Options

Mint in sealed box [action figures (and other toys)] thread - nsf56k

BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60LTalisker IVRegistered User regular
edited March 2023 in Graphic Violence
Welcome to the Penny Arcade Quasi-Official Toy Thread!!!

First Thread
Second Thread
Third Thread

Got dolls? Action figures? Transforming robots? Cars? Stuffed animals? Keeping them pristine and graded for future generations to enjoy? Busting that box open, playing with them, and taking them to bed? Then this is a thread for you share your love for toys, dolls, action figures, and other collectables.

Here are some websites that have been used by others in these threads:
Big Bad Toy Store
Hasbro Pulse
Entertainment Earth
Smart Doll Designed by Danny Choo * Japanese Web Store
Hobby Link Japan * Japanese Web Store
AmiAmi * Japanese Web Store
Amazon Japan * Japanese Web Store

Some physical stores that sell stuff for us to collect:
Target
Walmart
GameStop
Best Buy
Amazon

A photo of a Walmart Transformers display area in the beginning of 2020 looking like the toy aisles of old (Walmart was selling rereleases of the G1 Transformers toys, so I had to take a photo of the shelf)!
Walmart_02_2020.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
Steam: betsuni7
Betsuni on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I've been really really let down by most Marvel Legends stuff recently, it feels like the toys have gotten slowly worse in quality and especially face sculpts look rough, also a distinct lack of accessories which feels cheap

But the new Into the Spider-Verse toys are very stylized and I like the look of them. Might pickup a couple.

Not much holds a candle to the original Toy Biz Legends line, which had much better and bigger figures. The old Spider-Man figures imo have only been beaten by Japanese companies like Mafex.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Danny Choo is going whole hog for April Fool's this year

I'd absolutely buy that mech suit if it were real, though. That Optimus Prime cosplay is pretty cute, too. The mockups he made of those will eventually go up on the prototypes part of the website for way more than I can afford, unfortunately.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, I love those jokes. Yeah that Optimus Prime is pretty neat looking and sad that he doesn't get a license to make something like that real for his dolls. I love how he has MP-45 (Masterpiece Bumblebee) in his photo!!!

That mech is a cool design.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Now you have my attention, Danny

The mech reminds me a bit of Samurai Pizza Cats

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    He threw in a couple more jokes after I went to bed:

This one threw me until I read the full description where he explains that he merged vinyl with titanium. "Pocket" Smart Doll is actually something he announced years ago - minus the Titanium body.

The other joke is on the website: https://shop.smartdoll.jp/collections/filter-new/products/smart-doll-land?variant=43462948257946

This one also starts out as plausible - setting up a space for Smart Doll owners to go camping as a group, sure why not. Then he starts mentioning the trailers abilities to form into a Jaeger ala Pacific Rim

It's fair to say Danny is a fan of giant robots.

• Options
    Hahaha, these are great! The "Gotandanium" could also be a play on the "Gundanium" alloy found in Gundam. I wonder though what material he's going to use other than silicone or other "plastics" with his mentioning of plasticizer seeping out (something I see a lot of in toys and other stuff I have around the house). Will be interesting to know if he finds a suitable material that doesn't seep out and is soft/pliable. I'm guessing that doll in the photos is one of those Pocket Smart Dolls being smaller than his normal ones?

I like this guy more with his giant robot and tech love (plus his sense of humor and trying to stop scalpers). Wonder what the neighbors feel about him turning farm land into a sort of retreat?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    My understanding is that the "real" pocket Smart Doll - if he is ever able to make it to his satisfaction - will have a frame and joints just like a normal Smart Doll, and not be seamless.

I believe he has experimented with silicone to try to make silicone boob sets, so his description of the problems of silicone is likely based on that experience.

