Options

[chat]cake or cherry [chat] pie

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Apparently right before the writer's strike, Pete Davidson, while dating like six different people, managed to film and release a tv series on peacock, and had starred in or wrapped three movies set to come out

goddamn what happened to Pete Davidson?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wait apparently one of the dudes someone on the BBC was talking to about the Sub thing was the president of "The Explorers Club"

That person being Lord British himself Richard Garriott

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Haves I will never request another person eat my weird foods, but they're always offered freely

I won’t harsh you for the sharp cheddar because I love me some o dat, but you keep that barely cheese adjacent shit away from me

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Wait apparently one of the dudes someone on the BBC was talking to about the Sub thing was the president of "The Explorers Club"

Yeah the Venn diagram of old game devs and modern “explorers” has a lot of overlap

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Youtube sent me something new and it's making me giggle, cause it was me with KOTOR I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdD7aLrDtBo

• Options
    Haves I will never request another person eat my weird foods, but they're always offered freely

I won’t harsh you for the sharp cheddar because I love me some o dat, but you keep that barely cheese adjacent shit away from me

if I'm being honest I haven't used a kraft single in like seven years

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Richard Garriott used his Ultima profits to do what the wealthy sub passengers did, except in the opposite direction. Richard Garriott is a well-known space tourist.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Richard Garriott used his Ultima profits to do what the wealthy sub passengers did, except in the opposite direction. Richard Garriott is a well-known space tourist.

Hes also been to the bottom of the Mariana Trench

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    this is pie chat
    submerisble chat is over there ->

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Hes also been to the bottom of the Mariana Trench

He also lives in a mansion full of secret passages.

... I need to make the next big Ultima thing.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Apparently right before the writer's strike, Pete Davidson, while dating like six different people, managed to film and release a tv series on peacock, and had starred in or wrapped three movies set to come out

goddamn what happened to Pete Davidson?

Never thought we'd be cloning Pete Davidson instead of Duncan Idaho

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hearing cheese pie instead of cake makes me think of tiropita /tiropitakia, something savoury.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    cheesecake and cherry pie both delicious and top tier desserts but it is not clear to me that my body can digest cheesecake any more so I avoid it now ;_; but that is a tragedy ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    credeiki wrote: »
    so I avoid it now

Not really on your brand here tbh

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    just embrace the bathroom as your new home

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Alone in the Dark demo is good.

• Options
    A new and mysterious wrong idiom appeared from my boss multiple times today:

"I have a lot of work left to do on [document] so I will be the long end of the stick" by which she means "I will be the rate-limiting step" or uh I can't think of an actual idiom that actually means this, but 'I will be the one holding us up' is the point.

Certainly 'to get the short end of the stick' is an unrelated idiom meaning to get shafted--anyway, it made me laugh both times but I think I managed to keep my smile to myself. Maybe there's some related expression in romanian that she is partially translating or something

• Options
    so I avoid it now

maybe it's not my brand exactly but taking a lot of steps to avoid GI distress is a big part of my life

sadly it's not always effective but I am always making the attempt and sort of stressing out about it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Pete Davidson is the living embodiment of someone who made a deal with the devil.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    so I avoid it now

maybe it's not my brand exactly but taking a lot of steps to avoid GI distress is a big part of my life

sadly it's not always effective but I am always making the attempt and sort of stressing out about it.

;.;

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    5ilzjf86mjte.png

Zavian on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    A new and mysterious wrong idiom appeared from my boss multiple times today:

"I have a lot of work left to do on [document] so I will be the long end of the stick" by which she means "I will be the rate-limiting step" or uh I can't think of an actual idiom that actually means this, but 'I will be the one holding us up' is the point.

Certainly 'to get the short end of the stick' is an unrelated idiom meaning to get shafted--anyway, it made me laugh both times but I think I managed to keep my smile to myself. Maybe there's some related expression in romanian that she is partially translating or something

I read an article recently that had a related idea
    Fast forward to today, where a similar form of language contact involving Spanish and English has been going on in Miami since the end of the Cuban Revolution in 1959.

it sounds in addition to taking loan words from one language or the other like in spanglish, these speakers are also doing more direct translations of spanish idioms into english maybe like what you've got with your boss

look at this fucking delightful little story
    Second, as people learned English, they tended to translate directly from Spanish. These translations are a type of borrowing that linguists call “calques.”

