As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Program to Splice MP3s

twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello, trustworthy folks at H&A: I am once again in need of your assistance. I recently got a Motorola Q for my new phone (which I like very much, by the way). This phone supports mp3 playback in general and for ring tones. I'd like to be able to use some of my mp3 collection as ring tones, but I don't want to use entire songs. So, I'm looking for a program that will allow me to splice the mp3 by putting in the start time and end time of the portion I want, resulting in an extracted .mp3 of just that portion.

I'd specifically like this program to be for Mac OS X (PPC), but if someone can think of something on Windows I'll take a look at that, too. Hopefully this all made sense.:)

twmjr on

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You're on OS X, so... GarageBand? Open the mp3, select the part you want, drag it to a new track, delete the first track.

Alternatively (if you don't have / don't like iLife, I guess), Audacity will do the same thing. It's open source, and I assume it has a PPC version.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    You're on OS X, so... GarageBand? Open the mp3, select the part you want, drag it to a new track, delete the first track.

Alternatively (if you don't have / don't like iLife, I guess), Audacity will do the same thing. It's open source, and I assume it has a PPC version.

GarageBand doesn't seem to want to allow me to open an mp3 file into it. Am I an idiot doing something wrong? I will check out Audacity.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Audacity works perfectly for what I was looking for, so never mind about GarageBand. :) Thanks! (mods feel free to lock away)

twmjr on
  • Options
    oniianoniian Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you buy a USB data cable off ebay, sometimes a motorola phone tools cd comes as part of the package. Thats how I got my phone tools cd and was able to sync my calender, take photos off my phone, and cut up MP3s into the ring tones I want with added effects like fade-in/fade-out. There are plenty of other features on it too.

edit: didn't read past the OP

oniian on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Make sure you also grab the LAME Mp3 encoder so that you can actually export as MP3:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3

And if your phone has limited space, or low-fi speakers, make sure you go into Preferences and turn down the bitrate to something like 64kbps.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    lilylidoulilylidou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    there have many software can do this work,
    You can search it

lilylidou on
    :P:lol:
    Thanks You Comments
    MySpace Surveys
  • Options
    Pinch-a-LoafPinch-a-Loaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This may or may not be helpful to you, but www.myxertones.com will let you upload an .mp3 and choose what section you want to use as your ringtone (up to 60 seconds I think?).

It works differently for different phones, but for mine it sends me a picture text with the tone attached. Options > Save As Ringtone, and I'm done.

Works really well for my phone, but some other phones are not compatible or just get texted a url to go to on their phone to download the tone. If that's the case, it's not really worth it.

Pinch-a-Loaf on