As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Penny Larceny: Gig Economy Supervillain out today!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 5
    In BG3 I decided to head to Auntie Ethel's house
    Then on the way I meet the two guys are demanding she give back their sister. I was maybe a little bit sus of her, what with having her house so dang far away and also with her being fairly confident she can cure me of the tadpoles, but you know what, lots of people have been offering to cure me, and some of them aren't even devils. Anyway having been friendly with her in the camp I tell the guys she's probably alright and they attack me. I use non-lethal attacks to knock them out. Ethel says their sister came to her for help and then vanishes.

I thinks to myself, ah, she's suffered some tragedy and is in a family way and Aunti Ethel is just an old misunderstood magic woman.

I keep heading to her house, find out the nice sunlit wetlands are actually putrid swamp, full of redcaps which I kill.
    I get to her house and the sister Mayrina is there, and she's eating, but also Ethel is forcing her to eat and it's getting a little weird and creepy. Ethel is getting kinda mean compared to the friendly old lady at the grove. I find a door behind the fireplace and Ethel reveals herself to be not just an old lady that people are figuratively calling a hag, but an actual hag. Like the kill and eat people kind. And the room behind the fireplace is full of ironic tortures for the people who came to her for help and a magic door door that is deathly afraid of her.

I poke around a bit more getting into a pretty tough combat that wasn't super prepared for having not long rested since the last one, and decide I"m going to reload from before I met the two guys, since they're right, she sucks, and despite having knocked them out the game wouldn't let me wake them up and narratively was treating them as if I'd killed them.

So I reload and this time I'm like "Ethel did you do something with their sister?" and she gets into a huff because I was supposed to come to her defense and vanishes again. Then, after a brief conversation in which I keep telling the brothers, "no trust me, I got this, I'll take care of her" they head off into the death swamp to fight the hag on their own.

Well, alright dudes. I tried.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    3cl1ps3FencingsaxPreacher
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've been doing the first map in a very haphazard order and they clearly did not plan for this, characters keep referencing things I haven't done yet or dialogue options I purposefully didn't choose. That's the peril of making your massive game a completely open world, I guess.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is there any point trying to make a bard into a damage dealer, or are they purely a support class? Trying to decide if I should have any offensive spells or just focus on de/buffs and my crossbow.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    How do you do non-lethal attacks?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Nerf swords

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Click on the passives tab below your attack bar and you can toggle it there. The tutorial will tell you how to do it depending on how the encounter goes when you meet up with Lae'zel again. Not sure what other circumstances will arise where it might. It's not super useful, what with limiting the kinds of attacks you can use, and aside from a few things which seem to scripted to allow it, it just treats the enemies as having been killed. Or I've read that some enemies will just wake up eventually and attack you again if they see you.

steam_sig.png
    Olivaw
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Hit them with the back of the fireball

KarozCrippl3Dee KaeTofystedethDonnictonFencingsaxOdinOlivawsarukunGlalJacobkoshA Dabble Of TheloniusSporkAndrewElvenshae
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I've been doing the first map in a very haphazard order and they clearly did not plan for this, characters keep referencing things I haven't done yet or dialogue options I purposefully didn't choose. That's the peril of making your massive game a completely open world, I guess.
    I guess there's 3 years of pre release patches and 3 years of post release patches lol

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is there any point trying to make a bard into a damage dealer, or are they purely a support class? Trying to decide if I should have any offensive spells or just focus on de/buffs and my crossbow.

You're going to find making a Bard into a damage machine challenging, they're more about utility and buffs/debuffs than raw damage. If a pure damage CHA based caster is what you desire, Sorceror may be what you're after.

Bards are great, they have access to a lot of really good spells, just not necessarily big dam turn after turn.

Fencingsax
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Thief just gets an additional free bonus action at level 3, yes

It is absolutely fucking wild

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    Shadowfire
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    okay BG3 talk for the remaining page of this thread and then it gets moved to its own topic

someone can make it or I'll do one later tonight

The Zombie PenguinFencingsaxQuantum Tiger
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

You're going to find making a Bard into a damage machine challenging, they're more about utility and buffs/debuffs than raw damage. If a pure damage CHA based caster is what you desire, Sorceror may be what you're after.

