As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Mario Strikers

• Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I just added everyone, so lets get rollin! ... or scoring, would be more appropriate I guess

To postenl: I haven't had any problems yet, but that was earlier today so who knows now ...

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If I hadn't just had a hundred some odd dollars go up in smoke thanks to my car breaking down, I'd be online with the rest of you... bah...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    Haven't played it for about a month, and I won almost every game I played. It just starts to get really frustrating once you get past the initial awesome factor and realise you're stuck playing the same cheap crap over and over again.
    There are no cheap counters. The basic hit/sliding tackle/shoot an item is all you've got, and there isn't really anyway of exploiting those mechanics.

Also if anyone wants to try a transatlantic game I'm around for a while (I'm also not a cheap bastard).
    If you're not a cheap bastard, then how did you win almost every game you played?

Zek on
  • Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A few more tips in addition to Rami's:

If you've got a guy that can teleport (Dry bones, Waluigi, and Daisy), try chipping the ball (Z) near the sidelines towards the goal. Every chip will charge up the ball and your character will usually outrun whoever is after you since the ball won't exactly be in your possession to slow you down.

Once you reach the corner, you can try to feint directly into the goal, but it's easier to hit the goal-side wall and feint straight upwards. Note the color of the ball to judge the needed distance to skip past the goalie. Immediately hit B to kick the ball in or move inside. Your opponent will probably learn about what you will do, but if they've got a lot of slower guys, it'll be hard for them counter. For example, they may move someone right next to the goalie to tackle you asap, but there's a chance the ball will get knocked into the goal. This is also a sure-fire way to beat the hardest AI as they never learn. It might just be my imagination, but I think Dry bones is the best for this cause I think he feints like a quarter second quicker.

Dry bone's special is great, but not a guarenteed way to score because of the nature of it. First dry bones has to pull off the shot, then the ball has to rebound back to him (usually the case), then he has to hit the ball over the goalie (Z + B). If you see an enemy dry bones do this, you can either tackle dry bones during the first or second phase or move somebody right near the goal to kick the ball out. Since the headbutt shot is usually slow, kicking/passing the ball out can often work. However, dry bones could pass it to a teammate on the rebound and do a kick in. The pass is especially a must the more vertical Dry bones is to the goal. If you have a teammate, you can try to have him move towards the goal to shoot it in in the case that the ball hits the goal and bounces out.

DK is simply a ridiculous captain for the reasons Rami mentioned. He has incredible map presence because of his lounge, and his relatively high chance to shoot goals with little charge makes him annoying to play against. Get maybe two passers like Boo and a power shooter like Hammer Bros and you've got an annoying team for 1v1. Have the Boos in the back to charge up the ball (maybe between eachother), pass forward to DK/Hammer, and spam B to shoot it. While it's like rolling a dice every time, I don't think it takes all that much to play DK compared to other captains. Don't get me wrong though, I've had my ass handed to me by a few DK players that had varied strats/teams.

My favorite captain is probably Waluigi. His long slide is amazing for taking back the ball and he is super fast. In addition, you have a higher change to get a orange megastrike because low-power captains (Daisy, Waluigi, and Princess) have a wider orange/green "margin". For example, DK's orange margin looks like it's a single bar. It's really tough to pull off megastrikes against good people since the amount of time it takes is huge. So the best chance to pull of a megastrike is to attempt a 4/Orange because it takes relatively little time. The time between the first B press (for the #) and the second (for the speed) is short, so if you learn the basic timing, 4/Oranges won't be too difficult. Plus, in my opinion, it's (slightly) more difficult to block four oranges than six greens; except you can more frequently pull off 4/Oranges.

I'll post some shorter tips if any comes to mind. I don't have a wireless router to play any time soon, but I'm looking forward to playing some of you instead of nameless people. I used to play as "Pink Bunny", "Yoshie Plz", and "Cpt. Lag" if anyone has played me before. Cpt. Lag was a name I made because I live in the US and was playing with the UK version... ahem. But now that I've got a copy of the US version, my advantage in frequent megastrikes will dwindle =/

poliku on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Haven't played it for about a month, and I won almost every game I played. It just starts to get really frustrating once you get past the initial awesome factor and realise you're stuck playing the same cheap crap over and over again.
    There are no cheap counters. The basic hit/sliding tackle/shoot an item is all you've got, and there isn't really anyway of exploiting those mechanics.

Also if anyone wants to try a transatlantic game I'm around for a while (I'm also not a cheap bastard).
    If you're not a cheap bastard, then how did you win almost every game you played?

Because I'm really good.

I use Birdo, Toad and Dry Bones with Daisy as captain.

I could count the number of people I've played against who use a diverse player range on one hand. Like I said, most people pick one cheap goal and run with it. In a couple of weeks you can expect to just be playing teams of dry bones/toads.

