Options

[DLC for your Car] Is this what horse armor has led us to?

DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
edited May 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
If I may, for but a moment, take a measure of your time and, Continuing from the Social Media Thread, present to you for your perusal:

A thread wherein we discuss being locked out of already present features in things you own.

Whereby many erudite personae have laid out the discussion as such:

Tesla, BMW, Mercedes and others are locking you out of features already present in your car unless you pay them money:

This is tolerable, because:
- You got what you were buying, no false promises were made, the fact that there is extra beyond the original contract at an extra cost doesn't matter.
- Customizing cars is expensive, building 1 system, and turning the needed systems on/off as needed is actually cost saving.

This is an outrage, because:
- It's MY CAR, I should be able to access all it's features
- What's next? Unlock premium driving for $50 a month? We need to stop this!
- My Ukrainian friends are prevented from circumventing the limiter because of copyright law and because Putin is being a big dick.

Now, I personally HATE the thought of having a monthly subscription to use the AC in my car, like.. Hate it in my bones.
But I don't mind the same thing in a videogame? I'm not fuming over not having access to the premium skin, even though it's right there on my computer.
I'm more conflicted about pre-installed DLC, but Rimworld, where they gave a patch and everyone got 50% of the features for free, and 50% behind buying the DLC, that felt alright?
On the other hand, if VmWare starts their "You can only use emulate 4 cpu with your consumer version of our software, you need to pay us $500 a year to increase that integer" they can fuck right of.

Dibbit on

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    It is interesting and also gets in my craw. The closest example my Mazda had was the GPS: the hardware is in the car but you buy what as I understand it is a special SD card that activates and becomes locked to the car and enables the GPS. This felt a bit like a game cartridge and there is a grey market for the cards so didn't really feel wrong. But heated seats or engine performance feels very wrong. I haven't thought this all out enough to get beyond gut feelings but the former being a one time fee and the latter sounding like recurring fees is part of it.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    It is interesting and also gets in my craw. The closest example my Mazda had was the GPS: the hardware is in the car but you buy what as I understand it is a special SD card that activates and becomes locked to the car and enables the GPS. This felt a bit like a game cartridge and there is a grey market for the cards so didn't really feel wrong. But heated seats or engine performance feels very wrong. I haven't thought this all out enough to get beyond gut feelings but the former being a one time fee and the latter sounding like recurring fees is part of it.

That's the thing, it feels so wrong to have to rent the thing that's already in your possession.
    But on the other hand, I "rent" my house from the bank, and you can lease the whole car, so why not just a piece?
    And as I said, for some game system, I don't mind that parts of it are already on my computer, a skin someone else bought in a multiplayer game is stored on my pc, and it's only a piece of code that's preventing me from accessing it. But I would hate Microsoft if there were like "Pay us $5 a month to use calculator"
    But then again, do I? I have game pass ultimate, and it gives me access to Premium Solitaire, something that's already on my computer...

I just don't like being penny-and-dimed just for existing. And I think the "recuring payment" scheme is already going far enough. So many things are already going online just so they can be SaaS and get your sweet-sweet money.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The biggest problem I see is it might not stop with monthly fees. Like Horse Armor, plain fees would be the foot in the door and "membership" plans, extended usage offers or select free days, and even a season pass for your A/C could follow. And it would all be disguised as more choices for customers.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The biggest problem I see is it might not stop with monthly fees. Like Horse Armor, plain fees would be the foot in the door and "membership" plans, extended usage offers or select free days, and even a season pass for your A/C could follow. And it would all be disguised as more choices for customers.

The Sweet Summer package, new from Audi. For 3 months, you can cool those sweet summer days with 60% strength AC and fold down sun-visors, cooling you to a refreshing 83 degrees on the days that you need. Includes 5 Any-Temp(tm) days with unrestricted temperature, and a 2 weekend date-night special, enabling the interior lights for those special moments.
    * Cannot be combined with "Audi for Ladies" As the Passenger-side vanity mirror option conflicts with the sun-visor option

... I hate thinking this.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    it would make sense if it were in service of making the base price of the vehicle cheaper, but the cars are as expensive as ever

the mercedes horsepower thing is especially tickling because its basically just paying for the right to wear your engine out even faster, thereby paying more in maintenance and shortening the effective lifespan of your car. you have to pay for this privilege. its genius.

you're seeing in the luxury market but the kind of people who buy luxury cars are typically uhh.... not wise people.... and would happily be gouged for the honor of driving around with a mercedes badge on their hood

the real test will be if and when it ever makes it to the broader market and that's when consumers will vote

i have a feeling that few to no makers will be brave enough to pull this shit on something like a corolla.. it takes years of planning to execute something like that and the price of failure in the non-luxury market is... brutal

