As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Motorsport: Releases October 10th

BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
edited June 2023 in Games and Technology
PA Forza Racing Nights are every Tuesday and Thursday at 9pm EST!

Forza Motorsport
Release Date: October 10th 2023
https://youtu.be/em4gv1Ietko
https://youtu.be/aHgceB5vzhk
https://youtu.be/5qntQRC88Is
https://youtu.be/5qZRgVD_niU

Forza Horizon 5
https://youtu.be/ajFf2RaiZu4
https://youtu.be/Rv7xLt5yNsM
[=PA=] Penny Arcadian Racing
To Join: From either the in game Club tab, through the Xbox App or through the Xbox console Clubs interface, search for the =PA= tag or the club name (make sure it's the FH5 version) and request to join. If you have any trouble, ask in the thread.

Historical Serious Business Cups of Forza's Past!
https://youtu.be/Ofjlu9X0-ik
ggzxs8j.jpg
J2twAN1.jpg
OrOtFko.jpg
http://youtu.be/9JW-a3quTHs
2oerVJU.jpg
kBgtUyf.jpg
kF0m8.jpgJ0qVF.jpg
SvBaB.jpg
EJggy4X.jpg

Historic Videos of Stupidity Excellence Rubbish Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRf3sc6VoOQ
http://youtu.be/v6TmHsY3Fp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKJOKJ_7PKg

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
Bloodsheed on

• Options
    edited February 2023
    2nd Forza Horizon 5 Expansion is Rally Adventure, coming March 29th.
    https://youtu.be/ajFf2RaiZu4

- Co-Driver
    - New Map
    - 10 New Cars
    - Rally and Race mode

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    8 years in that thread, damn.

i'm not so sure about this expansion but maybe the map will be interesting, which is all i really care about at the end of the day.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Bookmarked because I'll be back some day. Honestly I'm chilling out pretty hard waiting for the release of the next Motorsport game. I simply cannot wait to be an absolute trash fire at this game after not playing for like 3 or 4 years at this point?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I'm just happy to have an entire expansion dedicated to not being on the road, the road being the thing I can't stay on anyway.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    omg rally

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Chicken.

(If you take the Scumbug to the top of C (IDK I just hit auto) it's a lot of fun. Also, I love split mode.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    Release date confirmed for October 10th.

https://youtu.be/em4gv1Ietko

• Options
    Given it was the case for Horizon 5, I should be safe to assume it'll have PC-console crossplay, eh?
    The timing on the release date is... Uh ... Weird for me, but it might turn out to be a good thing.

• Options
    Yeah, it'll have crossplay. Works great in FH5 and FM7, so I'd imagine that wouldn't be an issue.

Forza Monthly was yesterday, you can find it here, Motorsport info from ~8min to the hour mark with more near the end:
    https://www.youtube.com/live/ELObmpQolLg?feature=share

The Forza Single Player/Progression Demo from that is here:
    https://youtu.be/0lNR2Kk_f4Y

Some of the big things:
    • Each car has a Car Level, raised through earning XP in that car. Maxes out at 50 per car. Car Level unlocks Upgrade Parts. The parts are per category, so unlocking Cam Shaft will unlock all tiers of cam shaft upgrades for that car. They said most upgrades are unlocked by level 30, which is ~1 hour, 50 is ~2-3. This progression system goes through all modes, single and multiplayer.
    • The Builders Cup: The single player campaign is a lot of little 5-6 race sets, each using the same car throughout, building it as you go. They are set up so more events can be added as time goes on, think how Horizon does their live service stuff. Each event includes free practice and the "Challenge The Grid" system, which allows you to control your grid placement in exchange for higher rewards.
    • Traditional Forza monetization: Tracks free upgrades, expansion packs for cars.
    • Assists (ABS, Traction Control, Transmission, Etc.) used to debuff your car in previous Forzas to "encourage" people to turn them off. That's gone. They now just do what they say. Drive how and with what you want.
    • Likewise, AI has been redone and improved (with much buzzwords). Basically, it no longer cheats. No more pulling away from you at 150% your top speed in the same car.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    > Assists (ABS, Traction Control, Transmission, Etc.) used to debuff your car in previous Forzas to "encourage" people to turn them off. That's gone. They now just do what they say. Drive how and with what you want.

I didn't know that ABS debuffed your car!

> Each car has a Car Level, raised through earning XP in that car. Maxes out at 50 per car. Car Level unlocks Upgrade Parts. The parts are per category, so unlocking Cam Shaft will unlock all tiers of cam shaft upgrades for that car. They said most upgrades are unlocked by level 30, which is ~1 hour, 50 is ~2-3. This progression system goes through all modes, single and multiplayer.

