Options

Chicago?

PeenPeen Registered User regular
We're taking a road trip to Chicago in June and I'm trying to figure out where we should stay. Do any of you have thoughts about neighborhoods, specifically Avondale and Bronzeville? We don't need to be super close to downtown but we don't want to be super far either.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Lighting the @Ketar signal.

Those are about the same distance driving to downtown, with Bronzeville being a little closer.

Just between those, I'd go for Avondale, but someone who's more in the city can tell you better.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Heh, I already responded a little bit to the same question posed in SE++.

Definitely Avondale of the two, there are a lot more interesting options for food, drinks and entertainment nearby. I had a friend who lived in Bronzeville for years and I can only think of one time we actually hung out in Bronzeville - he always wanted to get out somewhere further north. There are places I like nearby in Bridgeport or Hyde Park, and Chinatown's not far, but Bronzeville itself just isn't a neighborhood I'd send people to.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 11
    I live in Avondale. It's a great neighborhood that's in the midst of a revitalization, which means all the hipstery awesome neighborhood spots before they get too popular/expensive, and a quick blue line to the loop or any of the other awesome blue line neighborhoods (Wicker Park, Logan Square, Bucktown). In Avondale try out Mother's Ruin, Warlord (though gotta wait in line, it's worth it), Loaf Lounge, TriBecca’s, Staropolska if you want legit Polish food.

One note though the neighborhood itself is bysected by route 90. You typically won't be crossing that boundary without a car/bus. It's a very wide neighborhood. I live on the west side near Milwaukee Ave.

Happy to answer any other questions about the hood if you have any.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Thanks! I didn't know what questions I have yet but I really appreciate the local feedback, we were looking at all of the places you mentioned. The place we're renting is a two minute walk from Warlord and everything else on Milwaukee Ave right there, is Avondale Bowl cool?

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 11
    So Warlord is amazing, but as I mentioned, expect a wait. For weekend services (Fri-Sun), you'll typically want to get in line an hour before they open at 5ish (opens at 6) if you want to get in the first seating. Otherwise, it's a 90-120 min wait to get in the second seating if you put your name on the list (can go chill at any other local spots, they text you). They do also change their menu every few days depending on sourcing. The only constants are the house ground dry-aged burger, and the steak. The burger is my current favorite in the city, but is on the rarer side, which I know squiks some people out.

Avondale Bowl is cool, it's a vintage restored second floor bowling alley with a pretty good cocktail program. Mother's Ruin is my favorite place in the area, but it can get pretty busy after 8ish. Loaf Lounge has some absolutely amazing pastries, and their breakfast sammy is legit. Their chef was the baking consultant on The Bear, and they do sell that double-chocolate cake from the show.

If you get a chance, and are a fan of cocktails, try out Billy Sunday just down Milwaukee in Logan Square. They have some of the most creative and unique cocktails around. Meadowlark, also in Logan, has a killer speakeasy vibe too. Paulie Gee's in Logan on Milwaukee Ave has my favorite pizza of all time, the "USA Pizza Cup Winner", which is ironically enough for a Brooklyn based pizzeria in Chicago, a Detroit-style pie. It's named that because it won the USA Pizza Cup in 2018, hah.

Simpsonia on