As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wisdom Teeth and the removal thereof

Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Well I just got back from getting them cut out. The doctor was nice enough and gave me a little advice on aftercare but I would also like to hear the opinions of other people who have had them removed. What are the dos and do nots. What about recovery time?

I am still a little groggy from the anasthesia so sorry if this OP is kind of weak.

/sig
The+Rabid+Llama.png
Rabid_Llama on

• Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mine bled like hell for 3 days so have plenty of gauze. Get a good handheld game and enjoy the painkillers for a few days.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I lived off of fruit smoothies for a day or two.
    Hopefully you have access to a food processor or blender, just mix up some yogurt, bananas, and whatever else floats your boat.
    Also, applesauce is good, scrambled eggs, avocados, anything soft that you can chew up front for a few days.

Hopefully the doc gave you a water syringe and some hydrogen peroxide to clean out your sockets.
    Using the syringe and a 50/50 water-H202 solution five (yes 5) times a day is a good idea.
    When you get up, after each meal (most important), and before you hit the sack.
    Your doc should have given you a schedule that tells you when to start doing this - if not, call back and ask when (based on your particular surgery) you are supposed to start syringe cleaning.
    Mine started 72 hours after the extraction, and continued 5 times a day for 5 weeks (i had deep roots - took that long for the tissue to build back up).
    Again, consult your cleaning schedule or call back and ask for one.

Using the syringe does not mean filling it up halfway and squirting in the "general area" of your sockets.
    It means fill that thing to the max with the 50/50 solution, stick the tip of the syringe DOWN INTO the socket (like you're a hair's width away from the bottom) and squirting it all out into the depths of the socket.
    It does not hurt at all, but note that you'll see all sorts of shit float out of those sockets (kinda gross).
    I needed a mirror and a flashlight to make sure I had the tip deep inside all four sockets.

You WANT to scour/abride away the food, dead tissue, blood, and other crap in there to encourage the healthy tissue to build back up.

Salt water rinses twice/day can be a good idea, as can ice packs during the first day or two - also check with your doc's instructions.

You should not use antiseptic mouthwash for at least two weeks, the alcohol properties can be counter-productive to your swift recovery.

Do NOT blow your nose for at least two weeks.
    The wall of tissue between your sinus and your upper wisdom teeth is a very thin, fragile membrane.
    Blow your nose before the tissue has built-back up, and you can tear it.
    The repair surgery is not a big deal and fairly quick - but you of course want to avoid it.

Here's to hoping your recovery is quick, I was eating most food after three weeks - and all food (nuts/chips/granola/etc.) after four.

EDIT:
    For reference, I was 30 when I had mine out (hence the deep roots) and they were not impacted.
    I had the IV sedation by an oral surgeon.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't smoke or drink out of straws.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This seems to come up a lot. Maybe dental care needs a sticky.

What kind of removal was it? Straightforward extraction? Were they impacted? are there big gaping holes or sewn up flaps of gum? details!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd like to stress again the importance of NOT SMOKING.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When you remove gauze and put in new gauze, you may want to lightly wet the new gauze. The gums can dry out, and it'll hurt jamming new gauze into your mouth - least, that's what I did.

Don't smoke, don't use a straw, don't even inhale through your mouth to hard. You have to protect the blood clot.

If you must spit, just squirt your mouth with water, and tilt your head forward - let it just dribble out. Yeah, it's nasty, but you're not damaging the clot. Stick with pudding, oatmeal, smoothies, until at least 3 days out. You'll find out what can be blended and not pretty fast, - I recommend mashed poptarts and carnation instant breakfast personally.

Are your stitches self-dissolving? Keep'em clean with the syringe. Also -, use a salt water mix with some water. Three or four times a day, wash it over your wounds. It help promotes healing, and keep'em clean. Careful with spitting, again, just let it dribble out. I recommend keeping a towel handy.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Put a teabag or two in your mouth, over your bleeding socketes - I don't know what it is in there, but something in the tea reduces the bleeding. PROTIP: tuck a dishtowel into your shirt collar if you do this, because there is an excellent chance you will get tea slobber all over yourself otherwise.

Don't try and eat solid foods too soon, either - I felt pretty good and gummed down some mac and cheese quite soon after I had mine out. Turned out, when I went back to the oral surgeon, I'd eaten the stitches from my left lower socket ... and I have a small hole that stuff gets caught in to this day.