Thank you for clearing up (maybe) what "Gotandanium" is a reference to, I figured it was a joke but couldn't make out what the joke was.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I've been really really let down by most Marvel Legends stuff recently, it feels like the toys have gotten slowly worse in quality and especially face sculpts look rough, also a distinct lack of accessories which feels cheap

But the new Into the Spider-Verse toys are very stylized and I like the look of them. Might pickup a couple.

Not much holds a candle to the original Toy Biz Legends line, which had much better and bigger figures. The old Spider-Man figures imo have only been beaten by Japanese companies like Mafex.

Hmm I don't feel like accessory count has gone down much throughout Hasbro's ML run. Some figures have more than others, some are more sparse. The new comic Yelena has a bunch for example. However some of the more accessory intensive figures are getting deluxe status now though with a higher price. Would I like to see more accessories overall? Sure. And overall I don't think the figures have gotten worse in quality. They've been making improvements with pinless joints, double-jointed elbows for females, more articulation (particularly with Spider-people, RYV Spidey finally has toe bend). The new Blob is rad, Spiral is probably one of the best MLs ever (they definitely went all out for her though). Some figures and/or waves are weaker than others, sure. Like Avalanche was disappointing, no doubt. And I don't really care about the What If waves

I also have no love for the old Toy Biz MLs. I admit they had some detailed sculpts, more paint apps, and sometimes articulation in areas we don't have now (like hands and toes (until recently)), but none of them seem actually better to me. Most Toy Biz figures, though detailed, are ugly, have strange features, are poorly proportioned, and have bad joints. The ball hips are ugly and awkward, the hands with articulation are typically too big and look odd, sometimes the paint is too much, and they seem weirdly scaled with each other. They did have some nicely sized BAFs, but again that Apocalypse just looks top-heavy and uncomfortable

My main "complaint" with MLs currently is I just don't have interest in the characters recently, but honestly that's nice because I'm saving money and I have no space

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I just noticed it mostly on Spider-Man figures who used to get some web accessories but now that's very rare. The last one I got that had them was the Stealth Suit from a few years back. Every single retro style packaged toy only comes with alternate hands which is a letdown to me, especially when those toys they're emulating with the packaging had accessories like that

• Options
    Yeah, the Spider-figures probably have been hit the hardest accessory-wise. Webbing, more hands, and alt heads would be nice

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.polygon.com/23662953/good-smile-company-4chan-secret-investment
    Disney has dropped Good Smile as a partner after the news has spread and confirmation has come that indeed, Good Smile pays to keep the lights on over at 4chan

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Huh. I've looked at their products before, but hadn't purchased anything. Guess that's a skip.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's kind of a shame, as some of their stuff looked really good.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I thought the chainsaw man nendos looked great and I would have gotten one for my gf likely but having heard all this when it was first reported means they're just on the shitlist

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've got two Nendoroids, and I'm positive I'd have bought more in the future if this news hadn't come to light. What a disappointment.

• Options
    So I wonder how fast they'll dump 4Chan to get some licenses back after this came out. Sucks since I have some Nendoroids (Zelda, Star Wars, and Hamtaro) and a Disney thing.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    I mentioned before that I love the figma line and have a ton of them, but I cancelled all my preorders after hearing this news before and I don't plan to get any more. I want to hope that now that the connection is confirmed, it will put pressure on Goodsmile to pull out, but I sadly doubt it. The reality is most of their licenses are from Japanese companies who probably don't care about what they'll likely perceive as a foreign issue that doesn't affect them. I could see Nintendo dropping them after Disney did, but I'm not sure how many others would. Of course, if they lost the license to make Miku figures, they'd be bankrupt in a month.

• Options
    Danny posted more cosplay today, and shared a story of an anime studio that saddens but doesn't surprise me:

• Options
    I read his post and that is sad to hear he had that experience and that he decided to no longer promote any IP other than his own. I would probably be tempted to buy a Star Wars Smartdoll if he made one. Then again I completely understand his frustration and love how he's focusing on non traditional dolls to include everyone. That is so cool!!!