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think I’m most upset about how obviously dumb it is

What’s the use case to own a piece of hardware that is gated behind a micro transaction

Software I get, assuming there’s a downloaded additional asset or some sort of service that isn’t already in your possession

Hardware micro transactions are just insulting, unless there’s some use case I’m missing

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I hate the fact that this is coming, but I would maybe tolerate it

if I had the slightest bit of faith that it's not going to lead to "I have altered the deal," or, perhaps even more infuriating, scenarios where a bunch of stuff breaks because you haven't connected to the internet in X hours

and

if I didn't suspect it's just another step in the process of enshittification
    https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I mean I assume that the cost of the car is increased just by the presence of paywalled systems, regardless of whether you ever use them.

Like, they've already spent the time and money to put those heating elements into your seats. Even if you never decide to pay for access, they'll still want extra money for giving you the option.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This seems axiomatically amoral in a world where much of the world is in poverty, we’re killing our climate, and consuming extreme amounts of every resource. How many resources into a seat heater for 100k cars that will just sit there unused because you had to subscribe for $8/mo, until it ends up in a landfill never used. It makes me ill. What an absurd waste of resources.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Would it be considered illegal to like... jailbreak your own car?

Like if you figured out how to get the heater in your seats to work without paying BMW, and they found out - could they come after you?

Sounds absurd.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    RT800 wrote: »

Like if you figured out how to get the heater in your seats to work without paying BMW, and they found out - could they come after you?

Sounds absurd.

They could put into the contract penalties (including confiscation of the car) for jailbreaking it. So they could potentially sue you(or repossess the car) if that is part of the contract.

I suspect they will not do that because car companies seem far more media savvy that WOTC. And “BMW repossesses car from man who tried to repair it” isn’t the headline they want to see about their product. But you never know.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Sounds absurd.

Someone was saying there is precedent - John Deere suing farmers who jailbroke their tractors

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sounds absurd.

So this has come up, and I think it was in John Deere tractors (I'd have to check) And basically:
    While it's not illegal to modify your own property, it is illegal to bypass the DRM encryption schema on the software and to run a jail-broken version of their copyrighted software.

So, every company that does this hides behind the "you're a filthy hacker for hacking into our proprietary stuff, go to jail big time!" schtick.
    For instance, unlocking the extra "bonus" batteries in a Tesla, you would have to update and flash the battery management system, and that not only voids your warranty --Natch--- It is also considered hacking and bypassing DRM, a jailable offense.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    l
    Ringo wrote: »

Sounds absurd.

Someone was saying there is precedent - John Deere suing farmers who jailbroke their tractors

Right, but now specific Right to Repair legislation has been passed to deal with that, I think.

At the same time, California is banning ECU mods.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Sounds absurd.

Voiding your warranty is probably a sufficient deterrent for a car.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    We're gonna need to do some research and provide links to flesh out this thread

But just the concept of DLC passes for my car is ridiculous and I hate it

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Huh I just remembered that the remote lock/start feature through the Toyota app is disabled because I didn’t sign up for the annual pass lol

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    l

Sounds absurd.

Right, but now specific Right to Repair legislation has been passed to deal with that, I think.

At the same time, California is banning ECU mods.

It's state-by-state, by which I mean Colorado made legislation for that: (that just covers agricultural equipment, instead of something more general)
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/04/colorado-governor-signs-tractor-right-to-repair-law-opposed-by-john-deere/

• Options
    edited May 2023
    We're gonna need to do some research and provide links to flesh out this thread

But just the concept of DLC passes for my car is ridiculous and I hate it

Yeah, you're right, A quick search for the John Deere gives this article where John deere submitted a letter to the copyright office making the case that they should be exempt from a proposed law for circumventing copyright in certain cases

Basically "We need copyright so we can punish those darn farmers for haxoring our tractor and make them go real good"

And here is BMW "renting" heated seats in South Korea

@edit: Ooh, and for those people thinking "They wouldn't put safety features behind a paywall, would they?" I present to you:

BMW UK, putting safety features behind a monthly payment, But with a TRIAL....
    5kkpx1zoy7is.png

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Also, Are they selling a "Fake engine sound package" for 99 pounds a year? lol.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Back up camera and up to date street maps, yep all awful.

High beam assistant sounds like something a bmw owner would need. Maybe they should have turn signal fucking assist.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I rather hate the high beam assist thing in my Mazda 3, it defaults to on, so will randomly turn my highs on, unless I turn it off every time I start my car.