Also, the rinsing out your sockets is way important. It is SUPER GROSS - imagine an entire broccoli floret surging up out of the depths of your little mouth-holes - but you don't want an infection. Watch out for bread - it can get really mushy as you chew it and then pack down in there for the duration.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Put a teabag or two in your mouth, over your bleeding socketes

This is great advice for any situation.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Put a teabag or two in your mouth, over your bleeding socketes

This is great advice for any situation.

Ugh, Halo 2 multiplayer flashbacks.

Just so you guys know, the doctor did give me a note with care instructions for my recovery, I just think it is nice to have a wide variety of opinions and experiences.

Well, I slept from about noon to 3 and I don't really remember much about the time between the surgery and going to sleep. My recollection of making the OP is hazy at best. Since 3 I have been playing PGR3 on my new 360 racing wheel and chilling out on hydrocodone (WAY overrated).

I have a few questions though. When you guys talk about socketes you make it sound like they are gaping holes, but I dont really have any gaping wounds that I can see. The doctor stitched them up, is this different? Maybe I just can't see them due to swelling. The bleeding has stopped, I think that is a good sign.

Anyway, I just had my first meal, baked potato soup. I am starting to feel a little queezy though, probably just the medicine. I am guessing vomiting should be avoided at all costs, but I really dont think it will come to that. Basically all I have done to keep food away from the areas where the teeth were is swish water around in my mouth. I have a syringe for squirting the hydrogen peroxide/H2O mix but I don't think I am supposed to use it tomorrow.

In the span of posting this the queezy feeling has subsided greatly. I am guessing my stomach is just cranky because I haven't eaten much all day.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh fuck I just threw up

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's okay, just GENTLY rinse your mouth with a little water - don't swish it around or anything, just put it in, tilt your head back, and drool it out. Don't swallow it either, don't want to upset your tummy again, and plain water can definitely do that. You probably don't want puke/bile in your sockets though, ick.

I wouldn't worry yet, although if you keep puking you might want to alert your doctor; he might want to switch you to a different pain med. Swallowing a bunch of blood from your gums might make you puke too, though, and so might a reaction to the anesthesia from earlier. See if someone can get you some green tea or ginger ale (I find that if it's flat it's more soothing to your tummy, btw).

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't want to hijack, but don't want to start a new thread. I have issues with anxiety, but nothing I'm taking medication for. I'm pretty afraid of anesthesia in general. Is this something I should actually worry about? Could it exacerbate any of the anxiety I'm currently dealing with?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, I kinda panicked there while cleaning the lower sockets and probably did a little more harm than intended. I wasn't very gentle with the sprayer syringe and my back left socket started bleeding again for a little while. Everything is fine now though. The doctor said it was probably the soup that did me in. It was probably just too rich for my stomach to handle on the first day. I just had some chicken broth and it is sitting just fine. He also perscribed another medicine that will help with the nausea.
    I don't want to hijack, but don't want to start a new thread. I have issues with anxiety, but nothing I'm taking medication for. I'm pretty afraid of anesthesia in general. Is this something I should actually worry about? Could it exacerbate any of the anxiety I'm currently dealing with?

Are you getting yours yanked too? Man, I was freaked out by the whole concept of going under before my surgery. The doctor had me pumping my arm as he was getting the anesthesia ready and I was pretty damn uneasy. Then the gas kicked in and I began to regret that I was going to have to go under soon because I was flying on that stuff. I was too busy worrying about not getting to have the gas very long to realize he had just given me a shot in my arm to be a local anesthetic so I wouldnt feel the IV go in. I couldn't have been awake and on the gas for more than 20 seconds. That was it, you just fall asleep. The next thing I know they are asking me how I feel and handing me my teeth. It was overall a very weird experience but now that I have done it once, I am not worried if I ever have to do it again. It was not at all a bad experience.

