Options

The Holiday Season Has Begun

CelloCello Registered User regular
Folks, yesterday was Rememberance Day, which means as of today it is now legal to put up your holiday decorations

Now, I'm gonna hear some of you Americans insist that the holiday season doesn't hit until your Thanksgiving, and you'd be incorrect because Thanksgiving was last month.

When do you put your decor up and start listening to 24 hour Christmas music?

Steam
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I prefer to wait until December 1.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bit oldschool, but the weeknd that Advent commences is my starting line

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Folks, yesterday was Rememberance Day, which means as of today it is now legal to put up your holiday decorations

Now, I'm gonna hear some of you Americans insist that the holiday season doesn't hit until your Thanksgiving, and you'd be incorrect because Thanksgiving was last month.

When do you put your decor up and start listening to 24 hour Christmas music?

Our decorations went up the day after Halloween, and the trees (yes plural) go up today

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I do not decorate for any season or even in general

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'll give a listen to the two or three Sarah McLachlan Christmas songs that I like sometime around the 24th.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The holidays begin when I make the Little Drummer Boy Thread…which will be TODAY

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap9GqyLoWyY

tis not quite almost the season

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it's the season for pleasin', I've heard.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap9GqyLoWyY

tis not quite almost the season

This has genuinely become one of my top 5 (not quite almost) Christmas songs

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    My tiny wreath went up in the home office yesterday

63hh3nvoeery.jpg

The tree goes up today and gets decorated tomorrow.

Christmas!

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Retail kinda ruined Thanksgiving for me, so now that I'm not in a store anymore the Christmas decorations don't go up until December. I'm taking back Thanksgiving.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I do not decorate for any season or even in general

What about toyotathon

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    My neighbors sort of go ham for Halloween decorations so by the time mid-November rolls around I’m sort of grumpy about the whole thing

but then after I put up our uncomplicated string of white lights around the front porch it gives me a little feel-good whenever I come home and it’s dark.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Gotta put your Santa cap and red suit on your home depot 15 foot skeleton sooner or later

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What if I'm still clinging to Halloween though

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It aint a holiday 'til the dying starts.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm not going to lock this thread but I want everyone to know that I wanted to

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I saw a Christmas tree in the window of a business yesterday.

My family’s never really been one for playing Christmas music outside of the day of, I probably wouldn’t decorate earlier than 2-3 weeks before.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Christmas seems to just slowly spring up around my house, generally after the 15th or so of November, though sometimes earlier when we need good cheer

This year I'm preparing to sell at some local markets though, so I've launched into the spirit a lot earlier than usual just due to needing to be in the zone to make this stuff

I don't tend to seek out Christmas music until the day of Christmas Eve or a little before, it's kinda fun to have it go ambiently when I'm out exploring markets or shopping for gifts, like I'm slowly being stalked by several reindeer, presaged by an ever increasing volume of herecomessantaclausherecomesSANTACLAUS until Christmas itself jumpscares me

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I used to be a no Christmas/winter decor until after Thanksgiving but I've softened in my old age and it goes up whenever it's going to make someone in the house happy. Stores putting it up super early still irks me though

Carpy on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I've never really cared too much about Thanksgiving, and so would be fine putting up Christmas stuff before it probably. Bt my mother's birthday is in early December and she always gets salty if there's anything up before her bday heh.

Which I think she mostly picked up from her mother who was born on christmas eve and hated having her bday get forgotten, or at best lumped into Christmas.

I dunno, I'm not too fussy about it anymore so long as it doesnt show up before Halloween.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I'm in a constant war of attrition in my household where my partner thinks Christmas season is any month that ends in "ber."

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I still haven't finished taking down my Halloween decorations

Generally Christmas goes up partway through December, but is acceptable as soon as December 1st

I deeply dislike the Advent season broadly though, so I try and prolong that as much as possible, otherwise I'll get burnt out on Christmas before the parts of it that I actually enjoy happen

• Options
    I escaped retail hell approximately thirteen years ago and now work from home(98% of the time, like 1-2 weeks a year of travel).

Also with two little kids my Christmas heart has grown back three sizes this day and the spirit of Christmas gives me the power of ten grinches, plus two.

Which means I can tolerate Christmas music again after Dec 1st and buy a real Christmas tree sometime in the first week of the month.

Still cant stand a lot of Christmas music with vocals like this abomination aka Tourette's Jingle Bell. Or this nightmare.

I hate them both so much. Just give me like, Charlie Brown Christmas album and my secret favorite Christmas song for doing the wrapping.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've been reading and listening to the War on Christmas for two decades now, but Christmas is clearly the aggressor just like Israel into.....

Wait what is this?

Also the Dolly Parton Christmas album absolutely rules

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    My kid and I went to Michaels today cause I needed a zipper fixer and she wanted a craft kit but SURPRISE CHRISTMAS TIME MOTHERFUCKER

4u6g33vt2z9m.jpeg

She found some lipstick earlier in the day and neither she, my wife, or I could wash it off lol

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Wait what is this?

nightmare-before-christmas-prequel.jpg

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    There's a Christmas tree lot on my way home from work that's setting up. I'll buy a wreath when they do, I love that pine smell.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    One holiday at a time. Christmas/Whatever decorations go up after Thanksgiving.

But really think Thanksgiving will be deprecated within 10 years, relegated to Arbor Day or maybe Columbus Day level due to what we're celebrating, and less people celebrating it due to age and not being raised celebrating it.

Definitely got ruined by retail. "Black Friday sale" on a Wednesday in October. Used to be at least a special thing, even a crass commercial one.

The important thing is that I had a mistletoe on my belt as was the style of the season.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t put much up because I live alone and I’m some sort of pagan atheist, but black candle time is coming to a close, soon it will be red candle time.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2023
    I like to make sure that decorations are up for the 1st of December to maximise the festive feeling without going overboard, but the next few weekends were basically "rain", "storm" and "rainstorm" weather-wise so I got the ladders out on Saturday and put the new lights up:

9kwo0abvbxk0.png

They're now switched off until the 1st and I'm now sat listening to the wind whip against the house wondering whether the gutter clips will hold or whether I'll have to get the ladders back out in the rain to put them back up next weekend.

Edit: Just noticed Stanley in the window wondering what I'm doing

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm not in my flat for Christmas itself, but I do have guests in December

I've got some off-brand Lego Christmas decorations I'll put together, I guess

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Maybe I should get some tiny wreaths or garlands to put around the neck of my Gundam and zaku ii model kits

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I tend to wait until the 26th before starting up with the decorations, not because of American Thanksgiving, which we do not celebrate, but because that's the day after Mini-Muzz's birthday, and I'd like to have her special day all to herself.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I occasionally use youtube for music and now like half my recommended videos are christmas music

so I guess I'm probably not gonna use youtube for a month

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Oh, kiddo found a nutcracker that’s a rainbow unicorn

And some candy moulds we then spent the afternoon watching British ladies teach us how to make white chocolate truffles via short YouTube videos

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thanksgiving has a lot of baggage, so whatever.

Just stay the fuck outta October.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Round my neighborhood a lot of lights have gone up because Diwali was last weekend.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Round my neighborhood a lot of lights have gone up because Diwali was last weekend.

See now that's awesome. Are there a lot of string lights or more individual lanterns, torches, etc?

If that gets Home Depot to start pushing lights for that and holds off on Christmas for another week or two, I'm all for it.