's pointless, garish, overdesigned, and pretentious; just like the Olympics themselves.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited June 2007
    Looking through those alternates, most of them are merely bland. This one is actively horrible. I'd prefer bland over horrible.

ElJeffe on
    edited June 2007
    Dust off that Color Me Badd record, ElJeffe, because I say in about 5 years you will be the envy of all the cool kids for that one.

I don't think I still have my Color M... I mean, I would never have owned such a horrible album.

>.>

ElJeffe on
    edited June 2007

Which ones exactly? The one that has '2012' written as the first four letters of 'London' could me made passable with a bit of tweaking, the rest don't seem even remotely suitable to me.

In my opinion, any of these four would be much better.

_43006855_james_wren_416.jpg

_43009415_gordon_bobertson416.jpg

_43010067_richard_416.jpg

_43009975_sam_boulton_416-1.jpg

That's not to say they're great, just that the current one sucks really bad.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007
    Looking through those alternates, most of them are merely bland. This one is actively horrible. I'd prefer bland over horrible.

Well, if you want a bland logo, there's the one that was used for the campaign to win the games for London:

London%202012%20logo.jpg

But I think I'm happier with this one.

Edit: as for the four in the post above mine, the top one might be alright if the L was fixed to match the rest of the letters, though I'm not sure what the IOC would have to say about them mangling the Olympic rings like that. The second one is cluttered and awful, the third as I've mentioned is pretty good really, the fourth makes little sense. The Olympics as a train station?

Paul_IQ164 on
    edited June 2007
    Those all suck global dick.

They're heinous.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1