In short, there really isn't anything to be freaked out about.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It sucks how after they do it they're like, okay go home and drink a smoothie, BUT DON'T USE STRAWS!!!!!!!! I managed to forget that little nugget of information and promptly got a dry socket. Luckily, it was on my lesser used side and they packed it with this dried gunk that tasted like ass and it healed pretty quick.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I had mine out a few days ago, and it went fine. Rabid_Llama's right about the oxygen, that stuff feels daaaamn good right before you black out :P I didn't get my teeth back, though :( there was almost no swelling or bleeding in my case, just the numb lip for 24 hours or so.

healing has gone well so far, although my right sinus swelled up like a freakin' balloon a few days after surgery - I had this massive lump just below my temple and I couldn't close my jaw properly for about 18 hours. Its settled back down, but it might be a good idea to ask your doctor whether its worth grabbing some Clarytine or Pseudoephedrine in case that happens. The pressure is really damned uncomfortable.

I'm pretty much back to eating 'normal' softish foods already, although you won't find me chowing down on steak any time soon. Well-cooked pasta, scrambled eggs, and yoghurt/custard/anything tasty looking from the dairy cabinet are my go-to's. Its too cold for ice-cream here :P

For rinsing, Colgate's Savacol is really fantastic. Just dilute it 1:1 with water and swirl it around. Be gentle, but not paranoid-gentle - the wiki article on dry socket rightly points out that losing the blood clot isn't the end of the world. I can't actually tell if I even have mine on the lower teeth, but my surgeon's some kinda genius and its not like mine were impacted anyway, so it was a pretty neat job.

Oh yeah... if you're on codeine or similar opiates, take some fibre. Those pills back you up D:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    It sucks how after they do it they're like, okay go home and drink a smoothie, BUT DON'T USE STRAWS!!!!!!!! I managed to forget that little nugget of information and promptly got a dry socket. Luckily, it was on my lesser used side and they packed it with this dried gunk that tasted like ass and it healed pretty quick.

There's no point even trying on the first day anyway, your lips will be too numb to form a seal around the straw. Embarrassing!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Paté is possibly the best option to go to when you are craving a meat fix.

Blake T on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got mine taken out in bootcamp. It was the best boot day ever. Got to nthe doctor at 6am napped for an hour in the chair then they numbed my mouth and started to go to work. It smelled and it felt like they were pulling stringn out of me mouth. Around eight they let me go to the new medical building and gave me a room for the day and that night which I slept most of the day and had the best PB&J and pudding ever! Such a great reward for 7 weeks of stupid train.

And for some reason that night for dinner they game me beef patties with green beans that sesame seeds in it.

Yeah but only advice I can give is to prepare for sleepy time slobber. You could drown yourself litterally.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Best to sleep on your back with a lot of pillows to lift your head up anyway, it helps head off the swelling.

Man, I just got subway for lunch thinking I'd be fine, only to discover I couldn't yet open my jaw wide enough to bite the sammich. had to squash it flat and nibble. I felt pretty silly.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also, watch out for the meds they give you. I had 2 impacted teeth, so i had more pain than average, and I was on 600 mg of Ibporfen and something simlar to oxycotion every 6-8 hours. And I haf valium for the first day. By day 4 the drugs were messing me up pretty bad, as in freaking out and general weirdness.

i also took part of a standardized test (FCAT) while reducing the drug doses. I was freaking the fuck out the whole time. Shaking, wanting to run for the door, etc. In hindsight it was pretty fucking awesome/hilarious

ronzo on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    Also, watch out for the meds they give you. I had 2 impacted teeth, so i had more pain than average, and I was on 600 mg of Ibporfen and something simlar to oxycotion every 6-8 hours. And I haf valium for the first day. By day 4 the drugs were messing me up pretty bad, as in freaking out and general weirdness.

i also took part of a standardized test (FCAT) while reducing the drug doses. I was freaking the fuck out the whole time. Shaking, wanting to run for the door, etc. In hindsight it was pretty fucking awesome/hilarious

...shit. I don't think that would be good for me.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ditto on salt water, try to avoid solid foods and make sure to rinse out your mouth to get rid of any food etc that may get stuck.

When I had mine taken out one of them had roots that were at weird angles and so only partially came out. It's still in there, according to the dentist they'll come out over time.

