As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead HD?

tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought an external HD enclosure (USB) for my 250 gig HD i bought a few days prior. I was moving my PC from the floor to the top of the desk and i unplugged all the cords and everything. I forgot that my HD ran off a different power source (meaning when i turn my PC off, the other HD is still on) and i unplugged it. Well, it wouldnt work after that. i thought i fried my HD.

Go forward 2 months and i was putting in an old HD for my friend. I figured i could just use my same external USB enclosure for that HD just to test it out. Well, THAT HD wasnt spinning either. So i tried to plug it straight into the power supply from the PC, and voila, it worked.

So that led me to believe that my external USB enclosure was fried, so i go back to my 250 gig, and plug it into my power supply in my PC, and it heats up.

Now, it doesnt spin, but it DOES heat up, meaning there is some power generating through it. Ive seen several COMPLETELY dead HDs that simply dont heat up, no noise, nothing.

My question is...is there any way to restore this HD? is there anything i should try? I dont want to give up hope and throw it out because ALL of my games, music, and 50+ movies are on it...i would love to get it back.

tuscloud311 on