Most of my losses are against teams of Diddy + Toads who just run the ball into the next every 15 seconds.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's little point to scoring more than ten goals a game because the ranking doesn't award you for more than that. My friend and I have a single game record of 64-0 in 2v2. Our opponents gave up in the second game after our first megastrike. It took us something like 15 minutes to finish the game. One of the opponents picked up their controllers during the game, but needless to say, dropped it again. It was a waste of time, so I don't recommend anyone doing it.

You can give your opponent pity points by running someone who isn't slow directly at the goalie and then do like a U dip towards the sides of the goal and into it. For some reason, I've had people disconnect on me after giving them a few points =).

poliku on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Has anyone else had problems staying connected?? Of the 4 matches I started, I was able to finish 1, got a second to the third match, had one game drop in the second match. Is it the network now or just my Wii and wifi??

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Because I'm really good.

I could count the number of people I've played against who use a diverse player range on one hand. Like I said, most people pick one cheap goal and run with it. In a couple of weeks you can expect to just be playing teams of dry bones/toads.

Most of my losses are against teams of Diddy + Toads who just run the ball into the next every 15 seconds.

So if you're good, you can use the worst captain and no lame strats and still win regularly?

I really don't see what you're complaining about, besides the players themselves.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I haven't seen anyone use Diddy yet, what is the big cheapo that he has? I saw a few people stack their teams with toads but it has never worked out in their favor (el squasho) ... am I missing something?

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't seen anyone use Diddy yet, what is the big cheapo that he has? I saw a few people stack their teams with toads but it has never worked out in their favor (el squasho) ... am I missing something?

i just lost a random match against someone who would flip over my keeper with Diddy; he only pulled it off twice. The rest of the time it was nothing but Birdo spam. I *finally* won at least one game, but lost the series; it's a good feeling knowing that they were two actual goals. He didn't have anything without his Diddy/Birdo spam.

Also, thanks all for the comments above re: cinematic skipping; I wasn't sure if I was being oversensitive and pouty because I was getting my ass kicked or not. :)

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still love the game. Yes, there are some cheap shots, and yes, Rami is ridiculously good but it's still damn fun if you don't take it too seriously.

As for the world cup, are we all ok for early-ish to mid august, give folks plenty of time to practice and get on the same level (I, however, will undoubtedly get no chance to practice and come last...again)?

I'll post up the op a bit later on, unless someone else wants to take charge?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LeRoyLeRoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok nice to read that the US boys got their game now.
    Too bad I lend a friend my copy. It will take some days to get it back.
    If that is the case I will ad all the guys in the wiki and put myself in the list.
    Furthermore I will await the moment Mr. Grinch will post the World Cup Thread and join in. That is if Mr. Grinch is still semiorganising the WC.

LeRoy on
    Mario Stürmer Aufgeladen Fußball:
    Friend Code 064 526 171 784
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Because I'm really good.

So if you're good, you can use the worst captain and no lame strats and still win regularly?

I really don't see what you're complaining about, besides the players themselves.

I disagree with Daisy beeing the worst captain - her teleport ability can be an effective way to score goals, she has a long tackle range and her special can stun the goalkeeper, the ball drops on the ground and you get a guaranted hit.

But try playing with Peach instead if you want an extremly frustrating gaming experience. She was my first team captain, but as soon as I had unlocked Piranha I switched characters and never looked back

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    If you are about to win a game but suddenly lose the connection, it's because of the other guy cutting it.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    If you are about to win a game but suddenly lose the connection, it's because of the other guy cutting it.

which happens every second game my case - but only if I'm winning

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's why I largely only play against folks on here.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Because I'm really good.

I disagree with Daisy beeing the worst captain - her teleport ability can be an effective way to score goals, she has a long tackle range and her special can stun the goalkeeper, the ball drops on the ground and you get a guaranted hit.

But try playing with Peach instead if you want an extremly frustrating gaming experience. She was my first team captain, but as soon as I had unlocked Piranha I switched characters and never looked back

I've also played a few Daisy players that lob the ball at the edge of the centre circle in the opponents half. If the keeper is off his line this has a great chance of lobbing him altogether. Another cheap tactic!

Also people who disconnect just before you win need to be shot. They still get the loss for disconnecting - all they are doing is denying you the points for the win. You still get your points for your goals though.

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cullen wrote: »
    Also people who disconnect just before you win need to be shot. They still get the loss for disconnecting - all they are doing is denying you the points for the win. You still get your points for your goals though.

No, I think if you disconnect you don't get a loss

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Well I have when I DC'd when the batteries on my remote ran out early in the match - I didn't have any spares charged up so didn't see the point in continuing. I've also DC'd before the match starts when I was called away. I got a loss for this too. I guess this prevents you from checking out the opponents record and then deciding not to play them if they are good.

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well I have when I DC'd when the batteries on my remote ran out early in the match - I didn't have any spares charged up so didn't see the point in continuing. I've also DC'd before the match starts when I was called away. I got a loss for this too. I guess this prevents you from checking out the opponents record and then deciding not to play them if they are good.

are we talking about shuting down the Wii or manually disconnecting on the PC? Because I'm pretty sure the latter doesn't give you a loss

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, does this game have a lobby where you can see everyone that's online? Tell me it's not just MKDS's online again.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Hey, does this game have a lobby where you can see everyone that's online? Tell me it's not just MKDS's online again.