It was painful and swishing salt water in your mouth isn't that pleasant either, but it's part of parcel of having the teeth removed. Not fun.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had mine all four of mine done a week ago. The lower two were impacted. I was freaking out beforehand because I have a huge fear of the dentist. They reassured me that people freak out all the time, and that everything will be ok. They gave me laughing gas to relax me to start with, and then they hooked me up to an IV. The last thing I remember is the nurse saying "You'll start to feel sleepy soon." Next thing I knew, they were helping me out of the chair and telling me that everything went fine.

The day-to-day pain afterwards wasn't too bad. 600mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day and I was good to go. I subsisted off of chicken broth for the first 3 days and am now back on small pieces of soft foods. Instant mashed potatoes made for a good transition food. And if you add a little gravy, you'll feed that meat craving too.

As far as cleaning goes, I rinse regularly with water and make sure to rinse with warm water and salt after every meal. I try to dislodge any pieces of food that may be stuck in my mouth. They told me not to actually use the syringe for the first week, so tonight I'm going to try to figure out how to work it. I am kind of in the same boat, in that I don't have any gaping holes. Is this abnormal?

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd just like to say thanks for all the protips in this thread. I got the confirmation call from my dentist this morning for my wisdom tooth removal next week. 3 impacted, 1 partially impacted. Sounds like I have a lot of fun to look forward to. :(

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'd just like to say thanks for all the protips in this thread. I got the confirmation call from my dentist this morning for my wisdom tooth removal next week. 3 impacted, 1 partially impacted. Sounds like I have a lot of fun to look forward to. :(

the pain pills are awesome if you are into that sort of thing. and you get holidays. its not all bad.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never kept the gauze in with mine, I also have a thing about drugs so I didn't take the penicillin that I was given.

I recommend finding a good TV show DVD set and sitting down and watching it. No straws and stuff like the aforementioned. I actually mostly drank carbonated water, and ate lots of ice cream.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Day 2 isn't too bad. The sockets don't hurt at all, I just feel like I got punched in the jaw on both sides and I am swollen on the outside. Just seems like I should avoid bumping my jaw around too much.

I have been keeping myself occupied with reading (combined with pain pills this equals sleep), and playing PGR3 with my new racing wheel (which I suck at terribly).

Also, I don't see how people get addicted to hydrocodone. The stuff is way overrated.

edit* maybe not too overrated, I just reread my post on the other page and it says basically the same stuff.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Boil some teabags until they are soft and mushy, then place them over the sockets (one per side) and bite down. Keep them bit down for a few hours, it'll stop the bleeding. There is a natural coagulant present in tea leaves and will make your life much, much easier.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also, I don't see how people get addicted to hydrocodone. The stuff is way overrated.

edit* maybe not too overrated, I just reread my post on the other page and it says basically the same stuff.

lmao

I heard a npr spot the other day where I think they referred to that med as "Hillbilly Heroine." Apparently its cheap and easily accesible so all of my redneck brethren are getting addicted to it. great nickname for a drug regardless.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

lmao

I heard a npr spot the other day where I think they referred to that med as "Hillbilly Heroine." Apparently its cheap and easily accesible so all of my redneck brethren are getting addicted to it. great nickname for a drug regardless.

Taken in pill form, it's addictive qualties are muted. It's taken in a different method by drug addicted users (of which I won't get into).

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »

Taken in pill form, it's addictive qualties are muted. It's taken in a different method by drug addicted users (of which I won't get into).

i thought that the drug company producing the things recanted that claim because of the recent rash of addictions. the story did imply that the drugs might be taken in other ways than their intended use so it was fair or so it seemed to me. I am no expert but the story was very interesting. Nor am I an illicit user of pain medication but I could certainly see how one could become hooked.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Pain medication addiction tends only to develop in people already experiencing substance abuse problems with other things, particularly booze. If you're not a huge drinker or whatever, your odds of getting hooked are insanely low. It also requires longer-term use than the few days you take it after a tooth op. There's no reason to be paranoid about taking painkillers, and avoiding their use when you aren't experiencing side-effects is actually bad for you - the additional stress placed on your body by the pain and the physiologial alert-state that goes with it actually slows down healing and taxes your immune system.

tl;dr: take the damn drugs unless they're making you react badly.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    gobassgogobassgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had my wisdom teeth taken out recently, and the drugs weren't bad at all. I felt a bit off-balance while walking around but I was perfectly level-headed. Trust me, the pain kind of sucks and the pills are just there to get you through that.

gobassgo on