As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why does everything have to be killed?

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Violent thread title aside, I've been wondering about certain companies' business models (and I don't mean an Arrested Development business model). It seems as though whenever a company produces a great product that woos the market, its rivals will try to combat it by launching a 'killer'.

Examples:

iPhone vs HTC Touch
iPod vs more or less everything else

What's more is that these products never do what they're intended to do. They get branded as possible [product x] killers, but when the products finally hit the shelves, they turn out to be bleak copies of the thing they were trying to kill in the first place.

Has anybody got an example of a product killer that actually ends up doing the job? And secondly, when will people realize this strategy isn't working, and that beating the market leader actually requires a product that does things differently, or at least better? Then again, there is also the question of the power of brand names, which I suppose is why I chose the two examples I did.

Any thoughts?

Toldo on

• Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007
    Newer products overtake older products all the time; as for specific examples where the new product was referred to as *old product*-killer beforehand I can't really think of any. I think it’s plain old fashion sensationalism. It's like when fighters promote themselves; they always make claims about how much they will dominate, it doesn't matter whether they win or lose it's about drawing a crowd. Also you sometimes get the overexcited fanboy who either wants to promote something they think will be interesting or defame the old product that has somehow vexed them.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    well... normally when a company's product are tagged for killing, they are already too large for the failure of that product to destroy the company.

Google killed just about every other search engine out there. All those companies were too big to go down, so they changed their products. Either they stopped competing by changing their business model, or they improved their product.

So the 'killers' don't really kill products. At least not frequently. Not that I can really recall.

They do frequently help to shape the market and force large companies to improve their products or services.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I still find it odd that there aren't any other 80g players out there. That would seem to be the logical competitive progression. What's the second largest? 30g? On Zune and Zen?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well I mean the Playstation put a pretty severe beating on the video game market, to just name one.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    You really only hear about "X-killer" claims when a product is sufficiently large and popular that there's a subculture backlash against it. We've heard about "WoW Killers" for years, mostly because there are people who dislike WoW, for various reasons. Ditto with iPods and popular video games like Halo.

The term seems much more popular with fanboys and cheerleaders than it is with actual marketers or vanilla consumers.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Well I mean the Playstation put a pretty severe beating on the video game market, to just name one.
    sega really killed itself.

Nintendo is doing fine now. Some of it's product were not a sucessful as they could have been, but they didn't die so much as became obsolete. It would have happened without help from sony, and now the Wii is probably the top selling console world wide, and whatever hand held they are on is dominating that market.

redx on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The top three selling handhelds are the DSlite, the DS, and then the PSP.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    redx wrote: »
    sega really killed itself.

Nintendo is doing fine now. Some of it's product were not a sucessful as they could have been, but they didn't die so much as became obsolete. It would have happened without help from sony, and now the Wii is probably the top selling console world wide, and whatever hand held they are on is dominating that market.
    Nintendo stayed profitable via rational business decisions, yes, but there's no denying that Sony cut pretty severely into their market share.

And since Playstation was the leader of the last two generations of hardware, could we rightfully call the XBox a Playstation killer? Because the 360 is no small reason the PS3 is collecting dust on most store shelves.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    See also fucktarded management on behalf of Sony with the PS3

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    See also fucktarded management on behalf of Sony with the PS3
    Yeah, but that's exactly the type of thing which opens the door for a "killer" product, and is why the competition inherent in a free market is extolled as a virtue.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    it isn't dead yet.

There are a great many things Sony could do to save it.

I still have a wee little bit of hope. They haven't crushed it all.

redx on
  • Options
    SinheliopistostophelesSinheliopistostopheles __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    redx wrote: »
    I still have a wee little bit of hope.

I don't.

Sinheliopistostopheles on
    legosiges6.png
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nintendo stayed profitable via rational business decisions, .

Do not forget Pokemon. I would say that was THE thing that kept bringing in sacks of money. Of course not making truly horrendous business decisions like Sega did helped a lot too.

Newres on
    960751-1.png