As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Paranoid [phalla]-I don't want to set the room on fiiiiiire-Troubleshooter VICTORY!

Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
edited July 2023 in Critical Failures
The Paranoid Phalla

Welcome to Alpha Complex Citizens! The Computer has discovered a batch of Commie Mutant Traitors may be sabotaging the clone banks, and has sent your group of intrepid Troubleshooters out to find the troublemakers and shoot them.

(OP format shamelessly borrowed from 38thdoe, idea and many mechanics from Lapak on another forum. OP assistance from kime and Ahava)

What’s this then?

This is a social deduction game taking place in Paranoia RPG’s Alpha Complex.

Phalla is the Penny-Arcade Forum Version of the Party Game Mafia in which a small informed minority tries to outnumber the rest of the players by elimination. The majority(village) try to find suspicious behavior and remove the minority(mafia) to win. The minority use their kill to remove vocal villagers and those who are on to them. Sometimes there are reasonable powers that certain players get like being able to unilaterally kill another player or guard against a kill. More in depth General rules of Phalla can be found here

However, this game is adapted from a Paranoia Mafia run on another forum, and as such the rules may be very different from what Phalla players may expect. Read carefully! The contents of the OP and the following setup posts will be meta-information and will be accurate but not necessarilycomplete- there may be hidden mechanics and rules revealed only when they come into play.

The game has the potential to be much faster than you’d expect, and a sense of humor and willingness to play through absurdity is recommended. Also, the setting will be very strongly felt in the game; if you’re not familiar doing a little reading is recommended but a basic rundown is under the spoiler.
Paranoia is an RPG setting played in Alpha Complex, a post apocalyptic bunker society that makes Fallout look reasonable. The complex and population are controlled by Friend Computer, an all-knowing AI that just wants to make everyone happy and root out the Commie Mutant Traitors in its midst.

Or so it thinks. In reality the Computer was programmed by jingoistic assholes, started out with a questionable grasp on reality, and has only gotten worse over time as its programming has been tinkered with.

Oh and everyone is a Commie, Mutant, or Traitor. Most people are at least two. And that’s not counting that in Alpha Complex, being a Traitor is easy. Asking for mission clarification in the wrong way? Treason. Not registering your mutant power? Treason. Registering most mutant powers? Treason. The Computer wants you to be happy! Not obeying the Computer is treason!

Worse, literally everything in Alpha Complex is color coded from Infrared (proles) to Ultraviolet (elite) Anything “above” you on the spectrum is beyond your clearance, and therefore treason! This includes things like hallways, doors, equipment, everything. Troubleshooters, the investigators of Alpha Complex and our players, are RED clearance.

That’s the second lowest. Have fun when the computer orders you into an ORANGE area to investigate, Troubleshooter!

Death in Alpha complex is so easy that everyone comes in six-packs. The game ranges from dark comedy to brutal slapstick, with this take aiming somewhere in the middle.

Fair warning: meta-gaming is likely to lead to an early death, and roleplaying is not only encouraged but will help your continued survival.

Player count: I am looking for at least 10, can handle any number of players. Reserves are welcome and appreciated!

All GM posts after the start of the game should be considered in-universe information and acted on accordingly.

In addition the GM will be playing the role of Friend Computer.

Posts and other information from from the Computer will be in ALL BOLD UPPERCASE. Or otherwise clearly marked.

New players are welcome as are old of course.

Rules and Mechanics:
You must vote each day. Vote in bold italics for whoever you think is most likely to be a threat to you. The winner of the vote will be eliminated every night. Tie votes are NOT ALLOWED. Be careful. (details lower in the rules)

In addition, everyone should make at least two posts each day. Failure to vote or contribute will lead to warning and replacement.

Do not directly quote anything from PMs with me, or take screenshots of them. It is okay to paraphrase role PMs however.

IMPORTANT: Do not PM anyone unless you have a game ability that allows this.

Do not PM anyone without including the GM.

Do not add other players to PM conversations.

Do not anonymously contact anyone.