I have been so behind on the Mandalorian lately. Need to catch up on Season 3.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm really sad I won't get any Star Wars or Star Trek dolls in the future, but I understand where he's coming from.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really sad I won't get any Star Wars or Star Trek dolls in the future, but I understand where he's coming from.

I guess he could always sell clothing that could be used to make your own Star Wars or Star Trek outfits as long as he doesn't include any trademark or copyright stuff (logos, emblems, etc.). But yeah he probably will just avoid all of it to keep himself safe and not have to deal with anything legal.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sorry to double-post, but wanted to share this with any Transformers fans who bought the recent Shrapnel.

Apparently there is some mix up at the factory and some people are getting duplicate "front leg/guns" (two left I think). I read this on the TFW forums and went to investigate it on my copy. Looks like I got a left and right leg piece so I'm good, but wanted to share it here.

You can see the two different numbers printed on mine. Someone said that they got a "4" instead of a "3" on their copy. Edit: The "4" was an incorrect copy where it is the same side, so guessing 1 and 3 are good?
    Legacy_Shrapnel_01.jpg

You can see the difference of the curve/length on the end piece (foot? toe?).
    Legacy_Shrapnel_02.jpg

Here they are on my Shrapnel. Honestly I don't know which is the "correct" leg so I just stuck them on there.
    Legacy_Shrapnel_03.jpg

I'll share my thoughts of the toy when I have some more time, but wanted to share this for now.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Huh. Hasbro actually managed to keep some secrets!

Today's announcements:

The last 2 combiners for the core class Dinobots

Deluxe Beachcomber and Devcon (never heard of that one)

A new Junkicon, Axelgrease, that looks very inspired by Lockdown and probably will be remolded into Animated Lockdown.

Voyagers are Dirge (Can't tell if it is new compared to Earthrise), Nemesis Leo Prime (actually kinda sweet black and cyan lion that makes me glad I passed on the standard Leo Prime) and the highly expected Leader Armada Megatron.

All are pre-orders, slated for around August.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Real quick

Core: We still haven't seen Snarl nor a fully complete Volcanicus. Scarr looks okay besides the lack of elbows but Swoop looks incredible.

Deluxe: Beachcomber, S2 Pacifist minibot, is surprisingly nice, cleans up extremely well and the parrot is a ridiculous accessory that gets billing in the toys product name, which is hilarious.
    Devcon: Extreme retool of SS86 Blurr; Devcon, S3 Autobot Bounty Hunter, is one of those characters who never had a toy, showed up in one episode of the toon and was left to languish as obscure character.
    Axlegrease: New character, she's a rare Decepticon Junkion. Look great, fantastic colors, but I'm a little bummed she's going to clash too much with the other Junkions for part swapping. Though at this point I'm thinking I should just pick up Tow-line too.

Voyager: Dirge is repack of the hard to get 2-pack from Earthrise. Nemesis Leo Prime (Aka Copy Convoy) looks really accurate to the show. (He's just an evil copy of Lio Convoy made from a duplication machine) Not planning on either of these though.

Leader/Commander: Both Armada Megatron and Optimus look fantastic, though the exchange of minicons and minicons features for articulation does leave the figures a lot more bland. I'm trying not to get lots of the same character, and I'm full up on Primes and Megatrons. Can't say it isn't tempting to try and start an Armada collection.

Titan: Will need to see the final colors for the Nemesis, but I'm loving what I see so far. She looks great, her alt mode is great, I love what's going on with her facesculpt and mask, and she has guns! Can't wait to pick this one up.

• Options
    Oh yeah. I missed Nemesis thanks to it not being on the pre-order email I got... But damn. I am totally down for that, though I have no clue how to get a hold of a strong enough stand.

Also will need an aftermarket blaster upgrade, as the hand cannon was kind of puny.

Two more female transformers today. That is really cool, imo.