I live an a pretty urbanish area. I, basically, never need my high beams.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    I rather hate the high beam assist thing in my Mazda 3, it defaults to on, so will randomly turn my highs on, unless I turn it off every time I start my car.

I live an a pretty urbanish area. I, basically, never need my high beams.

you must have actual street lights in my sub urban town I still need mine all the time

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't even like most of the features I see in newer cars.

A lot of them feel like I'm being back-seat driven by my own vehicle.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I think I’m most upset about how obviously dumb it is

What’s the use case to own a piece of hardware that is gated behind a micro transaction

Software I get, assuming there’s a downloaded additional asset or some sort of service that isn’t already in your possession

Hardware micro transactions are just insulting, unless there’s some use case I’m missing

The use case, such as it is, is just rent-seeking.

The whole point of that kind of thing in cars is "because we can, and our financial guys used the word innovate a lot when pitching this to the higher-ups."

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Cynically, I also question this stuff from a wear and tear/failure pov. Why do I want stuff in my car that I'm not paying for that then adds weight/additional failure points to it? (Because even if this tech isn't in use, it's all to easy to conceive of it failing in interesting ways that fuck up what you're actually using)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I will absolutely die on this hill if it becomes the norm and drive some 50 year old Toyota until either I or the car drop dead.

(It's me. No one's outliving a Toyota.)

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Like I said in the other thread, the real issue isn't that they're putting stuff in the cars people didn't buy and locking it out until people pay for them. The real issue is that they are abusing the legal system to sue anyone trying to access it on their own. The right to modify something you bought should be better protected.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if this stuff becomes industry standard, then I'm glad I bought a new car when I did, because it has to last me until i give up driving, then.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Related, but I'm curious to see what the aftermarket EV battery sales and support landscape is going to look like over the next five years, cause it seems like that's going to affect used EV sales, but maybe not.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I absolutely hate this. It's shitty rent-seeking behavior that adds nothing and just flatly makes things worse. I hate that in the process of shopping for a new car, I'm not only going to have to comparison shop the vehicles themselves, but I'm going to have to pour over EUAs to make sure I'm not getting nickle and dimed to turn the fucking seat warmers on.

I would absolutely avoid a car purchase that requires subscriptions for what should be basic trim features. But I also think there isn't a predatory monetization scheme in the world that Americans haven't swallowed hook, line, and sinker, so absent aggressive regulation, I expect this will soon be everywhere. What's another $40 rolled into your 96 month loan that's already underwater?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I suspect this stuff will come and go as public outcry intensifies.

There’s a couple things driving this. Tesla has been the poster child for subscription everything, and their absurd stock valuation has the entire industry trying to copy the same strategies. Then there’s the move to EVs, which don’t need any of service ICE cars do. No spark plugs, oil changes, or any of a hundred other parts manufacturers can sell and make money from, so they’re looking for new revenue streams. It also allows them to make subscription money from the used market, where currently they don’t really make anything outside of service.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    A one-off fee to access hardware that's installed on the car sucks, but... OK. Say it's easier to just put heated seats in everything and just have them disabled unless people drop X buckaroos on it. Subscriptions though, screw that. And double screw software focused type upgrades, since even actual software focused companies aren't that great at making software, and I can only imagine what hot garbage would come out of the average car company. And that's not even getting into how far they'll likely go to make the baseline software suuuuuuuck. AM radio only with 2 presets, $50 a month to enable connectivity for your phone or XM radio or whatever else would make things suck less. $75 a month for the upgraded version that doesn't have the 3 second delay inserted after every button push.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Also, doesn't this heavily effect the 2nd hand market whilst also allowing manufacturers to control and track who has their cars. It leads to some sinister places. I don't want my car accessing the frickin' Internet. "Sorry, this update has bricked your $30k investment...tough shit, we'll make it out to be your fault somehow and do nothing".

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Also, doesn't this heavily effect the 2nd hand market whilst also allowing manufacturers to control and track who has their cars. It leads to some sinister places. I don't want my car accessing the frickin' Internet. "Sorry, this update has bricked your $30k investment...tough shit, we'll make it out to be your fault somehow and do nothing".

Or "sorry we don't support your car anymore so we bricked it"

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    daveNYC wrote: »
    A one-off fee to access hardware that's installed on the car sucks, but... OK. Say it's easier to just put heated seats in everything and just have them disabled unless people drop X buckaroos on it. Subscriptions though, screw that. And double screw software focused type upgrades, since even actual software focused companies aren't that great at making software, and I can only imagine what hot garbage would come out of the average car company. And that's not even getting into how far they'll likely go to make the baseline software suuuuuuuck. AM radio only with 2 presets, $50 a month to enable connectivity for your phone or XM radio or whatever else would make things suck less. $75 a month for the upgraded version that doesn't have the 3 second delay inserted after every button push.

