Options

Resumes, CVs and addresses

SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic AcceleratorRegistered User regular
I'm currently finishing up my doctorate and applying for jobs, and my wife and I are having dispute over the address section on either my CV or Resume. She believes I should be putting my full mailing address on both, and I'm of the opinion I don't know who will be seeing these documents and that is way more PII than I care to provide to random strangers. She regularly reviews resumes as part of her position and according to her they always include this information, and my opinion of that is that she has the PII of hundreds of applicants, well more than she needs. If I need to be mailed something they can always contact me via email or phone which I do provide.

I know this was standard practice 30 years or even 20 years ago, but even when I applied to grad school everything was completely digital. I didn't personally mail a single paper thing in and they never mailed me anything on paper. The interview I had recently the only person that knew my address was the one mailing me the expense check.

Am I being paranoid?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They will never look at your address except maybe to see which country you’re writing from (if that’s relevant for eg. Funding reasons). For mine, I put city, state, and country, and that’s it.

(Credentials for saying this: Am in a senior research position, have held research roles at several universities, have also looked at dozens of cv’s for hiring purposes, and have never once needed the precise address of any applicant, nor considered /cared if they left it off.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    from the standpoint of data security it's pretty unlikely to matter; unless you really move often or are deliberately trying to conceal it, your name/address is probably already known to anyone interested. There are lots of public sources for this kind of thing (voter registration, property transactions, etc) as well as whatever consumer databases you've manged to land in that've got passed around

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    You’re being overly paranoid. I would listen to the person who both would be at risk if this data were used maliciously and who regularly reviews resumes.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    City is all you need these days, I haven't included my address in like a decade

Only reason to do it is if your most recent experience is in another city and you want to have a local address on there? But they're not gonna send you a rejection via snail mail, and even if they're concerned about tax regulations for your province/state they just need to know your city, so. I think it'd just take up whitespace on your page.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I mean they're probably not going to send you a rejection at all, in most cases.

The important thing to remember here is that nobody cares where you live. It's PII but nobody cares about identifying you personally. They just don't. It's not going to matter. You're probably going to have to fill in your whole resume in the application system too, which means you're already going to be required to include all your location data in their system anyway. You'll be doing this 400 times or so.

Lose this argument with your wife. :)

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Way back when I finished undergrad, I always put a city, not an exact address. I'd often put the city where the company was based, since I was willing to move for a new job.

• Options
    Fuglie_gamerFuglie_gamer Registered User regular
    I'm currently finishing up my doctorate and applying for jobs, and my wife and I are having dispute over the address section on either my CV or Resume. She believes I should be putting my full mailing address on both, and I'm of the opinion I don't know who will be seeing these documents and that is way more PII than I care to provide to random strangers. She regularly reviews resumes as part of her position and according to her they always include this information, and my opinion of that is that she has the PII of hundreds of applicants, well more than she needs. If I need to be mailed something they can always contact me via email or phone which I do provide.

I know this was standard practice 30 years or even 20 years ago, but even when I applied to grad school everything was completely digital. I didn't personally mail a single paper thing in and they never mailed me anything on paper. The interview I had recently the only person that knew my address was the one mailing me the expense check.

Am I being paranoid?

You address is public knowledge there is no PI there. If you own a home or have a mortgage anyone can use your name and go look up your address. If you are renting it's different - that isn't public information and is harder to find but now days I doubt it would take someone dedicated long to find your address even then.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Well you're both right. It is a lot of PI and unnecessary, and it is standard to put it there. You're also right that you're being paranoid: no one at the company is going to take time to copy-paste your address from your resume to some database where it could be leaked or maliciously used. Also, odds are they also already have that info, if you ever interacted with them (say on online contact forms or a cash register or a fidelity card - I don't know what company you're applying at - or they bought a customer database from another company). So unless you are incredibly unlucky and have some stalker ex working in HR at that company who happens to stumble upon your CV, there's no risk writing it down.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    No, this is myopically silly advice. Do NOT put your address on your CV. Put the basic info they need to contact you, and nothing more. As someone who has hired well over a hundred people (not a lot, but not insignificant), the only thing I care about your location is "are you in the right place to do the job". That will either come up during the interview for physical jobs, or pretty quickly during the hiring process when HR needs your address/etc for payroll. If a US employee, a city/state is FAR more than enough info. The idea that "they already have your information" is doubly silly, but I don't want to turn this into that kind of thread, other than: "you are wrong".

It's also not paranoid. People tend to write (especially when young) one CV for many many many jobs, so you are just spamming that info out there to people who don't need it. Even if you happen to be asomeone who has a house, forcing them to go look it up at least incurs a cost for them in terms of time.