• Options
    Brand new female characters at that. One of whom is an 100% original mold.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    As a self-appointed Beachcomber Megafan, my opinion - obviously the only one that matters - is that that is a really good Beachcomber, shockingly so. The parrot is an absolute chefkiss of an accessory.

Axlegrease looks like a partial retool of Scraphook, right? Or, well, the engineering seems to be the same, but the actual tooling seems to be pretty different. I'm very tempted to get the Legacy Evolution Junkions, because of the "transform into a bot but also break apart into build-a-bot pieces" gimmick, but it kinda depends on how many there are in the end. Am I correct that so far there've only been two? Scraphook - a pick-up truck with a towing arm/winch on the back, and Crashbar - a motrocycle? Oh, right, Undead Scottsman points out Tow-Line, a redeco of Scraphook. So as of right now, there are two decos of the unique pickup truck mode, there is one deco of a unique motorcycle mold, and there is one deco of something that shares engineering and maybe some molding with the pickup truck? And only one pickup truck and the motorcycle have a consistent, unified color scheme? That's... kind of a bummer for me. I know that it's way easier and cost-effective for Hasbro to do repaints and slight remolds that design brand new engineering, but having a handful units of the same mold in lots of different colors is not appealing to me. I guess having lots of color options is good for folks who want the Junkions to pull them apart into equipment for other toys, but I specifically would want the Junkions in a unified color scheme to pull them apart and cobble the parts together into bigger junkpile robots. For that purpose, I would much prefer a unified color scheme. So, Axlegrease looks wonderful in car mode, and I like the colors both on her and the off-the-wall neon of Tow-Line, but... they don't really fit what I'm looking for.

The Core Dinobots are cute from some angles, and disappointing from other angles. I think Swoop looks far and away the best out of the ones that we've seen; I personally feel like all the other ones sacrifice way too much in both modes in order to also be a combiner (...and to fit a certain price category). When they were announced, I was considering grabbing them for the novelty factor, but having seen some video reviews, I feel like I'd probably be too disappointed with them in-hand. Maybe I'll wait to see how the combiner looks in-hand.

That Titan Decepticon looks aaa-mazing. I wish I had the space to get both her and the Ark. My impression is that the Ark has some flaws, but the size and novelty of it make up for that.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    There's two problems with the Ark.

1. Despite the most iconic image of the Ark being its five thrusters sticking out of a mountain, this toy only has four thrusters. Not a dealbreaker but it is kind of a WTF situation.
    2. They decided to include Teletraan-1/Mainframe, which is cool as this is the first itme Mainframe has gotten a transforming toy, but the integration with the larger figure basically made it so the chest was a no go area for transformation and the rest of the figure is incredibly simple to transform; it's like a giant core class figure. Also his proportions are off, he wears half of his vehicle mode as boots and then has skinny legs. Which would be fine, except they didn't use the simplified design to cover up obvious joints in the alt-mode.

He's one of the weaker titans, and has a bland color scheme. I wound up buying the DK upgrade set for him (new hands and a bunch of fillers) and I have a Toyhax sticker set I really need to apply.

Beyond that, if you want a bigass Transforming Ark, he's certainly that. I might throw some pics up if I ever get around to stickering him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I pre-ordered the Beachcomber, Swoop, Skarr (mainly because I'm all in on this combiner team), and Dirge. Didn't know that Dirge was a reissue so will cancel him since I don't need him in my collection.

The Slug/Slag Dinobot is probably the best of the two I have so far. He looks good in bot mode and dino mode. Sludge is ugly in both modes just because he seems to be made more for the combiner mode (sadly). His dino mode isn't bad, but not great....

I didn't know that Axelgrease is a female bot. I might just pick her up on sale to add to the female bots in the collection.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Devcon is a neat surprise, he gets little nods here and there, but this is the first actual Hasbro figure. The blue looks off, but definitely getting him for the novelty

Axlegrease is absolutely a somewhat retooled Scraphook, which is kinda cool but also a little disappointing, but I like the idea of a female Junkion that goes evil, so preordered

Beachcomber looks great, I love the idea of a deluxe sized version, easy buy

I don't care about Dirge or the evil lion or the little Dinos. Armada Megatron is almost cool, but I'm sure the transformation is stupidly easy (lay down and scrunch up) which makes sense but is also very disappointing so I gotta pass.

