Options

[Dead Space] Remake is out now, Good Actually.

klemmingklemming Registered User regular
edited February 2023 in Games and Technology
I figured we deserved a new thread, rather than resurrecting an old one.

The History:
Dead Space is a science fiction/horror media franchise, originally created by EA Redwood Shores/Visceral Games for EA.
It started (approriately enough) with Dead Space, releasing in 2008 on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
e6boosvag9jl.jpg
It was good!

This was followed in 2009 by Dead Space Extraction for the Wii (an HD version was released on PS3 in 2011), changing from a third-person survival horror to a first-person on-rails shooter, and following a separate group of survivors in the days prior to the events of Dead Space.
931uyi1qztpd.jpg
It was also good!

Dead Space 2 came out in 2011.
lmqh0wmwysft.jpg
It was better!
Dead Space Severed was a DLC expansion (only for the console versions because I don't know), following the survivors of Extraction during the events of 2.

Dead Space 3 came out in 2013. Adding a number of new features, like co-op, customizable weapons, and (by popularpublisher demand) microtransactions!
indc4vua56kc.jpg
It was... eh.
Dead Space Awakened was a DLC expansion (this time remembering that PCs existed too, which was nice) that ended with a massive cliffhanger.

Then the series stopped, Visceral were dismembered by EA for not selling enough of a game that deviated too far from the proven formula for many fans tastes, and everyone thought that the franchise was dead for good.

Then EA announced Dead Space Remake (just called Dead Space, with the original game now being referred to as Dead Space (2008)), to be developed by Motive, developers of Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Squadrons. After Dead Space 3 reactions were mixed, with many people predicting microtransactions, unnessecary online modes, and so on.
wrb9btram4fy.png
Then it came out, and was really really good and not any of the things that we cynics were expecting.
General consensus is that this is the game Visceral would have made if they were still here and starting the franchise now.

The Gameplay Premise:
0ewx2of7jxgr.png
The picture really sums it up.
See those horrible monsters? Shoot these bits:
p49gx7abuv6v.png
pvpvb3crre8r.png

Don't shoot these bits:
6mzw2pvedk8e.png

Especially don't shoot this bit:
lvynxoxm4vlg.png

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
klemming on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Finished it a few days ago. It's good, folks. If you need another 3rd person survival horror game then you can't do wrong with this one.

• Options
    I'm working my way (very slowly and carefully) through Impossible mode.
    Trying to decide if I want to cheese it and use the infinite credits glitch.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I really appreciated the changes some subtle, some not so subtle to the story and gameplay. This is a true remake in that they did literally remix the original game while keeping the central premise. I really appreciated the major change from the original. End game spoiler natch.

That Cross was your fake nicole and to her you were jacob. Both driven crazy by the marker. It "fixes" the issue the first game had of Nicole being able to physically do things Issac couldn't do. There's actually a recording on playthrough 2 when not nicole helps you the first time that shows Cross knew you were crazy but helped you all the same at the time.

I really want to see what this team could do with dead space 2 with their penchant for making good substantial changes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    This game is quite good at giving me just enough health to be able to plausibly make it through each encounter, but rarely enough to actually top of my life bar.

As a result I can't play it more than like 90 minutes at a time without needing to take a break and unclench my bumhole.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This game is quite good at giving me just enough health to be able to plausibly make it through each encounter, but rarely enough to actually top of my life bar.

As a result I can't play it more than like 90 minutes at a time without needing to take a break and unclench my bumhole.

The weapon rebalancing really did change the difficulty in a more challenging way. Like the plasma cutter is no longer your lord and savior and the other tools actually have a good use.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's still my lord and savior, but I have room in my heart for two.
    Specifically, the Force Gun is a real life-saver, especially on Impossible. Something getting too close? BAM, now it's not. And the alt-fire can keep anything from coming at you (though it can give them cover to shoot shit at you without being able to see).

• Options
    The force gun was like "I think enemies have too much skin I'm going to blow it off them."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This was not a game I realize I wanted and needed so much. They actually did a REmake with this and actually improved the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I was in a perfect place where it's like, "Oh yeah, I played that game two decades ago, I recall it being pretty fun, ooh, and it looks pretty!"

And then I picked it up and remembered, "Oh yeah, that's right, it's one of the best survival horror games ever made."

Also, fuck those little tentacle babies, just chilling on the ceiling, lobbing slime wads at me.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I was in a perfect place where it's like, "Oh yeah, I played that game two decades ago, I recall it being pretty fun, ooh, and it looks pretty!"

