Options

Weekend in Houston - Advice and Recommendations?

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
Hi friends. I'm in Houston for work and will very likely have a great deal of free time over the weekend.

I'd love some tips, advice, recommendations if anyone has any!

I'm staying right downtown but would be happy to uber reasonable distances (for a hot second I thought about going to the Meow Wolf in Grapevine until I realized it's a four+ hour drive from here... woof). I normally love just walking around new cities, but this climate is nightmarishly humid so that's probably out. I'll probably dip in to see the new Mad Max but that's pretty much all I've got planned.

So I guess recommendations for museums, must-eat places, bars (barcades, cocktail spots, quirky dives), pretty much anywhere I can have some fun without melting like a human popsicle would be greatly appreciated. Been eating at Finn Hall a ton but definitely want to try some other interesting nearby places. I adore brisket, so any "you gotta get the brisket here" places would be awesome.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Natural History Museum is fantastic. Art museum is close by, but I haven't been there

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    -Gatlins BBQ on Ella is the best BBQ in the city and the state (fuck you Franklins), go there. Get moist brisket and their ribs with mac and cheese and yams, you won't be disappointed. pour the sauce on the mac and cheese.
    -Kim Son is excellent vietnamese/chinese food and right near downtown, on Jefferson St. just on the other side of 59. House special Egg Foo Young is gear 5 of delicious.
    -EaDo (East Downtown) has some bars and restaurants to check out in the afternoon but not evening, as it's literally the SoDoSoPa meme from South Park.
    -you can visit the Galleria to shop and look but it's becoming a crime problem
    -I recommend if you want to Window Shop go to the Rice Village town shops, right over by Rice Stadium on Kirby and Rice Blvd. Safer and more unique.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    If you want a relatively one of a kind activity to do, I recommend visiting Nasa Space Center. They have a couple of different wings to the museum there, as well as two different bus tours. The one I did took us to see Mission Control, where there was a team going through a simulation. They also have a full Saturn 5 rocket you can walk around. It is going to be a 30 minute or so ride to get there.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    -Gatlins BBQ on Ella is the best BBQ in the city and the state (fuck you Franklins), go there. Get moist brisket and their ribs with mac and cheese and yams, you won't be disappointed. pour the sauce on the mac and cheese.
    -Kim Son is excellent vietnamese/chinese food and right near downtown, on Jefferson St. just on the other side of 59. House special Egg Foo Young is gear 5 of delicious.
    -EaDo (East Downtown) has some bars and restaurants to check out in the afternoon but not evening, as it's literally the SoDoSoPa meme from South Park.
    -you can visit the Galleria to shop and look but it's becoming a crime problem
    -I recommend if you want to Window Shop go to the Rice Village town shops, right over by Rice Stadium on Kirby and Rice Blvd. Safer and more unique.

lmaooooo everybody knows Franklin is better but Texiken isn't wrong about Gatlin otherwise, it's top fuckin tier.
    - If you're interested in Cajun / Creole, try Esther's Cajun Cafe, they were awesome last time I was in town.
    - If you want to go more upscale / refined in that vein, check out Eunice. Seasonal menu, very very good.
    - Natural history museum is awesome as was said
    - Also check out the butterfly center at the Museum of Natural Science! https://www.hmns.org/cockrell-butterfly-center/

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    Houston's too big to be walkable. If you call 311, the telephone operators will help you figure out a bus or tram route to get around which will be cheaper than taxis and ubers.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thanks all! I ended up visiting the natural science museum and checked out the super cool butterfly center. Ended up at a pretty darn good old school steakhouse (Vic & Anthony's). Also visited the aquarium, which was fine. Figured out the light rail which was helpful.

Here through Friday so will try to get out to some of the recommended eatin' spots. Have plans to go to a spot called Xochi which looks good.

Man this weather though. Don't know how folks manage on the regular.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Not sure if it's your thing, but next to music and BBQ then I would check out this place if I found my self in Houston. COTA

Bones heal, glory is forever.