Options

[Doctor Who] Still not ginger.

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
edited June 21 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the Doctor Who Thread.

A place where we talk about a mysterious time traveler that fixes the universe. Hell, he even rebooted it!

No one knows what he is. That is the idea!

Now, the Doctor has to figure out what is going on with Ruby. His memories of her being dropped off as a baby have changed and
, somehow, she can make it snow anywhere.

So, join us on an adventure of a lifetime!

https://youtu.be/nduSPlZ0x7k?si=fKN3ceKrFBr_8IQX

Krathoon on

• Options
    The old Doctors never talked shop. Or at least not with Tom Baker.
    https://youtu.be/H85hYqPeiCw?si=2C7ghOt6D-P6R5Q2

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Still working on the watch through with our daughter. Currently in Clara’s final season (indeed, we’re in the Viking village episode):

We’re considering giving her a pass on watching 13 but I think she’s going to want to watch them all though.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I'm sure 13 is less dreadful from a child's perspective. Oh, to relive my less cynical days.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    As someone said in the last thread about BOOM,
    Having the AI shut itself down or having the holy soldiers surrender would have been better than the virus dad.

It seems this Doctor is about emotions, but didn't connect for me.

• Options
    I have this suspicion that Pertwee and Troughton and Davison did hang out, but they didn't invite Tom Baker.

I have seen interviews with those three.

• Options
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I have to wonder - how many vowels would "Welsh folk horror" involve?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Just 1:
    BOOOOOOOOOO!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Just 1:
    BWWWWWWWW!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited May 25
    73 Yards

So, I guess elder Ruby was such an anomaly that she scared the hell out of everyone.

Again, it plays off the theme that something is wrong with Ruby.

Oh yeah. She may be the "One who waits". She may be a god and the Doctor may have to stop her.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited May 25
    73 Yards
    I mean. She scared the Brigadier and Unit. That is god like stuff.

Still, it may have just been an interaction with the perception filter and the fairy circle.
    Fairies are a real thing in the Doctor Who universe. Just look at the Torchwood episode.
    The whole thing may have been a plot by the fairies to stop the Prime Minister.

Or, a test for Ruby.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Basically, the episode is one of those horror stories where supernatural, unexplained stuff happens.

Fear of the unknown.
    What baffles me is that somehow elder Ruby said something or gave off an impression that was so unspeakable that her own mother shunned her.
    That is the true horror of the episode and they don't reveal what it was.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I was hoping to order an espresso from
    the cafe table, but instead:
    https://www.stephen-fielding.co.uk/

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I have this suspicion that Pertwee and Troughton and Davison did hang out, but they didn't invite Tom Baker.

I have seen interviews with those three.
    Baker is famously... let's go with "prickly", in that he gets along amazingly with some people and not others.

He fell out with his own son, until running into him by pure chance in a NZ pub, and yet got on so well with Vic Reeves that he sold his house to him after the 2000 remake of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). And the on-set sniping between Baker and Louise Jameson (Leela) is relatively infamous.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    It's honestly amazing that, sixty years later, this show still is capable of having episodes as deeply weird as this latest episode. I didn't realize how excited I was for new Doctor Who and how much I missed it during the Chibnail years until it came back.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It was so weird. Largely in a good way. Really unsettling, strangely sweet at times, surprising, and beautifully produced.
    Immediately throws you off by not having the credit sequence. Seeing the story name right at the cold open told me it was going to be different.

We've had "Doctor-lite" episodes before, and usually their absence is the catalyst or result of the peril. But I can't remember one where it is just unexplained altogether.

We never got even the slightest explanation for what was going on. Is the distance significant? Who knows. What about the gestures the woman kept making? Never even mentioned.

Why was everyone in the pub at the beginning being such an absolute asshole to a stranger who walks in? I expected some reveal about them having a horrible secret, not because of "Welsh racism" but because they were just horrible human beings to Ruby who was not making any kind of trouble.

The only concrete tidbit we got, and I think it's a big one, is confirmation from Lethbridge-Stewart that we've got supernatural stuff going on and the show will address that head-on.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    73 Yards
    I assume that the elderly ghost Ruby's mere presence scared people. Like there was something horribly wrong.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Elderly ghost ruby: "I never flush the toilet after using it, and I never return the shopping trolley to the trolley park."
    Ruby's mum: *Immediately disowns her, runs as far away as possible.*

• Options
    It was a pretty good horror story because things become horribly broken and we don't really know why.

• Options
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Gotta say, it looks like the bad kind of Who

• Options
    It shows you how powerful the fairies are. They obliterated the Doctor with just a fairy circle.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    I'm...not sure what I just saw in 73yrds. Very unsettling but I don't think it quite pays off. No explanation is one thing but I don't think it makes any sense at all!
    So Ruby becomes the ghost lady following her. But somehow after this loop she stops the Doctor breaking the circle? How? Why?
    This is a very weird Bootstrap Paradox episode. So Ruby is the one who saves the world from nuclear psycho - but the Doctor learns of this, and tells Ruby who then saves the world...
    But the 2nd time, it plays differently, so is the world still saved? Will Gwilliam be stopped? How?
    Why is she so scary? Kate was affected over her earpiece so it has to be audio. What's the deal with the hand gestures?
    Why did the Fairy Circle have a prayer about the future psycho? How would it be in the past?

