Options

Dungeonquestventure - another quick update

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hrrglrglrglhrlhrhgrl of all of the party members to die, IT WAS NEVER HIM.

DIEDIEDIEDIE

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    among other things, yeah.

he was also known for arguing every single minute detail for a good half hour or so, even if the previous session he had been arguing the exact opposite.

example: he spent at least an hour arguing about how armor should provide damage reduction. For various reasons. Then he spent a half hour the next session arguing about how damage reductionw as total bullshit and how a slashing weapon should totally be able to fuck up a skeleton just as well as a blunt weapon.

The dude just likes to argue. He's a good guy, but tough to play games like this with.

dude I hate players who drag things out for longer than they should be. I guess my case isnt as bad maybe, but he would make any RP encounter go on for 100000x longer than it should. Also he would create RP situations when its obvious its just a basic smash and grab scenario.

"oh hey dont kill that sentient tree, let us talk to it."

"oh hey dont kill that bear let me talk to it"

"oh hey lets negotiate with this evil necromancer, hes probably totally trustworthy and wont try to screw us"

dude has 1/100th elven blood and he thinks every blade of grass is fucking special.
    Rules lawyers are not the same as roleplayers.

Some people prefer trying to explore avenues other than hack-and-slash. Talk to that evil necromancer, for example, and you might be able to give people time to prepare for a flank. Or perhaps someone can dupe him into revealing some element of his plan, or the location of some items of power.

naporeon on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    I'm saying that it seems like a player would be a lot more detached from a character that someone else creates and writes the story for.

As for what Knob said, if a player can't come up with a good character and concept on their own then they should fucking leave well enough alone and stick to Halo.

Actors manage to take a character that someone else has created and written the story, yet somehow they love the role, make it their own, and improvise as the character as well.

Maybe they should leave well enough alone and stick to Halo.

Actors are paid to do this and do it professionally. We're talking about a group of dudes who have a Friday/Saturday night hobby. That's bullshit to compare them to actors.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    i like pregen characters because otherwise everyone is a lone wolf with no family, a mysterious past, and a taste for revenge

or a wholecloth rip from whatever book they last enjoyed

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    sam

chill

I really don't see what your problem here is

this is how I chose to run this particular game

it ain't like I do this for all the games I've run

Rank I still don't get why you tell me to relax and chill

It's not like I'm worked up or anything

Good christ.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    among other things, yeah.

he was also known for arguing every single minute detail for a good half hour or so, even if the previous session he had been arguing the exact opposite.

example: he spent at least an hour arguing about how armor should provide damage reduction. For various reasons. Then he spent a half hour the next session arguing about how damage reductionw as total bullshit and how a slashing weapon should totally be able to fuck up a skeleton just as well as a blunt weapon.

The dude just likes to argue. He's a good guy, but tough to play games like this with.

dude I hate players who drag things out for longer than they should be. I guess my case isnt as bad maybe, but he would make any RP encounter go on for 100000x longer than it should. Also he would create RP situations when its obvious its just a basic smash and grab scenario.

"oh hey dont kill that sentient tree, let us talk to it."

"oh hey dont kill that bear let me talk to it"

"oh hey lets negotiate with this evil necromancer, hes probably totally trustworthy and wont try to screw us"

dude has 1/100th elven blood and he thinks every blade of grass is fucking special.
    Rules lawyers are not the same as roleplayers.

Some people prefer trying to explore avenues other than hack-and-slash. Talk to that evil necromancer, for example, and you might be able to give people time to prepare for a flank. Or perhaps someone can dupe him into revealing some element of his plan, or the location of some items of power.

If we have learned anything from movies, it is that villians love to talk about their plans... it's always worth a shot.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    you're gettin' pretty worked up about not bein' worked up

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    i like pregen characters because otherwise everyone is a lone wolf with no family, a mysterious past, and a taste for revenge

or a wholecloth rip from whatever book they last enjoyed

See, that's a problem sure, but since Rank is choosing who he wants to play in his game, I figure he'd trust these six people to not be absolute faggots about it all.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Sweet fucking jesus fuck

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Where're the cheetoooooos?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Sweet fucking jesus fuck

:rotate:

:roooooootate:

Knob on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    whoo

am i in it rank

say i'm in it

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like pregen characters on occasion more for the min-max reason than anything else.

When given the choice between a nuanced character with some genuine weaknesses and a skill/attribute set perhaps not PERFECTLY FUCKING SUITED to their class, or a character designed to milk every last ounce of power possible, at least 50% of players will choose the latter.