I must be the weirdo since I am all about homogolation or class rules. I am happy to drive a mx-5 cup car for hours, I don't want to unlock different engine components for that car.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Go go gadget necro thread.
    Early access is out and so far I'm really enjoying the changes in car handling and physics for those who play with no assists. The car XP to upgrade parts on the car is annoying, but so far I'm still having fun

We still have a Tuesday/Thursday night race at 9pm ET like in the OP. Come joooiiinnn us.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Guess I'm going to part with some money when I get home.

• Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    > Assists (ABS, Traction Control, Transmission, Etc.) used to debuff your car in previous Forzas to "encourage" people to turn them off. That's gone. They now just do what they say. Drive how and with what you want.

I didn't know that ABS debuffed your car!

> Each car has a Car Level, raised through earning XP in that car. Maxes out at 50 per car. Car Level unlocks Upgrade Parts. The parts are per category, so unlocking Cam Shaft will unlock all tiers of cam shaft upgrades for that car. They said most upgrades are unlocked by level 30, which is ~1 hour, 50 is ~2-3. This progression system goes through all modes, single and multiplayer.

I must be the weirdo since I am all about homogolation or class rules. I am happy to drive a mx-5 cup car for hours, I don't want to unlock different engine components for that car.

See, I'm the weirdo that wants to see what happens when I stuff enough metal into a '65 Mini Cooper to bring it up to top of A or S class, then try to keep it on the twisties.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I think they could stand to rebalance the car xp system a little bit. i think it’s fine but it does feel like the only things that actually matter are good segments and hitting the practice time bonus, and it should probably give you more just for playing the game

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wish I knew how to tune the cars better, because the ones I’m driving in the early series have some pretty annoying understeer that I want to correct for.

Also, how hard would it be to learn manual as a controller-only player?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I wish I knew how to tune the cars better, because the ones I’m driving in the early series have some pretty annoying understeer that I want to correct for.

Really easy, it soon becomes muscle memory.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I may have to start using the back paddles on my elite controller for shifting. Have had them disabled since I got the thing.

Also, hello, I plan to play Forza and am looking forward to some races.

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

https://optn.club/chart is probably a good start; I've not tried this set of rules in specific, but it matches what I've in general messed around with. (Note that I'm not awesome at it myself.)

• Options
    Oh man, just did the opening intro series... so nice to have a new (proper) Forza.

Any transit vans in this one?

• Options
    Drivatars: Still absolute assholes. In the first series, in each race, I was hit at least three times in the starting grid. Racing line? It's the whole track! 3 abreast into a corner? YES! Brakes? NO!

Also I am not sure I like this car level thing. I don't want to drive a Mini in wtfever class it's in. It's not even got enough stats to appear on the graph.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    Drivatars: Still absolute assholes. In the first series, in each race, I was hit at least three times in the starting grid. Racing line? It's the whole track! 3 abreast into a corner? YES! Brakes? NO!

Also I am not sure I like this car level thing. I don't want to drive a Mini in wtfever class it's in. It's not even got enough stats to appear on the graph.

Yeah, I find the jostling and the lack of evasive movement from AI cars is a bit of PITA. Some was my fault for brake checking after some passes, but otherwise, this is something that could be improved.

I'm not bothered by the car leveling so much, but it is certainly a change.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Trying to balance performance vs quality on PC (i7 11700KF, 3080 10gb, 32gb ram, M2 drive, 1440p) and I can get it mostly 60 fps but graphics just look a bit off. Going to install it on my Series X to see how that runs/looks in comparison.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-forza-motorsport-pc-tech-review

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Trying to balance performance vs quality on PC (i7 11700KF, 3080 10gb, 32gb ram, M2 drive, 1440p) and I can get it mostly 60 fps but graphics just look a bit off. Going to install it on my Series X to see how that runs/looks in comparison.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-forza-motorsport-pc-tech-review

I've installed on both my PC (5800x/4070ti) and Series S, and while I haven't booted on the PC yet, on the Series S there is some fuzziness in the car screens. In race it seems fine, though.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Hearing about the car leveling thing has honestly destroyed most of my interest in getting this game. The Forza series is already grindy enough with excessively low payouts for races compared to purchase and upgrade costs for cars. Adding even more grind on top of that by requiring every single car to be leveled to 50 just to unlock all the tuning options for it is just dumb. If I want to dump 1000HP into a Beetle on a whim and mess about for one race before tossing it aside, let me do that. Don't force me to drive the thing at 45mph around a track for 3 hours before I can have my fun.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Hearing about the car leveling thing has honestly destroyed most of my interest in getting this game. The Forza series is already grindy enough with excessively low payouts for races compared to purchase and upgrade costs for cars. Adding even more grind on top of that by requiring every single car to be leveled to 50 just to unlock all the tuning options for it is just dumb. If I want to dump 1000HP into a Beetle on a whim and mess about for one race before tossing it aside, let me do that. Don't force me to drive the thing at 45mph around a track for 3 hours before I can have my fun.

