As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can I do this paper-zine in Flash?

tybeettybeet Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so my friend and I publish a paper 'zine throughout the school year, and we have 12 issues at about ~28 pages each, and I'd like to create one of those snazzy flash-zines like MagWerk (http://magwerk.com), though I realize it'll probably be a little simpler.

The trouble is, I don't know much about the ways of Actionscript, but in programmer's terms I know what I should be accomplishing with this, so maybe someone can translate?

For starters, I have these images which sorta show what I'm going for:
Page 1 -> Page 2 with a page-curl transition (which I produced in photoshop with a plugin)

page0_uncurl.jpg
page0_curl.jpg
page1_uncurl.jpg

What should happen in my mind, and I suppose I'm thinking in html/javascript, is that a person should mouseover one of the corners (imagemap style), and it should produce the curl-image transition (image-swapping from 1->2), then when clicked, the page image should change (like turning the page). This would be on both corners (fwd & back navigation style).

I can't seem to find the actionscript functions for mouseover, or how to produce a flash-imagemap anywhere. Can anyone help?

tybeet on

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try www.kirupa.com they have tons of tutorials.

Ataxrxes on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can't really help with the programming or HTML aspect of this, but I just wanted to say that I really like the visual styling of your Zine, and I think it would be a real shame if you lost this by adopting a boring old 'page curl' linking. I think you've achieved something quite interesting in your magazine by blatantly shunning all the norms of publication, and I think you should really be aiming to continue that onto your website. My fear is that with the page curl idea you suggest, your website will read as more of an archive of the pages, when I think you have the potential to create something much more imagantive and in keeping with your 'ad-hoc' approach to publication.

I'm at a loss to describe what approaches you could take in this, I really don't think it has to be anything flashy at all. But it's maybe just food for thought that your website really shouldn't jar with the idea's and manifesto described in your publication. Good luck though, I do like your stuff.

Ponge on
  • Options
    tybeettybeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey thanks for the link, that site looks super handy.

And Ponge: no worries man, I appreciate your comments but this actually is entirely for archival purposes - we push it out into ~70 people's campus mailboxes every 2 weeks when the school year is running (these are people who are on a small fee-less subscriber list), and then pump out around 150 copies extra which we leave in a wooden desk in our student building for anyone else to snag & read. We buy the paper in bulk from Staples and have access to a photocopier through a departmental connection (read: the head of Psychology is awesome).

Also. These images come from our first issue in which we had no idea what we were doing. 11 issues later we got it down to a pretty tight bi-weekly system of: round-up submissions, print, collage pages, then the next day we photocopy. It's like 12 hours of work every 2 weeks, but we love it.

We're doing the online version for people we know who go to other schools, and to accompany our music blog under the same head, but it's entirely secondary in nature.

tybeet on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fair enough really. I think it's good that you all put a lot of time into it, and don't charge a penny for it. It's maybe just that I think it might lose something in the translation onto an archival website when it could transform into something a bit more 'out-there' and in keeping with the nature of the material. Although I can totally understand that that's an even bigger time-sink than you currently have going!

Ponge on