The first sentence is theoretically reasonable if distasteful because fuck you, you put it in the vehicle you sold because it saves you money to unify your manufacturing lines. You don't get to charge consumers extra for saving yourself money.

The bolded part is because that is absolutely where this will end up and as quickly as even a single car company gets enough people on board.

This needs to be rejected not just on the level of the new proposals but frankly any and everything that resembles fees after sale. OnStar, internet, apps, everything. They tested the waters with those things and now it's being pushed further.

I think a very clear line in the sand has to be drawn that if a manufacturer wants to offer a feature or service for a vehicle? It comes in the sale price or it doesn't come at all because otherwise this ends up in a boiled frog scenario.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

The first sentence is theoretically reasonable if distasteful because fuck you, you put it in the vehicle you sold because it saves you money to unify your manufacturing lines. You don't get to charge consumers extra for saving yourself money.

The bolded part is because that is absolutely where this will end up and as quickly as even a single car company gets enough people on board.

This needs to be rejected not just on the level of the new proposals but frankly any and everything that resembles fees after sale. OnStar, internet, apps, everything. They tested the waters with those things and now it's being pushed further.

I think a very clear line in the sand has to be drawn that if a manufacturer wants to offer a feature or service for a vehicle? It comes in the sale price or it doesn't come at all because otherwise this ends up in a boiled frog scenario.

OnStar made sense when it was the ability to call a live person and get some help. I have no idea what the service is these days, but paying a monthly fee to have someone waiting on the other end of a phone line for you? That's a monthly expense that the company is charging you a monthly fee for. I've got no issues with something like that, the alternative is trying to NPV out the numbers for a 'lifetime' subscription type thing and that's going to be silly big.

But subscriptions in the vein of a software license type thing is definitely where this is going. And it'll be subscriptions for something that the company will be producing anyway, the 2024 BMW will be getting the 2024 maps, while the 2023 one won't unless they pony up. Plus there's the added factor that they'll be looking to drive demand for these things, which means looking to prevent you from using your whatevers that would let you do whatever they're charging for for free.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Seems like Volkswagon is having to make apologies after their Car-Net representative refused to re-activate the GPS of a stolen car with a 3-year-old inside without getting paid first.
    "While searching for the stolen vehicle and endangered child, sheriff's detectives immediately called Volkswagen Car-Net, in an attempt to track the vehicle," the Lake County sheriff's office said in a statement posted on Facebook about the incident on February 23. "Unfortunately, there was a delay, as Volkswagen Car-Net would not track the vehicle with the abducted child until they received payment to reactivate the tracking device in the stolen Volkswagen."

The detective pleaded, explaining the "extremely exigent circumstance," but the representative didn't budge, saying it was company policy, sheriff's office Deputy Chief Christopher Covelli said Friday.

"The detective had to work out getting a credit card number and then call the representative back to pay the $150 and at that time the representative provided the GPS location of the vehicle," Covelli said.

Ars Technica article.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It continues to be absurd that a company has any right to sue you for altering a thing you’ve bought. That they can tamper with a thing physically in something you own, and you can’t put it right yourself. Wild that I am not shocked at the above story, because nothing is done by a company for the betterment of others.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a new, top of the line vehicle at this rate. I’m honestly about two steps from a face recognition disrupting face tattoo and carrying a knock-off katana under a black 90’s trench coat.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Personally I think it’s unjustifiable to install the hardware on all vehicles and then electronically disable it unless you pay extra, even as a one time fee. An additional expense to install a fancier piece of hardware, fair enough, extra time and resources went into making and installing it. To charge you to turn on the parts they already installed though? I doubt they’re selling the base model (well “base model” since they all have the same hardware) at a loss, so any additional fees added are just pure greed.

I remember it making the news a while back that a guy took his second hand Tesla to an authorised dealer for maintenance, they discovered that the larger battery installed in it by the previous owner hadn’t had the paperwork processed correctly, so they disabled the extra capacity in software, telling the guy he’d have to give them $4500 to turn back on the capacity of the battery that was still physically installed in his car.

There was another story of a company who made ski equipment (I think) who offered a jacket with an airbag feature that was paid for monthly and would be disabled if you didn’t pay, in that case I believe it was the internet misinterpreting a monthly payment scheme and blowing it out of proportion, but there is precedent for companies to disable safety equipment you physically own.

Why do we have to have all the lame parts of a cyberpunk dystopia and I still can’t get a cybernetic arm that turns into a chain gun?

LJDouglas on