Options

Its the Uncanny {Marvel Tv-shows} thread

Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
So, not satisfied with conquering cinema. Marvel has decided to make Tv Shows set in their MCU.
This is a thread for discussing those shows.
aka shows like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dug56u8NN7g
Or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EX0f6V11Y
And maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYb3B1ETlk
You can even discuss the Netflix shows if you want.

This however is off limits as its obviously not a MCU show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T-evQZiQo

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
Kipling217 on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    No AoS, no sale.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Loki is off to a pretty solid start this season. Only marvel show since Jessica Jones to have interested me. She Hulk had promise, but, got bogged down in trying to be too many things at once. Loki is the only one of the recent crop which has kept my attention solidly for a whole season. Honestly, the only multiverse related thing in general that I've enjoyed.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Loki is off to a pretty solid start this season. Only marvel show since Jessica Jones to have interested me. She Hulk had promise, but, got bogged down in trying to be too many things at once. Loki is the only one of the recent crop which has kept my attention solidly for a whole season. Honestly, the only multiverse related thing in general that I've enjoyed.

Well it does have Tom Hiddlestone and Owen Wilson. A buddy cop duo I would never have thought off and they pull it of amazingly.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    In light of the article the other day about the problems with the Marvel shows in terms of how they are being done, is anyone who has been watching at ALL surprised? I'm pretty confident we've even talked about it from pretty early on in the conception of D+ Marvel TV that these were just like, expanded movies.

• Options
    It's a shame too; they came out of the gate hot with Wandavision, which utilized it's episodic format in a way that really wouldn't work as well in a film, IMO.

Closest we've gotten since then was What If? and that was a (mostly) anthology series.

• Options
    Secret Invasion was obviously fucked by this set-up. It spent far to much time on shit that was of no consequence and its big action sequences(the Motorcade attack) was hurt by not being the focus an act, but only the climax of an episode. There where too many pointless diversions that played no part in the overall story(the sequences on the sub for one if you can remember).

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much of the leak of Marvel's TV process was a combination of "no really, Secret Invasion was a fluke, things will be better now" and ass-covering post-strike. I suspect one of the things the studio agreed to was a protected showrunner and writer's room setup. Granted their old method was borderline insane and it's a minor miracle She-Hulk worked as well as it did, then again even with the method their results were pretty strong.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Really liking Loki so far.
    My guy, you go through this tirade about how horrible this dude is, and you can't see that he can still be that horrible? What were you expecting?
    Also, Morpheous, go find out who you might have been. It doesn't invalidate who you are.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    My guy, you go through this tirade about how horrible this dude is, and you can't see that he can still be that horrible? What were you expecting?
    Also, Morpheous, go find out who you might have been. It doesn't invalidate who you are.
    Eh, the dude just discovered his entire existence, which he thought was divinely instigated and unimpeachably just, was a complete sack of horseshit. Let him deal with one giant mindscrew at at time.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Eh, the dude just discovered his entire existence, which he thought was divinely instigated and unimpeachably just, was a complete sack of horseshit. Let him deal with one giant mindscrew at at time.
    Yea, seriously, there's a time crisis to deal with, he can get on with a normal life later, and plus he has a cool name already. I can see why Brad would rather be himself than fucking nameless X-5 the stromtrooper for the time gestapo

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    They're definitely holding who mobius is In Normal Life back as a joke/reveal.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    It's Mephisto.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    It's Mephisto.

I'm still holding out for The Rani where a jet ski holds their memories.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    I do wonder if Morpheus already knows who he was on the Sacred Timeline and prefers who he is in the TVA.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think the dichotomy he brings up in this episode is the right way to handle it. He's scared to find out because the issue isn't if it is bad, it's if it is good.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think it would be an interesting semi-twist if it turned out one character that works in the TVA was not a variant, but instead was actually created like they all were told they were. Showing that He Who Remains could have done what he claimed he did, but didn't bother because just stealing variants was easier.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nah, I'm pretty sure his fascination with jetskis stems from his life in the timeline. They made sure to bring it up again in S2 so I'm just waiting for that Chekov's gun to fire.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm pretty sure his fascination with jetskis stems from his life in the timeline. They made sure to bring it up again in S2 so I'm just waiting for that Chekov's gun to fire.

Oh sure Mobius is almost definitely a variant, as is B-15. But what about OB? What about Casey? Or anybody else, really. Just one non-variant existing in the TVA would be really interesting (to me, at least).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

Oh sure Mobius is almost definitely a variant, as is B-15. But what about OB? What about Casey? Or anybody else, really. Just one non-variant existing in the TVA would be really interesting (to me, at least).

Whoops, for some reason I thought you specifically said Mobius.

Also Mobius, Oroboros. I see you, writers. :D

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

This is OB's second time around (I suspect he will be killed in the past so that they need to send the current one back to fix things) at least for sure. A grandfather paradox that was used in the creation of the TVA the same way they did in Red Dwarf and Misfits.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

This is OB's second time around (I suspect he will be killed in the past so that they need to send the current one back to fix things) at least for sure. A grandfather paradox that was used in the creation of the TVA the same way they did in Red Dwarf and Misfits.

My guess is that the TVA is a cyclical entity and that OB's role is to destroy it to make another one. I mean, he is the TVA, he wrote the book on how everything works, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a section on starting it over again, but maybe it's just not there yet. He has to destroy the thing to keep it alive. Hence the name.