Armada Optimus looks amazing though, however I kinda want him in a different colorscheme

Titan Nemesis is definitely interesting, rad that it's a female, ship looks cool, bot mode looks ok, hopefully an improvement over the Ark which didn't do much for me, but it's still disappointing that it doesn't seem like it has a base mode? Like these are the main ships of the factions, they use them as bases, but the toys have no real base mode... And overall they both seem to have less playability compared to Scorponok, Omega Supreme, Gen. Metroplex... Ark had Teletraan as a neat extra figure at least, but Nemesis doesn't appear to even have that? So Idk, maybe there's more we're not seeing, but at this point it doesn't seem worth the cost of money or space

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    It looks like her two guns took the place of an another figure, much like how Metroplex got Sparkdrinker but not his minicon. You are definitely paying more for less, but that's going around with everything lately. I don't blame anyone who winds up bailing on the hobby over the next few years because of these ridiculous prices.

Also, this is a little pedantic, but the Decepticons never used the Nemesis as a base. In the G1 toon it just crashed into the side of a mountain until the 'cons found it in S2, megatron took the power source from it and installed it in himself and they abandoned it.

What you're probably thinking about is the fan-named Victory, which was the ship they built in the original 3 part opener in S1, which Mirage sabotaged and it crashed in the sea, where it became the center of an underwater Decepticon base of operations.

Later in Beast Wars they retconned the Nemesis as having crashed in the ocean and Tarantulus set up a base of operations there, but that was more to get the ship operational than use it as a base. After the Preds reactivated it and then were defeated, it flew out of control, off into the horizon, where it ostensibly crashed into the mountain it was found in G1.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ever just keep building up unopened toys and push off opening them until you have a big stack? Sorry for the photo dump!

First off, I picked up some AEW wrestlers. Evil Uno and Thunder Rosa because they are two of my favorites - Darby because I saw him super cheap at a flea market and he came with a neat skateboard. The AEW figures are usually pretty great and these are no exception - really nice paint jobs on the tattoos and extra hands thrown in. I'm super impressed with Rosa - her face and makeup are great and the costume is well done. Also, they are great at scale - everyone seems to have the right body type/size.
    Thunder Rosa
    bsz3lxcofx0q.jpg
    myow20clvep8.jpg
    mu8wctmmjtc7.jpg
    uwv9tywoka5z.jpg

Evil Uno
    naf383mzw31w.jpg
    038rs9xarn62.jpg
    tyfpa6b6n5e4.jpg

Darby Allin
    df877lcgb7i9.jpg
    bvpp7jeryual.jpg
    xc3h1zb72hzb.jpg

Group
    efetjkkzhi7q.jpg

Next was a miscellaneous figure, Samus Aran. I have a shelf that is sort of a catch-all with video game figures and other toys where I don't collect the actual lines but have a few items. She was only $10 at Walmart (I think the line is exclusive) with BOTW Link and Zelda. She's actually far better than a $10 toy should be - pretty poseable, feels fairly well built (except for some weak shoulder joints), and is just fun. The ball version is really, really cheap feeling though!
    0ex45z951o3z.jpg
    bjp5tu1fs28j.jpg
    hckls13uwdko.jpg
    kocxxlj009nd.jpg

Finally, my main toy collection at the moment, Masters of the Universe Origins.
    First was the online exclusive Frog Monger. This figure is neat because it's actually based on a frog guy in the original sticker on the floor of the vintage Castle Grayskull. They turned him into a figure with an awesome retro look, right down to a rocket backpack-looking thing. He's easily one of my new favorites in the line.
    y4r4n95aauww.jpg
    n5pwwgbjx8mq.jpg
    odjlevrrnwvy.jpg
    2ymb34iynpr6.jpg
    qpitioxgjrcd.jpg

