Options

Only Post in this thread if it’s a day ending in “Y”

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Sorry non-Americans!!! (Except for ones where you have days that end in Y)

Guess this thread isn’t FOR YOU

n77wakalwaej.png

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Even in America days don't end with a capital Y.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Even in America days don't end with a capital Y.

They do in my house, dammit!!

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Pero hoy es viernes!

• Options
    Here in ‘MERICA we speak ‘Merican

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Pero hoy es viernes!

Vierney

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    oi scarnon cunce

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Every day lately ends in a WHY???

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Jueves y mas.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There's a lot of redundancy in our day names

We could just remove the -day bit

Mon
    Tues
    Wednes
    Thurs
    Fri
    Satur
    Sun

Think of the savings!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Mon
    Tues
    Wednes
    Thurs
    Fri
    Satur
    Sun

Think of the savings!

Huge boon to pop music. New rhymes for every day of the week, no overlap. A different party song for every night, entire cosmologies spinning up around the new, canonical, music-backed Vibes of each night.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't understand

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My days usually end in bed.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Mon
    Tues
    Wednes
    Thurs
    Fri
    Satur
    Sun

Think of the savings!

I'm going to Widnes on Wednes to see my aunt Agnes.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Mon
    Tues
    Wednes
    Thurs
    Fri
    Satur
    Sun

Think of the savings!

I'm going to Widnes on Wednes to see my aunt Agnes.

I'll witness.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    You fools and your outdated belief that there are 7 days in a week

What even is a week!

You fools

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This thread reeks of mediocrity

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    This thread reeks of mediocrity

Well yeah. I made it.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    You fools and your outdated belief that there are 7 days in a week

What even is a week!

You fools

There are seven days in a week because there were 7 known celestial bodies - the sun, moon and 5 planets

We've known there are more planets for years and years so we should update the number of days in a week as well

And those additional days should also be part of the weekend

• Options
    Could you imagine the chaos if they tried to make a change to the number of days in a week?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There are some people who are out there enough to believe the Catholics fucked with the concept of time itself or something when Europe switched calendar systems, it's pretty wild to read, would be fun for a fiction work

"According to this scenario, the entire Carolingian period, including the figure of Charlemagne, is a fabrication, with a "phantom time" of 297 years (AD 614–911) added to the Early Middle Ages."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_conspiracy_theory#:~:text=It hypothesises a conspiracy by,claim to the Holy Roman

• Options
    13sbjkyysusk.jpeg

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular

Mon
    Tues
    Wednes
    Thurs
    Fri
    Satur
    Sun

Think of the savings!

Huge boon to pop music. New rhymes for every day of the week, no overlap. A different party song for every night, entire cosmologies spinning up around the new, canonical, music-backed Vibes of each night.

Hey baby it's Mon, yo drop the beat son

You know if it's Tues I'm strapping deuce deuce [sloppy rhyme, sue me]

Wednes, wednes, I cannot believe this

Shawty had them apple bottom jeans (jeans)
    Boots with the fur (yup on Thur)

I have run out of gas, but you get the idea

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love the Phantom Time Conspiracy

It's like someone looked at the concept of the Dark Ages and said, "No, I can make this worse"

• Options
    If I ever really think about time it fucks my brain up.

Time is fucking weird

And fake

But also weird

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    If I ever really think about time it fucks my brain up.

Time is fucking weird

And fake

But also weird

measuring time is wild. because it's all just a human construct. Every single bit is a societal construct we've agreed to share and enforce.

Hours? construct. Seconds? construct. Sure you can look at the motion of an atom and say "when it wobbles twice, that's one second" but none of that is a physical law of the universe.

Time is just our brains needing some kind of measurable value to hang "When is the next thing today?" It's important. Critically so in some scientific experiments. But it's all made up.

Calendars at least have the setting of the sun or the phases of the moon to break into sections; but even then, the number of months in a year or even what a year is are all just made up.

I think that's pretty cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    The actual forward movement through the 4th dimension isn't a human construct though... unless you think about it as only appearing to move through that dimension because of our perception of it that way?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    In Japanese the days are named after various nature things instead of gods - fire, water, wood, metal (gold), and earth - but for whatever reason Sunday and Monday are both exactly the same - Sun and Moon

No idea if that's just the result of coincidental convergence or cultural mixing (and I'm far too busy to find out) but that's a neat little day fact!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    The actual forward movement through the 4th dimension isn't a human construct though... unless you think about it as only appearing to move through that dimension because of our perception of it that way?

