Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

[chat]

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I have no basis for this but I think Host/Hostess clubs are an evolution of tea houses/brothels or something?

I dunno I don’t want to look it up

I think one difference is that for something like host clubs or soaplands, there is more of an implicit understanding about behavior on the part of the client. The woman is deciding if she's offering you a handy or sex or whatever else, the guest is supposed to still act properly. Whereas like a brothel gives much more of the impression of the power balance going the other way, I paid for sex and I'm gonna get it. That's a bit nebulous, but I think it's a big reason why like most soaplands and host clubs etc don't allow foreigners, because they're running way outside of the cultural playbook.

Tea houses are complex since like, there were lots of tea houses with lots of side businesses, but yeah tea houses were a frequent place for prostitution. But that was more of just straight up, traditional, here's some money gimme my sex prostitution.

Oh while we're on the topic, in Tokyo during the Tokugawa era the top male prostitutes made about twice what the top female prostitutes made. Top tier male courtesans were basically national celebrities, with woodblock portraits that tourists could buy and bring back home with 'em. The Shogunate outlawed prostitution 3 or 4 times in Tokyo... They never reversed the laws, it just never stuck, they'd make it illegal and Tokyo would keep doing it and then they'd announce it was illegal again.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Man it’s bad enough finding out someone isn’t as into you as you thought they were, but being robbed/scammed on top of that is just brutal

I think it’s most shocking when it’s something super obvious, but then again it’s probably a lot like cults where it’s a self-selecting system built only to entrap the most credulous and uncritical.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    chat
    Playing Fallout 4 and omg how did I forget how janky and shitty this settlement stuff was?

The resource cost? Sucks.

The building? Sucks in a perfectly janky Bethesda kinda way.

The management? Sucks because it's somehow both arduous and obtuse.

Just an impressive failure from top to bottom.

*goes out to look for more god damn things to scrap for fucking wood AND WHERE IS ALL THE ADHESIVE*

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Bethesda’s solution to always making junk inventory items that no one ever picks up was to make it necessary to pick all of it up

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    chat
    Neco wrote: »
    Bethesda’s solution to always making junk inventory items that no one ever picks up was to make it necessary to pick all of it up

Haha damn this is true, I never thought of it that way.

PSN: Honkalot
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    chat
    Tumin wrote: »
    Dear Chat,

I write to you from the second week of seventy eight months of imprisonment. I wish to apologize for my suggestion that we "do an airbnb", and my subsequent embezzlement of your $13.05 in investments, as well as copyfringt infringing use of a lovely graphic doodled by

Did you too fall prey to Samuel Ademis?

01062006.png

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    For all those who were wondering, 'what if there was a YouTube video of VHS footage of a jazz rendition of Title Fight's "Head in the Ceiling Fan?"' Well, you have very specific questions, but buddy, I've got you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgvQUJeEVc

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    chat
    Took the week off.

Tuesday would have been mom's 70th birthday.

I am anticipating an absolute disaster day emotionally.

chat
    ❤️ Sorry Ahava, it must be a difficult reminder each year

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    chat
    Neco wrote: »

Oh 100%

And tbh they do generally make fun (if broken) games!

But they also shit out games with the implication of "Yeah, it's broken. Also half assed. But that's what we do. So fix it for us. For free. You useless girls/boys. You know you like it.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    chat
    i cap my companionship budget to just below 1000 usd/week as to not become a poors

any sensible person would understa

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Okay so it's apparently not just me: everyone has noticed Google Maps now makes utterly braindead navigation decisions. For some reason it seems to think random side streets can totally be driven at exactly there speed limit, and there's no costs to corners.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    chat
    Honk wrote: »
    ❤️ Sorry Ahava, it must be a difficult reminder each year

It's also the same day as my high school graduation.

So I get to see all my classmates going "omg it's been 25 years!!!!"

And I'm like

Yeah. Yeah. My grandmother and mom were both there that day.

Sorry y'all

I'll try to stop being a bummer about little brain things

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aight, now I'll go vote.

r4kx2z142iyy.png

chat
    Now I feel really nauseous from the pills. And I am still barely mobile.

There’s really no winning is there.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Okay so it's apparently not just me: everyone has noticed Google Maps now makes utterly braindead navigation decisions. For some reason it seems to think random side streets can totally be driven at exactly there speed limit, and there's no costs to corners.
    They don't want you to use it because it gives you too much non advertisement engagement. They are clearly sinking the app slowly.

They don't want you to use it because it gives you too much non advertisement engagement. They are clearly sinking the app slowly.

I'm honestly circling paying for something else, since I actively dread going places in the city because I know Google Maps will give me an idiot routing decision these days.

chat
    Sucks how suddenly when they started being actively terrible you notice that a lot of google has functionally been like a public utility for society. Search, maps and email. Very important stuff, maybe not as important as water and electrical utilities but still very important.

chat
    I tend to use the built in navigation now whenever we borrow a car (either MIL’s Toyota or the Kia that some of our friends have). No idea what gps they’re using but I imagine it’s one of the paid ones.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my kingdom to only be given left turns if the intersection has a protected arrow

I love machine tools and metalworking Youtube.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I love machine tools and metalworking Youtube.

Have you discovered our Lords and Saviours, Abom79, Cutting Edge Engineering and Clough42?

chat
    Must’ve been using Google since like 7th or 8th grade? I remember using a mix of search engines before that. Then exclusively Google. Until now I’m creeping up on 40 years old. That’s a wild stretch of a run, until the last two year or so I have again started using many different search engines again.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited June 9

Rip the Ebrake in 30 seconds

Tumin on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 9
    chat
    Or…you drive faster than the speed limit, and slow down to the speed limit to turn.

I prefer Waze

zepherin on
    Maintain speed at 30mph. VTEC kicks in in 5...4...3...2...

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Don’t drive faster than the speed limit

You’ll be arrested

Police in pursuit. Deploying satellite-based countermeasures.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I’m still in England

the Brits are still at it

a weird people

They got that oompa loompa makeup still?

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 9
    chat

Before I had to stop working because of the serotonin syndrome, I had mainly stopped relying on the route given by maps in the delivery app and just went on my knowledge of the the city streets. I'm guessing like with everything else at google it's not allowed to just work, somebody has to keep poking at it making changes to justify their job.

Weaver on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The slow rot of Google has been depressing to watch. What was the last usable product they actually made? All their core apps feel like abandonware at this point.

My Pixel phone runs well but there will come a day....

edited June 9
    The slow rot of Google has been depressing to watch. What was the last usable product they actually made? All their core apps feel like abandonware at this point.

Google Keep isnt bad
    Lens works okayish and is quick
    Translate still works nicely and has offline support
    Sheets continues to improve
    Authenticator is pretty solid and theyve added secure backups finally (yay)

Tumin on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    chat
    Autocorrect is totally fucking mercurial about when/if it's going to switch any given instance of "in" to "I'm" and vice versa.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the English wedding was so weird

I cannot wait for a good old fashioned Irish wedding to get the taste out of my mouth

Did the Queen come

This discussion has been closed.