Bards are great, they have access to a lot of really good spells, just not necessarily big dam turn after turn.

the big thing is also is that multi-classing can allow you to make a lot of things into a lot of other things. not necessarily optimally, but a lot of things regardless

that said, for someone who has expressed as much experience with the game as you have, smof, yes, you personally are probably going to have a hard time making a damage bard, due to your unfamiliarity with the systems

liEt3nH.png
    3cl1ps3
    Brolo wrote: »
    okay BG3 talk for the remaining page of this thread and then it gets moved to its own topic

someone can make it or I'll do one later tonight

Done

DarkPrimusKevin CristBroloTofystedethShadowfireIoloFencingsaxElvenshae
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Thief just gets an additional free bonus action at level 3, yes

It is absolutely fucking wild

I think it's really good for Rogue specifically because it lets you Cunning Action and off-hand attack in the same turn, but most classes already can't make use of 1 Bonus Action so taking 3 levels of multiclass just to get a second probably doesn't do much. The feats that make bonus actions cracked in the tabletop seem to largely be absent here.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    In high school I must've played BG1 & 2 six times a piece, I ran those things into the ground. I almost never used Strength boosting spells or potions; seemed there was always a more efficient way to get something dead.

But with Shove as a bonus action??? Baby, I'm tossing strength potions at WIZARDS, it's getting WEIRD out here

Beef AvengerStraightziDonnictonOlivawsarukunJacobkoshCelloElvenshaeGrey Ghost
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

the big thing is also is that multi-classing can allow you to make a lot of things into a lot of other things. not necessarily optimally, but a lot of things regardless

that said, for someone who has expressed as much experience with the game as you have, smof, yes, you personally are probably going to have a hard time making a damage bard, due to your unfamiliarity with the systems

That's fine, I wasn't particularly looking to do it, just wondering if it was possible

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Do you have examples? Cause I haven't seen that at all.

Tcheldor
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I started Doom 3, which I've never played before.

Unfortunately, based on the first hour and a half, the only positive thing I can say about it, is that it's neat that zombies sometimes turn into skeletons when you kill them. The guns just don't feel good and so far the environments have all been cramped corridors.

I stopped playing when I had to use a crane to remove toxic barrels from a room. The crane controls had huge delays on them, and since it was controlled by clicking an in-world screen, I couldn't look at the crane while controlling it.

Doom 3 is very much a late 2003/early 2004 era shooter buoyed with the (at the time) latest in id tech, which came with a host of limitations this time around.

Also this game inexplicably has the worst weapon line-up of any id game I've played. (Though I still haven't played Rage yet.). The shotgun is a damn travesty.

BahamutZERORaijin QuickfootDuke 2.0
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I started Doom 3, which I've never played before.

Unfortunately, based on the first hour and a half, the only positive thing I can say about it, is that it's neat that zombies sometimes turn into skeletons when you kill them. The guns just don't feel good and so far the environments have all been cramped corridors.

I stopped playing when I had to use a crane to remove toxic barrels from a room. The crane controls had huge delays on them, and since it was controlled by clicking an in-world screen, I couldn't look at the crane while controlling it.

Doom 3 is very much a late 2003/early 2004 era shooter buoyed with the (at the time) latest in id tech, which came with a host of limitations this time around.

Also this game inexplicably has the worst weapon line-up of any id game I've played. (Though I still haven't played Rage yet.). The shotgun is a damn travesty.

Rage has some pretty fun weapons, and a very grunty feeling revolver. Combined with the animation system blowing something's knee out and then a headshot is a good time.

Also the wing sticks are fun

Rage's big issue is the way it just... Ends. Suddenly and very abruptly

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Dee Kae
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    jokes on you motherfuckers I didn't even take eldritch blast I kill my foes by making them depressed or jokerfied

My warlock in my actual tabletop D&D game doesn't even have eldritch blast, I was playing him like a fighter from wish.com so I went bladepact and leaned into invocations and spells that supported that. Now I'm taking levels in fighter after betraying my patron, and while I lost my spellcasting ability (but not any of my other class features like my pact weapon or invocations)(technically by RAW you don't actually lose anything by pissing off your patron, my DM and I just thought it'd be cool), I'm still beating people to death with the power of friendshipincredible violence.

You’re talking about this reminds me of something that’s annoyed me about Warlocks in the last 4-5 years: a lot of people have started treating them like earlier edition paladins where your patron is always actively involved and if you don’t do what they say they yank your powers away.

While that can be the way Warlocks work, it should be by far the most rare one. Most of the time, you made an agreement to do something, or you sold your soul, or you touched an unknowable being and poof you have your power.