There will be one or more groups of CLONE BUDDIES in the Troubleshooter faction. These groups will be sent PMs as a group and can communicate amongst themselves by PM.

Most players have several spare clone bodies remaining. If you die during the game, your clone will be swapped in. This does not protect you from end of day votes. Anyone voted out is assumed to have been sabotaging the clone vats, and their remaining clones will be flushed! New clones are swapped in at the beginning of each day.

When you lose your last clone you may make one ghost post which cannot contain any game information whatsoever. If you are dead but have clones remaining, do not post until your clone is delivered.

You can always PM me with rule clarification requests, or post them directly in the thread. If you have questions about your role you should probably use the PM method to avoid giving away info to the other players. They are *already* suspicious of you.

When publicly asking for clarifications on rules by bolding my name on a new line, then asking the question. Questions may not be answered, but GM responses will be accurate. Ask for in game information clarification by asking Friend Computer (at your own risk).

You can’t PM Friend Computer unless you have an ability that allows this. Again, at your own risk.

Make sure you invite me to any PMs or proboards or discords you might form.

Always read the entire thread before posting. You may have died in the interim.

DO NOT EDIT POSTS. The Computer reserves the right to kill you for editing posts. Subverting History without Friend Computer’s approval is treason!

This game has a Day Phase, where talking and voting can occur, followed by a Night Phase, where Mutants, Commies, and Societies plot and send their actions. No public posting during the Night Phase. Everyone has a night phase action, so all players must send instructions every night phase.

The Day Phase will end at 1PM Pacific / 4PM Eastern.

The Night Phase will end at 1PM Pacific / 4PM Eastern, or whenever all night actions are received, whichever comes first. The Day phase will last at least 24 hours (i.e. if the night phase ends at 11AM, the Day will go until 1PM the next day) The timer is suspended on weekends and US holidays.

So Day 1 lasts 24 hours, followed by Night 1 lasting 24 hours or less if everyone is fast, followed by Day 2 lasting 24 hours + the remaining time on Night 1, etc.

All players have the following Night Phase Actions available:

Leave a Message: Write something, somewhere that will be found and incorporated into the morning narration.

Do Nothing: Does what it says on the tin. If you don’t want to do anything at night, send this order.

Be Creative: Want to do something the rules haven’t mentioned? Ask. Remember, there are Hidden Rules, and if there isn’t a rule covering what you want to do I might just make one.

(anytime the rules say Day or Night they mean that Phase, not real life time of day.)

The game will end when all players are dead, or when any of the main factions achieves its victory condition.

After play begins, the troubleshooters will be given a Mission Briefing by Friend Computer.
Current Mission Information from Friend Computer:
Troubleshooters, this mission requires you to locate and eliminate the Commie Mutant Traitors who have been sabotaging the Alpha Complex Zone 23452 Area TBGE Clone Vats! And Friend Computer knows you don’t like to walk too far, so ALL suspected Commie Mutant Traitors are among your numbers!

At this time we believe there are TWO enemy factions among you:

The Traitors Death Leopard have a SECRET CHIEF. This CHIEF can identifies COMMIES with perfect accuracy, but has chosen to use this skill for treason! The last set of Troubleshooters also said they were really good at passing notes? We do not know why they are attacking the clones vats! Find them and eliminate them!

The COMMUNISTS are attempted to program the Clone Vats to produce nothing but COMMUNIST clones! They must be stopped! They have a PROPAGANDIST in their number, who has stolen a mico-printer to hand out leaflets! AVERT YOUR EYES AND BURN THE TREASONOUS MATERIALS, Troubleshooters! Over 40% of Troubleshooters viewing them become COMMUNISTS! Destroy the communists!

