Options

[NFL] Thread: Hard Knocks: Still A Thing

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Hey, guys! Brady totes wants to honour the mega-million FOX broadcast contract!

But, hey, you know, if any winning team wants to sign him for a playoff run, he'd be interested.

Here's the deal, Tom... You retire, and then we all move on to the next hotness. And you can spend the rest of eternity being called the GOAT because you won so many Super Bowls. Even if somebody comes along and collects better overall stats than you. Because team-backed results are the only thing that will matter, somehow. Cool?

Tom is giving off some real "divorced guy" energy here.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

But, hey, you know, if any winning team wants to sign him for a playoff run, he'd be interested.

Here's the deal, Tom... You retire, and then we all move on to the next hotness. And you can spend the rest of eternity being called the GOAT because you won so many Super Bowls. Even if somebody comes along and collects better overall stats than you. Because team-backed results are the only thing that will matter, somehow. Cool?

And here I was thinking it was the Skinner meme.

"Am I out of touch?"
    "No, it was Giselle who was wrong."

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The other day I was listening to some sports talk turd go on about “why is nobody calling Bill Belichick? He won all those Super Bowls, he put together all those great rosters, etc.”

And then the funny part is he acknowledged all the reasons people don’t want to hire BB; shit personality, megalomaniacal, how he fell off without Brady to rely on, and that he’s getting old.

But oh no, teams should just ignore that because of “resume”

Dude all that is on his resume too!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MorganV wrote: »

And here I was thinking it was the Skinner meme.

"Am I out of touch?"
    "No, it was Giselle who was wrong."

To be fair, what's the worst that could happen? She leaves him again?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    To be fair, it is a league that will basically sign anybody so long as they have a pulse. It's very rare when an individual is so awful (or Kaep) that nobody will take a chance. So, it is kind of weird that nobody made any serious effort to sign Belichick. Being a jerk and not having success without a star QB hasn't been disqualifying for anybody else.

But that's the end of being fair. If a turd is talking about Belichick now it's because they have oh so many hours to fill and there isn't anything to talk about obsessively for another two weeks.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    My guess is that he’s demanding full management control and nobody’s willing to give him that

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'd like to propose we ban talking about s]redacted[/s and also s]redacted[/s, only excite me with new interesting things like s]redacted[/s
    Actually grats to the eagles on getting a deal with devonta smith.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    My guess is that he’s demanding full management control and nobody’s willing to give him that

Yep, if it was just the coach or even defensive coordinator, teams would be tripping over themselves. But front office folks tend to have a close relationship with the owners. Atlanta's GM has been their forever and is a close friend. Cowboys have Jones and his sons. Getting front office control is really difficult and usually comes from a team super desperate, that just cleaned house and would have no chance of hiring the coach otherwise. Even then, it's not a sure thing since a team like the Panthers wanted someone offensive to put their young rookie QB in the best position.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    He's been putting it out there that he's willing to give up personnel decisions and just coach. I think it's agism and the belief that he's lost his fastball. He's 6 years older than the oldest ever HC at time of hiring. He belly flopped pretty hard without TB12. His coaching tree sucks eggs. I think teams have decided it was way more Tom than they assumed.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    If owners are just unbelievably stupid, nothing to be done there. The pats lost 3-4 of their starters on defense last year and still were 7th in yards per game and 9th in DVOA.

Maybe he's willing to give up front office but really wants to bring Patrica back on offense or something dumb and that's the turn off. But saying he's falling off due to age or because he doesn't have Brady, well the stats don't back that up.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    If owners are just unbelievably stupid, nothing to be done there. The pats lost 3-4 of their starters on defense last year and still were 7th in yards per game and 9th in DVOA.

Maybe he's willing to give up front office but really wants to bring Patrica back on offense or something dumb and that's the turn off. But saying he's falling off due to age or because he doesn't have Brady, well the stats don't back that up.

