As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[118th United States Congress] =SUMIF(A1:A435 ">=" 218)

monikermoniker Registered User regular
wso4btcqnj2w.jpg

In Congress:

Our continuing experiment in self government ambles along

United States Senate:
48(D) - 3(I) - 49(R)

The Democratic Coalition has gained one seat to have an actual majority, rather than an even split with a power sharing agreement under Vice President Kamala Harris. Resulting in somewhat more authority throughout committees, to which they have full control over the gavels, and for Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY)

United States House of Representatives:
212(D) - 221(R)

After 15 rounds of voting to elect McCarthy (R-CA-23) Speaker with a minority of the vote, the Republican Conference majority decided to try somebody new. Now Speaker Johnson is learning how to legislate on the job. And here I thought Federal Workforce Training programs were cut

That's quite a government you've got there. What do you call it?

The 118th Congress!

Please keep other thread topic discussion to their relevant threads.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    *pushes imaginary glasses up nose*

Well... technically the US has gone 0 Congresses without an armed insurrection.

The 117th Congress was sworn in on the 3rd of January. And they had an armed insurrection.

The 118th Congress still has just under 14 months left, and while I'd put the chances as low to slim, can't rule it out yet, given the current frontrunner. I doubt he'll wait until January if things don't go well for him in early November.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My congresscritter sucks, she keeps voting with Republicans. I hope someone primaries her.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    My congresscritter sucks, she keeps voting with Republicans. I hope someone primaries her.

Vote [1] Ringo!
    "I'll be your huckleberry."

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

I am begging that Galego crushes Sinema and Lake. Sinema cause she, seemed at the time, the lesser of 2 turd sandwiches. And Lake just because I hate seeing her screeching about things every 2 days.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I approve of this thread title.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I approve of this thread title.

I thought we just had a conversation in another thread about how you would totally be a pedant if someone was talking nonsense about math topics.

Thread title is quite obviously missing a comma (A1:A435, “>=“212).

Also, I guess technically it doesn’t really make sense as a statement since the sum will always be zero since no individual vote is worth at least 212 on its own. Or maybe that’s the joke! I’m sure we could over analyze this more.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say the thread title make me think you all are a big bunch of frigging nerds! 🥰💖

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Think?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the United States Congress, a wretched hive of sums and pivotry...

wait.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Ah yes, the United States Congress, a wretched hive of sums and pivotry...

"But enough talk! More Speaker Votes!"

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    So with 10 days to go until the government shutdown, is congress doing anything at all?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    So with 10 days to go until the government shutdown, is congress doing anything at all?

Passing a bunch of CRs with lunatic, unserious demands that won't pass the Senate and Veto.

Don't expect anything until the last minute to be quite honest.

• Options
    Seeing as we have what, 8 business days to pass a budget, I thought this was the last minute?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Seeing as we have what, 8 business days to pass a budget, I thought this was the last minute?

The last minute doesn't even start until the last day!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Passing a bunch of CRs with lunatic, unserious demands that won't pass the Senate and Veto.

Not even CRs. They have been working through normal appropriation bills.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The last minute is the following Monday after midnight.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

For example on immigration they are demanding:
    DHS is exempt for all laws except the Constitution for searches
    Wall construction and operation specifically also exempt from all laws
    Asylees must enter at the US/Canada border ports or at an airport, and directly. In other words, asylum from Canada/Mexico and any country that has direct flights- no connections!- only
    Ending immigration parole

And on LGBT issues they're adding in equally or worse nasty poison pills

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    You can’t exempt an entity that exists as a result of laws from said laws. Then it just doesn’t exist.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

For example on immigration they are demanding:
    DHS is exempt for all laws except the Constitution for searches
    Wall construction and operation specifically also exempt from all laws
    Asylees must enter at the US/Canada border ports or at an airport, and directly. In other words, asylum from Canada/Mexico and any country that has direct flights- no connections!- only
    Ending immigration parole

And on LGBT issues they're adding in equally or worse nasty poison pills

So, yeah, just all the same fascist plays which leads directly to Nazis. Do not pass Go, do not collect anything other than Nazis on your way there.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I did my final-day canvassing and it was pretty nice! I got to meet some good dogs, talked to someone who was like "how do you think it's gonna go, does it seem good?" and I was like look I have anxiety almost 100% of the time on a good day, I'm doing this specifically to sublimate that into a moderately useful action rather than just stewing in it. Also got to chat with a person who just moved into town about how annoying it was that they were just out of range of the best delivery places.