This will be a difficult mission, but do not be concerned with failure: your Clone Buddy is guaranteed to not be a Communist or a Death Leopard! Even better, Friend Computer is here to help! And several of you are veterans of previous assignments. Good luck!
(accuracy rated: Better than most things Friend Computer says, but not totally reliable)

The players must choose a Team Leader before play begins. Friend Computer didn’t tell you what the role does, just that it is a powerful role with responsibility. Friend Computer does not tolerate slacking in the shooting of trouble: If there is no majority AND 100% of the players have not voted, the Computer will randomly select a Troubleshooter to kill, and the Team Leader has triple the odds of being picked. The Team Leader will not be chosen to be a Communist or Death Leopard.

Exceptions:
-If any player(s) have not voted for two days in a row, and there are no reserve players, the non-voting players will be selected from exclusively.
-If 100% of players have voted and there is STILL a tie, the day ends with no deaths.

After play begins, the players must choose a Mission Recorder. This will happen as part of the Day 1 vote. The Mission Recorder has the ability to monitor Troubleshooters at night. If a player uses a Mutant Power or otherwise performs non-Friend Computer approved actions at night, the Recorder can present that evidence during the day for Friend Computer to review and execute. This death functions like being voted out: The Computer has no further use for your clones, game over.

If the Team Leader or Mission Controller die permanently, another must be elected.

Order of actions: [YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS INFORMATION]

DO NOT EDIT POSTS. The Computer reserves the right to kill you for editing posts. Subverting History without Friend Computer’s approval is treason!

Known hidden rules:
[HIDDEN RULE 1] : There is no standardized role PM. Mutants abound!
[HIDDEN RULE 2] : [YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS INFORMATION]
[HIDDEN RULE 3] : All players have 1 night action + whatever their faction role might allow.
[HIDDEN RULE 4] : Yes, you all have lasers. That means yes, you CAN just shoot someone.

During the night, PM the GM who you’d like to shoot. Coinflip, they live or die.
During the day, @ me, say you’re shooting (target name) then publicly ask Geth to roll 1-100 with your target’s name. If you roll above 50, you hit and your target loses a clone, dead for the day.

If you roll above 60, congrats you hit and managed to convince the Computer it was for the best.

If you roll below 60, you’re dead. Lose two clones (the Computer is annoyed with you), stop posting for the day.

If multiple people do this to each other in a reasonable window, it was crossfire and all shots resolve. No, you may not shoot people five hours after you die. One shot per player per day only, so make it count! Note: Some of you have bigger, better lasers and so might have different odds..

[HIDDEN RULE 11] The first player who provides sufficient praise to the Computer in four days is entrusted with the Fun and Exciting Arm-delivered Radioactive Massive Explosion device. Make sure you’ve got a good throwing arm.

If a player indicates they are using the device, play STOPS until the GM resolves the explosion.

[HIDDEN RULE 12] FEARME rules: If you choose to use this weapon - which you may do during any Day or Night Phase by PMing me - you must choose up to 10 of your fellow Troubleshooters. They will each have a chance of being annihilated by the grenade, starting with a 100% chance for your first target and with each additional target having 5% less of a chance of being killed. You may not choose less than 10 Troubleshooters (or as many as there are left alive.)

This weapon destroys all clones, as Friend Computer assumes they would be Mutants after the fallout. No, that doesn’t make sense, but Friend Computer rarely does.

Phoenix-D on

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Signups open! Just indicate clearly I'm not picky.

I will be on vacation from the 17th to the 25th. The game will likely start on the 26th barring the unlikely event of getting 30 players in the next day or something. :P @ away if you feel like it; I don't have a player list. :)

Player list:
    silence1186 Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    discrider Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    Lucedes Tossed in a trash compactor, Day 1.
    kime Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    lonelyahava Lasered by the Computer, Day 2
    jdarksun ran out of clones, Day 2
    Wildcat Introduced to a laser turre,t Day 3.
    Heffling Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    Mamawolf Executed for treason, Day 4
    Phyphor Died to Laser Eyes, Day 4.
    premium Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    spool32 Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    ObiFett Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    tosorak
    The Anonymous Died to the FEARME, Day 4
    Green Died to the FEARME, Day 4

Reserves:
    Gizzy

Team Leader:
    kime

Mission Recorder:
    Phyphor

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    SLEEP TIGHT.

