As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

digi-painting noob. :D

PixiefacePixieface Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
Yeah, I'm a noob... round here at least. I tried to post these images to your lovely sketch thread (was fun to look through!) but I think someone must've dropped me on my head as a child, 'cause my post kept showing up... at the beginning? I am probably being a moron and need things spelled out for me. So sorry. :(

But yeah. Some arts. I will probably add to this, but here's two recent ones for starters:

cowboybaybeesmallbj1.jpg

She's a cowboy. No really! Hands and feets need work, I know it, I'm doing a bunch of hands/feet studies at the moment to try and up the hands and feet mojo. :P

gaudismallzb0.jpg

Barcelona, early evening. Palette knives in Corel Painter are rather fun.

Yes. Various recent stuffs. Doing a lot of playing with Corel Painter at the moment. Lots of playing, and nothing very finished... though these are both as finished as they're gonna get. Crits welcome, of course. Always welcome!

And yeah! Hello, art community I've not posted at before! Nice to meet you all! :)

Pixieface on

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I was going to say these didn't really deserve to be in the doodle thread.

I think the second could use more highlights/reflections on the street, but they're both really sweet otherwise.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks bombadier! :) (Can you tell I'm loitering nervously? Why am I nervous? I don't know! Oh gawd...) XD

You are right about the reflections bit - I should have drawn more attention to it. Not only is wet tarmac inherently sexy, but the entire layout of the image hinges around those two triangles of dead/reflective space. So that could do with a touch more emphasis, you are quite right. :D

And err... is it normal for threads to go... backwards like this? Or am I really really being a 'tard? XD It's kinda freaking me out!

Pixieface on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think the sky could do with some color, which in turn would let you work in some more color into those reflections, which would be a nice contrast to the very colorless nearly monochromatic buildings, and thus making the point of interest in the picture that much more interesting.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Some more stuffs. Went through a long spate of doing tons and tons and tons of speedpaints, recently - half hour to hour long things, most of them. Half and half working on a new theory of mine about how I should approach painting, and half and half just trying to get my head around Corel Painter. I'm fairly new to it (read, about six months) - before Painter I was an Open Canvas 1.1 junkie like you wouldn't believe.

So here are a few of the more interesting speedpaints and general things I was playing with:

amicasmallkr0.jpg

Deserty

hermessmalldl4.jpg

Mist = lazy, bad artist. Must try harder. Yuck. Only thing I like about this is the way he is standing. >_<

wreckoi6.jpg

Like this one, though it's shockingly rough-and-ready.

All fairly crap, in my opinion. But I learned things, and speedpaints can be fun. Although I recovered somewhat and am working on some 'proper' stuff now, so that's a relief, I suppose. :D

Pixieface on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Last one for now, before I scuttle off to bed. A very boring face-study. (I need to stop being lazy and painting faces, and try something more challenging. I am very bad).

evieyk1.jpg

Pixieface on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    These are really nice!

Im not too fond of the latest face, but you seem to have some really awesome lights in the rest of them.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bread - you're probably right about the sky, too - it would lend the whole thing more balance if I'd thrown some of that aqua colour into the sky as well as the pavement and various shopwindows and neons and things. I hesitated to do it originally, though, because grey sky is traditionally very grey, and colour exists in the dusk mainly around very human objects, such as the shops. *shrugs* it was a composition call, and possibly a wrong one in retrospect.

Greatnation - thanks! What is it you don't like about the latest face, I wonder? (apart from the fact that it's shockingly boring as an image!)... if you can see anything specific, I'd love to hear it! :)

Pixieface on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love that face :P

Some of the toning is a bit edgy but you have to be a bit picky to dismiss it for that. BUT the eye on the rights to the right nostril does look like a bit of a smudge.

I really cant nitpick though. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, your right when you say its a boring image. Also, some of the rendering on the brow and the bridge of the nose dont really look like the actual forms of a brow or a bridge of a nose.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What is wrong with the blue portrait? The mouth seem to be faced directly towards the camera. i.e. it's on another plane than the rest of the face. I think it's mostly due to the teeth - the middle gap between the frontmost teeth need to be aligned with the center line of the face. The nose-bridge is more tube-shaped than nose-shaped. The bottom part of the nose is probably too small.

I like the cowgirl. :)

Sam :) on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You need to stop being so down on yourself man. At least that's the feeling I'm getting from your posts. Your art is really good in comparison to a lot of artists starting out or whatever. I like the girl on the car the most, it looks the most polished/finished. I'd work on making the backgrounds as detailed as the subjects.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i fucking wish i was that good

XAL on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're too hard on yourself dude, you're pretty good.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sam - yes, you're right. The part where her nose joins her brow is far too tubular, and now you mention it I see it. I still can't see the other things you mention though... so frequently, you spend ages staring at a thing, you can't see your own mistakes any more! :P I think a horizontal flip is in order, that tends to show up the flaws you can't otherwise see. Thank you! Crits are always helpful!

Srsizzy - Thanks. I'm not really starting out, I've been doing the whole art thing for about six years now, so... *shrugs* new here and new(ish) to Corel Painter, anyway! You are right about the backgrounds, and it's another thing I'm working on at the moment. I'm trying to make the entire image a single, coherent thought, and stop seperating background from figure, or lines from colour, or any of the other many, many ways you can seperate your thoughts when making an image and thus lose the coherence of the whole... if that makes any sense? I started out as a comic artist, and like so many of us spent too long working on perfecting the figure and not long enough on the environment - leaves me interestingly skewed in my abilities, at the moment, and I know there are plenty of things I need to work on. :) At the moment I tend not to use lines at all, I'm painting a whole in blocks of colour and moving from the very abstracted to the very... well, more finished. I'm finding linework adversely affects my painty thought-processes. Anyway... painting theory, blah. I'll shut up now.

I like to receive crits, and came here for that reason. All you get at Deviantart (if you're lucky!) is a pat on the butt and... well. Lovely as that is (let nobody tell you they don't enjoy flattery - they are lying!), it's unhelpful as far as improving is concerned. I'm very much of the opinion that the minute you become perfectly happy with your art and stop trying to see and work on the flaws is the moment you become complacent and stop improving. Everyone can improve, and I'm quite determined never to lose sight of that. :D I don't ever want to reach a rut with my art and start thinking to myself "yes, I'm happy! I shall stop criticising myself!".

But thank you all for the kind comments! I won't pretend I don't enjoy praise - everybody does, and it's soothing and reassuring... artists particularly have to grow a thick skin, and I'm tortoise-like when it comes to my art now - nothing hurts me. Doesn't mean I don't like to hear encouragement now and again. So thank you very very much! :D

Might be posting a WIP to the sketch thread shortly. I have issues with drawing libraries and if anyone could help, that'd be bloody marvellous. ;-)

Pixieface on