Eh, credits seem fine tbh; the removal of upgrade and tuning costs goes an unexpectedly long way. (And the most expensive car I've seen is like... 500k. Ish. Prices are nowhere near Horizon or older Motorsport titles.) And the leveling is... I'm not huge on it, and yes I would prefer to do exactly what you're describing, but you'll pick up a couple levels/race easily. Just practice laps are generally good for 2-3 levels before a race, and I think I got my Mini to ~8 by doing one F-class Rivals event and then a free play quick race.

I'm still not really a fan, but it's so far a much, much quicker process than I expected. Though that may be helped by F-class being an enjoyable shitshow of classics, all very unhappy about being told to go this fast before a cup of tea.

dporowski on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think the car XP for upgrading is going to vary by your play style. If you really want to tune your car immediately you'll be annoyed because it takes about 25-35 minutes of driving to unlock full race suspension. I have a friend that is a more casual player who doesn't care because he never manually tuned anyway.

To me it seems excessively grindy for someone who has less free time than I did 5-6 years ago. I agree that I love dumping a giant engine and transmission swap for funzies in a dumb car for a short period of time, and that just isn't possible here. There is a way to slowly afk farm car XP if you can move a joystick once every 15 minutes.

I fully expect them to revamp this upgrade/ progress system in the short term because it takes a long ass time to get things like engine swap and transmission swap and not everyone wants to spend 3 hours per car to do that. You level up faster in faster cars because XP is gained by how well you do around parts of a lap. In D or C class cars you just lap a lot slower

I'm more okay with the system when it is a car I like IRL, but not so much when it is a career series that is only cars I feel meh about and you have to complete that series to unlock other series.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    I unfortunately want to do either:
    - weird-ass shitbox
    - weird-ass shitbox with an engine bigger than it is stuffed in
    - top-end endurance/F1 for time

The upgrade system is really only helping me with case 1 there, since the other two are locked behind a pile of either "time" or "series/cars I don't care about"

• Options
    I think most of the top end R class race cars already come with most race parts and you don't have to unlock those parts

• Options
    Im not sure the best way to give this feedback to turn 10. Bad rating on steam with a clear explanation why? Complain on the official forza forums?

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I think most of the top end R class race cars already come with most race parts and you don't have to unlock those parts

Yeah, I expect if I unlock an F1/Indy/LMP it'll be fine as-is, but I think I have to do a bunch of other series first before I can get into those in career mode. (Or just free-play it I guess.)

It's great if you're into say, modern hot hatches, but I'm just not.

edit: ... this could also be their way of enforcing "learn to DRIVE FIRST you jackass", and in fairness, I can't argue with that goal.

dporowski on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think you can buy anything in the game if you have the credits, but you definitely won't hit a series with it in career for a long time. If you have the vip version of the game you start with 500k which should net you 1 or 2 high end cars

Anyways, if you are hesitant I would say hold out until they make a change to how quickly you get XP or which parts are behind which levels.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    So my question is, how does FM8 compare to FM7? I never gave 7 any time, but I did buy it on deep discount a while back.

I loved 6, so whichever gets me closer to that game is probably the one I would prefer.

• Options
    Depends on what part of fm6 you enjoyed the most. They are pretty similar in driving style with fm8 being a bit more detailed in the minutiea of the physics.

Fm7 will be way more similar in the rest of the system like credits.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Been so long since I played an FM game I forgot the goal was to stay ON the track and NOT hit things.

Also, I am much better at drifting (unintentionally) in FM than Horizon.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    New record: Hit 6 times in the starting grid. First turn, pushed off track into a spin by a train of three cars. I don't even want to talk about the horror show that was a rolling start.

Is there a "don't drive angry" setting? Because JFC the AI does not give a fuck.

Edit: "The S-curves are a great place to gain time and overtake" lady there is a trio of cars ahead of me, three abreast, locked to each other at the wheels and throwing sparks everywhere, I am not passing this.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Man, on the Lime WHATEVERITSNAMEIS track I managed to get perfect 10s on every turn sequence on one lap, and that was incredibly satisfying (in a Veloster).

• Options
  • Options
    Thought this was an interesting way to kinda play with upgrading in multiplayer, particularly if you havea. stable race group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Szh5wGfbw4

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I had honestly forgotten about it since it's been so long but upon booting up motorsport today, it just scratches an itch that horizon and Gran Turismo can't somehow, even with all the changes. The first race I did it just felt like coming home despite using a controller when I have a whole wheel setup for gt on my ps5. I didn't realize how much I missed you Forza, but it was a lot and I can't wait to dive back into multi.

Edit: holy shit y'all weren't kidding drivatars are straight up homicidal wtf.

edit2: drivatar rams me from behind into a wall, avoidable contact 1 second penalty, fff

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin