Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lisan al Gabe

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Lisan al Gabe!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lisan al Gabe

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    Jean-LucJean-Luc Registered User regular
    Water of Life soda and Little Maker's Real Melange are the real jokes here. I just wish the hoodie showed a shadow silhouette of a mouse against a moon backdrop.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Worm swoosh on shoes too.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I want them in in Sketchers form. More comfortable when you need to do some walking with an uneven stride.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I want them in in Sketchers form. More comfortable when you need to do some walking with an uneven stride.

He's probably just used to having Air power from Caladan.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Just Dune It

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    It probably wouldn't have worked, but I would have liked to see a Lisan al Gabe joke.

• Options
    KeitreKeitre Registered User regular
    Check the title.

• Options
    True. Though I meant more with actual Gabe in the strip.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Why are the eyes green though? The water of life is also green? Was a color filter added at the end that shifted everything?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    This brings up the one of the points I didn't care for in the film adaptation. This idea that the Fremen were divided into a more secular Northern Group and a Fanatic Southern group. Doing this does kind of make Stilgar look like a buffoon, particularly when contrasted to Chani's continued skepticism. The fact is, all the Fremen where zealots, including Chani. You don't embark on galaxy spanning Jihad that kills over 61 billion people by being moderates.

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    Why are the eyes green though? The water of life is also green? Was a color filter added at the end that shifted everything?

I'm guessing a minor difference in the display temperature settings of the monitor/device used to create the image and ours, if a sepia filter was not intentionally applied.

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »

I'm guessing a minor difference in the display temperature settings of the monitor/device used to create the image and ours, if a sepia filter was not intentionally applied.

Or they're high on pot.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    This comic made me giddy with geek reference and geek reverence and i love it!

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Stilgar's fanaticism is funny until the end of the second movie when he and those like him start a holy war and it all becomes very serious very fast.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Stilgar's fanaticism is funny until the end of the second movie when he and those like him start a holy war and it all becomes very serious very fast.

It is kind of a jarring transition. Stilgar has a very limited role in the first film, but he doesn't show any of this fanaticism. In fact, he's fully prepared to kill Paul for his water at the end of the first film. So, the transformation into borderline zealot buffoon in the beginning of the second film is all the more pronounced. I suspect, given the amount of time that passed between the filming of parts 1 and 2, that Villeneuve made some additions and tweaks that he later has to kind of retrofit into the narrative.

• Options
    edited April 26
    And really, the jihad isn't really shown to be such a bad thing in the films. All the viewer sees is that
    a) they're fighting the awful horrible mean Harkonnen
    b) they're fighting a bunch of ships that invaded their homeworld and are going to start bombing them

It doesn't really show
    c) they're going to go out to all the planets and put them to the sword until they recognize Paul and the Fremen as their rulers

dennis on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    come on down to Nissan Al-Gaib, motors without rhythm! guaranteed not to attract the worm!*

*there are no guarantees in the desert

• Options
    By keyless entry alone I set my car in motion.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fiat is the mind-killer

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    And really, the jihad isn't really shown to be such a bad thing in the films. All the viewer sees is that
    a) they're fighting the awful horrible mean Harkonnen
    b) they're fighting a bunch of ships that invaded their homeworld and are going to start bombing them

It doesn't really show
    c) they're going to go out to all the planets and put them to the sword until they recognize Paul and the Fremen as their rulers

Well guess what the now confirmed to be happening third part will be about :p

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Fiat is the mind-killer

Other vehicles will pass by me, and only towing bills will remain.