I really highly recommend that as we gear up for a nightmare year of political shit you avoid keeping up with the play-by-play and just start early on your GOTV efforts. It's orders of magnitude more helpful than just knowing a lot of distressing plates that are currently spinning.

Also if you're really nervous about stuff like phone-banking and canvassing I'm happy to do whatever I can to mitigate that a bit with like a play-by-play how-to of the process. I've been doing it long enough that I've got it down to a science, and when I started I was absolutely vibrating with nerves.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Ah, so what I'm hearing is we're still quite turbofucked. Great, just checking.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    I did my final-day canvassing and it was pretty nice! I got to meet some good dogs, talked to someone who was like "how do you think it's gonna go, does it seem good?" and I was like look I have anxiety almost 100% of the time on a good day, I'm doing this specifically to sublimate that into a moderately useful action rather than just stewing in it. Also got to chat with a person who just moved into town about how annoying it was that they were just out of range of the best delivery places.

I really highly recommend that as we gear up for a nightmare year of political shit you avoid keeping up with the play-by-play and just start early on your GOTV efforts. It's orders of magnitude more helpful than just knowing a lot of distressing plates that are currently spinning.

Also if you're really nervous about stuff like phone-banking and canvassing I'm happy to do whatever I can to mitigate that a bit with like a play-by-play how-to of the process. I've been doing it long enough that I've got it down to a science, and when I started I was absolutely vibrating with nerves.

I don't think I could do this. I'm fine talking to strangers, but I would be to tempted to throttle folks and be like "WHY ARE YOU SO FUCKING OBTUSE".

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

I don't think I could do this. I'm fine talking to strangers, but I would be to tempted to throttle folks and be like "WHY ARE YOU SO FUCKING OBTUSE".

Generally canvassing, especially late in the season, targets folks who agree with the candidate just need to be motivated to get the fuck out and vote. You're very unlikely to be knocking on a door for somebody who really disagrees with what you're pushing.

Even when you run into folks who disagree just be polite, encourage them to vote and walk away.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'll admit I have occasionally had people get me frustrated once or twice but it's really rare. The vast, vast majority of people who actually open the door will just say yes or no to a "do you support [candidate]?" and then try to hustle you out.

It's way more common to answer a polling/ballot access question than to get a frustrating person.

This year I got like 2-3 out of hundreds who were proud non-voters, and then another 2-3 who were like "Haha fool I'm actually a Republican!". The one that stuck in my head last year was someone who weaved between R/D/fucking Green Party seemingly at random through the list of supporter questions and then got in an Uber before I had a chance to be like please explain to me what you want

It was also pretty funny in one neighborhood to hit like 50 houses in a small area and then have one person be like "Oh I don't know about a yard sign, this is a pretty ... tough neighborhood to be a Dem voter..." and I was like oh, great news: it totally isn't!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    So 22 Dems vote with GOP to censure Rep Tlaib.

Cohen TN Costa CA, Craig MN, Davis NC, Franklin FL, Golden ME, Goldman NY, Gottheimer NJ, Landsman OH, Lee NV, Manning NC, Mokowitz FL, Nickle NC, Pappas NH, Perez WA, Ryan NY, Schneider IL, Schrier PA, Soto FL, Torres NY, Wasserman Schultz FL, hWilson FL

Censure doesn't actually mean anything, but that Jefferies couldn't keep that much of the caucus from lining up to knife her in service of Fox News bullshit isn't a great sign. Especially on a night that otherwise was great news.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am guessing there wasn't much direction from Jeffries on this one, for a variety of reasons.

• Options
    How do those people line up with votes to punt Santos?

Cause I understand political ramifications might be at play (don't know how problematic those districts are that it might be an issue), but if you can't at least be ideologically consistent, you probably should have to explain yourself.

Because a No on Santos and Yes on Tlaib is pretty weird.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    support for israel’s apartheid state is shared on both sides of the aisle sadly

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    How do those people line up with votes to punt Santos?

Cause I understand political ramifications might be at play (don't know how problematic those districts are that it might be an issue), but if you can't at least be ideologically consistent, you probably should have to explain yourself.

Because a No on Santos and Yes on Tlaib is pretty weird.

From a purely (as in, no comment on the ethics of either vote) procedural perspective, they're very different votes.

Santos was to flat out expel him. Tlaib was to censure, which has no real functional effect beyond putting an asterisk by their record, that has no purpose other than to tisk-tisk their behavior.

The effect and therefore the justification for those two things are massively different.