Next is the Snake Trooper. It's essentially the Horde Trooper with a snake head (from Rattlor). This is an interesting toy because it, along with the Slamurai figure later in this post, was part of 4 figures that were lined up to be at the end of the vintage line. They were all recycled parts from other figures - something super common in the line - but got canceled after the line crashed and burned.
    tvdgzd295bfb.jpg
    aq9zmc4dxakt.jpg
    0bc26xahqhze.jpg

Next is the aforementioned Slamurai. He's basically just a white, good-guy version of Ninjor. The white and blue look really nice actually, and I'm a fan of the nunchuck accessory.
    sn7jpfgllz4w.jpg
    8bcfwewpdi2g.jpg

Next is Snakemen Teela. Essentially a re-paint of Teela but with some tweaked details to make her match the early 2000 line. They did a storyline where a few folks got turned into Snake People and this is the first Origins figure based on that. I wasn't sure if I'd grab her since she wasn't in the original line, but I'm really glad I did - her paint scheme is awesome and the green weapons are also great looking. I also included a close up of the packaging - all the snake based figures have the neat scale texture.
    ksvy3kjzgm9s.jpg
    lcqlzpkfybfh.jpg
    psfp0adwoq50.jpg
    1ibd7k3dkziu.jpg

Finally is Tung Lashor. One of the original Snakemen, they did remove his action feature - sort of. He used to have a tongue that would go in and out as an action, but now you can just remove/add the tongue yourself. It's not a major loss for me - but I didn't own him back in the day, I might feel different if I had memories of playing with him. Either way, his color scheme is awesome and I love the dragonfly crossbow even if he's not great at holding it!
    ao6rbnhlga5l.jpg
    oin0hqb7mgvd.jpg

Comics and group shot:
    5uhv36a1jg4t.jpg
    icmx29yxqvff.jpg

• Options
    Probably more than a little pendantic :tongue:

And still doesn’t change the disappointment

I definitely expect more out of these big expensive figures, but it doesn’t seem like they want to put that amount of love and effort into them. It looks like all the effort went into Armada Optimus

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    After looking through the images:

Core Dinobots are my catnip. I've got Slag at home now and Grimlock & Sludge sitting in my POL. Slag is a fun little guy actually, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the pack.

Beachcomber and Devcon look nice, but definitely not my thing. Devcon actually gives me the same vibes I had as a kid when I saw the initial Blur toy oddly enough.

Really not interested at all in Armada Megs, Armada Optimus, or Nemesis Leo.

I'll definitely have to get Dirge, I'm still mad at how Amazon handled that exclusive.

Axlegrease looks good, but Junkions aren't my thing so I'm going to have to pass.

Titan Nemesis I'm torn on. On one hand yay new Decepticon Titan. On the other it looks really rough right now and I don't have anywhere to put it.

• Options
    Also worth noting that Nemesis does have the style of connectors introduced during War for Cybertron. So you'll still need to use Omega Supreme to bridge between them, but it can connect up.

... I should go find 3d printed parts and ramps and such that are compatible.

As for alternate colors of Armada Optimus... So far they haven't recolored any of the Commanders except Jetfire for Shattered Glass. It's kind of surprising, really. Still happy I got my masterpiece styled one. :D

Armada Megs pretty well indicates that Tidal Wave will be a commander.

• Options
    Ever just keep building up unopened toys and push off opening them until you have a big stack? Sorry for the photo dump!

First off, I picked up some AEW wrestlers. Evil Uno and Thunder Rosa because they are two of my favorites - Darby because I saw him super cheap at a flea market and he came with a neat skateboard. The AEW figures are usually pretty great and these are no exception - really nice paint jobs on the tattoos and extra hands thrown in. I'm super impressed with Rosa - her face and makeup are great and the costume is well done. Also, they are great at scale - everyone seems to have the right body type/size.
    Thunder Rosa
    bsz3lxcofx0q.jpg
    myow20clvep8.jpg
    mu8wctmmjtc7.jpg
    uwv9tywoka5z.jpg

Evil Uno
    naf383mzw31w.jpg
    038rs9xarn62.jpg
    tyfpa6b6n5e4.jpg

Darby Allin
    df877lcgb7i9.jpg
    bvpp7jeryual.jpg
    xc3h1zb72hzb.jpg

Group
    efetjkkzhi7q.jpg

Next was a miscellaneous figure, Samus Aran. I have a shelf that is sort of a catch-all with video game figures and other toys where I don't collect the actual lines but have a few items. She was only $10 at Walmart (I think the line is exclusive) with BOTW Link and Zelda. She's actually far better than a $10 toy should be - pretty poseable, feels fairly well built (except for some weak shoulder joints), and is just fun. The ball version is really, really cheap feeling though!
    0ex45z951o3z.jpg
    bjp5tu1fs28j.jpg
    hckls13uwdko.jpg
    kocxxlj009nd.jpg

First was the online exclusive Frog Monger. This figure is neat because it's actually based on a frog guy in the original sticker on the floor of the vintage Castle Grayskull. They turned him into a figure with an awesome retro look, right down to a rocket backpack-looking thing. He's easily one of my new favorites in the line.
    y4r4n95aauww.jpg
    n5pwwgbjx8mq.jpg
    odjlevrrnwvy.jpg
    2ymb34iynpr6.jpg
    qpitioxgjrcd.jpg

Next is the Snake Trooper. It's essentially the Horde Trooper with a snake head (from Rattlor). This is an interesting toy because it, along with the Slamurai figure later in this post, was part of 4 figures that were lined up to be at the end of the vintage line. They were all recycled parts from other figures - something super common in the line - but got canceled after the line crashed and burned.
    tvdgzd295bfb.jpg
    aq9zmc4dxakt.jpg
    0bc26xahqhze.jpg

Next is the aforementioned Slamurai. He's basically just a white, good-guy version of Ninjor. The white and blue look really nice actually, and I'm a fan of the nunchuck accessory.
    sn7jpfgllz4w.jpg
    8bcfwewpdi2g.jpg

Next is Snakemen Teela. Essentially a re-paint of Teela but with some tweaked details to make her match the early 2000 line. They did a storyline where a few folks got turned into Snake People and this is the first Origins figure based on that. I wasn't sure if I'd grab her since she wasn't in the original line, but I'm really glad I did - her paint scheme is awesome and the green weapons are also great looking. I also included a close up of the packaging - all the snake based figures have the neat scale texture.
    ksvy3kjzgm9s.jpg
    lcqlzpkfybfh.jpg
    psfp0adwoq50.jpg
    1ibd7k3dkziu.jpg

Finally is Tung Lashor. One of the original Snakemen, they did remove his action feature - sort of. He used to have a tongue that would go in and out as an action, but now you can just remove/add the tongue yourself. It's not a major loss for me - but I didn't own him back in the day, I might feel different if I had memories of playing with him. Either way, his color scheme is awesome and I love the dragonfly crossbow even if he's not great at holding it!
    ao6rbnhlga5l.jpg
    oin0hqb7mgvd.jpg

Comics and group shot:
    5uhv36a1jg4t.jpg
    icmx29yxqvff.jpg

Does your Walmart still have the BotW Link and Zelda? The nearest two never got them or I never saw them and have been trying to get a set for a while now. That Samus looks awesome though.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Thunder Rosa
    bsz3lxcofx0q.jpg
    myow20clvep8.jpg
    mu8wctmmjtc7.jpg
    uwv9tywoka5z.jpg

