Options

The [College Football] Thread. Universities Must Divest from Israel & Defense Contractors.

1394041424345»

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I genuinely loathe the SEC and Big Ten right now. Demanding 3 or 4 autobids and a double bye for their conference champions in a 14 team playoff.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The B1G should just get all the autobids, they already proved their superiority over the SEC with the all B1G championship game

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the club!

We been saying superconferences were a terrible idea that would just lead to the rich getting richer

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Says the dude who’s a fan of the most exclusive conference!

• Options
    It just occurred to me that teams can use NIL to get scholarship-level talent without offering a scholarship

It also occurred to me that most PKs and Ps were already recruited this way

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    v2gwsnly7ren.jpg

Facebook showed me a random page with this post yesterday. Foolishly I clicked on the comments expecting everyone to be clowning on Saban. Needless to say, of the dozens of comments I read they were all in support of him and talking shit about today's players.

I was astonished first of all that people actually bought these obvious lies, nobody should ever believe a fucking word he says, but I pointed out in the comments that even if he was telling the truth, he's the coach! If there are behaviour issues with his players, that's entirely on him! And people responded by saying "no, it stats at home" and I was like HE FUCKING RECRUITED THEM. Either he failed as a recruiter or as a coach, and really both. But nobody would listen.

I find this even more ludicrous because I'm sure these are the same sort of people who would adamantly say that a college coach especially is responsible for molding young people into adults, but no. Saban can do no wrong, it's the children who are wrong.

In hindsight, of course, I should never have expected anything else. This is reflective how absurdly conservative (if not outright fascist) (but I repeat myself) the culture in the US is. The propaganda and brainwashing in this country is unrivalled. Obviously, the powerful leader figure must be right and the underlings are the problem. And of course, it's exponentially more so because he's an old, rich, white man overseeing predominantly young, poor, Black boys. Of course most Americans are going to believe he's the one in the right.

And yes, I know I'm making more out of this than it deserves but like that's kind of my point. It's so pervasive that even something like college sports is infected by this plague.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetious wrote: »
    v2gwsnly7ren.jpg

Facebook showed me a random page with this post yesterday. Foolishly I clicked on the comments expecting everyone to be clowning on Saban. Needless to say, of the dozens of comments I read they were all in support of him and talking shit about today's players.

I was astonished first of all that people actually bought these obvious lies, nobody should ever believe a fucking word he says, but I pointed out in the comments that even if he was telling the truth, he's the coach! If there are behaviour issues with his players, that's entirely on him! And people responded by saying "no, it stats at home" and I was like HE FUCKING RECRUITED THEM. Either he failed as a recruiter or as a coach, and really both. But nobody would listen.

I find this even more ludicrous because I'm sure these are the same sort of people who would adamantly say that a college coach especially is responsible for molding young people into adults, but no. Saban can do no wrong, it's the children who are wrong.

In hindsight, of course, I should never have expected anything else. This is reflective how absurdly conservative (if not outright fascist) (but I repeat myself) the culture in the US is. The propaganda and brainwashing in this country is unrivalled. Obviously, the powerful leader figure must be right and the underlings are the problem. And of course, it's exponentially more so because he's an old, rich, white man overseeing predominantly young, poor, Black boys. Of course most Americans are going to believe he's the one in the right.

And yes, I know I'm making more out of this than it deserves but like that's kind of my point. It's so pervasive that even something like college sports is infected by this plague.

No, this sort of gooseshit shows how fucked college athletics were pre-Alston, and why you're going to see the old guard of coaches leaving as it becomes clear that they no longer hold all the cards anymore. As Reggie Bush pointed out, Saban retired in part because college football is moving to the model that chewed him up and spat him out, and the way Saban attacks players for looking out for their own interests reveals his own (lack of) character. I also find it morbidly amusing that a man who prevented a player who graduated from going to his graduate school of choice because he could wind up playing against Alabama has the audacity to argue that he's the one looking out for the educational interests of the players.

• Options
    First time I saw that quote I thought of Hedgie, which makes me laugh.

• Options
    If Saban was looking out for the educational interests of players he’d never recruit anyone to Alabama

Boom roasted

• Options
    If he was coming back, the story would be about how those reactions were indication of a passionate team that everyone wrote off, who will use that painful loss to the eventual national champions as fuel to be even better in 2024

• Options
    And in a continuation of this discussion, yesterday Mr. Saban Went To Washington to peddle his gooseshit:
    Invited to speak at a roundtable discussion with a handful of US Senators on Capitol Hill Tuesday, former football coach Nick Saban spoke about how the current landscape of college athletics contributed to his decision to retire from the University of Alabama after the 2023 season.

