Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Muskovites

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Muskovites!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Muskovites

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Posts

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well surely this will calm things down!

  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Well surely this will calm things down!

    Yeah it's going to accelerate until it catches fire. Or sends a racist tweet.

    Definitely one of those, or both.

  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Well surely this will calm things down!

    Yeah it's going to accelerate until it catches fire. Or sends a racist tweet.

    Definitely one of those, or both.

    Or getting stuck in the Nantucket sand.

    Or tearing off a side rolling over into a drainage ditch.

    Or undergoing a 5 hour reboot after going through the car wash.

    (Yes, these are all things that have happened to Incel Caminos in the wild.)

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    I think Muskovites are increasingly considered fair game. They are just behind the crypto bros in the hierarchy of valid internet mockery. So, I don't think the Mike and Jerry will have to worry about vendors boycotting their next PAX east event over this follow-up dunk on the cult of Elon.

  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Wow I've been out of the loop, now I want to see the drama.

  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I assume this comic is the one that was the source of roiling?
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2024/05/01/a-gentler-decapitation

    It is fairly wordy, but there's definitely denser comics...
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/i-hope-you-like-text

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I looked it up, it was on Tycho's tweet of the comic.

    Just insane people posting over and over again about "The left can't meme" because of this comic.

  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    It was about time the series got an overarching villain.

  • Options
    LaserJesusBeardLaserJesusBeard Registered User regular
    "I have simply been on here too long. The site, and its sacred tenets, were founded in 1998 - just a few years into the thrust of the consumer Internet. I simply can't be harmed in the way they have attempted to harm me. I speak to you now from within a callus of scars and shame; I recite these posts to my page, Sean Stamos, who is dutiful, handsome, and wise."

    This sounds really good unless you remember the Dickwolves stuff, and how you both were absolutely bullied into completely backing down. And I mean, I get it - weren't people talking about coming to Mike's house and murdering his wife and children? Yeah. But the point is, they won - not only did PA back down and remove all the dickwolves merch and mention of it, but since then the "edginess" of the jokes absolutely tapered off. In fact, the only time the strip ever gets edgy anymore is when it gets political, and it only gets political when it's against "safe" targets - that is to say, when it's against the targets of the same people who attacked PA over dickwolves and threatened to kill Mike's family.

    I get it - you both were in that unfortunate era when "liberal" had a sudden shift from free and expressive to spiteful and regressive. You're of my era, where being a liberal meant saying what you want, thinking what you want, flipping the bird to the establishment. And you were burned by that when the tribe you grew up in turned against you because there had been a subtle shifting of values that you didn't notice because you were too busy making fun of the church that oppressed you as a kid, or the popular jocks who bullied you in HS.

    But please - spare me the "I'm immune to this" nonsense. You're immune to it because the "Muskovites" aren't using the same tactics as the people who threatened to murder your families. They're coming here and they're writing things. In other words, they're acting the way you yourselves act. Sure, it isn't as effective as the dickwolves people, who proved that they can get you to bend over for them. I find it funny, though, that you're essentially mocking them for being ineffective because they're playing within the old rules of decency rather than doing as your fellow travelers did.

  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Please, let's not do this. There's a reason a lot of us aren't or have quit X.

    Do we really need to bring this here? There's absolutely nothing noble about stirring up shit on Twitter, then bragging about how you're immune to all shit that gets thrown at you on Twitter. Or X. Or whatever it's called before it gets sold again, torn apart, and ends up being the MySpace of this generation.

  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    If you read Tycho's post, there's nothing of that.

    It's entirely about a really weird demographic of people who get very upset because someone made fun of a dude that got really mad at some kids making fun of his truck. That's it.

    It's also a demographic that somehow thought that saying "your comic is boring" is going to affect him, especially because they already went through many many things, Dickwolves included.

    That's it. These last two posts seem to have gone way deeper than it really had to.

  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    nonsense

    Yeah, sure, Muskovites wouldn't threaten someone.

    They especially wouldn't threaten teenagers with ripping off their head and spitting down their throat. Never ever.

  • Options
    LaserJesusBeardLaserJesusBeard Registered User regular
    Yeah, sure, Muskovites wouldn't threaten someone.

    They especially wouldn't threaten teenagers with ripping off their head and spitting down their throat. Never ever.

    I'm going to respect your intelligence enough to assume you're deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say "Muskovites" (fuck, what a stupid term) can't be assholes, or the dipshit in the cybertruck wasn't an asshole. I said that the response to his post was tweets - that is, communication - and not misrepresenting boycott and smear campaigns and death threats to families. In fact, you can read it right here:
    You're immune to it because the "Muskovites" aren't using the same tactics as the people who threatened to murder your families. They're coming here and they're writing things.

    Did cybertruck guy come here and write things? No? Then I obviously wasn't talking about him, was I?

    Don't rely on misrepresentation or intellectual dishonesty to make your points - if your points rely on these, then be better and make better points.

  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    There is zero misrepresentation or intellectual dishonesty in the point I've made. Some Muskovite made a death threat. Many of them were angry and wrote retorts and insults online. This is exactly the same as what happened with the Dickwolves; a lot of people got angry and explained why they were angry in different articles, blog posts, etc. Some others insulted Mike and Jerry. A few nutjobs allegedly made death threats (which is unacceptable and inexcusable whether you're rightfully upset at rape jokes or wrongfully upset at your cybertoy failing).

    In both cases, we have a very small but very vocal minority of crazies, in a large group that kept it to words.

    The reason the Muskovites are arguing on Twitter isn't because they're better people than those angry during the Dickwolves situation; it's because many of them at this point are terminally online and have fully bought in their silly mantras like "the left can't meme"; to them, the idea of "ratio-ing" Tycho is the same as destroying his ego and whole self, because that's all they have.

    I'm sorry, but I don't buy your whole "intellectual honesty" spiel when your original message had thinly-veiled anger at the "liberals", and mischaracterized the response to the Dickwolves situations ("misrepresenting boycott", really?). You also leaned very heavily on the death threats suggesting that it alone is the reason P-A's tone shifted over time, and why the Dickwolves merch disappeared. Everyone changes over 20+ years, and while it's not unreasonable to suggest that the backlash to the Dickwolves situation accelerated a shift in tone at P-A, you have to remember that way back then, Mike himself had said that the most important (and perhaps sole) reason for removing all the Dickwolves stuff is because as much as he'd have liked P-A and PAX to be completely different and separate things, they were not, and he couldn't accept the idea that stuff happening with P-A (the site, the strip) could make PAX (the big gamer con) an unsafe, unwelcoming or inaccessible space. He would sooner change P-A for the benefit of PAX than change PAX for the benefit of P-A.

    Djiem on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    "I have simply been on here too long. The site, and its sacred tenets, were founded in 1998 - just a few years into the thrust of the consumer Internet. I simply can't be harmed in the way they have attempted to harm me. I speak to you now from within a callus of scars and shame; I recite these posts to my page, Sean Stamos, who is dutiful, handsome, and wise."

    This sounds really good unless you remember the Dickwolves stuff, and how you both were absolutely bullied into completely backing down. And I mean, I get it - weren't people talking about coming to Mike's house and murdering his wife and children? Yeah. But the point is, they won - not only did PA back down and remove all the dickwolves merch and mention of it, but since then the "edginess" of the jokes absolutely tapered off. In fact, the only time the strip ever gets edgy anymore is when it gets political, and it only gets political when it's against "safe" targets - that is to say, when it's against the targets of the same people who attacked PA over dickwolves and threatened to kill Mike's family.

    I get it - you both were in that unfortunate era when "liberal" had a sudden shift from free and expressive to spiteful and regressive. You're of my era, where being a liberal meant saying what you want, thinking what you want, flipping the bird to the establishment. And you were burned by that when the tribe you grew up in turned against you because there had been a subtle shifting of values that you didn't notice because you were too busy making fun of the church that oppressed you as a kid, or the popular jocks who bullied you in HS.

    But please - spare me the "I'm immune to this" nonsense. You're immune to it because the "Muskovites" aren't using the same tactics as the people who threatened to murder your families. They're coming here and they're writing things. In other words, they're acting the way you yourselves act. Sure, it isn't as effective as the dickwolves people, who proved that they can get you to bend over for them. I find it funny, though, that you're essentially mocking them for being ineffective because they're playing within the old rules of decency rather than doing as your fellow travelers did.

    This is a hell of a way to join the forums.

  • Options
    LaserJesusBeardLaserJesusBeard Registered User regular
    This is a hell of a way to join the forums.

    I'm not new.

  • Options
    LaserJesusBeardLaserJesusBeard Registered User regular
    whether you're rightfully upset at rape jokes or wrongfully upset at your cybertoy failing

    Haha, right. Rightfully upset.
    your original message had thinly-veiled anger at the "liberals"

    I don't consider anyone who partakes in the kind of vitriol that's common now "liberal." Co-opting the term doesn't make it true. I'm liberal - hence, "You're of my era, where being a liberal meant saying what you want, thinking what you want, flipping the bird to the establishment." But that isn't here nor there, and you're attempt to politicize my post is just more proof that the dickwolves surrender was complete, and PA is held by those who tore it down. And just to clarify, what happened was that the people who attacked PA also went after PAX, with the usual smear tactics (ie, going after advertisers/sponsors/game companies and demanding that they pull out or else they would be "rape supporters" like J&M). Mike realized that PA could survive, but PAX couldn't, and so surrendered to save PAX. The bullies won.

  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This is a hell of a way to join the forums.

    I'm not new.

    You know we can see your profile, right? You joined 16 minutes before making that post up there

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LaserJesusBeardLaserJesusBeard Registered User regular
    You know we can see your profile, right? You joined 16 minutes before making that post up there

    burner account
    noun
    plural: burner accounts
    : an often temporary social media account that is created for the purpose of remaining anonymous.

