Options

[Game On] Mario Strikers

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never had problems finding 4 star connection opponents. In fact, on launch day I played for about 2 hours unhindered. However, when the evening rolled around I couldn't even login. Yesterday was flawless though save for a friend match I could NOT get working for the life of me. Kept booting us out with an error code before we got to the "lobby"

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I added my FC on the wiki page. I look forward to being man handled.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The connection picked up for me, hopefully I won't have anymore problems with it. Not too cool to have a few losses when I didn't even get to play anybody.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    postenlpostenl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Is there any way to control where your sidekicks position themselves? I keep a Hammer Bros for offense and the dumbass is always loitering around my goal. He's pretty worthless for defense and it sure would be nice if I could count on him to stay within range of the enemy goal.

Nobody have an answer to this? its been bugging me too.

Also, I think im going to get a usb to Lan adapter as well, do you guys use the nintendo one? I hear theres some others that work with wii that might be cheaper?

postenl on
    Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm having a problem playing with my brother online. When I invite him, it gives me error code 86070 every time. We can't even enter the "lobby" neither of us have problems playing ranked and we have tried opening the Wiis ports and leaving them closed.

Any ideas?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    LaviLavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think you can control them to keep their positions.

As for the Lan Adapter I use Datel that I bought for around 10$ during a special and it works just fine. Depending on where you shop, either one can be more or less expensive.

Lavi on
  • Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is just a guess, since I haven't tried to figure it out, but I think there might be some number of guys the AI thinks should be on the opposite field and a number that stay back for defense. Since the Hammer Bros. are slow and aren't really used to run to the enemy side with the ball, my guess is that your faster guys are making it to the enemy side before the Hammer Bros. AI. With enough guys on the offense, I think the AI keeps somebody behind or eventually have them move near mid-field. If you have him positioned at the center initially, maybe you could pass/chill around while the AI moves him to offense?

poliku on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Anybody want to play? I've added everyone in the wiki so far, and I'm up for single or doubles matches.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    GG postenl, the second match was pretty close.

It's kinda weird how the lobby kicks you out after a set, but I guess that's a good way to let the other player host the game.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    oh just throw my suckiness in my face by being a good winner. GLOAT damn you!

but it was fun, did you have a lot of lag in the first part of the first game too? im still trying to figure out if that messes me up or if it slows both sides down.

postenl on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    postenl wrote: »
    oh just throw my suckiness in my face by being a good winner. GLOAT damn you!

but it was fun, did you have a lot of lag in the first part of the first game too? im still trying to figure out if that messes me up or if it slows both sides down.
    Bah, you picked up your game :) it was just that very first match...

I didn't have lag with you, so maybe that can account for some of it. I did notice that on one game today - I was lagging so bad I couldn't react to any of the moves, and the other guy seemed to do everything fine. Hopefully that gets ironed out, cus it sucks.

I'll probably be back on in an hour or two, if anybody's interested.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Whenever Meta isn't playing you guys it's because he's getting destroyed by me in non-internet multiplayer. His skills can't even compare to mine.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you are having networking problems, try using the usb connect. Since buying mine I have been able to stay connected non-stop for hours at a time.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just wanted to add my fc here. 150430687140

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I really suck at defense. I don't understand how people are always right there to hit my guys as soon as they receive a pass even when they are off screen. when I switch players after someone passes I am rarely close enough to hit them before they have a chance to do anything. what am I not getting here?

postenl on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just picked up this game and it kicks so much ass that... wow.

Any general tips for a newer player? :)

EDIT: Whoops, it'd probably be best to go back through the thread first. :P Looking at some of the tips earlier and I'm definitely going to implement those. I'll be adding my FC to the Wiki when I get access to my Wii again.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Whenever Meta isn't playing you guys it's because he's getting destroyed by me in non-internet multiplayer. His skills can't even compare to mine.
    We call this step denial. After you conquer that, you get to enjoy drowning your sorrows in raging alcoholism.

Adding you fanciestwalnut.

postenl, I'd say part of it is predicting where the ball is going, and the other part is...idk.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really suck at defense. I don't understand how people are always right there to hit my guys as soon as they receive a pass even when they are off screen. when I switch players after someone passes I am rarely close enough to hit them before they have a chance to do anything. what am I not getting here?