I sort of hope this episode gets looped around to because it's kind of bad. It's just nonsense.

• Options
    PinDropPinDrop Registered User regular
    This is a great season. I am really liking the two leads.

• Options
    edited May 26
    73 Yards
    From what I understand, the fairy circle was supposed to stop Mad Jack from happening, but the Doctor broke it and paid the price. Then, it was up to Ruby to fulfill the prophecy. Once she did, the faries gave everything back.

It was a punishment for breaking the circle.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Yeah except:
    Ruby reads the inscriptions not the Doctor. And she reads more than one. And beings that can wink the Doctor out of existence? Someone page the Trickster because even he couldn't do that. The Doctor has fought literal gods.
    Yeah the more I think about this episode was total bollocks. You want me to believe in Fairy magic? Show me actual Fairies. Actually have a plot. What this episode was is a lot of ideas smashed together with no glue. It's somehow worse than Moffat Fairy Tale writing.
    It's not clever because it doesn't explain anything, it's just dumb as Benoit Blanc would say.

• Options
    edited May 26
    It is going to be one of those episodes that annoy people because it does not explain everything. This is a form of horror storytelling.

The movie Hereditary also used it.

Hereditary did it better because you can dwell on it and piece things together.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    73 Yards
    Really, I think it would have been better if the ghost was not Ruby. They could have left it a mystery. Like the ghost was a fairy and she came for Ruby when she died.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Much like in Listen, the scariest monster for Dr Who fans isn't the Daleks, the Weeping Angels, or the Cybermen, it's ambiguity.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    Apparently
    According tot he actress for the old lady she was signing something the entire time using BSL - and the message was
    "Bless you. Thank you so much, That's so kind of you. When you gave me that little thing.
    It was just so precious. How am I ever going to repay you? But we will think of something"

Make of that what you will.

Now Playing:
  • Options
    I guess my issue is, it doesn't tell a good story.

I went back and watched what I think most people would consider one of, if not THE, best nuWho stories - Heaven Sent. That also spends almost the entire runtime on mystery and creepy atmosphere. But unlike 73 yards, it pays it off. It tells a good story.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Meh 73 Yards was a good yarn and a nice showcase for Millie Gibson to be the lead for once and it did push the overarc forward a bit with the revelations UNIT knows something is fucky with the supernatural hemming into the real world and somehow Ruby and her snow powers are connected, so it’s not a total wheel spin.

I’ll take these kinds of thoughtful Twilight Zone-style episodes every time over Moffat’s hamfisted allegory and pervasive random-cruelty-as-plot-device.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    73 yards, because it's Disney now and metric is for winners suckers:
    My whole fam was left mystified by that one.

Like, I get that one style of storytelling would be the mysterious unexplained horror phenomenon. Sure. It's not my cup of tea, but I get it.

But to me there's a difference between "unexplained" and "contradictory". Like, ok, the old lady is Old Ruby. I kinda figured it was a possibility, since the shot reminded me a lot of Amy and Rory seeing their older selves on the distant hill.

But if so, why 73 yards? Why would Old Ruby not get any older? How did she travel back in time, and why would that have anything to do with scaring people away irrationally?

The early bits established 73 yards as a distance without a vector (could appear on either side of Ruby). So how did she know the old lady would appear next to the PM and not anywhere else on the 73 yard circle around her?

If Old Ruby was a warning/lesson from the fairies, why wouldn't it end with the PM crisis resolved? And if the warning really was about not breaking the circle, why appear at all after the damage has already been done?

Guess I just don't get Welch horror? :/

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    It was so weird. Largely in a good way. Really unsettling, strangely sweet at times, surprising, and beautifully produced.
    Immediately throws you off by not having the credit sequence. Seeing the story name right at the cold open told me it was going to be different.

We've had "Doctor-lite" episodes before, and usually their absence is the catalyst or result of the peril. But I can't remember one where it is just unexplained altogether.

We never got even the slightest explanation for what was going on. Is the distance significant? Who knows. What about the gestures the woman kept making? Never even mentioned.

Why was everyone in the pub at the beginning being such an absolute asshole to a stranger who walks in? I expected some reveal about them having a horrible secret, not because of "Welsh racism" but because they were just horrible human beings to Ruby who was not making any kind of trouble.

The only concrete tidbit we got, and I think it's a big one, is confirmation from Lethbridge-Stewart that we've got supernatural stuff going on and the show will address that head-on.

What the fuck else are you going to do in rural Wales to pass the time?
    Plus making fun of the English is a time honoured tradition and also morally correct.

Now Playing:
  • Options
    It was funny that the Brigadier got scared. She got the hell out of there.

• Options
    I need to try marathoning Old Doctor Who.

The problem is, Old Who kind of drags. Especially, the black and white stuff.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I don’t feel like locals taking the piss out of strangers needs a special explanation.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Doesn't even need to be a Welsh v English thing

There was a pub with dickheads like that a couple of miles away from where I used to live

If you didn't have your own engraved tankard behind the bar you were basically painting a target on your face going in there

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I didn't like this one.
    I want more internal logic, too much happened with entirely zero explanation other than "she's magic, maybe, somehow?"

Fun setup and unsettling middle, the Kate bit was good, but a total lack of resolution left me cold.

• Options
    Yeah. I like how Kate was like, "To hell with you. I am out of here." without saying a word.