DarmakBrolo
    I had a lot of fun with Doom 3 when it came out. Friend and I rented an extra copy and I took my Xbox to his house. We set up two Xboxes and two TVs in front of his sofa, and two of his massive speakers either side of us, and played the co-op campaign in one straight session that evening. I don't think I ever completed the single player mode but that evening was a good time.

webguy20DarkPrimusMechMantisKristmas Kthulhu
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    warlocks are the best class in 5e because they actually get feats(invocations) at a reasonable rate.

everything else was just so bland and samey to me

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Through 2e-4e I was known for my dedication to taking the Bard - a fairly solid all-rounder support class and using it very effectively. Running a bunch of passive buffs, a dash of damage and a whole swathe of social skills was my jam.

Somehow I've found myself running Warlock after Warlock in 5e now. Somewhat unexpected, but it's the class I mostly keep coming back to. It just fits how I like to play, at least in tabletop.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited August 6
    played around with the wandering village this weekend. it’s neat but the systems feel a little shallow. the city building feels like a very simplified version of against the storm and i don’t know that the mechanics of the big ol rock lizard walking around offset the lack of interesting depth elsewhere.

it is cute getting the messages that it’s wagging it’s tail because you’re taking good care of your skyscraper sized tamagotchi tho

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Brovid HasselsmofElvenshaeKristmas Kthulhu
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Mechanicus
    Knight_ wrote: »
    played around with the wandering village this weekend. it’s neat but the systems feel a little shallow. the city building feels like a very simplified version of against the storm and i don’t know that the mechanics of the big ol rock lizard walking around offset the lack of interesting depth elsewhere.

it is cute getting the messages that it’s wagging it’s tail because you’re taking good care of your skyscraper sized tamagotchi tho

I kinda wish they leaned a little harder into the changing biomes. Like how there are things you can do only while crossing deserts or oceans.

Knight_
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    jokes on you motherfuckers I didn't even take eldritch blast I kill my foes by making them depressed or jokerfied

My warlock in my actual tabletop D&D game doesn't even have eldritch blast, I was playing him like a fighter from wish.com so I went bladepact and leaned into invocations and spells that supported that. Now I'm taking levels in fighter after betraying my patron, and while I lost my spellcasting ability (but not any of my other class features like my pact weapon or invocations)(technically by RAW you don't actually lose anything by pissing off your patron, my DM and I just thought it'd be cool), I'm still beating people to death with the power of friendshipincredible violence.

You’re talking about this reminds me of something that’s annoyed me about Warlocks in the last 4-5 years: a lot of people have started treating them like earlier edition paladins where your patron is always actively involved and if you don’t do what they say they yank your powers away.

While that can be the way Warlocks work, it should be by far the most rare one. Most of the time, you made an agreement to do something, or you sold your soul, or you touched an unknowable being and poof you have your power.

Which then ultimately leads to the D&D atheist, sure there are all these cosmic infused individuals but then someone can just study hard or be born with reality warping powers so gods can't be real.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited August 6
    Replaced my old ass 1tb HDD that I never use anymore with a new ssd. Boot drive remains the same, just went from 2 ssd/1 hdd to 3 ssd. Bios sees the new ssd + the two old drives, let's me select any of them as a boot drive, but refuses to actually boot.

Check my sata connections, disable every other drive in the boot device selection menu besides the one that has windows installed, still won't boot

Ok, take out the new drive and go back to the old config, but disable the hdd in the boot menu just to check something and yep, won't boot. Re-enable the hdd, select the ssd as my boot device, boots right up.

So even though I am booting from this ssd, it refuses to boot unless I also enable this ancient ass hdd as a boot option. But I can't like, actually boot from the hdd (because it literally only has a flashed disc image of PS2 SMT nocturne and nothing else on the drive), the bios just wants it to exist as an option before letting me boot from my ssd?

I hate computers, this is so fucking stupid.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    KarozCrippl3durandal4532ShadowfirescherbchenKristmas Kthulhu
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Midnight Suns, you heartless electric gremlin, how could you make me long-press buttons hundreds of times to do routine inventory maintenance and then let me stiff my good friend Blade at the end of a hangout by accidentally right-clicking when the gift screen came up?