Are you pressing A too early? I think one of your players will automatically try to cover the receiver, but if you control him too soon you'll be leaving him motionless when he would otherwise be going towards the ball. But yeah, I have that problem a lot too.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ah, thats possible. will give it a try, thanks

postenl on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just played against a player who used the cheapest tactic I`ve seen in the game so far:

He had Peach, 2 Drybones and Boo. Whenever he got an item, he would use Drybone's deke to teleport through my defense line and then use his items to stun my players and the special attack to score a goal. When he was in the lead. he would turtle in his side of the field, using Boo to evade my attempts to get the ball back and Peach's ability to win more time. Worst part about this was that I couldn't do anything against this, just trying to catch the ball and avoiding fouls.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Are you pressing A too early? I think one of your players will automatically try to cover the receiver, but if you control him too soon you'll be leaving him motionless when he would otherwise be going towards the ball. But yeah, I have that problem a lot too.

There's more. I'm a very nervous A-button abuser. If I switch to the closest guy to the ball and then switch again to someone else (something I mistakenly do often), I take control of a few of my guys and I send them around. This means that some of my opponents are not guarded by anyone for a short period of time.

Djiem on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game pisses me off because of how hard it is. I miss the old strikers that I use to rape goats at.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How far you dodge depends on how charged the ball is. You can charge the ball in one spot without taking a shot by holding down shoot and then before the shot is taken, hit "A" to pass to another player. If you dodge now, it'll go further.

I'm just let down we can't do a world cup.

-sulks-

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If anyone is having any problems staying connected, I cannot recommend the USB Lan adapater enough. That has got to be the best $30 I've spent in a long time. I don't have troubles connecting anymore, and games run much smoother/lag-free. I've played in multiple matches that ran as fast as offline games.

And now that I've had about 40 or so games online, I'm loving it more and more. I haven't seen any 'cheap' tactics whatsoever; just lots and lots of different strategies. I think that's what makes this so cool, how players try to invent their own tactics. There's nothing that can't be countered by good play, being smart, or using your own advantage. The trickiest strategy I've seen thus far is using Diddy Kong as captain, and then charging up a super shot inside the Red Card. Even if you can manage to hit him before it goes off, you still lose half or more of your team for a pretty lengthy period of time. But again, it's definitely beatable.

archonwarp wrote: »
    I love this in single player, but I hate the online. Every stupid motherfucker uses the same annoying strategy: Arch pass the ball back and forth till it's white hot, go in for a shot. I don't fucking care how "good" you think it makes you, it's just fucking irritating. I think there's a flaw in the AI where it makes it almost impossible to force-hit all of their dudes while they're doing this to. I would almost consider this a glitch akin to wavedashing, but I think that's a bit premature to call. Either way, I'm pissed for a few reasons:

Why the fuck can't there be a normal, non-chaotic level? I loved peach dome in the first one (save for bowser, who fucking ruined the game). There is a bit of slowdown here at there; that's a sign, Nintendo, you have too much scatterbrained shit going on. I hate how hard it is to score a goal without powering up to white. I hate how hard it is to do a onetimer, yet an AI player or skilled motherfucker can dash through your goaling and score. Is there anything that determines how far you slide/how far you dodge (for example, sometimes I dodge half a screen, other times just 1/8th with the same character).

All in all, I love this game to death, and my love is what forces me to be pissed off with all of the imperfections.

I'll answer in bullet-form:
    1. Lob passing it to charge is a good tactic, especially with some power shooters, but it's pretty easy to counter. Just practice being quick on switching players and then hitting. Sometimes, its near impossible to stop them from getting a shot off though, like if they charge it in the backfield and lob pass a white ball up for a one-timer.

2. The maps are randomly selected, and a lot of times you'll end up on the "Classic" levels, which are from the old game. These don't have any fireballs or flying cows or anything like that.

3. Lag can be pretty bad, but I haven't experienced any yet that wasn't network related. If that's the cause, again, get the USB Lan adapater :D

4. A lot of people here complain about DK's "30% chance" of scoring on a quick shot (no charge). It's definitely possible to score without a skill shot or even a powered up shot, it's just a luck based thing. To improve your chances though, use someone who has max shooting stats.

5. The amount of charge on the ball determines the length of a deke. A strategy I've found is to take Toad in the backfield, and depending on proper positioning (space infront or near slow players) do a Z chip infront of me, which charges the ball, then head straight for the keeper and jump him.

I don't think those are flaws in the game (could be wrong, of course), just understandably frustrating things when you're on the receiving end :D

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Wait, your AI characters move towards the ball? Lucky you. Mine seem to think it's carrying some kind of viurs.