It has a sort of lobby. It's not MKDS at all, but there's still room for improvement. At any rate, I'm happy, it shows that Nintendo's improving their Friend Code management system. Soon enough, if they keep making it better and better with every game, it won't be a pain in the ass anymore and might end up to be almost superior to Live tags. Now you got different "Live tags" depending what game you're playing.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

It has a sort of lobby. It's not MKDS at all, but there's still room for improvement. At any rate, I'm happy, it shows that Nintendo's improving their Friend Code management system. Soon enough, if they keep making it better and better with every game, it won't be a pain in the ass anymore and might end up to be almost superior to Live tags. Now you got different "Live tags" depending what game you're playing.
    I really doubt it. To make it superior to Live, you'd need a universal friend list, with messaging and being able to see your friends' status at all times, not to mention voice chat. I don't see that level of online integration happening with the Wii, unfortunately. Maybe Nintendo's next system. I agree they are getting better, though.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh heavens yes. Finally got the chance to play last night after the game was burning a hole in my pocket all day at work, and it's just as great as I imagined it. :) I ran through the tutorial and played a few offline matches, then went online against one rander and actually had a good time with it -- a pretty fair fight, and in both games I managed to eke out a goal with about 30 seconds left on the clock. It was pretty laggy, though.
    YesNoMu wrote:
    I don't think this got specifically answered, but: Yes, there is a lobby. You can see all of your friends that are online playing the game, and if they're idling in the online menu you can create a game and then send them an invite to it. You still need Friend Codes but it's legions beyond MK:DS and Star Fox Command, that's for sure.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You guys had totally better still be playing this by the 15th.

I got in a couple games last night with a friend, and it's pretty fun.

I do wish the characters were a bit bigger, or that the camera was a bit more zoomed in, but other than that, good times.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

I do wish the characters were a bit bigger, or that the camera was a bit more zoomed in, but other than that, good times.

You can adjust the zoom on the field by going into the visual options. The bigger the number, the closer you are to the action. I put it at 5, because it seemed closest to the original version.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    quovadis13 wrote: »

You can adjust the zoom on the field by going into the visual options. The bigger the number, the closer you are to the action. I put it at 5, because it seemed closest to the original version.

Aha. I figured they'd have something like that, but I didn't have enough time last night to delve too deep. Thanks.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I really doubt it. To make it superior to Live, you'd need a universal friend list, with messaging and being able to see your friends' status at all times, not to mention voice chat. I don't see that level of online integration happening with the Wii, unfortunately. Maybe Nintendo's next system. I agree they are getting better, though.

Red'd for pure disagreement. I think that on the contrary, having a friend list sensitive to each game is better, because not all of your friends are going to play all of your games. Having a different list for each game ensures that I'll have a lot of friends who share the same interests regardless of the game.

Djiem on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just added everyone who's on the wiki page - Add me back and let's play if anyone's around.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone else take several minutes to download stats when they go online? And then sometimes have the game petulantly "disconnect" you after a best-of-three series and not update your stats?

Cuz I can't decide if this is my wireless connection or if it's the game. Any way to judge your own signal strength?

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I need to stop reading this thread until I move into my new place.

It is filling me with GENERIC RAGE.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Red'd for pure disagreement. I think that on the contrary, having a friend list sensitive to each game is better, because not all of your friends are going to play all of your games. Having a different list for each game ensures that I'll have a lot of friends who share the same interests regardless of the game.
    Screw that, just have option to sort the friends into categories or something. Besides, if you can see what they're all playing at any given time, you can find the people who are playing what you want right then, and ignore the ones who aren't.

Basically, I just don't want the hassle of swapping new codes for every game.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I need to stop reading this thread until I move into my new place.

It is filling me with GENERIC RAGE.

The Warrior Within is calling.

Djiem on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm having general connection difficulties with my wii, but the 4-star match I just played was extremely laggy. I really hope that's not how it's always going to be.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I'm having general connection difficulties with my wii, but the 4-star match I just played was extremely laggy. I really hope that's not how it's always going to be.

I was havin some sporadic troubles earlier this morning, I was tryin to play with a fellow PA'er and for some reason the connection kept get cut before we would even enter the match ...

Not to mention that anyone I tried to add on my friend list today comes up with an error stating that their friend code is invalid O_o

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Some matches had some little lag even when connected with 4 stars, some others were completely lag-less. I wouldn't worry too much.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Double_FacesDouble_Faces Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Added myself. Let's jam. I suck.

Double_Faces on
    SSBB Code: 0258 9993 5495
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, good game Gio!
    Also, first victory for me, yay! :D

Djiem on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow, VERY intense. Hadn't seen Peach on the field yet... Loving this!

Trying to be sub-500 on rankings.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If I go up against one MORE scumbag that uses 2 birdos and a shy guy I'm goin postal

WilDPanthA05 on