Literally unplayable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    KarozMagic Pinkdurandal4532ShadowfireJacobkoshKristmas Kthulhu
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Mechanicus
    Knight_ wrote: »

I kinda wish they leaned a little harder into the changing biomes. Like how there are things you can do only while crossing deserts or oceans.

ya, even those just feel like ok turn on these buildings and turn off these buildings and switch the crops to the ones that work.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Harmony of Dissonance - complete
    - such a massive improvement over Circle of the Moon.
    - movement options exist.
    - no breakable walls. This is so weird to me. There are three false walls (or six, if you're being technical) and one of them is given; another is inferred; and, well, I had to look up the third.
    - also looked up the best ending because I thought I tried that. I disagree with the setup there: just having Maxim's ring equipped should be enough.
    - I really do love the dual castle setup. I think more could have been done with it.
    - took just over 8 hours of game-time. 10 or 11 total? Got a little sloppy in sections.

Ok, I've had my appetizers. Time for the main course: Aria of Sorrow

Fencingsaxnever dieproxy_hueShadowfire
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Ooh when does this end, i need the wolf sledge but can't play until monday

Thursday, I think. I hear it's also massively dropped in price on the platinum market, but I haven't really engaged with that.

You have to suffer through the first two event missions (Glassmaker and the infested guy whose name I forgot) in order to unlock the Wolf event mission. If you haven't done the first two before, you might need to consult a guide for how to kill them since they can both be kind of a pain.

Is the sledge BP drop only? I got the three weapon pieces but the BP is living up to it's 3% drop rate

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 6
    I'm trying to decide if I should get BG3 now on my PC or wait for PS5. For reference, my PC is from late 2015:
    • Intel Core i5-6500 (3.2 GHz)
    • Geforce GTX 1070
    • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
    • A cheap NVME M.2 SSD that I'm not sure is running at full NVME speed, I've also got a regular SATA SSD I could use as well
    I am technically above the minimum requirements, but I hear a lot of people talking about how bad it runs on low-end systems, which worries me. I could get the PS5 version, but I REALLY want the option to play with KB/M and the possibility of mods.

Crippl3 on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I should get this now on my PC or wait for PS5. For reference, my PC is from late 2015:
    • Geforce GTX 1070
    • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
    • A cheap NVME M.2 SSD that I'm not sure is running at full NVME speed, I've also got a regular SATA SSD I could use as well
    I am technically above the minimum requirements, but I hear a lot of people talking about how bad it runs on low-end systems, which worries me. I could get the PS5 version, but I REALLY want the option to play with KB/M and the possibility of mods.

Thats better than my PC and it's running fine so far

But like, I have literally only played for an hour before getting sucked into watching evo, so don't consider this an endorsement just yet

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    rhylith
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife and I played BG1 together by her playing the single player campaign while I gave advice from the sofa early in our relationship. It was one of our earliest 'hang out spending time together sharing interests' activities.

The idea of couch co-op is intriguing. But I'd probably wait until it hits Xbox.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    mrpakuIoloKarozdurandal4532FencingsaxShadowfireDonnictonMaddocElvenshaeMechMantisnever dieKristmas Kthulhu
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbOnC5DJx2c

SF6 is getting a bunch of TMNT themed goodies on Tuesday, including full Turtle cosplay outfits for your create-a-fighter

ZonugalJacobkoshGlalsarukunnever diedurandal4532ElvenshaeShadowfire
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I mean that’s fine but injustice 2 kind of set the bar for me on that front

KarozJacobkoshKristmas Kthulhu
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I should get BG3 now on my PC or wait for PS5. For reference, my PC is from late 2015:
    • Geforce GTX 1070
    • 16 GB DDR4 RAM

I have those same specs and it's running fine* for me (running on medium, but I'm thinking of moving the sliders up again. Had a lot of crashes on start and had turned down the specs, but they were not performance related. Day 1 patch fixed those).

*= Keep in mind I'm visually impaired and what I find fine others may find unacceptable.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Should I try to play baldurs gate 1?

I already spent my gaming budget this month but already own the enhanced edition of that and 2

I’m trying it. Story mode seemed a bit too easy, but I’m doing what I always do and playing a Sun Wu Kong based character so, sure, 25 strength seems appropriate for the indefatigable Monkey King.

I imagine if you play on Story or Easy, you’ll have very little trouble. It’s what I’m doing, I got shit to do man.

A few pages since this got posted but I played through BG:EE with Siege of Dragonspear on easy. It was great fun. Took about 50ish hours all in.

sarukun
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Also BG3 has been added to the list of games I will eventually get to.

It's a big list guys.

I bought Darkest Dungeon 1 in early access.

I only started properly playing it a couple of months ago

FishmansarukunmrpakuMegaMan001durandal4532ElvenshaeShadowfireMunkus Beaver
This discussion has been closed.