Options

[Programming] Initial commit

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    RFC* says addresses are dot-atom tokens, id probably do something like that since it's an easy demarcation for this and no more

RFC excerpt
    atext = ALPHA / DIGIT / ; Any character except controls,
    "!" / "#" / ; SP, and specials.
    "$" / "%" / ; Used for atoms
    "&" / "'" /
    "*" / "+" /
    "-" / "/" /
    "=" / "?" /
    "^" / "_" /
    "`" / "{" /
    "|" / "}" /
    "~"

atom = [CFWS] 1*atext [CFWS]

dot-atom = [CFWS] dot-atom-text [CFWS]

dot-atom-text = 1*atext *("." 1*atext)

*2822, Assuming I've got the right RFC, browsing them on a phone is hard

Carpy on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Gmail will absolutely let you use foo+bar@gmail.com as a unique alias for foo@ - just not as an account name. The only thing you should care about is validchars@resolveable.domain

Protonmail also allows + for aliases. I like the approach Saeris came up with. Just try and send it and see if it fails. E-mail rules differ all over the place.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Debra Porowski

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Where you do you guys draw the line for special chars in email address validation? We initially had a ticket to add support the # symbol and + but now they want to support all special chars... many of which feel like aren't even supported when you create an email. Google doesn't let you use anything other than numbers/letters and a period.

Just don't validate email addresses. Let them enter whatever and then have an email confirmation process, which you should be doing anyways.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    admanb wrote: »
    Where you do you guys draw the line for special chars in email address validation? We initially had a ticket to add support the # symbol and + but now they want to support all special chars... many of which feel like aren't even supported when you create an email. Google doesn't let you use anything other than numbers/letters and a period.

Just don't validate email addresses. Let them enter whatever and then have an email confirmation process, which you should be doing anyways.

If it was my system, whatever. But they pass it in for everything. This whole goddamn thing started because we had a requirement to add +, _, and # to the support Joi validation library. We initially used whatever default validation it used. So then we had to write regex to support it. Then we realized they're using + on a query parameter which obviously causes some issues. So I went ahead and told them they need to encode the email before sending it over since + means something as part of the URL. Now all of a sudden I've had to explain that my comment was meant to fucking explain what URL encoding is... NOT that our endpoint supports every single value on that website. So now every single day in our 2 standups I have to explain that currently only #, +, and _ are supported. And they're failing it because of my comment.

https://github.com/hapijs/joi is the validator we're using.

Because they couldn't get Typescript working before I started on the project. Ugh.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Google also disregards the . character. That is, you can use it. It's just meaningless, and "bob.smith@gmail" is identical to "bobsmith@gmail".

Ask me how I know. PS NO I AM NOT COMING TO THE PARISH BAKE SALE AND I AM NOT DEBRA.

OMG, I get crap like this all the time. I'm like "Who's the yutz out there using my email address all over the place???"

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Debra Porowski

Is very much not me! (I'm also not in... I think it's WI. Or was it NJ?)

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Nothing says "stability" like Alpine Linux deciding to switch to libressl, and breaking all their fucking packages by building them against libressl in such a way that if you need openssl I guess you can just go get fucked?

Meanwhile AFAIK libressl kind of died on the vine in terms of attention after OpenBSD forked it, but then OpenSSL received a big influx of new attention since Heartbleed.

• Options
    Oh my fuck okay I'm removing email validation. Apparently they are already validating on the Front End, and on the ESB layer that we have... I'm just going to put that the email is required and move on with my life as y'all suggested.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Oh my fuck okay I'm removing email validation. Apparently they are already validating on the Front End, and on the ESB layer that we have... I'm just going to put that the email is required and move on with my life as y'all suggested.

I mean, you'll probably still want to sanitize the input if the front end is giving it to you raw.

• Options
    Just raw-dogging that email

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

I mean, you'll probably still want to sanitize the input if the front end is giving it to you raw.

Yeah someone's going to run a pen test and cram a couple gigs of data into that field.

• Options
    Front end already validates and scrubs. It doesn't matter my idea got shot down anyway. We're going to manually add each symbol to our regex.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    You get all the fun ones man.

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

It's been my life for sure lol

• Options

Can't you guys use the built-in HTML e-mail field?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/email

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

Can't you guys use the built-in HTML e-mail field?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/email

I don't have access to the front end. We have a web front that hits this API but also an iOS app and one other app that I don't know what it is.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Front end already validates and scrubs. It doesn't matter my idea got shot down anyway. We're going to manually add each symbol to our regex.

Yes, yes!

*Pounds table*

YES!!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Oh my goodness... Dark mode finally arrived for Jira.

• Options

I feel like I'm the only person who isn't really a fan of dark mode themes. It feels hard to find things/tough to see. I guess the main advantage is people don't get as much eye strain? No clue. Default white/gray themes 4 lyfe.

• Options
    I use lightmode for just about everything.

• Options

I feel like I'm the only person who isn't really a fan of dark mode themes. It feels hard to find things/tough to see. I guess the main advantage is people don't get as much eye strain? No clue. Default white/gray themes 4 lyfe.

I find dark on light to be pretty uncomfortable in most lighting scenarios. Light on dark is almost a physical relief just because it feels like someone stopped pointing a flashlight at my eyes. And that's with my brightness usually turned fairly well down, in an average-lit space.

Like, if I'm at a bar or something, and my friend shows me their phone, if they're not in dark mode I actually squint, it's so bright to me.

• Options

I find dark mode gives less eyestrain. I've stopped fighting the light-mode-default trend in general, but to compensate my monitor contrast is down to 50% and the brightness is at 0%.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I find dark mode gives less eyestrain. I've stopped fighting the light-mode-default trend in general, but to compensate my monitor contrast is down to 50% and the brightness is at 0%.

I also turn down the brightness on my monitors (desktop and laptop) quite a bit too because in general I just think the default is way too bright and causes my eyes to water. Thankfully, I don't get eye strain though.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    My one problem with darkmode is that a ton of things that allow it never actually check their content or other items to make sure it works the same in both modes. For example, the library reading app Libby has a ton of books that rely on you being in light theme to be legible. A lot of them are clearly a programmer throwing a toggle on the front page and brute-forcing a color replacement, then saying "job done" without even checking.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    My one problem with darkmode is that a ton of things that allow it never actually check their content or other items to make sure it works the same in both modes. For example, the library reading app Libby has a ton of books that rely on you being in light theme to be legible. A lot of them are clearly a programmer throwing a toggle on the front page and brute-forcing a color replacement, then saying "job done" without even checking.

It is very definitely that. iOS, for instance, has enough system hooks that shit will just work. Unless, of course, you got all creative and used custom weird font magic and random other things... So then it looks like crap when you flip the switch. Kind of how web pages had this problem back when things first got started. Ideally, sure, it renders however! No problem! User choice! And it lasted about 12 seconds before someone got all creative and suddenly you needed a screen exactly 643x732 for everything to not shuffle position.

• Options
    Y'all are crazy. Dark mode 4 lyf.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

Glares at PA forum theme...

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Speaking of themes, I've switched to Ayu Dark for most of my stuff. Digging it a lot.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

Glares at PA forum theme...

You can change your browser to phone mode with dev tools and enjoy the soothing dark blue anyways!

Hmm, not complicated enough. Okay, you can write an extension that does custom CSS for the site.

No, still not enough. Okay, you can write a scrapper with your own website on the other end and read all your posts in...

...aaand we're back to RSS. Except now I suppose they'd charge you thirty cents a push.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    There's already custom CSS with an extension guide to switch desktop mode back to the old style pinned in the bug forum.

• Options
    My eyes melted and I nearly quit the forums until someone wrote the "Ye olde forums" script. They almost got rid of me too... Suckers.

• Options
    There's already custom CSS with an extension guide to switch desktop mode back to the old style pinned in the bug forum.

I mean, sure, but I didn't write it, so it is deeply flawed!

• Options
    gavindel wrote: »

If I refused to interact with anything I considered deeply flawed I wouldn't be replying to your post.

(boom)

(headshot)

• Options
    gavindel wrote: »

If I refused to interact with anything I considered deeply flawed I wouldn't be replying to your post.

(boom)

(headshot)

Next time your kernel crashes.

That was me.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    JetBrains have their annual developer ecosystem survey going, and they ask some really good questions. Actually interested in seeing the results of this one.

• Options
    I like how the AI questions try to feel out if you like working, and then I get to answer "but actually I'd have the robot do everything if it could".

• Options
    Yeah, for most of the AI questions my answer was "lol, dunno, I'm not allowed to use it at work"

The one thing I'm confident on is that it won't be allowed in certain industries until it's traceable. I'm specifically thinking of industries like aviation where each line of code needs to be traceable to a specific requirement. Even if things go better than I expect, I doubt we see that in the next 10 years.

Prove me wrong, AI people.

• Options
    How the fuck is it 2023 and we still have people dealing with microphone issues in Teams meetings?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    How the fuck is it 2023 and we still have people dealing with microphone issues in Teams meetings?

because most people don't have separate microphones or they're dealing with their own computer issues. I have a coworker who's work laptop's microphone array just doesn't work at all. I troubleshooted it for an hour and its likely going to need a Dell RMA; PC can see the hardware, but it generates no audio and the only hardware switch is function key mute which has no effect one way or the other. the PC also can't see its built in camera, even with drivers installed and they seem to be on the same physical piece of hardware in the monitor I just assume something's borked there.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List