As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For 700 million I'll play the [Lottery]

2»

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    huh, must've missed that. well with those kinda odds the $2 makes more sense I suppose, though it'll also be much easier to excuse buying more of them

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well I didn't win and personally I think this is wrong

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Just got back from an overnight drive from Maine, I bought a ticket while I was there…did they announce if there was a winner?

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Regarding the odds, I believe there are also some confounding effects with the higher amount of buy-in caused by higher jackpots. Like, the expected value of a single ticket can actually rise above its purchase price with a sufficiently inflated jackpot from the perspective of a single buyer, but since multiple winners will split the pool and an increased pool of buyers increases the odds of a divided jackpot, the expected value of the ticket can (and generally does) drop back below its purchase price.

Remember, with the notable exception of a certain ex-president, the only way to make money on a game of chance is to be the one running it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't buy a ticket.

So I'm either 2 dollars up, or 1.35 billion dollars down.