It sometimes makes for bland, cookie-cutter parties, along the lines of "Wow, this is exactly the same rogue build we see in every fucking game we play."

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm saying that it seems like a player would be a lot more detached from a character that someone else creates and writes the story for.

As for what Knob said, if a player can't come up with a good character and concept on their own then they should fucking leave well enough alone and stick to Halo.

Actors manage to take a character that someone else has created and written the story, yet somehow they love the role, make it their own, and improvise as the character as well.

Actors are paid to do this and do it professionally. We're talking about a group of dudes who have a Friday/Saturday night hobby. That's bullshit to compare them to actors.

I act in local theatre productions because it's fun. I play role playing games because they are fun.

I don't see how I'm commiting some act of bullshit by comparing the two.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    you would have to play with this guy to know what I mean. I mean no one liked him except the quiet dude who never says anything except his dice rolls.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man, this is why I wouldn't want to ever game with people who aren't longtime friends.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i wanna be a ranger with a magical black beret that casts fly 3/day

because i want to live a life of danger

Knob on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    whoo

am i in it rank

say i'm in it

If you're in it, the appropriate answer would be

Mmm hmm

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I act in local theatre productions because it's fun. I play role playing games because they are fun.

Yeah but you're a shitty actor.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah, especially since the VAST majority of folks in publicly performed plays aren't professionals AT ALL, but amateurs.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    damnit knob

sub fixins all over the keyboard

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i wanna be a ranger with a magical black beret that casts fly 3/day

because i want to live a life of danger

The gnolls who killed your parents are going to pay dearly

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    the DM is always so busy dealing with his bullshit antics that the other characters never get a word in edgewise. you start to say/do something and all of sudden he pipes in and says nono don't do that THIS is what we're doing and when you're trying to talk to an NPC he's always saying twice as much stuff (no matter how mundane, stupid or obvious) just so the focus is on him.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    the DM is always so busy dealing with his bullshit antics that the other characters never get a word in edgewise. you start to say/do something and all of sudden he pipes in and says nono don't do that THIS is what we're doing and when you're trying to talk to an NPC he's always saying twice as much stuff (no matter how mundane, stupid or obvious) just so the focus is on him.

We have a guy like this.

Exactly like this.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also I have access to quite a large variety of 3.5 books. (They are not currently here, but at my friends house and I am sure I can borrow them)

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man, we played a gestalt game once, and I finally got to make my favorite character concept of all time.

Drunken Master Thrower.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I can't remember if anyone is actually friends with him or if we just keep him around because we'd feel bad otherwise.

Whenever he isn't around we joke about him though, that's for sure.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Fuck. Of all the ways to find out...

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    oh, and i've got a ton of books, between mine and those of a buddy who has pretty much memorized his and keeps them at my house

Nap that is genius

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    me: oh hey, can you tell me the specifics of this evil creature, you're absolutely sure you want it killed, no que--

him: oh hey are those cobblestones made out of stone? thats a nice hat is it elven? oh hey have you read my recently published book? you'll want us to spare this creature. oh hey DM, can I get a full backstory for this NPC, using my knowledge: local skill? blah blah blah

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Like, dude could use any object he could lift as a weapon.

And he could throw any weapon he held.

And he got stronger when he got drunk.

naporeon on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

We have a guy like this.

Exactly like this.

Woah. Woah now. Dude I am the only one who will do the storytelling, you'd better take it and like it.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Better from a forumer than from a newspaper review

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    also

guys

Zogonia is being published in a big collection

this pleases me greatly

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    he asks techinical questions that slow the DM down (who is too nice to say no). like what specific wood the door is made of and what time period its from and are the hinges brass or copper this is very important

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    a burst fire weapon with a gas vent IV system, a folding shoulder stock, and smartlink-2 loaded with capsule rounds filled with dmso and atropine

maybe hauled by an adept with improved reflexes and improved smg skill

12 doses of atropine delivered every combat phase? i am the biggest shadowrun min-max faggot ever

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Better from a forumer than from a newspaper review

So far I've gotten positive feedback... but we all know that internet forums is where truth resides. /sigh.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also: the Drow, as a race, should be incredibly pale instead of being dark. Like fish that live deep in the ocean and whatnot.

But I guess the whole 'black' == 'evil' thing was just such low-hanging fruit that they had to go for it.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    SH, if you play, you gotta yell "Some folks call it a sling blade...." every time you charge into battle.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    also

guys

Zogonia is being published in a big collection

this pleases me greatly

zogonia's site has been kaput for ages now. are you sure of this? I miss the updates

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg