Options

[Avatar/Airbender] New Gaang Movie Starring Drax the Metaphorbender

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
We just wrapped up the first season of the live-action Netflix series that remakes the first season of the show, and reactions seem to average out to "eh."

But in October of 2025, we're going to get the first of the three movies coming from the studio founded by series creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Aang, the Last Airbender (working title), will be set between the end of the original Airbender and the beginning of Korra. It'll star Eric Nam as Aang, Dionne Quan as Toph, Jessica Matten as Katara, and Román Zaragoza as Sokka. Dave Bautista will be some sort of antagonist. It'll be directed by Lauren Montgomery and co-directed by William Mata.

167bb7040e2d2f5a8f53022d8c037f31.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The Aang flashback in Korra was really interesting. I dig it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure my interpretation of events are rather... singular and will probably be shown to be wrong.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    anything that has more Toph is bound to be great

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    I'm in.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited April 12
    I feel like it's easier to be more cautiously optimistic with a theoretical(?) Korra remake because we remember the cool highs, but also the cringy lows, and the lows are not so bad that a few more passes of the draft won't fix em, and a more holistic view of Korra's whole story (instead of a per-season thing they first did) will do wonders for her.

Plus I really wasn't feeling the end-of-the-world-ish stakes they had with Vaatu.

What's a good progression for Korra's enemies, anyway? There's...

- Amon & his antibending agenda
    - Varrick's captialism
    - Vaatu
    - Unalaq
    - Zaheer & co.
    - Earth Queen's banal but widespread evil
    - Kuvira's "hard decisions" tack

There's bound to be a better sequence here that would also complement Korra's story and growth from brash hothead pining after a chump to thoughtful master with a hot genius billionaire girlfriend.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    ... Damn, Asami Sato was the complete package, wasn't she?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ... Damn, Asami Sato was the complete package, wasn't she?

I mean, one of my main criticisms of the show can be boiled down to "why are we wasting time with Bolin and Mako when we could be watching Asami kick ass?"

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hey, Bolin was great.

Mako was Dollar Store Zuko.

• Options
    Of course, I also think Korra should have realized Tenzin doesn't want to teach her airbending so much as being an air nomad, so she goes somewhere else/figures it out for herself.

• Options
    Jean-LucJean-Luc Registered User regular
    edited April 12
    I feel like it's easier to be more cautiously optimistic with a theoretical(?) Korra remake because we remember the cool highs, but also the cringy lows, and the lows are not so bad that a few more passes of the draft won't fix em, and a more holistic view of Korra's whole story (instead of a per-season thing they first did) will do wonders for her.

I can see it already, a team of genius writers, budget covering 4 seasons of 20 eps each, amazing casting, no production woes hampering the narrative.

No but seriously, ATLA is more popular than TLOK and this 8ep season Netflix thing is what we got. I liked it more than most it seems, thought it was decent given the duration and it had some real effort put into it but still...

Netflix or whoever not effing up Korra seems about as likely as Kyoshi not resorting to violence.

Jean-Luc on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Jean-Luc wrote: »

I can see it already, a team of genius writers, budget covering 4 seasons of 20 eps each, amazing casting, no production woes hampering the narrative.

No but seriously, ATLA is more popular than TLOK and this 8ep season Netflix thing is what we got. I liked it more than most it seems, thought it was decent given the duration and it had some real effort put into it but still...

Netflix or whoever not effing up Korra seems about as likely as Kyoshi not resorting to violence.

I don't get the complaint about episode count. 8 hourlong Netflix episodes is an equivalent duration to 20 half-hour episodes if you include commercial breaks.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I don't get the complaint about episode count. 8 hourlong Netflix episodes is an equivalent duration to 20 half-hour episodes if you include commercial breaks.

Episodes are written with arcs in mind. Which means you really only get to develop a limited amount of ideas regardless of how much time is spent in each episode. Part of the charm of older content with more episodes was the ability to have side or filler episodes that have little to do with the main plot and have complete ideas that develop the characters more in novel directions unrelated to the plot. In modern shows with fewer episodes, typically only one episode gets devoted to this idea, if at all.

It’s less important for shows that don’t rely much on character development and instead focus heavily on plot. But a lot of the charm and draw of ATLA comes from its characters and how they grow.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Episodes are written with arcs in mind. Which means you really only get to develop a limited amount of ideas regardless of how much time is spent in each episode. Part of the charm of older content with more episodes was the ability to have side or filler episodes that have little to do with the main plot and have complete ideas that develop the characters more in novel directions unrelated to the plot. In modern shows with fewer episodes, typically only one episode gets devoted to this idea, if at all.

It’s less important for shows that don’t rely much on character development and instead focus heavily on plot. But a lot of the charm and draw of ATLA comes from its characters and how they grow.

Though a common complaint about that old model was how the growth demonstrated in those very special episodes typically just evaporated by the next week, let alone next season.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Rewatching Korra S3 and one complaint I see pretty frequently is just wrong. Tenzin is kicking Zaheer's ass until Zaheer's colleagues show up (Zaheer gets one neat dodge but is otherwise running the whole fight). Even then, Tenzin is a match for like two and a half of them. But the three masters + Zaheer > Tenzin + Kya + Bumi.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Rewatching Korra S3 and one complaint I see pretty frequently is just wrong. Tenzin is kicking Zaheer's ass until Zaheer's colleagues show up (Zaheer gets one neat dodge but is otherwise running the whole fight). Even then, Tenzin is a match for like two and a half of them. But the three masters + Zaheer > Tenzin + Kya + Bumi.

Zaheer does really well against people who haven't fought an airbender before which is a common trope in both series. The obvious explanation being that no one has any experience fighting them until Korra Book 4 where airbenders also seem to lose their advantage. Kya and Tenzin are the only major exceptions and it is quite obvious why.