THE FOLLOWING TROUBLESHOOTERS HAVE ACQUIRED TREASON POINTS:
    kime: 3
    Mamawolf: 2
    The Anonymous: 2
    Green: 2

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'm a huge of these "phalla." I'd like to give it another shot and !signup

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh no, I wanted to edit that post immediately.

!signup

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I don't think I can give this the attention it deserves but thanks for resurrecting the theme, shine on you crazy diamond.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited June 2023

Lucedes on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I am a good citizen and definitely not a mutant commie traitor

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    OH hey

i'm on 3 weeks holiday from work. gogo me

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Friend Computer would like to remind you that you are clearance RED Troubleshooters!

jdarksun has earned one Treason Point
    (Not really)

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Friend Computer, I am presenting my definitely not mutated self for duty!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Friend Computer would like to remind you that you are clearance RED Troubleshooters!

jdarksun has earned one Treason Point
    (Not really)

( :Joy: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRwn-8QVFl0

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Sign up. Can I have Navy clearance, be from the ING sector, and make my character Clo?
    Clo-N-ING

• Options
    You can be Clo-R-ING.

I'll make sure not to assign you with Amon-N-IA

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I fully understand the theme, but I will put forth my best effort. Mamawolf asks computer permission to be added to the sign up list please

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Briefly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)

Hits a lot of the beats as OP, with more background.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    hmmm i have a work trip on the 26th - 29th
    Maybe I'll just put myself down as a reserve for now.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    You can be Clo-R-ING.

I'll make sure not to assign you with Amon-N-IA

Wolv-R-INE?

Sectors area always 3 letters.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Commies, mutants and traitors?

Who wants to get shot first?

• Options
    Why do you assume they are not all one person?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    They're all traitors of course, but surely one can be a commie without also having to be a mutant

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    My mutant power is communism

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    oh no a paranoia phalla

All you traitors must be eliminated obviously, so that means I need to begin with a !signup.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    They're all traitors of course, but surely one can be a commie without also having to be a mutant

You seem strangely knowledgeable about the ways of commies and mutants...

Steam profile
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm going to go ahead and nominate kime for Team Leader since Friend Computer says we have to do this before we leave, and because Kime seems appropriately suspicious about commies and mutants.

Troubleshooters who don't vote for kime are probably traitors!

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and nominate kime for Team Leader since Friend Computer says we have to do this before we leave, and because Kime seems appropriately suspicious about commies and mutants.

Troubleshooters who don't vote for kime are probably traitors!

This is true. Seconded

Steam profile
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I third

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Fourth.

• Options
    Fifth.

• Options
    If there is no majority AND 100% of the players have not voted, the Computer will randomly select a Troubleshooter to kill, and the Team Leader has triple the odds of being picked.

Majority or plurality? ie if the vote split is:

Wildcat - 3
    silence - 2
    MamaWolf - 2
    spool - 2

and one person didn't vote, what happens? Does Wildcat die a commie mutant traitor like we know they are? Or does it go up for a random death, since a majority of 10 people would be 5 (or 6, depending), and we didn't hit that on any vote.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Wildcat would die.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Friend computer has not designated a way to signup or vote for a Team Leader

You are all traitors.

• Options
    Let me just edit my vote out... oh wait!

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Friend computer has not designated a way to signup or vote for a Team Leader

You are all traitors.

TROUBLESHOOTER, ARE YOU CLAIMING YOUR FRIEND ISSUES UNCLEAR INSTRUCTIONS?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Friend computer is super clear and awesome at all times.

I am only troubleshooting for friend by helping to identify treasonous actions.

• Options
    tosoraktosorak Registered User regular
    !signup let no one seize the means of production except those explicitly designated by Friend Computer

• Options
    Wildcat would die.

*hangs head* The will of Friend Computer be done.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    If this is looking to start end of June that will be after I’m back from New York and maybe have the time. Will wait and see but if you don’t launch before your vacation then I’m likely in.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I've made a terrible mistake