And then I picked it up and remembered, "Oh yeah, that's right, it's one of the best survival horror games ever made."

Also, fuck those little tentacle babies, just chilling on the ceiling, lobbing slime wads at me.

The part in the botanical area where you have to navigate through ruined corridors, dodge getting electrocuted and deal with those fuckers was like "FUCK YOU!!!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nah the hardest part are those fucking monsters that split into like 8 little dudes when they die. I used so much Flamer ammo on those little assholes.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Nah the hardest part are those fucking monsters that split into like 8 little dudes when they die. I used so much Flamer ammo on those little assholes.

Yeah those were in the original, but like only twice, here they are used with other enemies and they are bastards. The flamer does help a lot against them, as does the preggers enemies you can burn the fuckers inside them to death before they give hideous birth.

Really the flame thrower being actually useful and almost shot for shot the best bang for your murder buck was a nice change

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah those were in the original, but like only twice, here they are used with other enemies and they are bastards. The flamer does help a lot against them, as does the preggers enemies you can burn the fuckers inside them to death before they give hideous birth.

Really the flame thrower being actually useful and almost shot for shot the best bang for your murder buck was a nice change

Yeah I definitely didn't utilize the Flame Wall enough.

• Options

The part in the botanical area where you have to navigate through ruined corridors, dodge getting electrocuted and deal with those fuckers was like "FUCK YOU!!!"

Christ, that whole section was like being trapped in a haunted Spirit Halloween. It's like JESUS FINE I'LL BUY THE GODDAMN FOAM TOMBSTONES, JUST STOP SPAWNING UP MY ASS YOU FUCKING KEWPIE DOLL NIGHTMARE.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I really appreciate that IMO the flamer is actually the best weapon in the game. The fire wall is so broken good it's not even funny and it trivializes the two most annoying enemies in the game, preggers and the hand/leg/head corpse monsters. In the original dead space it was probably the games worst weapon easily.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    I'm of the controversial (ie wrong) opinion that the flamethrower in OG Dead Space was actually pretty good, so long as you learned how it worked.
    It didn't stun enemies, and just spraying them with fire wouldn't get you anywhere. But damage over time applied to each limb it hit, so quick spurts directed at the limbs took them down fast, and ended up incredibly ammo-positive.
    Also, nothing else in the game could get through those tentacle grab sections faster. A quick blast of flame and you were free.
    I tried an Impossible flamethrower only run (with an un-upgraded Plasma Cutter only allowed in vacuum sections). I thought it would be really hard, but by the time I had the engines running I was drowning in ammo and medpacks.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    "The flamer was good, but I needed a plasma cutter because it was useless in important sections of the game" in Dead Space vs. "I can solo the entire game with this thing with my eyes closed lololol" in Dead Space Remake.

Like it's much better and the flame wall can be flung miles and it requires zero finesse to be good. I actually wish you could get it earlier in the game that you do - around the time you normally get the pulse rifle (which I think is remakes worst weapon easily).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    "The flamer was good, but I needed a plasma cutter because it was useless in important sections of the game" in Dead Space vs. "I can solo the entire game with this thing with my eyes closed lololol" in Dead Space Remake.

Like it's much better and the flame wall can be flung miles and it requires zero finesse to be good. I actually wish you could get it earlier in the game that you do - around the time you normally get the pulse rifle (which I think is remakes worst weapon easily).

Well you can't solo Remake with it for the same reason I couldn't in the original.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    klemming wrote: »

Well you can't solo Remake with it for the same reason I couldn't in the original.

Actually you 100% could because the flame wall has a considerable range and isn't actually short at all (it fires an actual projectile). You can fire it across rooms and it does an immense load of damage when upgraded to just about everything.

Aegeri on
  • Options

Actually you 100% could because the flame wall has a considerable range and isn't actually short at all (it fires an actual projectile). You can fire it across rooms and it does an immense load of damage when upgraded to just about everything.

You could, but man it'd be annoying in at least one section to have to finish the section without weapon fire.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

You could, but man it'd be annoying in at least one section to have to finish the section without weapon fire.

Yeah I know which part you're thinking of too, but it would still actually be 100% doable.

Only problem is I wish when you made a NG+ you got a much earlier option as to what weapon you started with. Plus sadly for me, my last two trophies are finishing the game on impossible mode and plasma cutter only, which is what I'm going to do for the platinum. I would very much like a super early store in the game to change your weapon so you can do a [insert gun X] only run easily.

