Options

Flying 2 days after ID expires

VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
I am flying to WI from CA on the 21st and plan to return on the 24th, and about a month ago I realized my WI Real ID expires this year on the 22nd and not next year like I thought. Two weeks ago I went to get my CA drivers license, but was flagged as needing a behind the wheel test to get my license. I currently have a driving permit that explicitly says not for ID purposes and that I must be accompanied by a licensed driver. I am assuming that if I go to my behind the wheel test without another driver I will auto fail the test, but the only CA licensed driver I know that could accompany me to the DMV for the test is out of town until the evening of the 17th, making the 20th the only viable date for the behind the wheel test. When I pass the test I will get a piece of paper that is supposed to work as my CA Real ID until the actual one arrives by mail.

I'm planning to just present my WI ID to board my departing flight so I don't expect any problems with that, but I really don't want to get stranded in Wisconsin.

Assuming all this works out and I get that piece of paper, should I expect any problems boarding my return flight?

If it doesn't work out and I don't get that piece of paper would I be able to board the return flight with the expired by 2 days Real ID?

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Do you have a passport? If you have a passport just take that.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Nope, no passport.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification#:~:text=Adult passengers 18 and older,checkpoint in order to travel.

There’s a section on expired IDs, if I’m reading everything correctly it seems to me that you should be okay.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification#:~:text=Adult passengers 18 and older,checkpoint in order to travel.

There’s a section on expired IDs, if I’m reading everything correctly it seems to me that you should be okay.

Thank you very much!

It's amazing how panic makes you forget to do the obvious, like check the TSA website

Veevee on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Give yourself extra time at the airport though. It can be a bit of a rigamarole.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So for what it's worth, my friend just did a round trip visit from NYC to Denver; she got here on an expired ID, and left this morning on the same expired ID.
    Hilariously, it was a nice lady at the weed store who pointed out that her ID was expired. Weed store lady one, TSA minus two...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    TSA won’t point it out because it’s perfectly valid as an ID, just not as a license to drive. You’re not driving, you’re just identifying yourself.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    unless they feel like harassing you, which they will find an excuse to do anyway

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Give yourself extra time at the airport though. It can be a bit of a rigamarole.

This is true if you’re flying without an ID for sure, which I’ve had to do in the past. They do a mini background check on you and have you verify some info (think the kind of stuff you verify on a credit report). Give yourself an extra 1-2 hours.

Flying with an expired ID shouldn’t cause any issue.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

This is true if you’re flying without an ID for sure, which I’ve had to do in the past. They do a mini background check on you and have you verify some info (think the kind of stuff you verify on a credit report). Give yourself an extra 1-2 hours.

Flying with an expired ID shouldn’t cause any issue.

It shouldn't cause an issue, but...
    7arrpsrx65n1.png

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I'm likely paranoid but I'd print out the rule in case I get the one agent who doesn't know it.