As far as Mobius goes, I dunno; his name implies more importance than just some random variant who had a jetski at some point. I would imagine he plays some role in the persistence of the TVA along with OB, but exactly what I can't even guess.

Though it did cross my mind during the last episode when they brought up New York multiple times, that the vehicles that the Chitauri (and also Loki) rode on aren't terribly dissimilar to jetskis. Maybe he has to ride the time vortex in one each reset and it gets stuck in his head. I mean, we've seen in pretty much every trailer that Loki ends up at a jetski dealership, and I think the assumption we're supposed to take from that is it is Mobius related. It could be a misdirect?

Or it could be a lot more obvious and the name is just a comic reference and nothing to do with his role or importance.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    He Who Remains was...
    ...quite literally He Who Remains. Har har.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    He Who Remains was...

So about that secret,
    Renslayer is a Kang variant?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    He Who Remains was...

So about that secret,
    Makes sense. Loki fell in love with his variant, would explain why Renslayer was so easily warming up to Victor.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    He Who Remains was...

So about that secret,
    Makes sense. Loki fell in love with his variant, would explain why Renslayer was so easily warming up to Victor.

That's what I was thinking, plus with themes of
    being fixated on power and with Sylvia saying wanting to be at the end of time.

Everyone really needs to turn off their Air tags, stop being so easy to find.

Really enjoying this season, location was one I did not expect - Marvel's America is just the two coasts with whatever town Tony crashed in in the middle.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's so weird how Disney puts up so many airballs while putting together a show like Loki.

There's just so much style and set detail and the story has twists and turns that are fun to explore. In S2E3 I really enjoyed:
    What Timely started saying while Sylvie was about to stab him. He just started saying the same shit she's been saying all along. And what I really liked is it was 2-3 minutes after Renslayer had just finished telling Mobius that words were useless now. Words then saved Timely's life.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Victor Timely is such a good name, though.

• Options
    I wonder how they’re planing to go forward portraying him.
    Latest episode
    While he uses the Howard Stark line that he’s limited by the technology of his time, he is a confidence trickster. I wonder if he actually does have any idea how the Time Loom is supposed to function or if he’s bluffing to get access to it to see if he can steal anything to pass off as his own invention while at the TVA.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Loved the first two, this episode was a big fat meh for me.
    I’m just not interested in shenanigans across time and the fancy period sets as much as I am in the central mystery, the end of time, and the TVA.

I also do not find the antagonism between Lokis interesting in the least, it feels very contrived / unconvincing, and the Kangs we’ve seen so far remain utterly uncompelling.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Natalie Holt is absolutely killing it with the soundtrack again. Looking forward to the OST being released.

altid on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    That stutter got old really fast. I liked what Majors did as He Who Remains, but his turns as Rama-Tut and Victor Timely are a huge miss. Quit doing voices, dude, that ain't your strength.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    That stutter got old really fast. I liked what Majors did as He Who Remains, but his turns as Rama-Tut and Victor Timely are a huge miss. Quit doing voices, dude, that ain't your strength.

Yeah, the voices feel very am-dram

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    This variant being in that time doesn't even make any sense, none of the time bullshit gadgets can possibly be that simple to make even if you have instructions. They didn't even really have electricity, let alone electronics and you're telling me all the time travel gadgets have zero circuitry, it's all something I can build with blacksmith's tools if I know how?

At this point it begs the question why is this show afraid to go into the future, pop into 3000 AD Chicago or whenever he's supposed to be from, make your guesses about what crazy nonsense that looks like and have fun with it.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    This variant being in that time doesn't even make any sense, none of the time bullshit gadgets can possibly be that simple to make even if you have instructions. They didn't even really have electricity, let alone electronics and you're telling me all the time travel gadgets have zero circuitry, it's all something I can build with blacksmith's tools if I know how?

At this point it begs the question why is this show afraid to go into the future, pop into 3000 AD Chicago or whenever he's supposed to be from, make your guesses about what crazy nonsense that looks like and have fun with it.

Well
    None of the gadgets he makes *work*. Electricity is a thing in that era too btw

It also provides the reason the TVA has to watch all of time instead of "just kill this guy in every timeline"

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Not sure if doing a bit, but in 1925 half of all homes in the U.S. have electric power.

So a bit more than a smithy combined with the book knowledge and being the right person to understand it was enough.
    At this point it begs the question why is this show afraid to go into the future,

He went the long way, as they say.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Just started the latest ep and the opening music made me smile. They really give a damn about this show, eh?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    When the Loki show goes to Alabama in 2050 it's already being obliterated by a hurricane I feel like if they go to the year 3000 it'll be to show the world flattened by climate change and I feel like doing that will make weirdos on the internet explode.

• Options
    In fairness while everything else didn't do much more than put on a pretty light show, he did make a working, if bulky, version of the TVA disintegrator wand.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Just started the latest ep and the opening music made me smile. They really give a damn about this show, eh?

Not just the opening music. If you pay attention, all the music is era-appropriate. The chase music when Timely tries to escape his mark sounds like it come right out of a silent movie.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

When he started talking for the first time and kept taking giant steps to the side, I thought he was doing a timey wimey bit where he'd activate his machine and everything would replay in a normal sounding way. Nope! Just a stutter, and yeah it got pretty old.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."