• Options
    Well I'm thinking of the part in communications.

Where you have to finish the leviathan, you can just tele his bombs to blow up the last spot, but shooting it is way easier, but you can't do that with the flamer because it doesn't work in no atmo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The remake is good. The intensity director does a good job of keeping you on your toes.

Current load out in Plasma Cutter/Flamethrower/Contact Beam/Ripper.

Not loving the flamethrower to much, wish I went with the Force Gun. The Ripper on the other hand is great. Stuns enemies and takes one blade to kill them. Unless I'm being swarmed by multiple Necros from multiple sides its my go to.

I do wonder how the Remake of 2 will go down. Backtracking was a part of Dead Space 1, so making the Ishimura one big map makes sense. But 2 does not have that, and in fact has a lot of set sequences that could make it hard.

Also with weapons. I feel like every weapon now has a trap secondary function, which was the whole point of the detonator in Dead Space 2.

• Options

Where you have to finish the leviathan, you can just tele his bombs to blow up the last spot, but shooting it is way easier, but you can't do that with the flamer because it doesn't work in no atmo.

You... you can just shoot it?

• Options

not with the flame thrower it doesn't work in the space areas, without oxygen you can't fire it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The flamer IS pretty nice. I typically rock the cutter/ripper/flamer and keep my fourth spot empty so I have more control over the ammo I'm getting.

• Options

not with the flame thrower it doesn't work in the space areas, without oxygen you can't fire it.

No I mean, I didn't even know you could shoot it *at all*.

• Options

No I mean, I didn't even know you could shoot it *at all*.

oh heh yeah once you cracked the armor as it were you can shoot it with your regular weapons to finish it off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That would have made that section FAR easier!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Good remake of one of my favorite games of all time. I'm 90% happy with it, few things they changed, few things they missed or left out that I'm bummed about.

Waiting for my helmet edition to come in the mail eventually, at least they sent the key first.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Apart from the turret sections (which I think I'm the only person who enjoyed those in the original), I can't really think of anything they missed?

I'm still slowly working my way through Impossible (between Hitman Freelancer missions to calm down). I'm still in Medical, but I'm thinking carry the Pulse Rifle just for the alt-fire AoE, replace that with the Flamethrower once I get it, then replace that with the Force Gun (just trading up in the ranks of Get The Hell Away From Me weapons. Flame wall is nice, but not even needing to aim in a panic situation sounds good to me).
    Contact Beam will be held in reserve exclusively for bosses.

• Options
    The complaint I always had about the turret sections is they felt like it took none of your progress in the game into account when playing them. Like the newer versions at least you're still having to play the game and not just do a jarring "now you're in a turret shooting." Feels less twitch reflex and now more takes skill into account.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Force Gun is Force Fun.

My only complaint is ammo never drops for it. Currently running Plasma Cutter, Force Gun and Contact Beam.

• Options
    I remember using the force gun and being absolutely horrified at the skin it just erases from necros.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I remember using the force gun and being absolutely horrified at the skin it just erases from necros.

I learned today it also works on the crews corpses....

Although now that I think about it the (spoiler for weapon upgrade):
    Weighted blades on the PC also act as a means to get breathing room quickly

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just rolled credits on the Dead Space Remake. What a good-ass game. Was 15 years ago. Feels even better now. Tied up some sour notes from the original composition, made it feel like the version that was always meant to be.

Wonder if this team is going to do a Dead Space 2 remake, and hey maybe finally make the Dead Space 3 that should always have been instead of what was actually released during those dark microtransaction times.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Their next game is an Iron Man game, not Dead Space 2.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Wonder if this team is going to do a Dead Space 2 remake, and hey maybe finally make the Dead Space 3 that should always have been instead of what was actually released during those dark microtransaction times.
    For all we dump on the microtransactions that shouldn't have been in there, they at least made them incredibly unnecessary and easy to avoid.
    I saw one streamer play, and he made it all the way through without noticing the option was even there.

klemming on
  • Options
    For all we dump on the microtransactions that shouldn't have been in there, they at least made them incredibly unnecessary and easy to avoid.
    I saw one streamer play, and he made it all the way through without noticing the option was even there.

What microtransactions? You mean Dead Space 3?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Their next game is an Iron Man game, not Dead Space 2.

Iron Man can shit his armor, we want Dead Space 2 Remake!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/