Man, this game is fun. Right up until you hit the third 'level' of challenges. One minute to make up five goals, and even if you do somehow manage to pull off a mega strike (which is quite near impossible), the goalie will block most of them, regardless of 'speed'. Am I missing something?

I need to get my online back, because the computer is a bastard. all the matches I've played against my human friends have been a blast, but damned if the computer won't let me do ANYTHING on the higher levels, yet my computer controlled teamates still appear to be as stupid as ever.

Could be that I just suck, I guess. We'll see when I get the chance to play some people online, I guess. Playing humans is MUCH more enjoyable.

e: And don't get me wrong, I love the mechanics of the game, I don't really see any 'faults'. It's a complete blast (and oftentimes, tense as hell) playing human opponents. It's just playing the higher level AI opponents that's pissing me off royally.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    And don't get me wrong, I love the mechanics of the game, I don't really see any 'faults'. It's a complete blast (and oftentimes, tense as hell) playing human opponents. It's just playing the higher level AI opponents that's pissing me off royally.

The higher level AI makes me scream.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    And don't get me wrong, I love the mechanics of the game, I don't really see any 'faults'. It's a complete blast (and oftentimes, tense as hell) playing human opponents. It's just playing the higher level AI opponents that's pissing me off royally.

The higher level AI makes me scream.

The thing is, I wouldn't call it 'cheap', but the computer is just really good at playing the game. Better than me, anyway.

I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

But man, I spent a good hour straight trying to get through Yoshi's '5 goals behind' challenge. It is the first time I've held a Wii controller with rage in my heart. A deep burning rage. Like, the guy from 300 rage. I've never thrown a controller in a fit of anger (not since I was much younger, anyway), but I was damn close. From what I've read, I guess I need to rely on items more. More specifically, the star.

Hopefully I'll get better one day.

e: And I have a special message to whoever made the decision to make the player start all over at the Fire Cup if they want to change characters, but I don't think it'd be safe to read at work, or in the privacy of your own home.

Nickle on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    e: And I have a special message to whoever made the decision to make the player start all over at the Fire Cup if they want to change characters, but I don't think it'd be safe to read at work, or in the privacy of your own home.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Getting defeated in a cup is crushing, there's a powerfull sense of loss when it happens. Last night I was against Diddy Kong for the Crystal Cup, tied 1-1 in the best of three, narrowly lost the last one. Now I've got to start all over again, sigh.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    Getting defeated in a cup is crushing, there's a powerfull sense of loss when it happens. Last night I was against Diddy Kong for the Crystal Cup, tied 1-1 in the best of three, narrowly lost the last one. Now I've got to start all over again, sigh.

I hate having to start over from the beginning. It would be nice if you could continue from the elimination round and not have to go through the round robin again. I've lost in the elimination round a couple times and I get so angry at having to go through the entire thing again that I can't play for the rest of the day.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ha, and having Diddy and his fucking red card as the final on Crystal Cup is just irritating. I restarted from the crystal cup twice as I found I liked different captains, but once I went through with DK it was a breeze. The AI on the hardest difficulty reminds me of all Nintendo AI - hard, cheap, and heavily overpowered. I was playing the comp in VS, and he got his super power as soon as the game started, then again right after he scored the first goal. Not cool at all.

One thing I'm noticing is that most people don't slide tackle enough. It's much quicker for getting the ball and less likely to give away an item. Save tackles for screwing up a pass if you can't intercept the ball. Also, don't rely on pass-charging the ball and quick-shooting it. If you want better luck take the time to charge your shot, even just a little.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Ha, and having Diddy and his fucking red card as the final on Crystal Cup is just irritating. I restarted from the crystal cup twice as I found I liked different captains, but once I went through with DK it was a breeze. The AI on the hardest difficulty reminds me of all Nintendo AI - hard, cheap, and heavily overpowered. I was playing the comp in VS, and he got his super power as soon as the game started, then again right after he scored the first goal. Not cool at all.

One thing I'm noticing is that most people don't slide tackle enough. It's much quicker for getting the ball and less likely to give away an item. Save tackles for screwing up a pass if you can't intercept the ball. Also, don't rely on pass-charging the ball and quick-shooting it. If you want better luck take the time to charge your shot, even just a little.

I don't hit people enough. I only actually hit someone if I must, as the slide tackle is just much more useful. I do wish there was a way to intercept lob passes that didn't involve the same button used to switch characters, though. One of my friends has taken up the 'lob pass constantly' strategy, until I just start taking out his players.