Bums off the street can coach a defense to 7th, that hasn't been impressive for a decade. Hell, the Panthers finished 4th in yards per game, didn't do them a lick of good, either. His calling card was getting the most out of limited talent on both sides of the ball. Turns out, half of that was a mirage.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean I do think he's old and has lost his fastball, but I think if he was interviewing for just coach he'd long since be hired

lord knows the nfl hires enough guys who never had a fastball to begin with

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Atlanta owner said that he didn't ask for control of personnel. I think they just don't want an old guy.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Also an open question if he can actually just be a head coach, whatever he says about not wanting control of personnel. Dudes 72 and spent 23 (27 if we count the Browns) years with full control of a team, that's asking a lot of change from a really old dude.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    His lack of control of personnel would have to extend to coaching so that you can bring in a promising OC and other staffers and none of his retreads.

Bill hasn't been drawing good talent for over a decade and his tree has gone from unable to make the big jump to putrid.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 18
    The NBA has banned Jontay Porter for gambling.

What's the O/U for the NFL mnaging to fuck it up when it comes their turn?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The NFL would love to ban an irrelevant backup for insider gambling. Goodell would have the biggest erection as he stood behind his podium and said phrases like "integrity of the game" into a microphone.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    The NFL would love to ban an irrelevant backup for insider gambling. Goodell would have the biggest erection as he stood behind his podium and said phrases like "integrity of the game" into a microphone.

I dunno. Five irrelevants just got reinstated.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-reinstates-five-players-who-were-suspended-indefinitely-for-violation-of-gambling-policy
    "NFL reinstates five players who were suspended indefinitely for violation of gambling policy"

Sure, it's not the same thing, but if the NFL wanted to send a "message", they could do so.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    The NBA has banned Jontay Porter for gambling.

What's the O/U for the NFL mnaging to fuck it up when it comes their turn?

*Mean mugs Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross.*

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-reinstates-five-players-who-were-suspended-indefinitely-for-violation-of-gambling-policy
    "NFL reinstates five players who were suspended indefinitely for violation of gambling policy"

Sure, it's not the same thing, but if the NFL wanted to send a "message", they could do so.

They did with those 5 though. 3 of them were suspended for simply gambling inside team facilities and they got the same suspension as the guys who bet on NFL games.

There's not been anything equivalent to Jontay point shaving and betting against his own team.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

They did with those 5 though. 3 of them were suspended for simply gambling inside team facilities and they got the same suspension as the guys who bet on NFL games.

There's not been anything equivalent to Jontay point shaving and betting against his own team.

...yet

OR

...that we're aware of.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    its probably happening, people are just better at hiding it
    Jontay Porter's case was fucking egregious
    It was the books that reported him, not the team or league. Anytime you take a book for a million+ dollars on something obscure like a minor player's prop, you're probably going to get some eyeballs on your account. That was some complete idiocy on his part. If he just did small bets using his insider knowledge of various players around his team or the league, he might have gone a longer time without being caught. Given how poorly some of the NFL back benchers are paid, I'm sure its already happening or at least the sale of their locker room info and stuff like that where technically they aren't exactly gambling themselves but profiting off their insider knowledge.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Honestly, anything beyond a win/loss bet seems very prone to cheating.

Even lines are prone to point shaving.

Yes, it's possible to rig a game, but at least with most team sports a single player isn’t in a position to do so.

Play badly for long enough, and you'll be benched. So having a determinative play when it matters isn't likely.

Only two positions it might, are pitcher and QB, also the most financially advantaged positions, so risking your career for a pittance, or going large and almost certainly getting caught, would be stupid.

• Options
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport denies that teams leak negative stories about players in the draft to affect position and says that agents actually hold more sway in such areas.

He probably got that from a team that leaked it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 21
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport denies that teams leak negative stories about players in the draft to affect position and says that agents actually hold more sway in such areas.

So an interesting thing from government contracting and business development. Companies will put forward provocative Requests For Information (RFI) to raise the price of the contract and push out other contracting firms. Especially if it’s drawing attention to something negative. “Please confirm that the asbestos surrounding the boiler is non-friable or confirm if the contractor needs to abate.”

…even if the boiler isn’t in scope.

zepherin on
  • Options

Honestly, I get these "insiders" mixed up all the time.

But the whole lot of them are just parasites. They're not investing shit. They get "access" in exchange for positive coverage, or at least a heads up to their sources about bad shit coming.

It's the worst kind of chummy favour trading, and I really hate that entire part of the industry.

• Options
    His response doesn't even address why is it that prior to the draft a bunch of negative stories just start appearing. He insists that teams already know most of this stuff because they're obviously looking for potential negatives that could affect whatever value the player has to their team. But if so, why is it reported on? And more specifically, why now? Nearly everybody around Pullman, WA knew Ryan Leaf was a shitbird, but nobody else seemed to until after he's drafted and is acting like a shitbird?

Either these teams know this stuff or they don't. Leaking negative info and draft stock falling could mean millions 'saved' for the teams whilst still picking up a player they'll happily exploit until they either become too much of a PR liability or can be conveniently replaced by the next kid out of college with some other 'personal demon'.

Rapoport is just another sports turd. The only difference is he gets his shit direct from the teams. Your standard, every day sports turd then takes a report from some insider and then just amplifies it.

And it should be no wonder that it should be difficult to take Rapoport seriously in this. He works for a network that is directly owned by the NFL itself. One way or another he's just a mouthpiece for the league and its teams. Just an utter goblin.

• Options
    Zach Wilson to the Broncos.
    Broncos country, let's die!

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

South Park is gonna be so lit now.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I guess at least no one will get their hopes up that the Broncos will be any good in the first place unlike before.

• Options

"We have faith in you, Zach!"
    "Really? :) "
    "Sure. But we're going to trade you."
    "Really? :( "
    "Yup. For a sixth round pick."
    "Really? :disappointed: "
    "But we have to give back a seventh."
    "Really. :angry: "

I'm not sure if he could have been any good. But the circumstances he was put in, I don't think anyone could have been.

I know it's unlikely, but as much as I don't like Payton, I hope he's able to bring out Zach's inner Geno. Same with Darnold in Minnesota.

I don't expect MVP, but I don't count "solid starter" as completely off the table.

And I hope Rodgers lasts as long this year as last. I respect his ability on the field, but the man is a complete knob, and neither he nor the Jets deserve anything good.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    just in time for mother's day

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

"We have faith in you, Zach!"
    "Really? :) "
    "Sure. But we're going to trade you."
    "Really? :( "
    "Yup. For a sixth round pick."
    "Really? :disappointed: "
    "But we have to give back a seventh."
    "Really. :angry: "

I'm not sure if he could have been any good. But the circumstances he was put in, I don't think anyone could have been.

I know it's unlikely, but as much as I don't like Payton, I hope he's able to bring out Zach's inner Geno. Same with Darnold in Minnesota.

I don't expect MVP, but I don't count "solid starter" as completely off the table.

And I hope Rodgers lasts as long this year as last. I respect his ability on the field, but the man is a complete knob, and neither he nor the Jets deserve anything good.

Rodgers is doing the Favre speedrun.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited April 22
    I’m digging the Zach Wilson trade.

It says we need a QB, any QB, and then it opens the draft up so they can trade down and get TEs WRs some defense, really fill in the gaps.

And Zach Wilson wasn’t the worst QB last year. He was definitely bottom 5 but not the worst. And there’s always a chance his badness is because of the Jets and maybe Sean Payton can fix him.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Congratulations to Ian Rapoport for signing a new deal to remain at NFL Network! Keep earning that paycheck, boyo!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

It says we need a QB, any QB, and then it opens the draft up so they can trade down and get TEs WRs some defense, really fill in the gaps.

And Zach Wilson wasn’t the worst QB last year. He was definitely bottom 5 but not the worst. And there’s always a chance his badness is because of the Jets and maybe Sean Payton can fix him.

Who was worse

Young
    Ridder?
    Pickens?
    Tommy Cutlets?

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    That 2021 QB draft class was a real tire fire, wasn't it?

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Who was worse

Young
    Ridder?
    Pickens?
    Tommy Cutlets?
    Honestly I was like Young is definitely worse…and then I couldn’t think of anyone else…so bottom 2?

• Options
    Its possible Z wilson might end up like an alex smith. had a terrible start but with a little more time developed into a solid mid qb.

• Options
    Its possible Z wilson might end up like an alex smith. had a terrible start but with a little more time developed into a solid mid qb.
    Even if he’s bottom tier I still think it’s the correct decision. Denver has other more pressing needs. I think they should shift to a smashmouth offense. It won’t win any championships, but it will win some games and give them time to find a new QB. And he may need 2 or 3 seasons to find one acceptable, unless they can get Zach up to a good place.