“All the things that I believed in for all these years, 50 years of coaching, no longer exist in college athletics,” Saban said at the roundtable, a video of which was posted online by Sen. Ted Cruz (TX). “It was always about developing players. It was always about helping people be more successful in life.”

“That’s the reason that I always like college athletics more than the NFL is because you had the opportunity to develop young people,” Saban continued.

Pull the other one, Nick - it has bells on it. The reason you "don't like" the NFL is because the NFL kicked your ass, because coaches don't have the (illegally granted) authority that college coaches have, and have to deal with parity. And with the courts finally taking back the power that college coaches never should have had, the college game is starting to look more like the pro one.

• Options
    edited March 13
    Well

Mike Hart out at Michigan

In comes Tony Alford, who has been OSUs RB coach since 2015/Zeke

Columbus is Big Mad

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited March 14
    AD Trev Alberts leaving Nebraska to take the same position at A&M...that really sucks

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Kadyn Proctor apparently committed to Iowa, signed endorsement deals, then said nah and is re-enrolling at Alabama. This system is so dumb. Let the schools pay them directly and sign contracts.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Roll mother fucking tide

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    How much time around Kirk Ferentz before he made that decision do you think

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I don’t have access to it atm but he looked at the offensive playbook and he did the Magic Johnson “I ain’t gone be here” press conference

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    What can Alabama possibly offer him that Iowa can’t

Besides offense and meals that don’t include corn

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    What can Alabama possibly offer him that Iowa can’t

Besides offense and meals that don’t include corn

Several states between him and Kirk Ferentz?

• Options
    edited March 21
    Welp

Michigan’s new d line coach made it 2 weeks before being canned for DWI

…..I don’t believe he was hired from Georgia

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Denard also DWI so probably also fired. We are stealing Georgia's crown. Idiots.

In better news it is EDSBS Charity Bowl week. 300k day one. Michigan over half of that total. The quest to make Slippery Rock #2 begins tomorrow. Currently PSU at 38k.

EDIT 350k

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I hate OSU fans

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Chris Partridge, the apparent fall guy for Michigan, has joined the Seahawks staff as their OLB coach (and he was actually hired back in February, looks like).

• Options
    Helmet communications approved. You're welcome.

• Options
    The Heisman Trust concedes to reality, reinstates Reggie Bush:
    Reggie Bush is getting his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, as the Heisman Trust announced Wednesday the formal "reinstatement" of the trophy to Bush amid what it calls "enormous changes in the college football landscape."

The Heisman Trust's decision comes after Bush forfeited his Heisman Trophy in 2010 in the wake of significant NCAA sanctions for USC, which included Bush receiving improper benefits during a Trojans career that spanned from 2003 to 2005.

As part of the decision Wednesday, the Heisman Trust is returning the Heisman Trophy to Bush and a replica to USC. Bush will again be invited to all future Heisman Trophy ceremonies, beginning in the 2024 season.

Simpson's death was the last straw - as a lot of people pointed out, it was laughable that Simpson was never given the boot for his actions while Bush had his revoked over rules the NCAA has since admitted were illegal, and made their intransience no longer sustainable.

This will also put added pressure on the NCAA to admit to reality and reinstate those records given all the gooseshit that went down.

Edit: Also, "improper benefits"? Fuck you, ESPN - the whole point is that the benefits weren't improper, because those rules were outright illegal.

• Options
    I’m not sure Colorado can field a full team at the moment btw

And Sanders is so not mad about it he’s been melting down on X today responding to randos

• Options
    Apparently he randomly went after some dude he cut when he first got to Colorado and that guy hadn’t even said or done anything

And of course his nepo baby son had to pop off too

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Good thread title.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Colorado could well be staring at 0-12. Their FCS game is this year is North Dakota State. Going to have zag a bit in the Split Zone Duo FCS vs. FBS upset draft, I reckon.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to be objective about Sanders' cuts at CU, but his son going out of his way to call another player mid for daring to question how his dad made those cuts is not a good look.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to be objective about Sanders' cuts at CU, but his son going out of his way to call another player mid for daring to question how his dad made those cuts is not a good look.

Divorced from everything else, the cuts are not that unusual for any P4 CFB program.

Given the Sanders of it all, it comes off as ghoulish.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    edited May 2
    They have 11 open scholarshios in May, with no more players able to enter the portal (pending a surprise coach change) lol

Captain Inertia on