I could. I kinda muddled my meaning when I said “measurement of” at the beginning and then just talked about “Time” mostly after.

To be clear, time is (probably) real. But any of the ways we measure it are all just how we agree to break Time down into discrete parts is the point I was working to make.

It feels different than measurements of distance or mass or volume or area because those are all physical things, even if the measurement systems are just as derived as measuring time. Because you can hold a glass or a box but you can’t hold Time.

destroyah87 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Sure but like

There could be 21 hours in a day, which you then divided into 100 minutes each, and maybe each minute is just 10 seconds.

That wouldn't functionally change how the day is, it would just change how it's perceived. We'd complain about our 7 hour workdays, about how the new Marvel movie is over 260 minutes long with no intermission, etc.

The math doesn't really work out on that one to add up cleanly, but you get the idea - while there are measurable things that the modern time system was originally based on, it is in effect largely arbitrary beyond just being entrenched. And I think the further out you get, the weirder things can get and the more perceptually interesting it gets - looking at like, alternate calendars used around the world (or the French Revolutionary calendar, if you want a fun example of how the calendar was directly weaponized historically).

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Just thought of a fun phrasing to encapsulate my point: “Hours, Seconds, and the twenty-four hour day are just as manufactured as the QWERTY keyboard.”

destroyah87 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    When I was four years old the only chunk of time I could parse was "a Ninja Turtles episode." How far away is the doctor's office? A Turtle and a half. How long till the next gas station on this road trip? Well that's at least three Turtles away, little man.

• Options
    I don't have good sourcing for it at the moment, but there's an argument that's been made that our modern conception of time is essentially a product of the industrial revolution

Which is not to say that we didn't have hours and minutes and even seconds (invented in the 1500s, for the record) before then, but rather that they weren't as necessarily important until you had a specific time when you had to clock in at the factory

That is of course a pithy version of the argument, but it's easy to see how those sorts of things wouldn't have mattered before then for many people

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2023
    When I was four years old the only chunk of time I could parse was "a Ninja Turtles episode." How far away is the doctor's office? A Turtle and a half. How long till the next gas station on this road trip? Well that's at least three Turtles away, little man.

I was obsessed with counting and the (very new to me) concept of division when I was 4 or 5-ish. We'd drive between Adelaide and Sydney to visit my grandparents (which in that era, or at least with our car, was at least a 20 hour drive), and I'd while away the darker hours by counting the seconds between the highway side reflector poles and comparing with the speedometer to figure out roughly how far apart they were. (Note for americans - don't be too impressed, this is comparatively easy when you're working in metric)
    It drove me nuts that on the straight bits of highway, which if you know South Australia you know is pretty much the entire highway, they were universally nearly but not quite 100m apart.

(actually they probably were set 100m apart and our speedo was probably fucked - later in my life the plastic needle would sag in the heat and point a good 5-10km/h lower than it was meant to - but that didn't occur to me at the time. I'm now very sorry I never thought of it, it would have brought me tremendous comfort).

tynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I don't have good sourcing for it at the moment, but there's an argument that's been made that our modern conception of time is essentially a product of the industrial revolution

Which is not to say that we didn't have hours and minutes and even seconds (invented in the 1500s, for the record) before then, but rather that they weren't as necessarily important until you had a specific time when you had to clock in at the factory

That is of course a pithy version of the argument, but it's easy to see how those sorts of things wouldn't have mattered before then for many people

I think this is probably an uncontroversial claim, yeah. At least as late as the early 19th century, the only people who really needed to have a very accurate idea of time were sailors, for navigational purposes. (in the european West, anyway).

tynic on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think train timetables had an effect, too

Suddenly things were turning up more reliably than "tomorrow if the roads are good and the horses don't piss about", and it became necessary for 4pm to be 4pm in a greater radius than within eyesight of the town hall clock

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Every day ends with "Why" for me

• Options
    What becomes especially interesting there is like, how much that has become the dominant paradigm.

There are plenty of other all consuming forces that have provided that shaping in our lives - it's often hard to imagine/remember a world without constant internet these days, I know in most of America it's hard to imagine not having at least some access to a car, etc.

But I feel like I can do those in a way that I can't the modern conception of time. That's too difficult to be without, even if it kind of affects me less.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I don't want to post in this thread and you can't make me!

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    If you measure anything with enough granularity it starts to get weird doesn't it?

• Options
    Every now and then I manage to be in a situation where Time Doesn't Really Matter (in the best cases this coincides with a holiday), and it does wonders for your mental health imo.