  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    People do burner accounts on PA Forums these days? My account here is old enough to drink and honestly, who would roll an alt on a forum where the moderators can literally look at identifiers and find out who you're the alt of (which is why nobody has ever really bothered to to that before), and somehow missed the big "Gabe and Tycho don't read the forums" that's held true for decades (multiple) at this point.

  • Options
    LaserJesusBeardLaserJesusBeard Registered User regular
    Internet isn't what it used to be, and the PA forum is one of the last ones I still peruse. I'd rather my experience not be destroyed by spiteful, petty people.

  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe so that when the inevitable ban for being an alt drops they can delude themselves into thinking it was for Speaking Truth to Power

    I'm going with "caught out in an obvious lie so trying to brazen it out", myself

    It's the Elon Musk way

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    To be fair, if I wrote that, I wouldn't want people to know it was from me.

    Djiem on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Christ, what an asshole.

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    I'm sure their main is an upstanding member of the community that's never caused any issues.

    dennis on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Banned.

    Thank you, mods.

  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Wow I've been out of the loop, now I want to see the drama.

    monkey's paw curls

    Actually, every now and then the emergence of a LaserJesusBeard is kind of interesting. I've grown quite accustomed to the community here because it is a well moderated haven of reasonability...honestly the comic is a bit ancillary to my use of the site. In that experience it's easy to think, "wait, there are people who follow Penny Arcade that would defend Musk and Cybertrucks?" But then I have to remember that Penny Arcade is getting posted on Twitter and Facebook, where it's going to have a big audience and easy commenting without needing to make an account. And the Dickwolves reference has reminded me that Penny Arcade, once upon a time, was not so different from, say, CAD as I might like to think. And then I remember that I read quite a bit of CAD back in the day, myself...and if I really want to hate myself, I go back and read my posts on this forum from a decade ago...

    Which makes me think a big reason the Cybertruck comment in particular got pushback may have been that, while many of us have grown up, and the writers have grown up, and even the characters of Gabe and Tycho have grown up...many who became fans of PA back in the day will not have grown up, and take it as a "betrayal" that the comic no longer provides a dose of rape jokes.

    Also holy crap 1998...

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    If Penny Arcade can't stand behind dickwolves, they lose the right to dunk on drug-addled billionaires sure is an interesting proposition.

  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    When I clicked to see the unread comments, it skipped past a lot of them. Is that intentional when a moderator acts in a thread or just a coincidence?

    Anyway, Elon Musk is my hero

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Say what you like about Hitler, but he did kill Hitler

  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    When I clicked to see the unread comments, it skipped past a lot of them. Is that intentional when a moderator acts in a thread or just a coincidence?

    Anyway, Elon Musk is my hero

    I'm so, so sorry.

  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    When I clicked to see the unread comments, it skipped past a lot of them. Is that intentional when a moderator acts in a thread or just a coincidence?

    Anyway, Elon Musk is my hero

    No it's the forum software being ever more flaky in various ways over the last few months. The skipping to last post instead of last unread has been happening on and off for months on mobile.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The best thing about Elon related things is when the weird nerds turn up to defend him.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 19
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    When I clicked to see the unread comments, it skipped past a lot of them. Is that intentional when a moderator acts in a thread or just a coincidence?

    Anyway, Elon Musk is my hero

    I'm so, so sorry.

    No, it is truly an impressive man who can muscle his way into control of seven different companies that weren't his original idea and somehow be the worst thing to happen to every one of them.

    He's a lesson to us all, that failure is not the barrier to success. Generational wealth is!

    Hevach on
  • Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    God dangit, i read this one late... :S, missed my chance. But when i first read the title of the comic, before reading, i was hoping it was about Perovskites, Oh well :(, just gotta stomp some Elon Ego duffins

  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Elon Musk is the only person to ever have inherited money

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    Elon Musk is the only person to ever have inherited money

    You're really going for something here.

  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    Elon Musk is the only person to ever have inherited money

    That's not true, there's also trump... oh.

  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 20
    Plenty of people inherit money and then meander through the industries failing their way through executive jobs.

    What's unusual about Elon Musk in that capacity is that most rich failures you can look at their history and find that at least 30-50% of the time they accomplish nothing positive or negative, they are merely a presence in the occasional meeting and a very large paycheck as existing inertia carries the company around them. Musk is a rare example of somebody who is 7 for 7 in inflicting real quantifiable damage on companies and 5 and 2 for that damage being potentially existential. There's an argument for SpaceX being existential as well but as long as Falcon remains largely unchallenged the four year stall in Raptor development probably won't prove the downfall of anything except Artemis 3.

    Perhaps more amazingly three of those he openly called intentional. Arguably four since Grok despite being its own company is clearly just Twitter wearing glasses.

    Hevach on
Sign In or Register to comment.