Options

I haven't run my dishwasher in years; help

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
edited April 25 in Help / Advice Forum
My apartment has a small dishwasher. I have mostly ignored it because 1) I grew up without a dishwasher and 2) when I used it, it performed... less than satisfactorily.

I have recently learned that I was Doing Dishwasher Wrong, and I'd like to at least give it a fair shot. However, I've heard that the seals/gaskets on dishwashers are notorious for failing when you don't run the thing for an extended period of time. What's the best course of action here:
  1. Replace seals and/or gaskets, just to be safe (which seals and/or gaskets? where are they located? results of google search are frustratingly vague on these points)
  2. Just run the thing and see if it leaks (what if it leaks into or through the floor where I can't see it? is that a thing that can happen?)
My kitchen floor is tile, badly installed directly on top of the old linoleum, if it matters. I live on the second floor, so an invisible leak would go directly into my downstairs neighbors' kitchen and/or wall.

edit: paragraph spacing. It doesn't matter but it was bothering me

Calica on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You can usually take off the bottom front plate and access underneath the dishwasher somewhat. You could stick a thin towel under there or just run it and look. It'll be apparent if there is a leak pretty quickly.

What were you doing wrong with the dishwasher before?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    1) Not preheating the water and 2) using detergent packets like a chump, apparently!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    To be honest, I've never had a dishwasher that was even connected to the warm water pipe and wouldn't take detergent tabs. So less you using using the dishwasher wrong and more that being a weird dishwahser.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what you mean by preheating the water. The dishwasher should be plumbed directly to the water lines.

The pods aren't necessarily bad. Moreso that they are expensive and you get similar results from powder, if you don't overload and make sure all the nozzles aren't blocked.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Does someone have a link for the videos from the youtube dishwasher expert guy to answer honovere and Mugsley's questions? :D

The short version is that you get better results when you run hot water in your sink faucet first so that the water is actually fully hot as soon as the dishwasher starts (because most people's hot water takes a minute or so, or sometimes significantly more, to fully heat up, and dish washers are more effective with really hot water), and that pods don't provide any detergent during the prewash part of the dishwasher cycle and you want detergent during that phase for better results. I think he said that if you use pods you also want to have some powder on hand to add to the prewash detergent compartment/area. I've never watched the videos in full though, just bits of them, so it would be great if someone could provide actual links for interested folks.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    every dishwashing machine I've ever heard of heats its own water up and draws from the cold water line, it's got heating elements in the sides running alongside water reservoir pipes.

But yeah I second the shoving a towel underneath as best you can and under the door, and checking if they are getting wet as you test run it. Also figure out how to stop the dishwasher and cancel the cycle midway through so it drains itself, in case it does leak.

e: ok google says I'm wrong, only modern dishwashers heat their own water, older ones do need to use the house hot water, and modern ones probably work better with a hot water connection. We may have installed ours wrong but it still works pretty well so.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I only ever connected one line to mine and I'm 90% sure it's the cold line. My dishwasher is from about 2019.

I learned about dishwashers from this guy, and he generally says the same thing about detergent (re: the pre cycle) but it's a Friday and I'm at work.

(This is long but good)

https://youtu.be/_rBO8neWw04?si=Qv94oMiAq8nKs4-9

• Options
    looked into it further and my specific brand of dishwasher, bosch, says use cold water, but other designers may want you to use pre-heated water. So at least we didn't connect ours up wrong lol.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I only ever connected one line to mine and I'm 90% sure it's the cold line. My dishwasher is from about 2019.

I learned about dishwashers from this guy, and he generally says the same thing about detergent (re: the pre cycle) but it's a Friday and I'm at work.

(This is long but good)

https://youtu.be/_rBO8neWw04?si=Qv94oMiAq8nKs4-9

he also had one follow-up video about detergent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6-eGDpimU

they are both pretty long videos but I enjoy his video essay style.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Did it leak?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Shameless promotion: come over to the Homeowner thread! We only bitch about the previous owners or landlords once per week!

Current bitch session: electrical panels are never labeled properly!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/249530/house-homeowner-thread-how-much-money

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    My best advice if you haven't run a dishwasher in years would be to run a few cycles with it empty. First 2 cycles you should use vinegar in place of detergent. The last cycle use your regular detergent. Use the hottest settings your washer has. The seals will probably be fine but I agree with the other folks here saying to put a towel under the door, just in case.

And if your dishes are REALLY dirty and don't come out clean the first cycle, you're allowed to run them through again. Even 2 cycles in a dishwasher should be more efficient than 1 round of handwashing. Especially if you air dry your dishes instead of heat drying them.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Does your apartment have maintenance people who can give it a once over? If there's gaskets or whatever that need replaced it sounds like their problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Did it leak?

I haven't gotten around to actually running it, but I'll be sure to update the thread when I do :p
    Does your apartment have maintenance people who can give it a once over? If there's gaskets or whatever that need replaced it sounds like their problem.

The landlord hires folks to do stuff as necessary, but response times are slow unless it's an actual emergency (my fridge/freezer was leaking water for months before it got looked at). For small, non-invasive repairs it's just faster and easier to do it myself.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Just going to put this here for shits and giggles. If for some reason you get cold feet and don't end up using your dishwasher, or it's going to require repairs/replacements you don't or can't do. I also have a dishwasher I don't use because I don't have enough dirty dishes to justify it. The thing makes a fantastic cupboard/pantry. I keep boxes of macaroni, noodle&sauce pouches, scalloped potatoes, stuffing, and so on and so on. Always have been the type to just buy 20 boxes of the shit to stock up for an easy side dish. And they all fit perfectly in the rack notches. I flipped the breaker off to prevent stupidity, and it's been like that for years.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 5
    My aunt used to keep cereal and such in her chest-height oven because she never used it.

Always a thrill as a kid to open the oven to get my fruity pebbles when we visited.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Did it leak?

I haven't gotten around to actually running it, but I'll be sure to update the thread when I do :p

The landlord hires folks to do stuff as necessary, but response times are slow unless it's an actual emergency (my fridge/freezer was leaking water for months before it got looked at). For small, non-invasive repairs it's just faster and easier to do it myself.
    On the one hand, I get it, on the other hand, you already aren’t using your dishwasher as is. If it’s leaking put in the work order and go back to doing what you are currently doing.

Also replacing anything on a dishwasher is a bit of a pain in the ass. I don’t have huge hands but I’ve had to replace a couple small things and I always bang up my hands a bit with dishwasher stuff.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Did it leak?

On the one hand, I get it, on the other hand, you already aren’t using your dishwasher as is. If it’s leaking put in the work order and go back to doing what you are currently doing.

Also replacing anything on a dishwasher is a bit of a pain in the ass. I don’t have huge hands but I’ve had to replace a couple small things and I always bang up my hands a bit with dishwasher stuff.

Good to know!