The only real problem I've had with the game so far, aside from the AI difficulty, is the fact that my teamates never seem to know what the hell is going on. I've watched them run at the ball, only to turn away and ignore it, far too many times. Also, they don't seem to understand the finer nuances of 'offense' and 'defense'. The computer is a finely oiled machine, while my team consists of me, and three other guys who don't know what the fuck.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I don't hit people enough. I only actually hit someone if I must, as the slide tackle is just much more useful. I do wish there was a way to intercept lob passes that didn't involve the same button used to switch characters, though. One of my friends has taken up the 'lob pass constantly' strategy, until I just start taking out his players.

The only real problem I've had with the game so far, aside from the AI difficulty, is the fact that my teamates never seem to know what the hell is going on. I've watched them run at the ball, only to turn away and ignore it, far too many times. Also, they don't seem to understand the finer nuances of 'offense' and 'defense'. The computer is a finely oiled machine, while my team consists of me, and three other guys who don't know what the fuck.

Yeah, finding a good balance between tackling and sliding is important. And yes, the z+a move is really awkward. Half the time I find myself trying to do z+dpad instead, since it makes more sense and I don't want to push A :P

One of the things that really sucks is that when you switch to a player, they'll either stop completely, or sometimes even keep doing what they were beforehand. I really wish there were some...gambits, or something that you could tweak for your sidekicks to define how they act. When you're charging for a super strike they really shouldn't be running around in circles halfway across the field. Ah well, that's why playing against real people that don't spam the same dumb moves over and over still pwns.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, the slide is much more useful than the tackle. The only time to tackle someone is when you're intentionally fouling them, i.e. you need to stop them from receiving a pass. If you want to intercept the ball without accidentally switching characters, just use Z+A instead.

My big beef with the game is also the AI. I understand that you're basically supposed to control everybody yourself, but they don't even know how to position themselves. All I expect of the slow heavy-hitter sidekicks is to sit their asses on the other side of the field to receive passes and shoot, but instead they're always on defense where they're too freaking sluggish to stop shots or intercept passes. I can't get them on offense unless I personally run across the field with them spamming their dekes. I guess it's because the fast sidekicks get to the other half first, and the rest stay on defense to balance it out? All they had to do was let you assign sidekicks to field positions.

Zek on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

This is exactly my problem as well. Or it is at least where I shift the blame to all of my losses. I really wish I could figure this game out, but I keep getting frustrated and end up putting it down after 20 minutes of play. I WANT TO LOVE YOU MARIO STRIKERS.. IF ONLY YOU LET ME! :|

Shens on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ugh, I was playing on the ship level, I go to pass the ball with a player close to the opposing goal and the ball gets passed to no one, in the middle, and proceeds to roll into my goal. Great. Then I beat the kid, whose only point is the one I score for him, and he disconnects after that match.

Somebody from here play me :P

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    The best goal I ever scored happened when the opponents goalie had left the box to go get the ball. Because im an idiot I was just standing in the goalie box, and when the goalie returned with the ball he whacked me over the head and somehow he drops the ball and it rolled into the net. I was pretty proud of that, seeing as how usually in that situation I am trying to tackle the goalie as hes going for the ball...

postenl on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, finding a good balance between tackling and sliding is important. And yes, the z+a move is really awkward. Half the time I find myself trying to do z+dpad instead, since it makes more sense and I don't want to push A :P

One of the things that really sucks is that when you switch to a player, they'll either stop completely, or sometimes even keep doing what they were beforehand. I really wish there were some...gambits, or something that you could tweak for your sidekicks to define how they act. When you're charging for a super strike they really shouldn't be running around in circles halfway across the field. Ah well, that's why playing against real people that don't spam the same dumb moves over and over still pwns.

If I had a dollar for everytime I got single green shell / 3x or 5x bananas (WOOHA) compared to the computer getting their special/ 3x ice / 3x spikey / Star, I would be a rich S.O.B. I never get a star EVER, I understand you have to be losing to get one, but how much do I have to be getting my ass kicked to get one. Sorry about the frustration, but losing 2x in the elminination against Diddy will do that to a man. My biggest gripe is how the computer can defend its megastrikes (i.e. have a teammate attack you while your trying to interupt), when that is not a possibility for a Human unless he has a friend playing. Put me in the frustrated, but addicted boat. Nonetheless the game is a blast against other humans.

Brue on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    GG djiem, cheese, and postenl. They were all really close!

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    mmm just picked up ethernet adapter, so much better. don't know why nintendo thought wireless would be good enough to handle games.

postenl on