Evil Uno
    naf383mzw31w.jpg
    038rs9xarn62.jpg
    tyfpa6b6n5e4.jpg

Darby Allin
    df877lcgb7i9.jpg
    bvpp7jeryual.jpg
    xc3h1zb72hzb.jpg

Group
    efetjkkzhi7q.jpg

0ex45z951o3z.jpg
    bjp5tu1fs28j.jpg
    hckls13uwdko.jpg
    kocxxlj009nd.jpg

y4r4n95aauww.jpg
    n5pwwgbjx8mq.jpg
    odjlevrrnwvy.jpg
    2ymb34iynpr6.jpg
    qpitioxgjrcd.jpg

tvdgzd295bfb.jpg
    aq9zmc4dxakt.jpg
    0bc26xahqhze.jpg

sn7jpfgllz4w.jpg
    8bcfwewpdi2g.jpg

ksvy3kjzgm9s.jpg
    lcqlzpkfybfh.jpg
    psfp0adwoq50.jpg
    1ibd7k3dkziu.jpg

ao6rbnhlga5l.jpg
    oin0hqb7mgvd.jpg

Comics and group shot:
    5uhv36a1jg4t.jpg
    icmx29yxqvff.jpg

Does your Walmart still have the BotW Link and Zelda? The nearest two never got them or I never saw them and have been trying to get a set for a while now. That Samus looks awesome though.

I bought her over a month ago and I think that one case of the line was all I've seen them get in. I'll double check next time I'm in there and let you know.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Speaking of helping out others. Does anyone need a Transformers Breakdown? I got an extra one from Pulse since they messed up an order and am willing to sell him off and will donate the money to charity. I was going to donate him to a children's hospital, but someone said that a kid would be sad since he is a part of a team (combiner) and wouldn't have the rest of them. Funny since I grew up with a bunch of Transformers that were part of a combiner and never got the rest of the team.

Anyways, let me know if you are interested. I'd like to get the same amount as the toy costs, but completely understand if you just want to pay for shipping.

Edit: This is the Breakdown I'm talking about.
    https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-legacy-evolution-breakdown

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    If I didn't already have him I'd take you up on that.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Drama in funkoland (no, not that funcoland)

It started with Pop in a Box removing their Funko inventory a few months back. PIAB was a smaller company that basically made money by getting exclusive Pops and selling them direct to customers, usually with a chase that people were after (I have a few). Apparently, according to the owners, Funko stopped let companies put in smaller orders (as in, under 10 thousand of a particular character or series). This means not only PiaB was in trouble, but a lot of smaller companies that specialized in Pops were in trouble.

As of now, the only Funko's on their site at old stock they can't shake off, and they've pivoted to other brands to make do
    https://www.popinabox.us/

Another recent casualty is Big Apple Collectibles
    https://www.bigapplecollectibles.com/
    They have met a similar fate, only they are shuttering their doors. As many other similar sites will likely do before long.

This all comes on the heels of the recent Mondo controversy where they apparently tried to gut the company after purchase to save money. It truly looks bad for them even after a direct response to the anger around the situation, as Mondo was a grassroots poster company based in Austin people loved, and that worked closely with artists and houses like Alamo Drafthouse. Funko bought them, moved the company to California, and now recently laid off a lot of their staff. It's a bad look.

That is even setting aside the thousands of Pops that went directly into a landfill earlier this year. Because they had too much stock. After the pandemic, the hobby boomed (I was among this wave). As time has gone on, sales have significantly cooled but it left Funko with a ton of stock on more popular lines.

In the end, it burns the community they built, it burns the environment, it burns the fans of other companies like Mondo, etc. It was truly a bad time to get into collecting them for me lmao. I just like collecting Spider-Man crap, and they have so many of those. So yeah, definitely beyond done with them. I won't begrudge people who buy them as gifts for me or whatever, but yeesh. What a year for them. Totally washed away a lot of fans in the process as you see long time collectors divesting of their rarest ones before value plummets.

Local H Jay on