From a personal perspective, fuck anyone who voted to censure Tlaib. As far as Santos, while I definitely think he needs to go, there was an extremely legitimate reason for dems to not vote to oust him, given that as of yet he hasn't been found guilty by a court of the things that he's accused of in relation to his seat. It would be very very very bad for democrats to give the ok to kick someone out on accusation. Republicans are going to do it anyway, but the last thing we need to hand them these days is the slightest sense of leverage, for them to go on their news stations and say "well they did it so now we can do it".

Now, after any relevant trials, where he's found guilty, if there are any Democrats who don't vote to expel, then yeah, they can get fucked with the same rusty rod that the genocide supporting fuckers who voted to censure Tlaib.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tlaib has been plenty antisemitic in the past, and will likely continue to do so. As has Omar.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Tlaib has been plenty antisemitic in the past, and will likely continue to do so. As has Omar.

Criticism of Israel =/= anti semitic

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’m sure that the original author of the censure motion, who once compared the COVID mask mandate to the Holocaust and suggested that prominent Jewish businessmen were starting fake wildfires with lasers from space, is very much concerned about antisemitism.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Kruite wrote: »

No, I think she can tell the difference between criticism of Israel and antisemitism.

Tlaib has said some pointlessly dumb things solely for the purpose of edgy attention grabbing that crosses the line for a lot of people.

Censuring her is also just pointless edgy attention grabbing though.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

No, I think she can tell the difference between criticism of Israel and antisemitism.

Tlaib has said some pointlessly dumb things solely for the purpose of edgy attention grabbing that crosses the line for a lot of people.

The move to censure was started by a GA Republican that claims she called for the destruction of Israel which is a bunch of bullshit.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

The move to censure was started by a GA Republican that claims she called for the destruction of Israel which is a bunch of bullshit.

A GA Rep who claimed Jewish Space Lasers are the cause of California wildfires.

This moment might be stupid, but that doesn't necessarily mean other moments aren't.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

The 'river to the sea' is absolutely a call for the destruction of Israel.

Now you may be fine with calling for the destruction of Israel, but if you are saying that you're either ignorant about the meaning behind that slogan or calling for the destruction of Israel, and I'm fairly certain Talib isn't ignorant about this.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    "From the river to the sea" is incredibly contentious, as it historically started as a call to establish a singular Palestinian state with the expulsion of the Jewish population but has now been simultaneously used by Hamas for that purpose and by others as a call for a religiously equitable, democratic Palestine state, which itself is still contentious as that does imply the dissolution of Israel in favor of Palestine, even symbolically, and there's a half century of history in between about what exactly it publicly and implicitly meant when said by whatever groups.

It's not a phrase where I'd immediately assume it's a call for genocide against Israel or even a call for the dissolution of Israel as a state but also very much a phrase you use hoping to reclaim it for your particular vision for the region and knowing the controversial association.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

A GA Rep who claimed Jewish Space Lasers are the cause of California wildfires.

This moment might be stupid, but that doesn't necessarily mean other moments aren't.

Also a rep that revealed revenge porn on the floor.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    "From the river to the sea" is incredibly contentious, as it historically started as a call to establish a singular Palestinian state with the expulsion of the Jewish population but has now been simultaneously used by Hamas for that purpose and by others as a call for a religiously equitable, democratic Palestine state, which itself is still contentious as that does imply the dissolution of Israel in favor of Palestine, even symbolically, and there's a half century of history in between about what exactly it publicly and implicitly meant when said by whatever groups.

It's not a phrase where I'd immediately assume it's a call for genocide against Israel or even a call for the dissolution of Israel as a state but also very much a phrase you use hoping to reclaim it for your particular vision for the region and knowing the controversial association.

You don't get to 'reclaim' the words others are using to mean the genocide of a people as part of your solution to a complex problem of home and nation. If you call for that, you are calling for genocide, regardless of how much reclaiming you are trying to do.

To be clear, Israel has clearly also decided to commit a genocide by driving the Palestinians from their homes in Gaza forever.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    tbloxham wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

You don't get to 'reclaim' the words others are using to mean the genocide of a people as part of your solution to a complex problem of home and nation. If you call for that, you are calling for genocide, regardless of how much reclaiming you are trying to do.

To be clear, Israel has clearly also decided to commit a genocide by driving the Palestinians from their homes in Gaza forever.

I think it can absolutely be stupid or tactless but I think summarizing 50 years of fractured semantic drift as if the meaning is locked in place at "you are calling for genocide" is more an argument of convenience to dismiss large groups of people demonstrably not using it with an explicit call for Jewish genocide than anything.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.