Calques are all over the English language.

Take “dandelion.” This flower grows in central Europe, and when the Germans realized they didn’t have a word for it, they looked to botany books written in Latin, where it was called dens lionis, or “lion’s tooth.” The Germans borrowed that concept and named the flower “Löwenzahn” – a literal translation of “lion’s tooth.” The French didn’t have a word for the flower, so they too borrowed the concept of “lion’s tooth,” calquing it as “dent de lion.” The English, also not having a word for this flower, heard the French term without understanding it, and borrowed it, adapting “dent de lion” into English, calling it “dandelion.”

and then some examples
    For example, we found people to use expressions such as “get down from the car” instead of “get out of the car.” This is based on the Spanish phrase “bajar del carro,” which translates, for speakers outside of Miami, as “get out of the car.” But “bajar” means “to get down,” so it makes sense that many Miamians think of “exiting” a car in terms of “getting down” and not “getting out.”

Locals often say “married with,” as in “Alex got married with José,” based on the Spanish “casarse con” – literally translated as “married with.” They’ll also say “make a party,” a literal translation of the Spanish “hacer una fiesta.”

We also found “semantic calques,” or loan translations of meaning. In Spanish, “carne,” which translates as “meat,” can refer to both all meat, or to beef, a specific kind of meat. We discovered local speakers saying “meat” to refer specifically to “beef” – as in, “I’ll have one meat empanada and two chicken empanadas.”
    We found that some expressions were used only among the immigrant generation – for example, “throw a photo,” from “tirar una foto,” as a variation of “take a photo.”

https://theconversation.com/linguists-have-identified-a-new-english-dialect-thats-emerging-in-south-florida-205620

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    I forgot that ESO had it's expansion, Necrom.

• Options
    tosoraktosorak Registered User regular
    I've heard people refer to a task that will take the most time and/or on the critical path as 'long pole in the tent'. Though usually that's referring to the task, not the person performing it. That could be what she's thinking of

• Options
    tosorak wrote: »
    I've heard people refer to a task that will take the most time and/or on the critical path as 'long pole in the tent'. Though usually that's referring to the task, not the person performing it. That could be what she's thinking of

ohhh I haven't heard that much, if ever, but that absolutely makes sense

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I brought my VHS of ninja scroll legally purchased at the shitty mall anime store( that is now a giant Amazon cube distribution center) to a friends house in tenth grade.

He very blatantly left and came back with a flush face from an obvious JO break.

• Options
    Or a heavy poop brought on by anime tiddies.

• Options
    What chat is this?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    What chat is this?

The boring one.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    pptych7yl1ml.png

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Alexandier wrote: »
    What chat is this?

The boring one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DCXVpha8YA

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    A man dressed like a chat

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Didn't they include this video with Windows 95? Weezer.
    https://youtu.be/kemivUKb4f4

Krathoon on
  • Options
    That was definitely on my first home PC, a Packard Bell with 128mb of ram.

Along with a weird spiderman cartoon maker.

• Options
    I remember Win95 had some cool extra shit with it. I will have to try installing it some time.

• Options
    This friend in college got a Pentium with Windows 95. I was so jealous. Thinking back, that probably cost him a good wad of money.

That was back when Pentiums were brand new.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I took some ZzzQuil. It seems to be working. Starting to feel tired.

Here is a good guide to setting up Win95 in PCem with Voodoo2 graphics.
    edit: That guide I posted turned out to be crappy. There are better ones out there.

I already got one setup with Win98 SE with Voodoo3 graphics.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Pie, did Tau ever catch on? I just thought that we should be coming up on Tau day here shortly.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Fun fact. Not all Win95 discs had the Weezer video.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Fun fact. Not all Win95 discs had the Weezer video.

I thought I was going nuts.

This discussion has been closed.